ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like a big dip in season ticket sales

Again you are taking a big leap and speculating. I have no idea what the guys who work for you do. I am going out on a limb and guessing it has nothing to do with running a D1 college football program. I don't like what I have seen the last two years but I certainly don't question KFs desire to win. I also don't question his effort.

"One of the first things I've got to do a better job as a head coach, spend more time in the building with our people and less time on the outside. We built the building, that is good news. Not that I like disliked fundraising, but I need to spend more time in here and watch more film."

Like I pointed out, that (IMO) doesn't sound like someone who is busting ass as a coach. If you believe it does, great. You apparently have a different definition of effort. For myself and a growing number of fans, that doesn't cut it.

All, literally, miles from the stadium. Full of poor idiots and losers that don't have the connections or funds to get real parking spots.
So those lot's are for you.
All, literally, miles from the stadium. Full of poor idiots and losers that don't have the connections or funds to get real parking spots.
Well then these are the spots for you.
You parked at the mall because it does not require a pass . Poor Check
Complained about spending "ungodly" amount of money to see an Outland winner. Poor check.
Show up any given Saturday and expect to park next to the stadium. Idiot Check.

You need to learn how to read. There is very little "game-by-game" parking in these areas that you refer to. It is also extremely unlikely that they will have space for several vehicles for a large group on a one-off basis. It also varies game to game whether there is even extra available parking at all. And even if/when you can find the space, you are paying a significant premium. And all for the privilege of watching one of the most boring football teams in America.

I know a lot more about this than you seem to.
We had essentially 2 20x20 tents in the old "bubble" parking lot. Once "they" changed the rules and the pricing, we ditched them (they lost donor money with that) and moved over off of Melrose ct.

Gave up my
"One of the first things I've got to do a better job as a head coach, spend more time in the building with our people and less time on the outside. We built the building, that is good news. Not that I like disliked fundraising, but I need to spend more time in here and watch more film."

Like I pointed out, that (IMO) doesn't sound like someone who is busting ass as a coach. If you believe it does, great. You apparently have a different definition of effort. For myself and a growing number of fans, that doesn't cut it.

So watching film of the Tennessee game looks like this...

200.gif

Truthfully, I have no idea how invested he still is in winning after getting that ridiculous contract. I'm sure he still cares about winning, but do not think he has the drive and desire to get us there. Evident (IMO) by the fact he felt obligated (or forced by Gary) to rededicate himself to spending more time in his office and watching more tape instead of attending fundraising at events with Barta. This isn't something someone who is busting their ass as a coach would need to say. I know if one of the guys who works for me told me that, my first thought wouldn't be a positive one. I would likely ask why they haven't been busting ass until that point.

I don't think KF lacks the desire to win and wants to win as much the next person. Issue is a common factor in all aspects of the work spector. Take the younger, or less successful, unproven, lesser paid coach, executive, lawyer, etc and they know they need to bust their hump early on because if they fail they won't reach the mountain top by getting the bump in salary, promotion or any added bonus or responsibility. Though once you reach the peak it is different mindset for many. You have the comfort and lack the sense of urgency and therefore it is easier to take a bump in the road, failures or loss. KF is in a position where his longevity at Iowa plus salary and relationship with boss where he doesn't feel the heat or pressure as he would have had 10-12 years then he maybe singing a different tune and taking different approach to right the ship.

I think the difference between the good and great coaches is someone like Coach K guy has been at Duke forever but changes with the times and makes statement he will retire when he losses the passion and doesn't approach his job like he did when he first got it.

We had essentially 2 20x20 tents in the old "bubble" parking lot. Once "they" changed the rules and the pricing, we ditched them (they lost donor money with that) and moved over off of Melrose ct.

Gave up my

So watching film of the Tennessee game looks like this...

200.gif

or like
giphy.gif

Some of you guys are more than a bit myopic.

Yes, Iowa has been struggling the past few years, and that's significant. But the real undeniable trend is that attendance at college football games is dwindling -- measurably -- all across the country. It is NOT an Iowa-only phenomenon. Attendance and season ticket sales are certainly affected by the team's performance and the unfriendly tailgaiting situation -- but those are exacerbating factors, in my opinion, not primary causes.

“Football Bowl Subdivision crowds for home games averaged 43,483 fans per game, down 4 percent from 2013 and the lowest since 42,631 in 2000, according to a CBSSports.com analysis of NCAA attendance data. This marked the sixth straight season crowds were below 46,000 since they peaked at 46,456 in 2008.” www.cbssports.com 12/15/14

It's worse with the students:

“Average student attendance at college football games is down 7.1% since 2009, according to an analysis by The Wall Street Journal of stadium turnstile records from about 50 public colleges with top-division football teams. The decline was 5.6% at colleges in the five richest conferences.” Wall St. Journal, 8/27/14

You can find article after article featuring a variety of opinions regarding the reasons as well as proposed solutions. Few agree on the fixes, but they all agree on the trend. It's way down.

Yes, Iowa has been struggling the past few years, and that's significant. But the real undeniable trend is that attendance at college football games is dwindling -- measurably -- all across the country. It is NOT an Iowa-only phenomenon. Attendance and season ticket sales are certainly affected by the team's performance and the unfriendly tailgaiting situation -- but those are exacerbating factors, in my opinion, not primary causes.

“Football Bowl Subdivision crowds for home games averaged 43,483 fans per game, down 4 percent from 2013 and the lowest since 42,631 in 2000, according to a CBSSports.com analysis of NCAA attendance data. This marked the sixth straight season crowds were below 46,000 since they peaked at 46,456 in 2008.” www.cbssports.com 12/15/14

“Average student attendance at college football games is down 7.1% since 2009, according to an analysis by The Wall Street Journal of stadium turnstile records from about 50 public colleges with top-division football teams. The decline was 5.6% at colleges in the five richest conferences.” Wall St. Journal, 8/27/14

You can find article after article featuring a variety of opinions regarding the reasons as well as proposed solutions. Few agree on the fixes, but they all agree on the trend. It's way down.

True, it is not an Iowa only phenomenon, I don't think anyone on here would say it is. But as the article below shows, something more drastic is happening at Iowa than the national trend.

"The national average of fans who intended to renew season tickets was 72 percent, compared with Iowa's 64 percent. Of those Iowa fans who said they were undecided or unlikely to renew, 68 percent felt the price exceeded the value and benefits they received for being a season ticket-holder. The national average among the unlikelies was 47 percent."

http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...tball-tickets-challenging-sell-iowa/23465031/

So "because it's happening at other places" it's acceptable at Iowa?
Sure, why not......because that's what everyone is trying to say. That attendance decline in college football is acceptable. That we should accept it....yep. And that it is just as acceptable at Alabama and USC as it is at Iowa.

Reactions: doughudd
Truthfully, I have no idea how invested he still is in winning after getting that ridiculous contract. I'm sure he still cares about winning, but do not think he has the drive and desire to get us there. Evident (IMO) by the fact he felt obligated (or forced by Gary) to rededicate himself to spending more time in his office and watching more tape instead of attending fundraising at events with Barta. This isn't something someone who is busting their ass as a coach would need to say. I know if one of the guys who works for me told me that, my first thought wouldn't be a positive one. I would likely ask why they haven't been busting ass until that point.

Exactly. There is a reason the type of contract he received is basically unheard of in sports.

Not only can you question is he busting his but, you can question wether or not some one who's job depended on the outcome of last season would have had the nerve to leave CJ off the field.

Does KF want to win, absolutely, but is he willing to be the least bit flexible to do it?

True, it is not an Iowa only phenomenon, I don't think anyone on here would say it is. But as the article below shows, something more drastic is happening at Iowa than the national trend.

"The national average of fans who intended to renew season tickets was 72 percent, compared with Iowa's 64 percent. Of those Iowa fans who said they were undecided or unlikely to renew, 68 percent felt the price exceeded the value and benefits they received for being a season ticket-holder. The national average among the unlikelies was 47 percent."

http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...tball-tickets-challenging-sell-iowa/23465031/
And there you have those "exacerbating factors" I mentioned.

Seems to me that Iowa needs to be doing a whole lot more to be fan-friendly. Number one, of course, is to improve the product on the field. Number two is to improve the game-day experience and quit alienating long-time fans with counter-productive changes to tailgaiting rules, etc. Maybe then Iowa could be a bit better than the national average.

But make no mistake -- the largest contributing factors to the decline in ticket sales are the same as they are everywhere -- aging fan base, HD television, relentless advertising on message boards, weak non-conference schedules, obscenely overpriced concessions, etc.

Reactions: hawkssox1
Sure, why not......because that's what everyone is trying to say. That attendance decline in college football is acceptable. That we should accept it....yep. And that it is just as acceptable at Alabama and USC as it is at Iowa.

So then why not have Iowa start being like the SEC in winning, cheating, etc? If it's happening all around the country, join in! Just accept it.

So what ya going to do about it? Nothing. You can't stop it.
I don't know if I agree with this. Iowa has a lot of innate advantages when it comes to generating interest in games. It is really the only show in town. I live in KC. On a random Sept or Oct month I can attend:

1. Chiefs
2. Sporting KC
3. Royals
4. A multitude of concert events
5. KU sports

Iowa really doesn't have to compete with those factors. It should be easier to get people to fill seats. Yes, there are competing interests including family, seasonal activities, games on TV, etc but that is true of all markets.

Well Iowa has "Tractor Caide, The Hoover Library, BBQ round up and... oh never mind."

I don't know if I agree with this. Iowa has a lot of innate advantages when it comes to generating interest in games. It is really the only show in town. I live in KC. On a random Sept or Oct month I can attend:

1. Chiefs
2. Sporting KC
3. Royals
4. A multitude of concert events
5. KU sports

Iowa really doesn't have to compete with those factors. It should be easier to get people to fill seats. Yes, there are competing interests including family, seasonal activities, games on TV, etc but that is true of all markets.
And the best part is I would choose an Iowa sporting event over all of those you listed for Kansas City. ;)

Except for maybe a country music concert, because who wouldn't pass up a chance to go watch a slow-playing country music band instead of a college football game. After all, you're just as likely to get laid after a country music concert as you are a football game.......I mean come on.

Is this the Gary Barta head in sand post. It can't be us. Just wait till after this year when there are only 20,000 season ticket buyers. Better start coming up with climate change causing poor ticket sales excuses.

Again you are taking a big leap and speculating. I have no idea what the guys who work for you do. I am going out on a limb and guessing it has nothing to do with running a D1 college football program.

I don't like what I have seen the last two years but I certainly don't question KFs desire to win. I also don't question his effort.[/QUOTE]

Because you are an idiot.

unless they get backed to being a ranked team the sales aren't going to get better anytime soon. They need to start off the season fast.

Been stated in this thread that season and students are down all over the nation. But if I was Barta and AD department I'd be worried. Last season just under 38K and right now around 30K with 500 or so new ticket holders waiting to buy. Even if they get up around 31K that is still a 18-19% drop off since last year which is awful. Basically 1 out of 5 season ticket from last year are gone now.

Plus last year Iowa lucked out with ISU, UNI, Wiscky and Nebraska bringing in a ton of fans buying up all the unused seats. Besides maybe Minnesota don't see that being the case this season.

Hopefully Barta thinks of something better besides his lame $10 concession vouchers to improve ticket sales but I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

I dropped mine after 15 years. I may go back in at some point. Performance was not the main issue to me. I don't like the atmosphere around it as much anymore. I don't like a lot of our "fans" really, they make it miserable. The reason to me was cost and value. I simply can't justify paying that much for games like Illinois State and North Texas. I will go to games, but I can get tickets to those games for half of face value. I have kid activities too. When you boil it down there are usually only 1-2, maybe 3 good games at home in a good year. This is an even worse one when Minnesota is your best home game of the year. When I was a kid we played USC, UCLA, Nebraska, Penn State. Sure, we got our butt kicked plenty but you couldn't say those were not good games. We even won a few. The problem with demanding more more more from your fanbase is that you created a more demanding fan base and more elastic ticket demand. Your under 40 crowd does not remember Commings and FXL.

Reactions: cocoem and Chuck C
At the end of Hayden's tenure you could probably see 75% of games on TV if you lived in a 2 hr. radius of IC. You know a reasonable driving time to go to a game there. I remember living in Ann Arbor and seeing 1/2 of Iowa's games. This idea that seeing most games on TV is something new is just not true.
You must have had pretty good cable service. At least ESPN.

In 1998, Hayden's last season, 3 games were televised by an over-the-air network, 1 by ESPN. In 1997, 1 game was televised by a network, 2 by ESPN. In 1996, 3 were on free TV and 3 on ESPN.

In all those years, some other games were televised by channels that were available on premium sports packages.

I think that instead of spending all that money rehabbing Kinnick, the university should have built a new stadium. Accessibility is one reason, obviously, but there's also the steady encroachment of UIHC and related facilities.

Well, I'm doing what I said I didn't want to do. My point was over the years, Ferentz has won 2 Big Ten titles, finished ranked in the Top Ten 4 times, ranked in the top 25 I don't know how many times, made Iowa a relevant program again, won x amount of bowl games(including BCS bowl games), has a winning record against Michigan, produced 2 Outland Trophy winners, had a Heisman Trophy runner-up, x amount of All Big Ten performers, a jillion NFL players(with many starting, not just playing), been courted by who knows how many NFL teams and college teams, while remaining loyal to Iowa when he was at his pinnacle. I'm probably missing some other things. His last great team was 5 seasons ago, and now some people think he can't coach anymore.

He's done all this with great integrity and ethics. He has to deal with people picking at his every word. He says nothing back except that he wants and needs to do better. This is the climate that we live in. And, I think it's unfortunate.

People talk about how much money he makes, which I agree is ridiculous for any coach. But do people know what he actually does with his money? How much he gives back to UI and to the state of Iowa and to the Iowa City community. Probably not, because he doesn't talk about it, and doesn't demand they put his name on entities he donates to.

What he gets is personal attacks on his abilities to coach football, and unbelievably, his character.

Iowa is fortunate to have him. That's my opinion, and it surely won't be the first, or last time, people won't agree with me.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your thoughts about KF is 100% spot on.... if you were planning to marry him. I am not planning on marrying him. Go to the corporate world (which college athletics IS), tell your boss that you landed the Big XYZ account 5 years ago, are being paid top dollar today-due to your past results, but producing in the middle of the pack for the last 5 years. Your boss would say: son, it's been a good ride, but we have a lot of salaries to feed around here, and 6-6 just doesn't cut it. I don't care how good your reports are, if you show up 60 minutes early every day, everyone likes you, you don't take vacations, work Saturdays, etc. At the end of the day, it is all about "what have you done for me lately". This is the real world. KF has to produce, or the ticket sales will keep dropping each and every year. Fans will not accept mediocre results...unless you're an ISU fan!:):)

Reactions: Burbank84
Even ISU will eventually have a problem with it because IOWA fans won't go to isu games in lames and pay their ticket prices.

Reactions: RocknRollface
That seems to be the trend which appears to correlate with the declining season ticket and lower student attendance across college football the past few years.

This is just my speculation but a portion of the lower sales might be attributed to a combination of factors - higher prices, the advent of HD television and viewer-friendly venues, restricted tailgating and/or drinking privaleges, other entertainment options, etc. As a result, I suspect many more fans are opting for single game tickets and targeting contests that especially interest them.

That is not deny, however, that many Hawkeye fans have decided to forego Iowa season tickets because they disapprove of the coach and/or recent performances.
I agree with you

That seems to be the trend which appears to correlate with the declining season ticket and lower student attendance across college football the past few years.

This is just my speculation but a portion of the lower sales might be attributed to a combination of factors - higher prices, the advent of HD television and viewer-friendly venues, restricted tailgating and/or drinking privaleges, other entertainment options, etc. As a result, I suspect many more fans are opting for single game tickets and targeting contests that especially interest them.

That is not deny, however, that many Hawkeye fans have decided to forego Iowa season tickets because they disapprove of the coach and/or recent performances.
*spot on*

Reactions: Herkmeister
We are living through the breaking point now. Everyone, including Ferentz knows that 2015 is a rebound season or a change will be made. A 9 win season this year and the interest will flare up again and new Hawk fans will begin to fill in Kinnick again. Everything runs in cycles. We have seen the low point in the cycle. The front runners will drop out during this low point in the cycle and a newer more energenic fans base will appear.

Everything doesn't "run in cycles." Recruiting has been in the toilet for a long time and things won't be turned around with mid-major recruits.

You must have had pretty good cable service. At least ESPN.

In 1998, Hayden's last season, 3 games were televised by an over-the-air network, 1 by ESPN. In 1997, 1 game was televised by a network, 2 by ESPN. In 1996, 3 were on free TV and 3 on ESPN.

In all those years, some other games were televised by channels that were available on premium sports packages.

What they called ESPN+ picked up many games for regional distribution.

We are living through the breaking point now. Everyone, including Ferentz knows that 2015 is a rebound season or a change will be made. A 9 win season this year and the interest will flare up again and new Hawk fans will begin to fill in Kinnick again. Everything runs in cycles. We have seen the low point in the cycle. The front runners will drop out during this low point in the cycle and a newer more energenic fans base will appear.

What do you mean by "rebound season" and "a change"? Neither term could be much more vague, and the meaning of this post could change dramatically depending on how you define them.

I don't see Iowa ever firing Ferentz, if that's what you mean by "a change". Unfortunately, I don't see Iowa doing much better than last year as long as Kirk is here, so I'm sure not expecting any "rebound seasons" in the near future. I do expect that the number of empty seats in Kinnick will increase as long as Kirk is in charge.

Reactions: hawkeyesports92
Everything doesn't "run in cycles." Recruiting has been in the toilet for a long time and things won't be turned around with mid-major recruits.
Agree on the over-use of "cycles" as an excuse...but looking at the life cycle of a over-tenured coach things are not looking up...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT