ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like a big dip in season ticket sales

ThatsFootball

HR All-State
Jan 3, 2015
Reactions: Floyd_Of_Rosedale
Its fair to say that Ferentz has lost a significant number of former supporters. At the same time, part of the lower sales are reflective of a growing trend which is not peculiar to the University of Iowa. Bottom line: most will come back if the team is winning. I believe the staff, including KF, understands this.

Reactions: Bishop1971
I predict lower season tickets but increased single game tickets. So total tickets down a bit, but donations down a lot.

I predict lower season tickets but increased single game tickets. So total tickets down a bit, but donations down a lot.

That seems to be the trend which appears to correlate with the declining season ticket and lower student attendance across college football the past few years.

This is just my speculation but a portion of the lower sales might be attributed to a combination of factors - higher prices, the advent of HD television and viewer-friendly venues, restricted tailgating and/or drinking privaleges, other entertainment options, etc. As a result, I suspect many more fans are opting for single game tickets and targeting contests that especially interest them.

That is not deny, however, that many Hawkeye fans have decided to forego Iowa season tickets because they disapprove of the coach and/or recent performances.

Reactions: hawkfanmb
That seems to be the trend which appears to correlate with the declining season ticket and lower student attendance across college football the past few years.

This is just my speculation but a portion of the lower sales might be attributed to a combination of factors - higher prices, the advent of HD television and viewer-friendly venues, restricted tailgating and/or drinking privaleges, other entertainment options, etc. As a result, I suspect many more fans are opting for single game tickets and targeting contests that especially interest them.

That is not deny, however, that many Hawkeye fans have decided to forego Iowa season tickets because they disapprove of the coach and/or recent performances.

There's your #1 factor in the decreased season ticket sales at Iowa. Sure, the other factors may be playing a role, but it's no secret that the Iowa football program is floundering, and Iowa fans are tired of it. Like any other Iowa fan, I wish this weren't the case, but it's pretty plain to see. If the product on the field remains mediocre at best, ticket sales will continue to decline. If it improves, ticket sales will, too. Pretty simple, really.

Reactions: drnameloc
Season ticket sales are motivated a lot by hard to get tickets for big games. Since Iowa does not play big inter conference games, and besides being in a West Division with only Wisconsin as a draw, Delaney has Iowa playing Maryland, Rutgers, Indiana instead of marquee teams like Michigan and Ohio State. There is no reason to buy season tickets.

Reactions: Bishop1971
Season ticket sales are motivated a lot by hard to get tickets for big games. Since Iowa does not play big inter conference games, and besides being in a West Division with only Wisconsin as a draw, Delaney has Iowa playing Maryland, Rutgers, Indiana instead of marquee teams like Michigan and Ohio State. There is no reason to buy season tickets.
Prolly a gift to Iowa that they don't have to play OSU this year... I get that people would buy tickets to that game, but Iowa would be in that game for about 11 minutes at best....

Reactions: Mister Plow
I am generally not one to pile on...Barta and KF know that they have a problem on their hands, they know that their backs are up against the wall here. But, if I hear one more time about how awesome it was to lose a close one at home to Wisconsin last year, I think I am going to throw up. I get what they are trying to say, and I get the spin they are trying to put on it...but it is just embarrassing to have that sort of an argument be the best thing you have going. Moral victories and touting close losses are for crap programs. I hate to see that being the go-to arrow in our PR quiver right now.

"For the 2016 season, Barta said Iowa has sold in the neighborhood of 30,000 general public season tickets and has another 500 new buyers waiting for orders to be served. In 2014, Iowa sold 37,823 season tickets to the general public, its lowest number since selling 37,125 in 2009."

http://thegazette.com/subject/sports/iowa-expects-down-tick-in-football-season-tickets-20150507

Looks like quite a few people were serious about not renewing this year.
With single game sales total ticket sales may not be that much lower. I will be very interested to see what the donations are versus prior years.

I remember in the "Who is Renewing" thread here and in the lounge there were a couple posters who called out people for lying about even having tickets when they said they weren't renewing. Curious to see if they come back to admit they were wrong.

I have been an out of state season ticket holder for the last 29 years and a silver or golden hawkeye for most of that time. Hell, even my family and friends didn't believe me when I said I was fed up and done until real changes were made. Well I didn't renew and pretty sure my wife and I will enjoy our trip to France & Spain far more than watching Iowa football this October.

I remember in the "Who is Renewing" thread here and in the lounge there were a couple posters who called out people for lying about even having tickets when they said they weren't renewing. Curious to see if they come back to admit they were wrong.
If the weather in November is anything close to normal, it's really gonna get ugly. Anything in the 7-5/6-6 range is only making it worse for 2016. I seriously doubt KF gives a rip about the fans opinions, but Barta better damn well care. Heck... these cupcake OOC games aren't even guaranteed wins anymore.

Its fair to say that Ferentz has lost a significant number of former supporters. At the same time, part of the lower sales are reflective of a growing trend which is not peculiar to the University of Iowa. Bottom line: most will come back if the team is winning. I believe the staff, including KF, understands this.

I disagree that most of the fans who've not renewed will be back if the team starts winning again; once fans are out, multiple other activities will take the place of football, and the old tailgating groups will not be there anymore. We're out this year after 25 years and we'll just never get back into it again. It would never be the same for us; it's gone...

Reactions: WeWantDiaco
I disagree that most of the fans who've not renewed will be back if the team starts winning again; once fans are out, multiple other activities will take the place of football, and the old tailgating groups will not be there anymore. We're out this year after 25 years and we'll just never get back into it again. It would never be the same for us; it's gone...

This is a great point that a lot of people don't get, especially if they've never been longtime (multiple decades) season ticket holders. There is a whole subset of the diehards in the fanbase that basically continue attending games because that's all they've ever known. Once these people leave the active fanbase, it's unlikely that they will ever return in any permanent sense because they've now seen life on the other side and realize that it's not the end of the world if they're not at every game.

This is a far different group of people than the newer fan whose only had tickets for a few years, decides to drop them when times are tough, then hops right back onto the bandwagon once the team starts winning again. You're talking about whittling away at the very core of the fanbase, and those people are irreplaceable, IMO.

I was a season ticket holder for 3 years, mostly because I lived in Seattle and Detroit after graduation so I was lucky to make a game a year. Now that I am in KC I can get back for them once and a while. My family used the ones that I didn't. I did not renew for the following reasons:

1. The coaching- I was in school for the death of Fry's career and the start of KF. I've seen this movie and I know how it ends. It gets really sad and stale.

2. The product- I sat through some really bad years early on in KF's tenure, but they showed me one thing that I don't see now which is improvement, entertainment, etc. You could see the teams improving and things going in the right direction. I think the wheels started falling off in 2010. How that team underperformed I can't understand. May be it was 2009 was more a miracle season (which it was to some extent). I will take a close game against Wisconsin because on another day it means we may win. We would be evenly matched. I will not take blow out losses like Tennessee and Minnesota. Kirk's old mantra was keep games close and if we execute we win. We aren't even doing that to average teams.

3. Tailgating is eroding. Yes the cops were worse but our now better. Most important thing is locations are gone from my youth- Fieldhouse lot, hill behind the Kum and Go, Olive court closing, etc. Last game I went to I parked in Coralville at the mall. Can't exactly tailgate there. I took the Hawkeye express which is nice because my young kids love trains. However, that is never going to be a tailgate experience.

4. People in this country are getting too fat. I can't sit in a seat with my eight year old and have any space.

5. Recruiting- We were never able to spin success in recruiting off big win seasons. I can't figure that out.

6. Finally, no one even wanted my extra tickets.....FOR FREE. I couldn't give them away.

Yes, winning will cure a lot. Right now we are a cancer patient on hospice.

Reactions: WeWantDiaco

I have to agree with this. The decline of tailgating locations near the stadium is going to hurt young people forming those groups which will have an impact over the long-term

I think the U missed THE big opportunity when they remodeled Kinnick instead of building a new stadium out by the Soccer fields as was supposedly intended; if Minnesota with their anemic fan base did it, I have to think Iowa could have done it. You would have restored tailgating to something approaching what it had been, where the fans again felt part of something big and cool, where you could park near all your friends or easily walk over to see them. They could have set up an area recreating the old Melrose experience also. With the progressively broken up and worsening tailgating parking situation as it is now, we felt progressively more isolated and less and less a part of something unique and interesting. Combine that with a boring product on the field, and a feeling of being taken for granted by a distant and disinterested athletic administration, and we're out. I take no pleasure in this, have no sense of superiority, but rather feel only sadness for what was and what might have been. I fear that it cannot be put whole again; I can remember when people truly would express envy when they heard you had season tickets, when giving somebody tickets would absolutely thrill people. Last year, as others have related, we also couldn't give away our tickets. Taking fans for granted, continually eroding the gameday experience is a slippery slope that only gets steeper. I know they are finally realizing that, and hopefully we'll see some results; giving me a coupon for the concession stand didn't work.

I didn't renew my 4 tickets after 14 years of having them. It was a combination of things. The abysmal product on the field, the abysmal home schedule this year, the mandatory donations, the erosion of the tailgating experience, and me getting older.

It actually felt good not spending that 1500$. Anybody else get an email asking, "Are you really sure you don't want to renew your tickets," from the athletic department? They extended the deadline to May 20th for me in case I change my mind.

I haven't lived in the Midwest for many years and having watched events unfold over time from a distance you could see this decline coming. Barta seems to have woken up but the current administration has simply never cared. Didn't realize reading the thread that they considered replacing Kinnick at one time which seems interesting. How do they fix the eroded parking and tailgate situations? I have no clue and think the next administration along with probably a new AD will have to some problem solving. This seems like a great time for Barta to get out of dodge.

Reactions: RocknRollface
I was a season ticket holder for 3 years, mostly because I lived in Seattle and Detroit after graduation so I was lucky to make a game a year. Now that I am in KC I can get back for them once and a while. My family used the ones that I didn't. I did not renew for the following reasons:

1. The coaching- I was in school for the death of Fry's career and the start of KF. I've seen this movie and I know how it ends. It gets really sad and stale.

2. The product- I sat through some really bad years early on in KF's tenure, but they showed me one thing that I don't see now which is improvement, entertainment, etc. You could see the teams improving and things going in the right direction. I think the wheels started falling off in 2010. How that team underperformed I can't understand. May be it was 2009 was more a miracle season (which it was to some extent). I will take a close game against Wisconsin because on another day it means we may win. We would be evenly matched. I will not take blow out losses like Tennessee and Minnesota. Kirk's old mantra was keep games close and if we execute we win. We aren't even doing that to average teams.

3. Tailgating is eroding. Yes the cops were worse but our now better. Most important thing is locations are gone from my youth- Fieldhouse lot, hill behind the Kum and Go, Olive court closing, etc. Last game I went to I parked in Coralville at the mall. Can't exactly tailgate there. I took the Hawkeye express which is nice because my young kids love trains. However, that is never going to be a tailgate experience.

4. People in this country are getting too fat. I can't sit in a seat with my eight year old and have any space.

5. Recruiting- We were never able to spin success in recruiting off big win seasons. I can't figure that out.

6. Finally, no one even wanted my extra tickets.....FOR FREE. I couldn't give them away.

These were pretty spot on with why we did not renew our tickets as well. Last year there were 7 home games and we went to three. The other games, I literally couldn't give my tickets away, let alone sell them.

I think Kirk has done great things at Iowa, yes things don't look so great at this time. My opinion is Gary Barta and the marketing dept are the weak link. 6-6 looks about right for this team this year.

You might be gone, but there are new Hawkeye fans born everyday and one of them will eventually replace you... I saw this happen after Cummings and even after Hayden...and it will happen again after Ferentz either sinks or swims this year.

You had a respectable run, Accipiter. 25 years, while not unusually long, is nothing to sneeze at. You will be missed this season...but not for long.

I haven't lived in the Midwest for many years and having watched events unfold over time from a distance you could see this decline coming. Barta seems to have woken up but the current administration has simply never cared. Didn't realize reading the thread that they considered replacing Kinnick at one time which seems interesting. How do they fix the eroded parking and tailgate situations? I have no clue and think the next administration along with probably a new AD will have to some problem solving. This seems like a great time for Barta to get out of dodge.

The current athletic department is hard at work on this problem, so we can all sleep soundly. I'm sure there will be another two or three donation levels added and with more reserved parking for those levels so long as you agree to not drink, not smoke, not grill, not take cover from the weather, and not make any sound. There might even be a parking lot in Marion you can park in and have a bus take you back and forth. How awesome would that be?! The Kinnick Lot honestly looked like the Chernobyl Amusement Park parking lot last year at times. You could have parked a yacht anywhere you wanted and still had room to spare - I mean, so long as you didn't cross the police tape/donation level separation tape. Mr. Jennings must be so proud of himself for freeing up all those spaces. Now you can drive in and park a freight train 2 minutes before game time - no problem.

I would have also loved to have been in the room when the suggestion of adding a coupon for cheaper hawkeye gear and concessions was presented as THE solution. That had to be a George Costanza suggestion.

I just joined HawkeyeReport, as my message total reflects. I have long read these boards, and have had fun doing so. But, admittedly, these boards seem to be deteriorating. I understand fans being disappointed about not having good/great seasons, but I feel perspective has been lost, somewhat.

I concur with the dislike of having mandatory donations for season ticket holders, in order to maintain the quality of their seats. I think about the 70 year old, that has had tickets his whole adult life, and then can't afford to maintain them. I don't like that. This is a direct result of the arms race going on in college athletics, with regards to having better and better facilities. People should understand, there is no bigger Hawkeye fan than I am. However, it makes me uncomfortable to see the amount of money being put into athletic programs, for things that seem aesthetically pleasing, but unneeded. Everyone does it, that can, so Bowlsby was correct in his arms race comment. I wish there was a cap for everyone, with regards to this, but I would assume that would be considered communism by some. If someone has that much disposable income, why not donate it to medical research, or something similar.

About Ferentz. I was just watching the Arizona game from 2010. There were a lot of good players on that team. Iowa finished the season beating a ranked Missouri team in the bowl game, but undoubtedly lost some games it probably could have won, and lost a couple that were 7 points or less. They did handle Penn State, Michigan, and Michigan State if I remember correctly. What I thought was telling in that replay, was Bob Davie reading a graphic that stated Iowa had finished in the Top Ten, 4 of the last 8 years. I don't care who you are(except for the obvious)that's pretty good. This is 4 seasons removed from today. Now Kirk Ferentz is a terrible coach, and Iowa Football doesn't know what it's doing? I even have read quotes questioning his character. That to me is completely absurd. UI and its fans,(it is an academic institution first), should be proud to have him here, when it comes to this issue. And without knowing the numbers, I assume there is a vast number that are. I have said this before to people, and believe me, no one wants to win more than I do. I've been going to Iowa games since I was seven. But, if I had to choose, I would have a poor football team with good ethics, than the other way around. I think most would. However, I think we have both. The last few years have been down(meaning hovering near the mean), but that happens to most schools. Does anyone remember Fry's last decade? There wasn't the instant communication technology, like there is now,and I don't know if fans were on him like they are on Ferentz, but I doubt it. And we still, in my opinion, have a respected program, with a respected man leading it.

This is a board that invites opinion and debate. This is good. I just wish it could be done without the disrespect and personal attacks. We are talking about sports, not geopolitics.

I've written a lot, I know. But, I have been thinking about these things for awhile, and felt like venting them. I wish everyone on here the best, and obviously, GO HAWKS.

I think the U missed THE big opportunity when they remodeled Kinnick instead of building a new stadium out by the Soccer fields as was supposedly intended; if Minnesota with their anemic fan base did it, I have to think Iowa could have done it. You would have restored tailgating to something approaching what it had been, where the fans again felt part of something big and cool, where you could park near all your friends or easily walk over to see them. They could have set up an area recreating the old Melrose experience also. With the progressively broken up and worsening tailgating parking situation as it is now, we felt progressively more isolated and less and less a part of something unique and interesting. Combine that with a boring product on the field, and a feeling of being taken for granted by a distant and disinterested athletic administration, and we're out. I take no pleasure in this, have no sense of superiority, but rather feel only sadness for what was and what might have been. I fear that it cannot be put whole again; I can remember when people truly would express envy when they heard you had season tickets, when giving somebody tickets would absolutely thrill people. Last year, as others have related, we also couldn't give away our tickets. Taking fans for granted, continually eroding the gameday experience is a slippery slope that only gets steeper. I know they are finally realizing that, and hopefully we'll see some results; giving me a coupon for the concession stand didn't work.

You might be gone, but there are new Hawkeye fans born everyday and one of them will eventually replace you... I saw this happen after Cummings and even after Hayden...and it will happen again after Ferentz either sinks or swims this year.

You had a respectable run, Accipiter. 25 years, while not unusually long, is nothing to sneeze at. You will be missed this season...but not for long.

Well that's certainly the attitude that the administration took when they decided to start diminishing the experience.

To assume there is no breaking point is interesting.

I just joined HawkeyeReport, as my message total reflects. I have long read these boards, and have had fun doing so. But, admittedly, these boards seem to be deteriorating. I understand fans being disappointed about not having good/great seasons, but I feel perspective has been lost, somewhat.

I concur with the dislike of having mandatory donations for season ticket holders, in order to maintain the quality of their seats. I think about the 70 year old, that has had tickets his whole adult life, and then can't afford to maintain them. I don't like that. This is a direct result of the arms race going on in college athletics, with regards to having better and better facilities. People should understand, there is no bigger Hawkeye fan than I am. However, it makes me uncomfortable to see the amount of money being put into athletic programs, for things that seem aesthetically pleasing, but unneeded. Everyone does it, that can, so Bowlsby was correct in his arms race comment. I wish there was a cap for everyone, with regards to this, but I would assume that would be considered communism by some. If someone has that much disposable income, why not donate it to medical research, or something similar.

About Ferentz. I was just watching the Arizona game from 2010. There were a lot of good players on that team. Iowa finished the season beating a ranked Missouri team in the bowl game, but undoubtedly lost some games it probably could have won, and lost a couple that were 7 points or less. They did handle Penn State, Michigan, and Michigan State if I remember correctly. What I thought was telling in that replay, was Bob Davie reading a graphic that stated Iowa had finished in the Top Ten, 4 of the last 8 years. I don't care who you are(except for the obvious)that's pretty good. This is 4 seasons removed from today. Now Kirk Ferentz is a terrible coach, and Iowa Football doesn't know what it's doing? I even have read quotes questioning his character. That to me is completely absurd. UI and its fans,(it is an academic institution first), should be proud to have him here, when it comes to this issue. And without knowing the numbers, I assume there is a vast number that are. I have said this before to people, and believe me, no one wants to win more than I do. I've been going to Iowa games since I was seven. But, if I had to choose, I would have a poor football team with good ethics, than the other way around. I think most would. However, I think we have both. The last few years have been down(meaning hovering near the mean), but that happens to most schools. Does anyone remember Fry's last decade? There wasn't the instant communication technology, like there is now,and I don't know if fans were on him like they are on Ferentz, but I doubt it. And we still, in my opinion, have a respected program, with a respected man leading it.

This is a board that invites opinion and debate. This is good. I just wish it could be done without the disrespect and personal attacks. We are talking about sports, not geopolitics.

I've written a lot, I know. But, I have been thinking about these things for awhile, and felt like venting them. I wish everyone on here the best, and obviously, GO HAWKS.

That's quite a stretch to try and bring seasons that are beyond a decade ago into the conversation.

That's ancient history.

Iowa been mediocre for ten years and below mediocre since Norm Parker retired.

This athletic department took the fans for granted, grew incredibly stale and past due for a change in head coach and athletic director. The one saving grace is Mason is on the way out which should get the ball rolling.

Reactions: djwoody
Well that's certainly the attitude that the administration took when they decided to start diminishing the experience.

To assume there is no breaking point is interesting.

We are living through the breaking point now. Everyone, including Ferentz knows that 2015 is a rebound season or a change will be made. A 9 win season this year and the interest will flare up again and new Hawk fans will begin to fill in Kinnick again. Everything runs in cycles. We have seen the low point in the cycle. The front runners will drop out during this low point in the cycle and a newer more energenic fans base will appear.

Norm Parker built what was....Kirk Ferentz's only contribution is in forcing the Norm Parker defense to work harder to compensate for his offensive ineptitude. And they did it for some years.

Being the defensive coordinator at Iowa with a Kirk Ferentz offense at the helm will always be a challenge.

Kirk Ferentz should give credit to Norm Parker for every shining moment he's had at IOWA.

I made up my mind to not renew my four when KF confirmed that his brilliant strategy to turn things around was to just continue doing things the exact same way (but maybe spend more time in the office). Changes needed to happen it the offseason that didn't. It will be a miracle if we win seven games this year, even with the weak schedule. The defense may be a little better, but the OL is going to be a train wreck. CJ is going to get murdered out there. White and Davis should have been fired.

Season tickets? Lol. Scalp those bad boys and save your money you crazy old fools! Oh wait, you're the ones selling me those tickets.

nicolas-cage-laughing.gif

I am generally not one to pile on...Barta and KF know that they have a problem on their hands, they know that their backs are up against the wall here. But, if I hear one more time about how awesome it was to lose a close one at home to Wisconsin last year, I think I am going to throw up. I get what they are trying to say, and I get the spin they are trying to put on it...but it is just embarrassing to have that sort of an argument be the best thing you have going. Moral victories and touting close losses are for crap programs. I hate to see that being the go-to arrow in our PR quiver right now.

So true and yet so sad because this is the same pathetic thing ISU does all the time to try and sell their turd of a football program.

I really don't want to go back and forth here, but if I'm correct, Iowa finished 7th in the final AP and Coaches Polls, for the 2009 season. That is 5 seasons removed, not a decade, or 12, or 13 or whatever. They have not finished that high the last 5 years, but I didn't say that.

Reactions: Big D 23
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT