ADVERTISEMENT

Linebacker Depth

ft254

HR Legend
Gold Member
Jun 3, 2003
No doubt the most troublesome position. Anemic recruiting has left gaping holes. Many have problems with rating evaluations, and individual evaluations are iffy, but when looking at multiple players, aggregate amounts become meaningful and difficult to argue.

Rating
Grimm RSFR 2* 5.4
Mends RSFR 3* 5.5
Outesy RSFR 3* 5.6
Perry SR 2* 5.2
Bower SO 2* 5.3
Jewell SO 2* 5.3
Niemann SO 2* 5.4
Cole SR 3* 5.5
Cerney RSFR Walk On
Sobotka RSFR Walk On

Originally posted by ft254:

No doubt the most troublesome position. Anemic recruiting has left gaping holes.  Many have problems with rating evaluations, and individual evaluations are iffy, but when looking at multiple players, aggregate amounts become meaningful and difficult to argue. 

Rating  
Grimm  RSFR  2*    5.4
Mends  RSFR  3*    5.5
Outesy RSFR  3*    5.6
Perry  SR  2*    5.2
Bower    SO  2*    5.3
Jewell    SO  2*    5.3
Niemann  SO  2* 5.4
Cole   SR 3* 5.5
Cerney    RSFR Walk On
Sobotka  RSFR Walk On
Last year they were not a strength, but if you did not see any upside to that position for the future than I just don't think you actually paid attention.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

The future is a possible upside, providing the talent is adequate, but recruiting has to be year to year to year. That is why landing high quality recruits each and every year is so important.

Reactions: greenelite
This position scared the cap out of me last year, and it still leaves me unsettled. If we can field even a mediocre linebacker corp, we should have a decent defense.

This group is young, inexperienced and not that physical. I need something to help hold my breath with, but I got nothing... Was there anyone that impressed during the practice??

How about any of the reserves? Aaron Mends? Anyone else? Anyone....

The future is a possible upside, providing the talent is adequate, but recruiting has to be year to year to year. That is why landing high quality recruits each and every year is so important.
This. Not doing this is what continues to kill Iowa, not at just the LB position, but every position. Iowa isn't a reload team like a tOUSU, but they shouldn't have such large drops in talent like with the LBs last year.

I think this year LB play will be much improved. Last year Bower, Jewell and Niemann all showed flashes but were just too green to do it on a consistent basis. With another year under their belt I think they will be just fine this season and could be pretty darn good next season. Mends/Outsey/Perry/Fisher should provide adequet backup and help push the 1s.

Did Niemann even play Lb last year? I thought he only played a little special teams... KF needs to play who the best players are. Not the most experienced. Now is the time to let others make a move. But like the OP said, you need to recruit every year. Not sure there is anyone in the depth that can surpass the 2s we have playing as starters...?

Originally posted by hawkeyeguy69:
Did Niemann even play Lb last year? I thought he only played a little special teams... KF needs to play who the best players are. Not the most experienced. Now is the time to let others make a move. But like the OP said, you need to recruit every year. Not sure there is anyone in the depth that can surpass the 2s we have playing as starters...?
Yes, Niemann actually got game reps at LB.

I have a feeling Jewell could have a big season, fast kid who was getting his bearings last year and knows how to make a play, I think this linebacking core may surprise us.

Bower showed very good speed on pass rush last year but missed the QB by not being under control, he will only get better. I agree that Jewell got better as the season progressed. Neiman is the kid I'm really excited about. Very good athlete and the blocked punt and TD against Nebraska shows this lids skill set.

Please keep in mind that two were redshirt freshmen and the third a true freshmen. Future is bright for our LBers.

Neiman is in the same boat as Jewell and Bower last year. Decent ability and could be good players after they've had time to develop. Due to a recruiting failure, it's Neiman's turn this year to get thrown to the wolves about 2 years earlier than he should.

Originally posted by InsaneHawk:

The future is a possible upside, providing the talent is adequate, but recruiting has to be year to year to year.  That is why landing high quality recruits each and every year is so important. 
This.  Not doing this is what continues to kill Iowa, not at just the LB position, but every position.  Iowa isn't a reload team like a tOUSU, but they shouldn't have such large drops in talent like with the LBs last year.  
It seems that any time we have a set of really good lb's that this happens when they leave.

There is absolutely no reason why Iowa's depth (at pretty much every position) should be this questionable. Why is it? Because of Kirk and this staff. Too many walkons ... too many Iowa kids ... this is not a Big 10 roster. This is far from it. This absolutely mirrors Hayden's last few years. You could see it on the field during his last 2 years. And you could see it last year when Tennessee absolutely manhandled and embarrassed us.

Tennessee could have scored 70 points on us if it wanted. We looked like a junior college team from Idaho out there on the field. Tennessee was better if every aspect ... They were a lot bigger and faster ... Sorry, but sure the linebacker corp may be better this year but Iowa's talent level has dropped off tremendously.

Some day even the die-hard koolaid drinkers will wake up see that Kirk is simply not getting it done and he no longer will. Wait until next year ... and moving forward ... when the big boys start to come back on the schedule. Iowa football will get much uglier before it gets better ... as long as keep Kirk on the sideline ... Count on it...

Reactions: B1G
I think Jewell showed a lot of promise last year. Bower and Ben Niemann did as well. It sounds like Mends has been progressing this spring. My hope is that by the start of games Jewell, Niemann, and Mends/Outsey are the LBs. With Bower, Perry, and Fisher as the backups.

No doubt the most troublesome position. Anemic recruiting has left gaping holes. Many have problems with rating evaluations, and individual evaluations are iffy, but when looking at multiple players, aggregate amounts become meaningful and difficult to argue.

Rating
Grimm RSFR 2* 5.4
Mends RSFR 3* 5.5
Outesy RSFR 3* 5.6
Perry SR 2* 5.2
Bower SO 2* 5.3
Jewell SO 2* 5.3
Niemann SO 2* 5.4
Cole SR 3* 5.5
Cerney RSFR Walk On
Sobotka RSFR Walk On
Basically what this says is that Iowa has what amounts to 3 walkon LBs this season. ISH!

Rating
Grimm RSFR 2* 5.4
Mends RSFR 3* 5.5
Outesy RSFR 3* 5.6
Perry SR 2* 5.2
Bower SO 2* 5.3
Jewell SO 2* 5.3
Niemann SO 2* 5.4
Cole SR 3* 5.5
Cerney RSFR Walk On
Sobotka RSFR Walk On

I'm optimistic about this bunch and expect them to perform much better than last year. The lb corps has missed a strong run deterrent for years though. Hodge if i'm right was the last iowa lb to really lay wood. Even the 2013 bunch lacked such a guy.

Kenny is the only LB on our roster who had the makeup of a D1 LB coming out of high school. We need him to step up in a major way and move into the starting lineup before we enter Big 10 season. The guy has the most upside of anyone.

Kenny is the only LB on our roster who had the makeup of a D1 LB coming out of high school. We need him to step up in a major way and move into the starting lineup before we enter Big 10 season. The guy has the most upside of anyone.

What do you mean by 'makeup'?

I'm optimistic about this bunch and expect them to perform much better than last year. The lb corps has missed a strong run deterrent for years though. Hodge if i'm right was the last iowa lb to really lay wood. Even the 2013 bunch lacked such a guy.
Obviously didn't watch the 2013 bunch play. Kirksey and Hitchens had lots of big hits.

I think this could be a good LB group but they are another year away. No way those guys should have been playing last year and they probably still shouldn't be playing this year. With proper roster management and recruiting those guys should have been red shirted last year and be playing special teams this year.

Reactions: mcljd
I think this could be a good LB group but they are another year away. No way those guys should have been playing last year and they probably still shouldn't be playing this year. With proper roster management and recruiting those guys should have been red shirted last year and be playing special teams this year.

Well Bower and Jewell were both redshirts. But you are right they shouldn't have been forced into action last year.

There is absolutely no reason why Iowa's depth (at pretty much every position) should be this questionable. Why is it? Because of Kirk and this staff. Too many walkons ... too many Iowa kids ... this is not a Big 10 roster. This is far from it. This absolutely mirrors Hayden's last few years. You could see it on the field during his last 2 years. And you could see it last year when Tennessee absolutely manhandled and embarrassed us.

Tennessee could have scored 70 points on us if it wanted. We looked like a junior college team from Idaho out there on the field. Tennessee was better if every aspect ... They were a lot bigger and faster ... Sorry, but sure the linebacker corp may be better this year but Iowa's talent level has dropped off tremendously.

Some day even the die-hard koolaid drinkers will wake up see that Kirk is simply not getting it done and he no longer will. Wait until next year ... and moving forward ... when the big boys start to come back on the schedule. Iowa football will get much uglier before it gets better ... as long as keep Kirk on the sideline ... Count on it...

Moron simpleton who has never been Outside the state. Just saying. And you know it's true

Clearly you weren't watching games so your comments don't have much impact on me.

Clearly you weren't watching games so your comments don't have much impact on me.

First off, I could give 2 sh_ts if my comments have any impact on you... But Pardon my enthusiasm over a kid who made a whopping 7 tackles last year. Clearly I need a shot of adrenalin to Bring my excitement level over the LB corp passed the "this is the worst unit on the field" stage....

Come fall these guys need to be the most improved unit on the field, by a landslide, IF Iowa is going to have any success as a team. They do not need to be the best, and they won't be near that, but they need to be at least average. They got a long way to go to reach agerage. 1. We need multiple players to step up. 2. Those that do step up need some PT.
We will see what happens. Fingers crossed.

If you don't see talent in that sophomore bunch then I don't know what to tell you. Mends and Outsey are good prospects as well. Garbutt and Hockaday are players.

Reactions: mcljd
I see some talent, yes. But I also see a lot of inexperience. This unit needs to make the biggest leap they have made in longer than I can remember as a unit. As the defense is going to be what carries this team from our horrible team season last year, to a KF career saving season next year... Thankfully, the DL will be strong, along with a good set of DBs. This will give the LB'ers their chance to do their job. If the LBs do their job, there will not be a weak unit on the D.

Reactions: mcljd and leebaz
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT