ADVERTISEMENT

Minkel retiring at MSU

SPOONER

HR Legend
Jul 15, 2001
Haven't seen it posted here yet but Michigan State has announced this will be Minkel's final season. Long time assistant Roger Chandler is taking over.

I guess we don't have to be concerned about MSU putting effort and resources into their program.

Reactions: Huck
I was initially surprised they wouldn't be looking for a coach. After some thought I realized it must not be that important to the school.

Reactions: Huck
I wish they would do a national search for the next coach. I know at least one great assistant that would love the job. It could be a great wrestling school. Alas, the AD doesn't give a crap.

MSU Had a great program in the 40's, 50's and 60's placing in the top five several times and winning the NCAA title in 1967. MSU won the Big 10 title 7 consecutive years (1966 to 1972) before the Hawkeyes began their historic run. With the right person running the program they could get back to being a relevant program again.

Agree it's a fantastic opportunity with significant upside and no downside, in the most successful wrestling conference in the nation. Imagine a Metcalf in that role. Or Perry. That's where Pritzlaff should've gone after Wisconsin.

I knew this was coming, but I thought it was going to happen at the end of this past season when his contract was up. Minkel signed a three yer deal at the end of May. I am guessing that was part of the negotiation. We'll pay you after you go away, but just go. However, hiring the long time assistant is a real head scratcher. I would bet they could get a top notch assistant, or a head coach at a lesser school ie; less prestigious conference that doesn't have the facilities and budget of. the Big Ten. I am sure they could have found a good coach at the same cost they are paying the new guy. Why not Nick Simmons! or someone else of that caliber with strong assistant coach experience. Unfortunately for MSU I don't see this hire helping to pull the program out of the cellar.

Reactions: letsgohawks44
Agree it's a fantastic opportunity with significant upside and no downside, in the most successful wrestling conference in the nation. Imagine a Metcalf in that role. Or Perry. That's where Pritzlaff should've gone after Wisconsin.

The downside is the administration thinks Tom Minkel is a good coach and supports the program accordingly. It would certainly be an opportunity for someone but you have to take that into account.

Lots of great options out there if MSU wanted to actually improve the program, but clearly they don't care. Hollis, the AD, has the football and basketball programs at the top and that's all anyone cares about in East Lansing. Minkel finishes last in the Big Ten every year and they still kept him so not really surprised. Seriously Chandler has been there 18 years, in those 18 years how many times have they finished last in the Big Ten? Has to be at least half the time if not more.

I mean Brian Smith at Missouri is an MSU alumnus, that wouldn't happen but shouldn't you at least kick the tires? Or if not the obvious assistant coaches like Mark Perry or Donny Pritzlaff what about guys with state of Michigan ties like Jason Borelli at Standford? Or Roger Kish at North Dakota State? Nick Simmons went to MSU and grew up 10 minutes from East Lansing and is the assistant at Indiana. Brent Metcalf? Casey Cunningham? I find it hard to believe none of the 8 or so names I just listed wouldn't take a Big Ten job with an excellent, if not recent, history of winning, especially if you pony up and get a new facility. Nick Simmons for one, would for sure take the job.

Reactions: TarpHawk
Lots of great options out there if MSU wanted to actually improve the program, but clearly they don't care. Hollis, the AD, has the football and basketball programs at the top and that's all anyone cares about in East Lansing. Minkel finishes last in the Big Ten every year and they still kept him so not really surprised. Seriously Chandler has been there 18 years, in those 18 years how many times have they finished last in the Big Ten? Has to be at least half the time if not more.

I mean Brian Smith at Missouri is an MSU alumnus, that wouldn't happen but shouldn't you at least kick the tires? Or if not the obvious assistant coaches like Mark Perry or Donny Pritzlaff what about guys with state of Michigan ties like Jason Borelli at Standford? Or Roger Kish at North Dakota State? Nick Simmons went to MSU and grew up 10 minutes from East Lansing and is the assistant at Indiana. Brent Metcalf? Casey Cunningham? I find it hard to believe none of the 8 or so names I just listed wouldn't take a Big Ten job with an excellent, if not recent, history of winning, especially if you pony up and get a new facility. Nick Simmons for one, would for sure take the job.
For sure they've got it going on pretty good with the Football and Basketball programs there, and as you stated, that will satisfy the large majority of that fanbase I suspect (and most). The success of those programs should also have them sitting pretty good in the dollars department (and BTN money for everyone of course!) to put together a package that would attract some pretty good Coaching talent for their wrestling program.

The administration doesn't appear to be fazed by it, or maybe they're just extremely loyal to their Coaches there. :D The loyalty aspect is a good thing in some regards I suppose, but constantly bringing up the rear when you've had a pretty decent track record historically has to have the wrestling alumni in a dither.

Iowa doesn't seem to run into many head to head recruiting battles with MSU, but it's probably a good thing for Iowa and others to let the sleeping dog lie.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT