ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like a big dip in season ticket sales

I don't get the whole "integrity" thing either. Naked greed, nepotism, snarkiness with the media; he invents an award for the rhabdo coach; tonedeaf; chases off QB's by the truckload, etc. The level of denial from the cult makes me think they're Obama voters.

If he had half the integrity that his supporters claim, he would flat give the university back his salary after a turd season like last year. It's not like he needs the money to live on, and he sure as hell didn't earn it.

Jesus, if you parked at the Coralridge mall you really shouldn't be complaining about tailgating.

I think you are misinterpreting my point. That particular day I wanted to park there so my six yo could ride the train. My point is there is parking behind the IHOP where people were tailgating, but it was already full. The overflow and extra parking runs into Coralridge mall which you can't use if you wanted to.

My whole point is that the U of I thinks that is a viable parking option to put people way out in Coralville (and other distant parking locations) for game day. They are completely robbed of what I think of as the game day experience. The Field House lot, hill behind Kum and Go, etc all used to be open to tailgating. They were all a short walk to the stadium. Using the University's logic they might as well set up shuttle buses to CR, Des Moines, and the Quad Cities.

They have managed to disburse people with more and more to distant locations and restricted access. As a result it is difficult to get together. Back in the late 90s you could park in different spots but most were walkable and you could meet at a central location. That is not so today.

A great example is my med school reunion. There are only 175/class and may be 30-40 showed up. We had a meet up at the med school buildings sponsored by the University. That lasted about an hr. As for tailgating there was no way we could coordinate a get together even remotely close on campus. As a result we all disbursed and went our separate ways....what a great get together with old friends.

Last edited:
Reactions: WeWantDiaco
I think you are misinterpreting my point. That particular day I wanted to park there so my six yo could ride the train. My point is there is parking behind the IHOP where people were tailgating, but it was already full. The overflow and extra parking runs into Coralridge mall which you can't use if you wanted to.

Great, then don't use that anecdote to somehow emphasize the claim that there aren't tailgating locations anymore.

Those that say that there isn't "game by game" parking near Kinnick are either idiots or liars.

Uro, I'm not calling you out, other than to point out that you used the Coralridge example along with gameday parking issues. If you are taking the train....you clearly aren't parking near Kinnick.

Yes, for example, they closed the hill by Kum & Go, but the lot (Myrtle) is still open and is not a permit-lot. It was (for one year, iirc) due to the construction of the Football building/lots, but it is back open to public.

Sure it isn't Trice with acres of slabs to park on, but it never has been. There is parking all over the Kinnick area, within blocks, easy walking distance. And there are plenty of places for 30-40 people to meet. Hell, it only takes two vehicles parking together to serve that many tailgaters. But, if you are looking to set up a massive tent, multiple grills, and have a cordoned-off tailgating area specific to you....yeah that is hard to do without a lot of advanced planning. I'm not sure where that isn't the case.

Uro, don't let the comments scare you away, ask around, look around, there is still lots of parking close to the stadium.

WeWantDiaco, otoh, is just a belligerent fool who is proving he doesn't attend games. Comments like, "You just show up on gameday without a pre-paid pass or any agreement with a property owner? It's always reserved for you and your group and no other group ever takes over your location?" prove this. He wants a spot that he can "just show up on gameday" and get....but wants it "reserved"? Where, pray tell, can you do this?

Hell, if ticket sales are going to be as down as some are predicting on here, there will be great parking o' plenty, so don't let that hold anyone back. I will be in the yard, basically, behind Stellas, and it is always fun.

Reactions: hawkssox1
I just joined HawkeyeReport, as my message total reflects. I have long read these boards, and have had fun doing so. But, admittedly, these boards seem to be deteriorating. I understand fans being disappointed about not having good/great seasons, but I feel perspective has been lost, somewhat.

I concur with the dislike of having mandatory donations for season ticket holders, in order to maintain the quality of their seats. I think about the 70 year old, that has had tickets his whole adult life, and then can't afford to maintain them. I don't like that. This is a direct result of the arms race going on in college athletics, with regards to having better and better facilities. People should understand, there is no bigger Hawkeye fan than I am. However, it makes me uncomfortable to see the amount of money being put into athletic programs, for things that seem aesthetically pleasing, but unneeded. Everyone does it, that can, so Bowlsby was correct in his arms race comment. I wish there was a cap for everyone, with regards to this, but I would assume that would be considered communism by some. If someone has that much disposable income, why not donate it to medical research, or something similar.

About Ferentz. I was just watching the Arizona game from 2010. There were a lot of good players on that team. Iowa finished the season beating a ranked Missouri team in the bowl game, but undoubtedly lost some games it probably could have won, and lost a couple that were 7 points or less. They did handle Penn State, Michigan, and Michigan State if I remember correctly. What I thought was telling in that replay, was Bob Davie reading a graphic that stated Iowa had finished in the Top Ten, 4 of the last 8 years. I don't care who you are(except for the obvious)that's pretty good. This is 4 seasons removed from today. Now Kirk Ferentz is a terrible coach, and Iowa Football doesn't know what it's doing? I even have read quotes questioning his character. That to me is completely absurd. UI and its fans,(it is an academic institution first), should be proud to have him here, when it comes to this issue. And without knowing the numbers, I assume there is a vast number that are. I have said this before to people, and believe me, no one wants to win more than I do. I've been going to Iowa games since I was seven. But, if I had to choose, I would have a poor football team with good ethics, than the other way around. I think most would. However, I think we have both. The last few years have been down(meaning hovering near the mean), but that happens to most schools. Does anyone remember Fry's last decade? There wasn't the instant communication technology, like there is now,and I don't know if fans were on him like they are on Ferentz, but I doubt it. And we still, in my opinion, have a respected program, with a respected man leading it.

This is a board that invites opinion and debate. This is good. I just wish it could be done without the disrespect and personal attacks. We are talking about sports, not geopolitics.

I've written a lot, I know. But, I have been thinking about these things for awhile, and felt like venting them. I wish everyone on here the best, and obviously, GO HAWKS.
Well put! I am in total agreement. However, that said, there were some changes made that have been detrimental to Hawkeye football. When KOK left, we could have done better in replacing him. The loss of Norm was probably the biggest disaster. He could come up with a defensive game plan for any offense we were up against. Lastly, we have a head coach who still believes 17 points is enough to win games.

Reactions: Burbank84

My whole point is that the U of I thinks that is a viable parking option to put people way out in Coralville (and other distant parking locations) for game day. They are completely robbed of what I think of as the game day experience. The Field House lot, hill behind Kum and Go, etc all used to be open to tailgating. They were all a short walk to the stadium. Using the University's logic they might as well set up shuttle buses to CR, Des Moines, and the Quad Cities.

They have managed to disburse people with more and more to distant locations and restricted access. As a result it is difficult to get together. Back in the late 90s you could park in different spots but most were walkable and you could meet at a central location. That is not so today.

A great example is my med school reunion. There are only 175/class and may be 30-40 showed up. We had a meet up at the med school buildings sponsored by the University. That lasted about an hr. As for tailgating there was no way we could coordinate a get together even remotely close on campus. As a result we all disbursed and went our separate ways....what a great get together with old friends.

The Finkbine driving range could easily handle a group of that size

People that complain about parking obviously don't attend games and just read articles online.
Finkbine is a 12 minute walk from Kinnick. It's a cash-only parking lot that never fills up. Hard top and grass available for all of your games or tents.
You can also find premium parking passes on Craigslist and eBay ALL THE TIME. Last year, GH parking passes (think Dental Lot, 5 minute walk to Kinnick) were selling for 30 bucks. This year, it'll be cheaper than that.

There are also residential parking near Kinnick that you can pull up and park hours before kickoff.

And I don't want to hear about the police cracking down on the "fun" at tailgates. They did the first year Iowa tried to crackdown on excessive drinking. Iowa received a ton of criticism and the cops and security haven't enforced anything since. If you're not stumbling down the road or have blood shot eyes, you won't be in trouble.

And this is all ignoring downtown, where there is plenty of parking, and bars galore...even a bus that will get you within a 5 minute walk. There really is no reason to park in Coralville, especially the mall, unless you want to take the train.

Last season we showed up day of the Iowa/Nebraska game and parked in a church parking lot a few blocks up on Melrose. 20 bucks (if I remember right). Every game I have gone to, which is usually one a year, we find a place to park at a private lot along Melrose for $20 or so. Now, I will admit it is getting harder and harder to find those spots and you have to get there early enough to do so. The simple answer is for Iowa to build another nearby lot. The aerial view shows there is a large wooded area to the west of the stadium, directly across the tracks from the practice facility. Build a primitive lot in the woods (gravel, crushed rock, or another similar surface) that can be accessed via the Finkbine lot with a bridge over the railroad tracks. Maybe make an Iowa version of The Grove. TIme to get creative.

(I propose all this while heavily relying on my hazy remembrences of gameday and the use of Google maps. Meaning, I don't know what the elevation of that wooded area is, might be on a bluff or undevelopable).

The aerial view shows there is a large wooded area to the west of the stadium, directly across the tracks from the practice facility. Build a primitive lot in the woods (gravel, crushed rock, or another similar surface) that can be accessed via the Finkbine lot with a bridge over the railroad tracks. Maybe make an Iowa version of The Grove. TIme to get creative.

(I propose all this while heavily relying on my hazy remembrences of gameday and the use of Google maps. Meaning, I don't know what the elevation of that wooded area is, might be on a bluff or undevelopable).

If I am envisioning where you are talking about correctly, there is a house that does, in fact, park cars back in that wooded area. Problem is getting over the traintracks, so you still walk south to Melrose, cross the bridge.

We all know it's about revenue. When Iowa can no longer put butts in seats, things will change.

If I am envisioning where you are talking about correctly, there is a house that does, in fact, park cars back in that wooded area. Problem is getting over the traintracks, so you still walk south to Melrose, cross the bridge.
You must be talking about the wooded area which is south of the Finkbine lot and west of the tracks. It has quite a ravine in it, and a developer bought St Andrews Church on the south side of the woods, which came with 5-6 acres of land which he wants to turn into something like sixty condos (he even wanted to fill in the ravine and build houses there); it's a big dogfight. For multiple reasons I don't think the woods will ever be a parking lot, and the St Andrews parking lot will even disappear.

That's great, but look at the last 5 years. That's a pretty significant chunk of time to have gotten things "turned around". And it's not going in the right direction.

Sometimes it's just over. Hayden did a bunch of great things too but at a certain point it's over.
34-30 the last five years. It just happens to coincide after the 2009 season when a particular coach got a lifetime contract. That coach doesn't seem to be as motivated these days and the record and product show that. If you ask me that doesn't seem that classy. But maybe some people think a quote like "that's football" is classy. Seems more like it's smug and arrogant. But maybe that passes for classy these days.

Reactions: hawkeyesports92
Great, then don't use that anecdote to somehow emphasize the claim that there aren't tailgating locations anymore.

There aren't the ones that used to be there since the 8 years I was on campus from 1994-2002. Try the Field House lot or Hill behind the Kum and Go. You know how many cars used to park there?

Olive court closed which is not the University's doing but that also impacted things greatly.

Why would the University open up the Hawkeye express if there weren't issues? Somehow we managed to make it work all those years before. It must be because there is less parking around campus.

For those of those that think I didn't have season do you want me to snap a pic of my unused tixs

Last edited:
You must be talking about the wooded area which is south of the Finkbine lot and west of the tracks. It has quite a ravine in it, and a developer bought St Andrews Church on the south side of the woods, which came with 5-6 acres of land which he wants to turn into something like sixty condos (he even wanted to fill in the ravine and build houses there); it's a big dogfight. For multiple reasons I don't think the woods will ever be a parking lot, and the St Andrews parking lot will even disappear.

The St. Andrew's lot is where we went last time. Nice setup. Yeah, the University needs to be proactive about this tailgating thing and buy up some land. The private lots have served well for years but those are disappearing. I've tailgated in Olive Court and a few other places that are now gone. Things are going to get tighter with more development.

34-30 the last five years. It just happens to coincide after the 2009 season when a particular coach got a lifetime contract. That coach doesn't seem to be as motivated these days and the record and product show that. If you ask me that doesn't seem that classy. But maybe some people think a quote like "that's football" is classy. Seems more like it's smug and arrogant. But maybe that passes for classy these days.
It happens to many coaching staffs and it has started here. You can't get competent assts. when they see the handwriting on the wall that the head guy is nearing the end. That was HF's problem in his last years and all the negative vibes in the current regime is taking a toll now. Recruits and their parents see it or are reminded thru negative recruiting tactics. Tough to avoid it unless you get a real clear idea of the succession plan. Unless you are a powerhouse program, an even bigger dip can be expected. Given that Iowa has recruited MAC level talent for a few years now, Iowa's dip may last quite a while. Unless we get a Gopher type arrangement, where basically the entire staff followed Kill, we're in for a pro-longed period, imo.

Reactions: kzoohawk80
Uro, I'm not questioning whether you had tickets, nor your fandom.

I hope you do some looking around and find the myriad parking places available so you can get back to enjoying the tailgate.

Last edited:

It doesn't pass for classy.
The best years were under Norm Parker. He was the soul of the Iowa team. Ferentz has been flailing aimlessly ever since Parker has been gone.

Reactions: RocknRollface
It happens to many coaching staffs and it has started here. You can't get competent assts. when they see the handwriting on the wall that the head guy is nearing the end. That was HF's problem in his last years and all the negative vibes in the current regime is taking a toll now. Recruits and their parents see it or are reminded thru negative recruiting tactics. Tough to avoid it unless you get a real clear idea of the succession plan. Unless you are a powerhouse program, an even bigger dip can be expected. Given that Iowa has recruited MAC level talent for a few years now, Iowa's dip may last quite a while. Unless we get a Gopher type arrangement, where basically the entire staff followed Kill, we're in for a pro-longed period, imo.

This is why it's so important to get this thing over with now.

Show recruits that winning matters. Don't let the whole foundation fall back down to nothing.

One way or the other it's over, it's only a matter of a few years either way but letting it drag out could make rebuilding exponentially longer.

Ferentz brought this on himself by choosing to ignore the direction of modern football and instead hire Greg Davis.

Well, I'm doing what I said I didn't want to do. My point was over the years, Ferentz has won 2 Big Ten titles, finished ranked in the Top Ten 4 times, ranked in the top 25 I don't know how many times, made Iowa a relevant program again, won x amount of bowl games(including BCS bowl games), has a winning record against Michigan, produced 2 Outland Trophy winners, had a Heisman Trophy runner-up, x amount of All Big Ten performers, a jillion NFL players(with many starting, not just playing), been courted by who knows how many NFL teams and college teams, while remaining loyal to Iowa when he was at his pinnacle. I'm probably missing some other things. His last great team was 5 seasons ago, and now some people think he can't coach anymore.

He's done all this with great integrity and ethics. He has to deal with people picking at his every word. He says nothing back except that he wants and needs to do better. This is the climate that we live in. And, I think it's unfortunate.

People talk about how much money he makes, which I agree is ridiculous for any coach. But do people know what he actually does with his money? How much he gives back to UI and to the state of Iowa and to the Iowa City community. Probably not, because he doesn't talk about it, and doesn't demand they put his name on entities he donates to.

What he gets is personal attacks on his abilities to coach football, and unbelievably, his character.

Iowa is fortunate to have him. That's my opinion, and it surely won't be the first, or last time, people won't agree with me.

Very well stated. I am not happy with the product on the field that past few years. However I am sick of the constant personal attacks on KF. The "he doesn't care if he wins" and "he's lazy" crowd are morons.

Good.

You're obviously too big of a pussy to post here successfully.

Or he just isn't a jackass

Winning an argument with some of you is like winning a race in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still a retard.

And there are plenty of places for 30-40 people to meet. Hell, it only takes two vehicles parking together to serve that many tailgaters.

30-40 people in 2 vehicles, huh?

Congratulations to the King of the Retards. Your title has been well earned.

omments like, "You just show up on gameday without a pre-paid pass or any agreement with a property owner? It's always reserved for you and your group and no other group ever takes over your location?" prove this. He wants a spot that he can "just show up on gameday" and get....but wants it "reserved"? Where, pray tell, can you do this?

The standard is that parking is reserved the closer you get to the stadium. Had you ever been to a game before, you would understand this. The question then became how does one get a decent spot when they haven't prepaid for the entire season.

Try to keep up with the conversation, nimrod.

You are clueless. Hancher, HOF and Hawkeye lots are all free with free bus ride to the games. They are full of campers and buses.

All, literally, miles from the stadium. Full of poor idiots and losers that don't have the connections or funds to get real parking spots.

Which might as well be in Yugoslavia, it's so far away from anything even remotely interesting.
No it isn't. Your tailgate is what you make of it. If you want to meet others at their tailgate closer to the stadium, if they so happen to have one, good for you, and for them.

Otherwise.....deal with it.

The St. Andrew's lot is where we went last time. Nice setup. Yeah, the University needs to be proactive about this tailgating thing and buy up some land. The private lots have served well for years but those are disappearing. I've tailgated in Olive Court and a few other places that are now gone. Things are going to get tighter with more development.

The University already either owns or is buying up most of the private property in the area, which is the problem. Most of it has already gone, or soon will go, from publicly available parking on private property, to University property that requires a significant donation to park there.

The U is the problem, not the solution.

Reactions: RocknRollface
Or he just isn't a jackass

Winning an argument with some of you is like winning a race in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still a retard.

Speaking of jackasses...any chance you could make your argument without this completely classless reference?

The University already either owns or is buying up most of the private property in the area, which is the problem. Most of it has already gone, or soon will go, from publicly available parking on private property, to University property that requires a significant donation to park there.

The U is the problem, not the solution.

You are an idiot if you think this is what is going on. Oh wait, you've shown your colors already.

Very well stated. I am not happy with the product on the field that past few years. However I am sick of the constant personal attacks on KF. The "he doesn't care if he wins" and "he's lazy" crowd are morons.
Truthfully, I have no idea how invested he still is in winning after getting that ridiculous contract. I'm sure he still cares about winning, but do not think he has the drive and desire to get us there. Evident (IMO) by the fact he felt obligated (or forced by Gary) to rededicate himself to spending more time in his office and watching more tape instead of attending fundraising at events with Barta. This isn't something someone who is busting their ass as a coach would need to say. I know if one of the guys who works for me told me that, my first thought wouldn't be a positive one. I would likely ask why they haven't been busting ass until that point.

Truthfully, I have no idea how invested he still is in winning after getting that ridiculous contract. I'm sure he still cares about winning, but do not think he has the drive and desire to get us there. Evident (IMO) by the fact he felt obligated (or forced by Gary) to rededicate himself to spending more time in his office and watching more tape instead of attending fundraising at events with Barta. This isn't something someone who is busting their ass as a coach would need to say. I know if one of the guys who works for me told me that, my first thought wouldn't be a positive one. I would likely ask why they haven't been busting ass until that point.

Again you are taking a big leap and speculating. I have no idea what the guys who work for you do. I am going out on a limb and guessing it has nothing to do with running a D1 college football program.

I don't like what I have seen the last two years but I certainly don't question KFs desire to win. I also don't question his effort.

Reactions: Cougar63
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT