ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Murray, Rebraca earn All-Big Ten honors

Kris a 3rd Team All American

Fqn8e2GXgAICo3c

Seems like a feel good award in this case......

CMAC won the award in 2020. I guess being even keeled, reasonable, and never complaining runs in the family.

Its fine for PMAC and he probably deserves it more than CMAC. PMAC i is more low-key on the court than CMAC. CMAC is aggressive and plays with an edge. It's great that CMAC has an edge, but that doesn't normally get you the sportsmanship award unless you have the proper pedigree.

This is just another example of how insiders to the game get preferential praise and treatment. Chris Murray is the most polite guy on court, never really complains about calls or begs for calls, he would deserve it more...but he's the best player on Iowa and All-B1G, so he already has an award. Kris Murray ought to get humanitarian award of the year for sitting patiently behind CMAC and PMAC on the bench for 2 years when he was obviously more talented. First year Kris Murray starts, voila All-B1G while the two guys that played ahead of him, CMAC and PMAC can't make any All-b1g teams, but they are great sports.

Coaching/referees/ncaa bureaucrats and even the Press is such a closed fraternity, they pretty much bend over backwards to be nice/praise each other.

CMAC won the award in 2020. I guess being even keeled, reasonable, and never complaining runs in the family.

Its fine for PMAC and he probably deserves it more than CMAC. PMAC i is more low-key on the court than CMAC. CMAC is aggressive and plays with an edge. It's great that CMAC has an edge, but that doesn't normally get you the sportsmanship award unless you have the proper pedigree.

This is just another example of how insiders to the game get preferential praise and treatment. Chris Murray is the most polite guy on court, never really complains about calls or begs for calls, he would deserve it more...but he's the best player on Iowa and All-B1G, so he already has an award. Kris Murray ought to get humanitarian award of the year for sitting patiently behind CMAC and PMAC on the bench for 2 years when he was obviously more talented. First year Kris Murray starts, voila All-B1G while the two guys that played ahead of him, CMAC and PMAC can't make any All-b1g teams, but they are great sports.

Coaching/referees/ncaa bureaucrats and even the Press is such a closed fraternity, they pretty much bend over backwards to be nice/praise each other.
I guess. And I'm not trying to be down on Pmac, but don't see him being worthy of any award. This just seems like its out of sympathy for the kid. Usually even the sportsmanship award goes to someone who actually did something on the court, besides just being a nice guy.

Good thing these "die-hard "Hawkeye fans have no vote for for this award and it is left to outsiders to honor a Hawkeye.

In the good old days die- hard Hawkeye fans despised our rival players more than their own.

That truly is an amazing 10-year run. We've had a member of the first-team all-conference team in 8 of the past 10 seasons.

To put that in perspective, it took the previous 29 seasons to accumulate that same number of first-team all-conference selections.

For those wondering, the previous first-teamers were:

1985 - Greg Stokes
1989 - Ed Horton
1992 - Acie Earl
1996 - Andre Woolridge
1996 - Jess Settles
1997 - Andre Woolridge
2006 - Greg Brunner
2007 - Adam Haluska

Of note: Neither B.J. Armstrong nor Roy Marble ever made first-team all-conference.

EDIT: I see FIDM posted something similar to this post while I was typing it.

That truly is an amazing 10-year run. We've had a member of the first-team all-conference team in 8 of the past 10 seasons.

To put that in perspective, it took the previous 29 seasons to accumulate that same number of first-team all-conference selections.

For those wondering, the previous first-teamers were:

1985 - Greg Stokes
1989 - Ed Horton
1992 - Acie Earl
1996 - Andre Woolridge
1996 - Jess Settles
1997 - Andre Woolridge
2006 - Greg Brunner
2007 - Adam Haluska

Of note: Neither B.J. Armstrong nor Roy Marble ever made first-team all-conference.

EDIT: I see FIDM posted something similar to this post while I was typing it.

it's all good; its an interesting look at the last 40 years (yikes)

First Team All B1G selections, the last 40 years:

8: 1984-2010.....(27 years: Raveling, Davis, Alford, Lick)
8: 2011-2023......(13 years: Fran McCaffery)

The most amazing thing about that (sorry Fran haters) is that none of those first teamers were can't miss recruits, saying a lot about Fran's ability to coach his players.

The most amazing thing about that (sorry Fran haters) is that none of those first teamers were can't miss recruits, saying a lot about Fran's ability to coach his players.
Yep, only two 4 star recruits, the rest were 3 stars.

Reactions: rrsteffe
Good thing these "die-hard "Hawkeye fans have no vote for for this award and it is left to outsiders to honor a Hawkeye.

In the good old days die- hard Hawkeye fans despised our rival players more than their own.
And a charging call was a real charging call back then

You have to wonder why McCaffery can't land some of the bigger fish he pursues. He consistently demonstrates he can turn players into stars with his offensive system. Instead, so many of them go to other schools, including the bluebloods, and become just another cog, or worse yet, lost in the crowd.

He plays a system where somebody, usually a stretch 4 scores a lot in an offense were we score a lot, and that draws recognition. Unfortunately it all seems to fall to shit in the tourney, because we don't defend, and offense will only carry you so far in strange arena's and using different basketballs, as we've seen far to often.....

He plays a system where somebody, usually a stretch 4 scores a lot in an offense were we score a lot, and that draws recognition. Unfortunately it all seems to fall to shit in the tourney, because we don't defend, and offense will only carry you so far in strange arena's and using different basketballs, as we've seen far to often.....

and guard play has let us down in the Big Dance

and guard play has let us down in the Big Dance
Absolutely. Jok was a scoring machine on a meh...team, but its almost always the stretch 4 or a big that Frans offense is built around. The tourney seems to be won by teams with guards who can penetrate and dish or score, AND defend, which Iowa doesn't ever seen to have that guy. Perkins has his moments, but frustrates and disappears in other games, so its hard to believe this year will be any different. Another possible matchup with Wisconsin on Thursday afternoon doesn't look promising either.....

Reactions: Franisdaman
Absolutely. Jok was a scoring machine on a meh...team, but its almost always the stretch 4 or a big that Frans offense is built around. The tourney seems to be won by teams with guards who can penetrate and dish or score, AND defend, which Iowa doesn't ever seen to have that guy. Perkins has his moments, but frustrates and disappears in other games, so its hard to believe this year will be any different. Another possible matchup with Wisconsin on Thursday afternoon doesn't look promising either.....
I relish the chance to play Wisconsin again. It’s exactly the kind of team they need to learn to beat. They should have our attention.

Perkins biggest disappointment to me is his lack of concentration and consistency on defense. He can do it, but hasn‘t for long stretches. When he comes dedicated to defense I think he will carry the team. His play is infectious.

Reactions: Franisdaman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT