ADVERTISEMENT

Matches from the World Cup

Thank you! Now I can go back and watch those I missed.

Too bad McDonough did not get a chance, C Scott looked out of shape and sluggish. Is he really better than McDonough???

I would love an explanation of how Tony's final match vs. Iran was scored. I'm not an expert on freestyle wrestling, however I have a basic idea, but I'm unclear of how the 2nd round was scored right down to the final score. Seems a couple of points were tacked on in the end. Anyone have a run down?

Thanks!
This post was edited on 4/13 1:56 PM by akaoni

Did Ramos wrestle against Mongolia?

If he did...did he face the same guy that beat him at 2014 Worlds?

Originally posted by ISU1990:

He did wrestle Mongolia, but the Mongolian team did not wrestle Erdenebat.

I was at the World Cup great matches and a incredible wrestling atmosphere. Ramos looked tough in his matches made a little mistake against the Cuba wrestler who had to be incredibly strong but the other matches wrestled well and IMO is only going to get better. Metcalf looked the best I have seen in a long time very aggressive with good defense next to Burroughs was the best on the USA team. I wish McDonough could of seen a match as Scott seemed out of condition in all his matches. If you ever get a chance to go to this event I would it was awesome wrestling.

Originally posted by winwithdignity:

I was at the World Cup great matches and a incredible wrestling atmosphere. Ramos looked tough in his matches made a little mistake against the Cuba wrestler who had to be incredibly strong but the other matches wrestled well and IMO is only going to get better. Metcalf looked the best I have seen in a long time very aggressive with good defense next to Burroughs was the best on the USA team. I wish McDonough could of seen a match as Scott seemed out of condition in all his matches. If you ever get a chance to go to this event I would it was awesome wrestling.
What was the attendance?

From what I heard it was about 7000 with 5000 of them being Iranians who love the sport of wrestling. I was right in the middle of them and they are chanting cheering 10 minutes before the wrestling even starts to the very end. They were very good sports cheering all wrestlers from all nations that wrestled hard.

1st period:

Pretty easy - TD Rahimi 2-0 Iran

2nd period:

Rahimi gets put on the shot clock, doesn't score, 1 pt Ramos 2-1 Iran

Rahimi gets 2pt exposure elevating leg, 4-1 Iran. In same sequence, Ramos gets 2pt in crab ride, 4-3 Iran.

Here is where things start getting funky - US challenges the 2 and 2 call (not sure why), loses, 1 pt. Rahimi, 5-3 Iran

Rahimi gets called for passivity or some kind of tech violation, 1 pt Ramos 5-4 Iran

Rahimi gets pushout, 6-4 Iran

Rahimi gets called for passivity or some kind of tech violation again, 1 pt Ramos 6-5 Iran

Iran challenges/protests end of match - I guess the confrontation, possibly wanting to see Ramos get unsportsmanslike. Loses the challenge, 1 pt Ramos. 6-6 Iran wins on criteria with two 2 point moves (they knew they had criteria locked up when they challenged).

The reffing got a little funky in the 2nd period, but the right guy won the match - I'm sure that opinion won't go over well here, but whatever. Rahimi just a bit slicker at this point, the leg elevation exposure when Ramos was trying to secure the TD was something you just never see Americans get. Ramos is getting very close, though, as Rahimi is among the very best in the world.

This post was edited on 4/15 10:53 AM by dicemen99

If you think about it, Tony came in cold, not having wrestled freestyle in a few years and makes the World Team...that alone is pretty cool. After a year, is hanging with the Iranian. He still has some of the best defense around and is a great counter shooter. If he can develop his shots more, he is going to be one tough hombre.

Ramos looked pretty good I thought in all his matches was aggressive and in great shape. I think it is going to be between him and McDonough at this weight for the USA.

Originally posted by dicemen99:

1st period:

Pretty easy - TD Rahimi 2-0 Iran

2nd period:

Rahimi gets put on the shot clock, doesn't score, 1 pt Ramos 2-1 Iran

Rahimi gets 2pt exposure elevating leg, 4-1 Iran. In same sequence, Ramos gets 2pt in crab ride, 4-3 Iran.

Here is where things start getting funky - US challenges the 2 and 2 call (not sure why), loses, 1 pt. Rahimi, 5-3 Iran

Rahimi gets called for passivity or some kind of tech violation, 1 pt Ramos 5-4 Iran

Rahimi gets pushout, 6-4 Iran

Rahimi gets called for passivity or some kind of tech violation again, 1 pt Ramos 6-5 Iran

Iran challenges/protests end of match - I guess the confrontation, possibly wanting to see Ramos get unsportsmanslike. Loses the challenge, 1 pt Ramos. 6-6 Iran wins on criteria with two 2 point moves (they knew they had criteria locked up when they challenged).

The reffing got a little funky in the 2nd period, but the right guy won the match - I'm sure that opinion won't go over well here, but whatever. Rahimi just a bit slicker at this point, the leg elevation exposure when Ramos was trying to secure the TD was something you just never see Americans get. Ramos is getting very close, though, as Rahimi is among the very best in the world.

This post was edited on 4/15 10:53 AM by dicemen99
Thanks for the rundown, those extra points for Tony down the stretch were odd. I didn't know they could award points for passivity w/o the shot clock.

Watching the match I thought that Rahimi was pretty much in control throughout the match. Tony had some moments but he has a way to go to adjust to freestyle and get to the top of the ladder. I have faith that he has the drive and talent to do so.

I'm pretty new to following international freestyle, however it seems to me that we could use some international flavor in our training (both at the club and national team level). Our wrestlers would do well to adopt some of the defensive scoring and scrambling that we see from top-level international wrestlers. It's important to train to one's strengths, however it can't hurt to put more tools in the arsenal.

No points for passivity without the 30 second clock but they can call fleeing the hold which is a caution and 1 point.

I'm not sure what was called though because I watched that match with no sound.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT