ADVERTISEMENT

Mizzou

Chopper25

HR All-State
Mar 13, 2014
A couple nice transfers at open weights.

Grant Leeth transferring from Duke
Blaise Butler transferring from Virginia

Per the intermat.

Missou should be right back in the national title hunt with two solid transfers. They will be with potential AA finishes from Lavion Mayes(141), Joey Lavallee (157), Blaise Butler (174), Willie Miklus (184), J'Den Cox (197) and Devin Mellon (Hwt). Ryan Blees (149), Zack Synon (133) gave Cory Clark a good fight last year, and Freshman and 4 X Missouri State Champ Dan Lewis (165) should be solid as well.

I'm thinking NCAA's go something like this:
1st Penn St
2nd Iowa
3rd Missouri
4th Ohio St.
5th Cornell

The only thing Synon was fighting for was not to get majored. Wasn't he hit for like 4 stall calls? Also did I miss Blees transferring to Mizzou? Thought he was at Oklahoma State.

Reactions: HawkTalk3
Zack Synon (133) gave Cory Clark a good fight last year,

Have to disagree with this statement. Clark would have demolished him, but Synon just laid with his head on the mat while Clark was on top. Clark is head and shoulders above Synon.

To add to that, Synon wrestled in one of the weakest weigths at the MAC. Had Josh Alber from UNI had his redshirt pulled, he would have made a good case to win the MAC - he beat Synon at the UNI Open.

Reactions: GG121AND2
That Missouri team looks like a much tougher dual team than tournament team. Also, I would certainly have Oklahoma State in my top 5 with what they bring back

Missou should be right back in the national title hunt with two solid transfers. They will be with potential AA finishes from Lavion Mayes(141), Joey Lavallee (157), Blaise Butler (174), Willie Miklus (184), J'Den Cox (197) and Devin Mellon (Hwt). Ryan Blees (149), Zack Synon (133) gave Cory Clark a good fight last year, and Freshman and 4 X Missouri State Champ Dan Lewis (165) should be solid as well.

I'm thinking NCAA's go something like this:
1st Penn St
2nd Iowa
3rd Missouri
4th Ohio St.
5th Cornell

Ohio State 4th? Is that for real? What are we adding to our lineup next year that will lead to us overtaking Ohio State? Ohio State is the odds on favorite right now and by a decent amount.

No Oklahoma State in your top five? They're going to surprise some people then...I think they're a contender to win it all.

Also, I'm looking for Virginia Tech as my Katy Perry pick.

I very much agree SHP.

If I had to pick a team to win it all, it would be OkState. Smith has been rebuilding over the past few seasons and has still had very solid results. I think he will finally have all the pieces in place to make a run next season.

ADD: A lot of my thinking come down to how they fill 157-184. Tognetti has said Marstellar and Dierenger are locked into 157 and 165, respectively. I think they would both be better up a weight.

Still the following line up looks really tough and mostly battle proven.

125: Klimara-Top 5 if Mega Oly shirts
133: Harding/Magaldo-2-2ish but could surprise
141: Heil-Struggled early but really amped it up when it mattered. Will AA again.
149: Collica-Will get his 1st AA at the weight class his body belongs.
157: Marstellar/Blees-Both have AA potential but Marstellar just didn't look right cutting weight.
165: Dierenger/Marstellar-Ringer wins at either weight but Marstellar does his best at this weight.
174: Dierenger/Crutchmer-See above but switch Crutchmer for Marstellar.
184: Crutchmer/Boyd/Rogers-R12 type potential, but could sneak onto podium.
197: Hole-Until/unless someone proves otherwise
285: Marsden-Very surprised he didn't AA. I think he will have a rebound year similar to Adam Coon.

If this team improves and peaks in March like Smith's last couple squads have, this team will be very hard to beat!

1. Penn State with Mega, Gulibon, Zain, ???, Nolf, ???, Nickal, McCutch, McIntosh, Nevills
2. tOSU with Tomasello, DiJulius, ???, Stieber, Jordan, Jordan, ???, ???, Snyder, Haines
3. OSU with Klimara, Harding, Heil, Collica, Blees, Dieringer, Rogers, Krutchmer, ???, Marsden
4. Iowa with Gilman, Clark, ???, Sorenson, Grothus, ???, Meyer, Brooks, Burak, Stoll
5. Missouri with ???, ???, Mayes, Leeth, LaValle, Lewis, Butler, Miklus, Cox, ???

Not plugging any true freshman in this is how I see it playing out atm. I think Penn State's new freshman all looked incredible and will fill in spots nicely. Ohio State needs a healthy Stieber to place high and the younger Jordan to perform well like his big bro did this season. I think OSU will be a fun one to watch because their recruiting class is full of monsters. I can see true freshman plugged in, and 141-174 being real interesting. Iowa has Gilman, Clark and Sorenson as their main point scorers, but the Hawks will need to see some points (and bonus) scored by their other guys if they want to get the gold. Missouri has too many unknowns but their team is all slightly above average for the most part. Cox could win it, and Mayes/Miklus/Butler could mid-high aa possibly. The other guys are still big unknowns at this point.

Are we sure Mayes can hold the weight for Mizzou? I think he struggled a great deal with that this year.

Have to disagree with this statement. Clark would have demolished him, but Synon just laid with his head on the mat while Clark was on top. Clark is head and shoulders above Synon.

Agree wholeheartedly with this. Clark totally dominated. Synon isn't in the same galaxy as Clark. It wasn't a huge blowout on the score board, but Clark had his way with him on the mat. In hindsight, he probably should have played takedown/release, but he focused instead on trying to turn him and Synon turtled up.

Last edited:
2. tOSU with Tomasello, DiJulius, ???, Stieber, Jordan, Jordan, ???, ???, Snyder, Haines

Returning AA Kenny Courts is their 184 again next season and possibly see Keshawn Hayes at 141 as a true freshman hoping that's not the case unless he's ready of course they're very much just as favored to repeat as PSU is to win it

Returning AA Kenny Courts is their 184 again next season and possibly see Keshawn Hayes at 141 as a true freshman hoping that's not the case unless he's ready of course they're very much just as favored to repeat as PSU is to win it
Also Martin will be back at 174. Possible AA. I have heard Hunter might go back down to 141 so Micah Jordan will probably go 149. OSU is the team to beat. Tomasello, Jordan, and Synder are proven point getters. Nolf, Nickel, and Nelvis are not.

I don't see how we can discount the fact that tOSU who won a close tourney last year loses by far their biggest point getter in Logie Bear Steebler. Micah Jordan is a good wrestler, but is no way in the same ball park as Logan, nor is Hunter. Tomasello hit fire at the right time, but I doubt he will repeat. They lose Josh Demas as well. Obviously, Bo Jordan, Tomasello and Kyle Snyder are all proven studs, I just don't see them collectively adding more points at next year's tourney than they had this year. Haines will likely take over at Heavyweight in a deep weight class. Maybe he'll rise to occasion and maybe he won't. Obviously Hunter Steiber will most likely be healthy and have good tourney next year and it would be hard to imagine JDJ being as bad at the National tourney next year as he was this year.

I think PSU and Iowa are much better tournament teams than tOSU. Iowa will have 4 returning AA's who will all likely repeat their performance if not improve. I still can't believe Brooks wasn't on the podium and Courts was. Brooks is the better wrestler and I see those fortunes reversing next year. I (like most on this board) see Alex Meyer as an AA next year as well.

If the rumors are true and Megaludis redshirts, then PSU chances drop a bit as he is a likely finalist. Gulibon is a tough SOB who I see getting on the podium again next year. Zain Retherford is a beast, a returning AA and has the last win over Logan. Jason Nolf is a stud and next year we will all wish that he was a Hawkeye. Bo Nickel is an amazing competitor and is as close to a lock for being a 4X AA as any redshirt freshman next year. Morgan Macintosh very well could be wrestling on Saturday night as he continues to improve each year. Nick Nevills is a very technically sound Heavyweight that will suffer some losses early, but I see getting better as the year goes and finishing strong in March.

Maybe you can flip tOSU and Missouri, but I wouldn't discount the Tigers.

If you go strictly by the numbers, tOSU won by a very comfortable margin. tOSU won by 18. L. Stieber scored 26.

8 of their 10 starters return and they have guys like M. Jordan and Haines who could fit in better than the starters. tOSU returns 75 of the 102 points. That is still enough to take 3rd this past season to Iowa's 84 and Edinboro's 75.5 And that doesn't even mention the very injured H. Stieber who accounted for 0, but will be returning after surgery.

Iowa returns 5 starters and 58.5 pts.

PSU(using Megaludis and Retherford from 2 years ago) returns 7 starters and 60 pts.

OkState returns 9 starters and 64.5 pts.

The 2 OSU's will definitely be the most proven going into the season. PSU and Iowa may very well surpass them but they both still have question marks while the other 2 teams return 8(tOSU) and 9(OkState) of 10 starters and have a few young big names ready to step in as well.

Last edited:
If you go strictly by the numbers, tOSU won by a very comfortable margin. tOSU won by 18. L. Stieber scored 26.

9 of their 10 starters return and they have guys like M. Jordan and Haines who could fit in better than the starters. tOSU returns 76 of the 102 points. That is still enough to take 2nd this past season to Iowa's 84. And that doesn't even mention the very injured H. Stieber who accounted for 0, but will be returning after surgery.

Iowa returns 5 starters and 58.5 pts.

PSU(using Megaludis and Retherford from 2 years ago) returns 7 starters and 60 pts.

OkState returns 9 starters and 64.5 pts.

The 2 OSU's will definitely be the most proven going into the season. PSU and Iowa may very well surpass them but they both still have question marks while the other 2 teams return 9 of 10 starters and have a few young big names ready to step in as well.

In other words, the Ohio State to 4th is basically crazy talk. The rationale was basically laughable.

Reactions: RobinHawk
SPOONER,

I was trying to politely point out that it's really hard to put 3 or even 4 teams ahead of the defending NCAA champ when they are returning 8 starters and considerably more points than any other team.....

Even when the guy they are losing is L. Stieber!

Last edited:
I was mistaken. For some reason I thought Demas still had eligibility. Still, my premise remains the same. He only accounted for 1 point at the NCAA tournament and it is pretty safe to assume that Micah Jordan can't do much worse!

Instead of 9 returning starters accounting for 76 points they ACTUALLY have 8 returning starters accounting for 75 points with another Jordan taking over the weight(157) I messed up on!

Regardless They're still very much in the convo to win it again having them at 4th or below is a little crazy especially with what they return and have coming in

So, before the season starts you would feel comfortable picking 3 specific teams to finish ahead of tOSU?

tomasello no where to go but down will not make finals, dijulius not really impressed no offence,little stieb coming off double surgeries,m. Jordon unproven,other jorden tough as nails cant beat cousin though, martin inconsistent courts got lucky would bet against him everytime, Snyder tough but so are a lot of guys in that weight,hvy have to see to belive, cael let the guy go for a reason. spooner screw you smart mouth punk.

tomasello no where to go but down will not make finals, dijulius not really impressed no offence,little stieb coming off double surgeries,m. Jordon unproven,other jorden tough as nails cant beat cousin though, martin inconsistent courts got lucky would bet against him everytime, Snyder tough but so are a lot of guys in that weight,hvy have to see to belive, cael let the guy go for a reason. spooner screw you smart mouth punk.
Wow, that's absolutely worst-case-scenario for every guy. The only one that I confidently agree with you on is Courts (and I guess Martin also).

Tomasello is tough as hell. You're right, obviously the only direction to go is down, and with the addition of Mega (probably), I'd agree his best-case is 2nd.
DiJulius - beat LOTS of good wrestlers last year, but he also mixes in some brain-fart matches. I believe he improves this year.
"Little Stieb" - who knows, DNP to top 4 (at 149). Is there speculation he moves to 141, or are they going to leave that to Key'Shawn Kayes?
Micah Jordan - disagree, he had a decent freshman campaign. They were pondering taking his shirt off to fill in for Hunter. Hindsight says they should have
Bo - doesn't need to beat his cousin to get to the finals. Honestly, the way they both wrestle, I don't see how he loses to him again. The cousin is much more inconsistent, and Bo is HUGE for 165. Only one in his way, in my eyes, is Deiringer if he stays at 165.
Martin - not much debate here
Courts - yes, I think he got real lucky too (or did he just get that much better throughout the season)
Snyder - look at his experience, I don't think it was any fluke that he got there. I see him in the finals again, or at worst, 3rd
Hvy - no idea.

I believe PSU and OSU are the clear favorites next year, with PSU having a slight edge because they have more balance top to bottom. I'm not sure who to put at 3rd right now, Okie State, Iowa, or Missouri. I'd have to study them more to figure that out. Maybe I'll do that in the offseason since I'm not doing anything right now;) ;););)

Tomasello is tough as hell. You're right, obviously the only direction to go is down, and with the addition of Mega (probably), I'd agree his best-case is 2nd.

I'm going to have to completely disagree with you on Mega being any kind of lock to win a title or even be in the finals. The guy that beat him and made the finals two years ago just finished 5th. Nico will be in the title conversation along with several other guys. Tomasello will be one of those guys and he could absolutely repeat

I did not say they would not repeat I said they had just as good of a chance to finish 4th as 1st. I was asked to justify this statement and this was my thoughts of how this could happen. everyone got all bent out of shape you would think I was on a fost board, yall got me so shook I misspelled car-els name.

I am a big fan of Mega but do not put a lot of stock in Tomasello. He had a great tourney and will be a contender but I think Gilman will be right up there and can beat any of them. Gilman beat Conaway, Dance and Garrett...he beat Garrett twice. Garrett was on everybody's top of the podium list.

I think Gilman gives NT problems...much like Waters gave Gilman problems. If Gilman can find that consistent offense, not many will be able to stay with him. This is not to put Nate down...he came to wrestle while Gilman did not in the semis.

I have no issue with arguments against tOSU. My issue is more the arguments for other teams to currently be favored over tOSU. Simply put tOSU will be far more NCAA tournament "battle tested" going into the season than any other top team.

tOSU returns 6 AA finishes(1st, 6th, 3rd, 3rd, 5th and 2nd) and a combined record of 37-27. They are returning 64 matches(amongst 8 guys) of NCAA Tournament experience. The amount of matches is HUGE. No other team comes close to that. This is a huge factor for the new guys as well. Being surrounded by guys who have been there makes it easier to prepare and go through the 3 day grind that no other experience can prepare you for.

not one of those six are very offensive wrestlers,maybe stieb but two surgeries kind of a maybe to me.i am hoping stoll and paddock are preparing right now if they can score desent points then with our seven possible aas then ,anywhere from 4th to 1st are reasonable.yea everything has to go our way ,but do you think anybody on the team is conceding it to fost.I don't personally believe brody will place at 157, could happen.

ADVERTISEMENT