ADVERTISEMENT

MLB Draft

wonder what the over under is (draft slot wise) on some of these guys for whether or not they forgo college if drafted.

With as strong as the college game is right now, unless mid 6 figures are offered, I think kids are better off taking their chances on waiting until they have 2 years under their belt

Hmmm......to me, that's a bit borderline. Come on back Blake and make yourself a better pitcher and give them reason to draft you higher.

Hmmm......to me, that's a bit borderline. Come on back Blake and make yourself a better pitcher and give them reason to draft you higher.

I would guess that he is still going to sign. Not as high as some were predicting, but there is no guarantee that he would go higher next year. Leverage is significantly reduced for college seniors. It's hard to walk away from a quarter-million dollars to play baseball.

I would guess that he is still going to sign. Not as high as some were predicting, but there is no guarantee that he would go higher next year. Leverage is significantly reduced for college seniors. It's hard to walk away from a quarter-million dollars to play baseball.
I would guess he is probably gone too but I think it's not really a good idea.

Another year in Cape Cod, another year as a pitcher in the B1G, and a chance to learn how to pitch and maybe develop some run or sink on his FB..... I would have to strongly consider staying.

Short of an injury, i would have to think there is very little chance he would drop further than the 7th round as a senior. Not for a guy that can hit 96-97 with still low arm mileage

If he stayed he wouldn't pitch in the Cape, he's already been there. He likely wouldn't drop further in the draft but seniors stand to make less money in the draft than do juniors.

Teams are free to allocate money from other draft slots through the first ten rounds as they choose. Blake could end up signing for a little more or little less. All depends. Either way, I doubt he's looking at anything less than 200-thousand.

And he can easily get hurt if he stays. I hope he goes and I wish him well

If you read what Blake has said on twitter, sounds like he is gone. It probably doesn't help that a hometown team in the White Sox drafted him. IMO, he could come back next year and probably be a top 100 pick if he kept improving at the pace he has.

We ran into the same situation last year with Sasha Kuebel who was drafted really low but it was the St. Louis Cardinals drafted him.

Teams cannot offer more than $100k for picks after the tenth round so it seems Hickman and Peyton are the two players at most risk.

I posted this a similar message in the Lounge and I now realize this isn't correct. Teams can still pick someone later and offer them "savings" from their slot pool to bring make a signing bonus a higher dollar amount.

It will be interesting to see when Tyler Peyton goes, really hope we can keep him. I understand the pride in being drafted and more leverage as a junior. However, as an Iowa fan it would be huge to keep Peyton as we'd have our Friday starter and normal 1B coming back.

No other Iowa players drafted today.

No HS kids from Iowa drafted today either.

well based on what I saw is this yr he certainly looked draftable to me. his velocity was good enough and at that level as many guys as I saw swing through his pitches the dude has something going on. he may not have enough top end to make it in the bigs but it sure seemed to me that he has "stuff"

Yeah that's awfully low for Peyton. Maybe that'll encourage him to stay, especially since Comito won't be coming in apparently.

WOW @ the High School guys signing already being drafted that late. Yes I say late because it's outside of the 10th round.

David Price told the vast majority of high school kids to go to college as they will be the best three years of their lives. The guy was only the #1 draft pick as a Junior, so what does he know right?

Yeah that's awfully low for Peyton. Maybe that'll encourage him to stay, especially since Comito won't be coming in apparently.

I hope Peyton comes back, 33rd round really isn't prime position for anyone to be drafted. I think if he keeps improving like he has from his sophomore to junior year then he will only improve his draft stock.

In all, 14 players with Iowa ties were drafted this year. That includes Sioux City North senior left-handed pitcher Daniel Tillo, who went to the Minnesota Twins in the 39th round.

Tillo was the 2015 Iowa Mr. Basketball and announced this week he will play baseball at the University of Kentucky.

Other Iowans taken were Zack Coppola, an outfielder from South Dakota State and West Des Moines Dowling (13th round, Phillies), Alec Rash, a pitcher from the University of Missouri and Adel-DeSoto-Minburn High School (23rd round, Nationals), Shane Kemp (a pitcher from George Washington University and Waterloo Columbus) and Taylor Ostrich (a first baseman from Old Dominion and Carroll High School).

That was from the Gazette. They forgot to mention commit Daniel Perry in 13th round

HUGE. Particularly with the loss of Comito yesterday.

any word on Perry? That would be great if he enrolls. With the starting SS returning and what Heller calls "The best JUCO SS in the midwest" signing, we should be solid up the middle.

ADVERTISEMENT