ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Hall at Natl Freestyle Championships

HawkNorth

HR All-State
Nov 24, 2003
Highly touted wrestler and five-time state champion in Minnesota Mark Hall just won his class at nationals. He is now training in Colorado Springs. Here is a brief interview with him and Bob Sandsevere of the St. Paul Pioneer-Press:

Mark Hall is on a roll. In February, as a junior, he won his fifth straight individual wrestling championship for Apple Valley High School. He hasn't lost a high school match since his freshman year.

Last weekend, Hall went to Las Vegas for the United World Wrestling Junior Freestyle National Championships for 17- to 20-year-olds. He won his weight class at 163 pounds and was selected the tournament's outstanding wrestling. Next year for Apple Valley, Hall will attempt to become Minnesota's first six-time state champion. Hall left Apple Valley about a week after winning his fifth state title to work out at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colo.

BS: Why the decision to leave Apple Valley for Colorado Springs?

MH: I think it's a maturity thing. This is the first time for me to be out here alone. I'm training with the top senior-level wrestlers in the world. I wouldn't be able to get that type of training in Apple Valley. When I'm in Apple Valley, it is exceptional with the coaches I have. I just wanted a little more.

BS: Are you still doing schoolwork with Apple Valley?

MH: I'm taking online classes.

BS: Is that easier or more difficult than attending class?

MH: A little of both. Parts are harder. Parts are easier.

BS: How much of each day is spent wrestling?

MH: Four days we'll wrestle two times a day. Sometimes, we'll lift weights. Sundays we're off. Saturdays are one practice. It wears on you a little bit, but it's why not just anybody can be out here. You have to be tough. It's not something that takes a toll on your body. It's fun.

BS: Are you one of the younger wrestlers in the program?

MH: I'm the youngest, and the smallest, too. When I say smallest I don't mean everybody is over 200 pounds. There are a couple of guys out of college and a couple of guys who will be going into college next year. Most of the ages are 20 to 25.

BS: Was it a little intimidating at first?

MH: No. I've been out here before. Wrestling against the older senior-level guys, I learned to have no fear.

BS: Talking about fear, do you see fear in guys when they face you in high school matches?

MH: Maybe a little bit. I think for the high school season, I go out and have fun. It doesn't last forever. I try not to focus on the other guy I have to wrestle. I try to cherish the moments I have with my teammates.

BS: There is no doubt you will wrestle for Apple Valley as a senior?

MH: No doubt.

BS: How big a deal is it to be a six-time state champion?

MH: It's a huge deal. Nobody has done it before. For me, I have to keep my head on straight and keep making the right decisions. I've only won five so far. Six individual and six team championships are not promised.

BS: Do you know where you'll go to college?

MH: No.

BS: I'm guessing you've heard from every big-time wrestling program?

MH: A lot of Big Ten schools. Big 12. A lot of schools from the bigger wrestling conferences.

BS: Would you have a problem if a college wanted you to redshirt as a freshman?

MH: I don't mind. It's not a big deal to me if I have to redshirt. I'd still be wrestling and working out.

BS: What are your goals beyond a sixth straight state title?

MH: At least win three NCAA titles. I can expect three out of myself. I think three or four is a good goal for me and then go right into the Olympics.

BS: What Olympics are you focusing on?

MH: I can try next year. I'll really be all in for 2020.

Reactions: dmlawdad
I had read previously that he didn't want to redshirt. If he came to Iowa and wanted to start as a true freshman he'd be competing against Meyer at 174 or Brooks at 184, both seniors. Even if he could win the spot, from a team/NCAA point pov redshirting would be a better idea. So I'm glad to have that new info, i.e. that he's open to redshirting.

I had read previously that he didn't want to redshirt. If he came to Iowa and wanted to start as a true freshman he'd be competing against Meyer at 174 or Brooks at 184, both seniors. Even if he could win the spot, from a team/NCAA point pov redshirting would be a better idea. So I'm glad to have that new info, i.e. that he's open to redshirting.
Maybe he's saying that he's open to it because he knows Meyer is going to be in front of him for his 1st year........hmm. ;)

Wow. He must be a mean person if he wants to murder Alex Meyer. Does that count as one of the 3 strikes Iowa gives?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT