ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Minnesota DB Amani Hooker talks Iowa offer

Apr 8, 2003
Minnesota defensive back Amani Hooker is up to three scholarship offers with the latest coming from the Iowa Hawkeyes. For Hooker, a 6-foot-1, 195-pound junior at Park Center High School, the news from the Iowa coaching staff came on Friday afternoon.

"I got a message from my head coach telling me to call Coach Wallace at Iowa," said Hooker. "So I called him and we talked and that's when he offered me."

The interest from the Hawkeyes is relatively new for Hooker, who could safety or cornerback in college, as he just received a visit at his school from Iowa recruiting coordinator Seth Wallace last week.

"Two or three weeks ago, they watched my film and Seth Wallace sent me a message saying they were going to come by my school sometime," Hooker said. "Then he came up last week and watched me work out on the field and must have liked what he saw."

Hooker had two previous offers from South Dakota and Northern Iowa, but adding an opportunity to play in the Big Ten this past week accomplished one of his major goals.

"It felt good," said Hooker. "That's what I've been aiming for ever since I was little, so finally getting it felt really good."

The next priority for the Hawkeyes will be getting Hooker on campus for a visit, which he is hoping to do on June 14. The Class of 2016 prospect is also planning camp stops at Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Nebraska this summer and then plans to take a closer look at his options.

"If I get more offers after all the camps, I'll try to break it down and see what's the best fit for me," Hooker said. "Then I'll probably decide before the season starts."

After watching his older brother, Quinton Hooker, who plays basketball at North Dakota, go through the recruiting process before, Amani has a pretty good idea of what he is looking for when he goes to choose a college.

"I'm looking for a place that has a winning history, a good education that can take me places after college, and coaches that want me there and are going to push me to be the best that I can be on and off the field," said Hooker.

Video: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3161506/highlights/210163387/v2

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News