ADVERTISEMENT

National Championship

BK Hawk1

Rookie
Dec 13, 2014
The ability to win a National Championship at Iowa has sometimes been questioned. My question do you think a younger Nick Saban, he is 63 and it takes time or Urban Meyer win a National Championship at Iowa? Just a question. I'm not asking for smart remarks from the cheap seats!

Really. Did you ask this?? Neither cause they aren't coming to IC. You may as well have asked if Jesus or the Devil could get it done faster.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

We absolutely could and with a tourny now we have a better chance than ever. The problem is the next guy that proves himself where recruits will follow a name is going to be 10 million bucks.

There have only been a few teams in Iowa history that have had the potential to win a national championship. In modern history, that would be the '85, '02, and '09 teams. In the next 50 years we'll probably have around three teams that could realistically win a national championship. If the stars all align in one of those years, it could happen, but I wouldn't bet on it.

To answer your question, if Saban started next year at age 50, I'd say he could get us to a Rose Bowl or two, but probably not a national championship.

*I'll add the '97 and '10 versions (yes, I know they both lost 5 games) as teams that had the talent to win a national championship. It's just that it's very rare that we have the talent to win a national championship, so when we have those talented teams all the stars need to align. Programs like Alabama usually have the talent to win a national championship, so every few years or so they will win one, if they have a good coach.

This post was edited on 4/18 12:43 AM by hoks2415

Originally posted by BK Hawk1:
The ability to win a National Championship at Iowa has sometimes been questioned. My question do you think a younger Nick Saban, he is 63 and it takes time or Urban Meyer win a National Championship at Iowa? Just a question. I'm not asking for smart remarks from the cheap seats!
I've always wondered how far Saban could have taken Michigan State if he stayed. I don't think he would have won a national championship there.

Also, if I was Texas, I would have offered $6+ million a year to Dantonio. I think Dantonio would have Texas back in the championship game pretty quickly.

This post was edited on 4/18 1:00 AM by hoks2415

There have been at least 5 teams in just the Hayden Fry and Kirk Ferentz era's that could have been the NC. The last being the 2009 team...which I still say with a more aggressive Ferentz coulda/shoulda won it.

Great question. In addition, going back a bit, I think the 1960 team and the 1958 teams had great chances.

Originally posted by soybean:
There have been at least 5 teams in just the Hayden Fry and Kirk Ferentz era's that could have been the NC. The last being the 2009 team...which I still say with a more aggressive Ferentz coulda/shoulda won it.
Agreed...and had Shonn Greene stuck around another year, being too conservative might not have mattered...

This post was edited on 4/18 9:46 AM by MadDogC

With a 10-0 lead vs NW in Kinnick KOK was very aggressive calling the naked bootleg that ended Stanzi's season and killed our hopes for winning a title. Vandy was not ready to lead us to a title. We won a number of miraculous games that year...we would never have beaten LSU or Bama after barely edging UNI.

That Iowa team would've beat Bama or LSU. Stanzi was just a winner and he had it rolling that year. If he doesn't get hurt they win Nat Title in 09.

Might as well count it as a NC for Iowa, just like all the woulda coulda shoulda victories you had over Nebraska until you actually had to play the games head to head.

Also, if I was Texas, I would have offered $6+ million a year to Dantonio. I think Dantonio would have Texas back in the championship game pretty quickly.

The only downside I see with Dantonio is his age. I believe he's 60 or real close to it. Other than his age, he's one hell of a coach....maybe one of the top 5 in the game today.

Big Debbie Rules, you should be worried about all the Great Pub you cornholers are getting with Philips and now Vershan Jackson. How much crap did your Saint Tom sweep under the rug to keep the creep Philips on the field. Your program may be great in your mind, but people around the country see what crap TO did to win in reality. The Peters brothers -Thunder -Philips etc etc etc! You should stay on your own board TROLLHOLER.

Originally posted by hawkjt:
With a 10-0 lead vs NW in Kinnick KOK was very aggressive calling the naked bootleg that ended Stanzi's season and killed our hopes for winning a title. Vandy was not ready to lead us to a title. We won a number of miraculous games that year...we would never have beaten LSU or Bama after barely edging UNI.
Maybe. Maybe not.

Originally posted by ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK:
That Iowa team would've beat Bama or LSU. Stanzi was just a winner and he had it rolling that year. If he doesn't get hurt they win Nat Title in 09.
Even if Stanzi didn't get hurt and Iowa went 12-0, we would not have made it to the championship game. There is no way Iowa would have jumped an unbeaten Alabama or Texas team.

Originally posted by hoks2415:
Even if Stanzi didn't get hurt and Iowa went 12-0, we would not have made it to the championship game. There is no way Iowa would have jumped an unbeaten Alabama or Texas team.
Some people will never comprehend that.,

Which is why we now have a playoff.
lurk.r191677.gif

The bigger set of plays imo is Brad Banks fumbling with no one around him and us losing to ISU up 17 at half and Craig Freaking Krenzel throwing a hail marry to beat Purdue.

Those things dont happen like that and we play for the NC that year.

Originally posted by BK Hawk1:
A younger Nick Saban did not win one at Michigan State, and a younger Urban Meyer did not do it at Utah or Bowling Green. Could they have at Iowa coming from those schools? They certainly will not come from Alabama or OSU.

I've said this repeatedly and ppl don't get it

Iowa isn't currently set up to make a Champioship run year after year. But on any given year you can make a run, and once in the playoffs, who knows.

As a Buckeye fan it's nice to think that OSU was the best team last year and the Championship proved it. But it's also possible that once they got into the Conference Champioship and playoffs, they were just the hottest team.

No reason why the Hawkeyes can't some day make a similar single season run.

^^^This. The beauty of this new system is a regualr season loss doesn't kill your chances like it would in the past. A team can lose one, as long as it is somewhat respectable like a VaTech, and rebound to win the division, then the conference, make the playoffs and go on a roll to the title. OSU proved that in year 1 of this thing.

Iowa is a place where this scenario could realistically play out.

A lot of fans seem to forget the 1991 team for some reason...another biscuit for breakfast and Iowa is NC.

Originally posted by SingaporeHawk:
Great question. In addition, going back a bit, I think the 1960 team and the 1958 teams had great chances.
1960's team would have won the national title but a loss to Minnesota (the eventual national champion, last national title for their football program as well) kept them out of the Rose Bowl, that season is generally forgotten. Great Team! 1958's team did win a national title, it was awarded by the FWAA so whether or not it counts is completely your opinion. I believe it does, IMO.

Originally posted by IACentralHawk73:

Originally posted by SingaporeHawk:
1960's team would have won the national title but a loss to Minnesota (the eventual national champion, last national title for their football program as well) kept them out of the Rose Bowl, that season is generally forgotten. Great Team! 1958's team did win a national title, it was awarded by the FWAA so whether or not it counts is completely your opinion. I believe it does, IMO.
Wasn't there also the deal with LSU playing in a segregated conference at the time, while the BIG was fully integrated? Too lazy to look that up, hoping someone here remembers.

For Iowa to win a National Championship.....they need it all to come together. The talent has to be there, the schedule has to be favorable and the ball needs to bounce just right. Chances like that don't happen very often. The 2002 season was much like that.

For Saban or Meyer to come in a do that.....they would also need the time and luck as well.

Can it happen? Sure, but don't expect it.

Originally posted by swagsurfer02:

I've said this repeatedly and ppl don't get it
Probably true because of how big Texas is and that Iowa didn't play in a CCG, but Iowa would've deserved to get in over them after Suh ragdolled their entire team.

So, playing devil's advocate here, and this could be interesting to see the varying replies.................

Say Iowa finally wins the national championship in 2016 with Kirk Ferentz still as head coach (and throw logic out the window when trying to contemplate how that would ever be possible....basically just don't worry about it).......my questions to you people are:

What is the next step? (if you give a mouse a cookie etc etc....fans will want another.......or else
indifferent.r191677.gif
)

and,

Will Kirk Ferentz have won you back over? (This question is to find out how truly done you are with KF, that not even a national title could make you appreciate what he does anymore, because I feel there are these people out there, but then again people do say a lot of stupid things without really thinking about it.....)

Originally posted by EvilMonkeyInTheCloset:
So, playing devil's advocate here, and this could be interesting to see the varying replies.................

Say Iowa finally wins the national championship in 2016 with Kirk Ferentz still as head coach (and throw logic out the window when trying to contemplate how that would ever be possible....basically just don't worry about it).......my questions to you people are:

What is the next step? (if you give a mouse a cookie etc etc....fans will want another.......or else
indifferent.r191677.gif
)

and,

Will Kirk Ferentz have won you back over? (This question is to find out how truly done you are with KF, that not even a national title could make you appreciate what he does anymore, because I feel there are these people out there, but then again people do say a lot of stupid things without really thinking about it.....)
There is nothing that Kirk & Co. have done in years, or appear to be doing, that would bring any sort of enthusiasm for anyone not clinically insane. Consistently lose to Iowa State, get MAULED by Minnesota, and THRASHED by a 6-6 Tennessee team in a (cough, cough) Bowl Game. That kind of reality doesn't warrant the warm fuzzies, but I suppose those constantly medicated may be able to talk themselves into some utopian Black and Fools Gold scenario.

Rudock is gone. That's a plus. We will probably play a running back at the running back position for the first time in 3 years. That's a plus. That appears to be about it.

They can't even find a punter for Christ's sake.

If by younger you mean pre-championship (in other words, they come to Iowa never having won a championship)....not likely. They are good coaches who realized that some schools have an inherent advantage and getting a job there greatly increased their odds of winning a championship. When you have great coaches at great schools, great coaches at 2nd tier schools have to have the stars align to win a NC.

If you mean younger so they'd have time, but already having the national champion reputation and what that does for recruiting, sure. The problem is that you'd be highly unlikely to get them here and the only way they'd consider it is an obscene amount of money that Iowa would never fork out.

Just like recruits where we're chasing diamonds in the rough...Iowa will always hire the up an comer with the hopes that they emerge here at Iowa. It worked with Fry, worked with Ferentz, worked with Olson, failed with Alford, Lickliter. So far it's working pretty well with McCaffery (especially if you consider where we started with him).

If by younger you mean pre-championship (in other words, they come to Iowa never having won a championship)....not likely. They are good coaches who realized that some schools have an inherent advantage and getting a job there greatly increased their odds of winning a championship. When you have great coaches at great schools, great coaches at 2nd tier schools have to have the stars align to win a NC.

If you mean younger so they'd have time, but already having the national champion reputation and what that does for recruiting, sure. The problem is that you'd be highly unlikely to get them here and the only way they'd consider it is an obscene amount of money that Iowa would never fork out.

Just like recruits where we're chasing diamonds in the rough...Iowa will always hire the up an comer with the hopes that they emerge here at Iowa. It worked with Fry, worked with Ferentz, worked with Olson, failed with Alford, Lickliter. So far it's working pretty well with McCaffery (especially if you consider where we started with him).

You left out Gable lol...

Am I missing something?

Saban was 34-24-1 at Michigan State. Yes, he went 9-2 his last year, but before that he won 6, 7, 6, 6 games respectively. He lost all three of his bowl games.

Saban is now a top 3 coach, certainly he learned and improved in the 15 years since. He has now built an institution at Alabama, well, no, check that, he revived it.

Urban Meyer took over a perennial top team, and the second largest in the nation, in a state full of prospects. We all know Urban wouldn't have went anywhere but a program like that. Does that mean he can't coach up an Iowa team? Of course it doesn't mean that, he has proven himself every step of the way, he is a top-3 coach.

But, what would it take for either of them to build Iowa into a contender? A lot, a helluva lot. Statistically, factually, it is extremely unlikely.

I've said this many, many times, and the playoffs only strengthen this: Iowa does not need to worry about winning a National Title, they need to worry about, and contend for a Big Ten title. Win that, and everything opens up.

There is nothing that Kirk & Co. have done in years, or appear to be doing, that would bring any sort of enthusiasm for anyone not clinically insane. Consistently lose to Iowa State, get MAULED by Minnesota, and THRASHED by a 6-6 Tennessee team in a (cough, cough) Bowl Game. That kind of reality doesn't warrant the warm fuzzies, but I suppose those constantly medicated may be able to talk themselves into some utopian Black and Fools Gold scenario.

Rudock is gone. That's a plus. We will probably play a running back at the running back position for the first time in 3 years. That's a plus. That appears to be about it.

They can't even find a punter for Christ's sake.

right-o.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT