ADVERTISEMENT

Lets see how the season plays out and hope for the Best

JRHawk2003

HR King
Jul 9, 2003
At least that's what I am going to do. Last year is last year. Its over. I have concerns like everyone else, but at this point I want the team to do well and I hope for the best. We all wanted CJB and now we have him. Our young LB's have a year under their belts.

Lets give it a chance for now. If they do poorly, then its understandable. They cant lose to either ISU. We need a 4-0 start.

I'm praying that the Hawkeyes win the CFP for all of time, I don't care who the coach is. Goldie Hawn could coach the team, Andy Dick could coach the team, Scott Bakula could coach the team, and I'd still pray for us to win the CFP.

I am just sick of the negativity. It wasn't this bad in 1978, and thats saying something.

Is this how its going to be? perpetual pissed off people because we are not 10-2 or 9-3 every year?

Reactions: fifteenandoh
I am just sick of the negativity. It wasn't this bad in 1978, and thats saying something.

Is this how its going to be? perpetual pissed off people because we are not 10-2 or 9-3 every year?
Such a dumb post. Who has said they would be pissed off if we weren't 10-2 or 9-3 every year? Excuse me....perpetually pissed off.

Also, lol at the 1978 comparison. I'm sure back then, the various message boards,twitter, facebook, etc...... were just lit up with comparable negativity.

You mean there were no online outlets in 1978? No Sheet Sherlock....Do you think people didn't communicate before the Internet?

Judging by whats seen 7-5 or 8-4 are never acceptable records for some people. It can be worse, a lot worse.

You mean there were no online outlets in 1978? No Sheet Sherlock....Do you think people didn't communicate before the Internet?

Judging by whats seen 7-5 or 8-4 are never acceptable records for some people. It can be worse, a lot worse.

check out the schedules the last few years

The record matters but there are other factors that put the overall record in perspective. We have a .500 record at home over the last 4-5 years, lost to some historically bad ISU teams including the last 2 at home, lost to MAC schools, have won very few trophy games recently, have been passed by programs like MSU, Wisky and now Minny who we were on equal footing with or much better than in the case of Minny, lagged in recruiting, ran off or did not play the few younger players that looked like they had talent to help us win and the head coach seemed to have no sense of urgency on anything (like fans should be ashamed of having expectations).

I am flipping the page and want to give this year's team a chance. It is a new year and I am super excited to see CJB even if he has zero blocking but KF needs to show that winning and/or the process of winning matters.

Last edited:
Reactions: EZ2BJZ
Not only does winning matter but I think Iowa needs to blow people out. When they are up 17 they need to lay on the gas and try to bury people. Quit playing not to lose once winning. Play to run the score up so you can get some back ups in there to see what they are made of. This will help with our In game reps and will allow to develop younger talent and keep more kids interested in the program. Which then will hopefully lead to less transfers.

Not only does winning matter but I think Iowa needs to blow people out. When they are up 17 they need to lay on the gas and try to bury people. Quit playing not to lose once winning. Play to run the score up so you can get some back ups in there to see what they are made of. This will help with our In game reps and will allow to develop younger talent and keep more kids interested in the program. Which then will hopefully lead to less transfers.

+ 1000 and quit apologizing for scoring late in games with backups (ie Purdue).

Solution: just win.

I would put ISU on top of the list of "must" wins in terms of changing the lingering negativity around Ferentz. A win will not dramatically change the landscape but another loss will probably cause the fence-sitters to jump.

lol Do you think calling a couple of your pals on your new touch tone telephone in 1978 is remotely comparable in communication to to the social media craze now?

Also, i see you have lowered your hyperbolic perpetual 10-2 and 9-3 seasons, to never happy with 8-4 and 7-5 years. Still hyperbole but you're making progress,i guess.

I'd say it was closer to 50/50 give or take a few.

Maybe on this board it might have seemed 50-50 (I remember some polls showing more like 65-35 in favor of CJB myself). In real life, "everybody" I spoke with seemed to be a Beathard fan. We all acknowledged that JR did some things well, but we also all wanted to see more CJB, even if it was just bringing him in on certain situations or for a few series against the wind. Plenty of programs do that type of thing, after all.

All that said, I'm thrilled to have him as the starter now. I do wish JR were on Iowa's bench though.

Reactions: TankHawk
There we go, once again claiming as fact that 7-5 and 8-4 are "acceptable" to Ferentz supporters. I believe most would agree that given the schedules...those are disappointments to most who say they can "live" with those records, and are saying they aren't reasons to fire Ferentz. It certainly doesn't warrant the vitriol thrown at him.

He deserves criticism, just not misguided criticism. Anybody that states Kirk Ferentz doesn't want to win any more is utterly insane. He has made mistakes...but given his successes, it's ridiculous to think he's not a good coach any more. He deserves the chance to prove them wrong given Iowa hasn't turned into the 1970's version of the program. Yes, it can - and definitely has - been a LOT worse around these parts.

There are a certain segment of the posters on this board that I believe that...if Ferentz went 12-0 and won by an average margin of 20 points per win, that they would rip him because it wasn't an average margin of 30 points per game.

IMHO...to them, Kirk Ferentz isn't "insert flavor of the day head coach, mostly Bielema", and "insert flavor of the day head coach, mostly Bielema" would have won a title here by now. Which is utterly preposterous...but they are never wrong, so this board is what is currently is. Nearly unreadable.

ANY head coach would be better, period end of statement. Utterly insane line of thought...

If some folks here could have lived through the 70's, most of them would understand why Ferentz supporters believe last year and 2012 etc (anything less than 2002-2004 or even 2009) weren't reasons to go bridge and cement shoe shopping. Now, if Iowa goes 2-10 this year...then we'll talk. But anybody betting their house that it will happen are going to need a place to live come January 2016.

Maybe on this board it might have seemed 50-50 (I remember some polls showing more like 65-35 in favor of CJB myself). In real life, "everybody" I spoke with seemed to be a Beathard fan. We all acknowledged that JR did some things well, but we also all wanted to see more CJB, even if it was just bringing him in on certain situations or for a few series against the wind. Plenty of programs do that type of thing, after all.

All that said, I'm thrilled to have him as the starter now. I do wish JR were on Iowa's bench though.

I could go along with that. I think more fans favored Beathard over Ruddock.

Early on, I thought Ferentz should have used a platoon strategy with both QBs. Not sure if it would have worked but there were a few games where Beathard could have been utilized but wasn't.

Could not agree more. Hayden use to do it and some of his guys like Stoops and Bielema are the same way. Don't let the other team have an ounce of hope.

There we go, once again claiming as fact that 7-5 and 8-4 are "acceptable" to Ferentz supporters. I believe most would agree that given the schedules...those are disappointments to most who say they can "live" with those records, and are saying they aren't reasons to fire Ferentz. It certainly doesn't warrant the vitriol thrown at him.

He deserves criticism, just not misguided criticism. Anybody that states Kirk Ferentz doesn't want to win any more is utterly insane. He has made mistakes...but given his successes, it's ridiculous to think he's not a good coach any more. He deserves the chance to prove them wrong given Iowa hasn't turned into the 1970's version of the program. Yes, it can - and definitely has - been a LOT worse around these parts.

There are a certain segment of the posters on this board that I believe that...if Ferentz went 12-0 and won by an average margin of 20 points per win, that they would rip him because it wasn't an average margin of 30 points per game.

IMHO...to them, Kirk Ferentz isn't "insert flavor of the day head coach, mostly Bielema", and "insert flavor of the day head coach, mostly Bielema" would have won a title here by now. Which is utterly preposterous...but they are never wrong, so this board is what is currently is. Nearly unreadable.

ANY head coach would be better, period end of statement. Utterly insane line of thought...

If some folks here could have lived through the 70's, most of them would understand why Ferentz supporters believe last year and 2012 etc (anything less than 2002-2004 or even 2009) weren't reasons to go bridge and cement shoe shopping. Now, if Iowa goes 2-10 this year...then we'll talk. But anybody betting their house that it will happen are going to need a place to live come January 2016.
Those bad teams in the 70's didn't have a Top 5 paid Head Coach leading the program. With high compensation comes high expectations, and not being so much as ranked for 5 years with a Head Coach who is STILL in the Top Ten paid Coaches in College Football is absolutely unbelievable. Does anyone besides Kirk Ferentz hold this distinction?

Are you satisfied with 7 wins with no wins against winning teams and a loss to a horrible 2-win ISU team? Come on man, this didn't happen overnight. Our program has been on the decline for 3 seasons.

Who ever is satisfied with the state of iowa football needs to have their head examined.
What we have be witnessing on the field the last few years has been nothing short of a joke.

Reactions: Bigfann1966
I am not satisfied. I take a longer term look at it. I believe this season is critical and if they tank its probably time for a change. Iowa Football is going to go through ups and downs, its been proven historically that its tough for us to maintain. I still think KF is a good coach, and that he can have one more good run left in him here.

I don't care how we do it, I just want to win 9 games and get to a decent bowl game. I do not care if we lose to ISU, Ill State, or Pitt. I just want the hawks to consistently win 8-9 games. The talent is there, now if the coaches can use it and be successful. If we lose games because we are too conservative then I will be upset. I am always a supporter of the hawks and will be there cheering for them this year at times. Hoping they can get to 8-9 wins this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT