ADVERTISEMENT

NBA Draft Thread

FSHawkeye87

HR All-American
Gold Member
Apr 8, 2010
Here for impressions/reactions. The Aaron White watch will start around the mid-2nd round, but I figure I'll start a thread for the whole draft.

It's widely assumed Karl Anthony Towns will go #1, but spots 2-6 should provide plenty of entertainment. The 1st round will inevitably provide some future busts, so we will see who those are and who has been over-drafted. Apparently some people are not high on Sam Dekker, but I'm not one of them. I think if anybody gets him outside of the lottery, it will be a great pick. It will be interesting to see where other Big Ten players get drafted as well. So, with the draft beginning soon, let's get this started.

And there's the first surprise: D'angelo Russell to the Lakers for the 2nd pick

I think it was a surprise to the general public, maybe not those who follow the Lakers closely. This would also make sense with the Register's reports that Olaseni held his own against Okafor in his workout. I personally think the Lakers overthought this one by not taking Okafor, but we shall see.

On another note, we've seen 2 B1G players go in the Top 10 of the draft so far, with Kaminsky to the Hornets.

bow ties are the dominant fashion choice this evening.

Calipari is the Donald Trump of college basketball coaches.

I'm sure the dollar bills and other perks do just fine in convincing them.

I don't understand the Rockets pick of Dekker, when they need a PG. I think Grant would have been a great addition. I can only guess that Morey has some plans to move a PF in a trade for a PG. Dekker will benefit from the Rockets up-tempo style.

And to no one in Minnesota's surprise, the Timberwolves traded their early 2nd round pickup from overseas and a 2nd rounder next year with Cleveland for Apple Valley's Tyus Jones (picked 24th I believe by the Cavs).

This is one of those "sell some tickets" maneuvers. The same thing that netted St. Paul native Joe Mauer 23 million a year to hit 4 homers and drive in 70 runs.....................

I don't know how this will play out with Jones, but most folks up this way would rather see Ricky Rubio go away, to anywhere. The guy can't shoot to save his life and is an injury waiting to happen. The early talk was to maybe try and keep "the tandem" together in the Pro's with Okafor and Jones, guess now it's Towns and Jones.

Anyway, not a real surprise to me that the T-Wolves made a trade for Jones. He'll sell some tickets for awhile even if he can't play.

"....I don't know how this will play out with Jones, but most folks up this way would rather see Ricky Rubio go away, to anywhere. The guy can't shoot to save his life and is an injury waiting to happen. The early talk was to maybe try and keep "the tandem" together in the Pro's with Okafor and Jones, guess now it's Towns and Jones......."

The trade for Jones was a very smart move by Saunders IMO. I believe it will be Jones job the next time Rubio is injured which, as you mentioned, will probably happen soon enough. I was surprised how well Tyus Jones played in the NCAA tourney - he has a lot of potential and he is a local guy who the fans can rally around, a perfect tandem for Towns too. Saunders has a great nucleus to build around. Mix in the right vets and the T-Wolves could be contenders in a couple of years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT