ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska uh oh

Just a gut feeling that Miles is pretty hard to take under that grinning facade. That assistant who's leaving probably recruited the two Chicago gems coming in, so look for gradual disintegration from now on.

Extension? With all his half time tweeting he should get a big raise! Plus he saved them money by not using the Lockerroom for 1/3 of the season.

Nebraska is one of up to five Big Ten schools where I think legitimate concerns could be raised over the condition of their basketball program.

In an odd twist, maybe, or maybe it's getting all too common, all five schools supposedly out recruited us. In some cases, again. But for various reasons when I look at their rosters and/or what kind of talent it takes for their coach to succeed...they don't scare me.

Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, Nebraska, Penn State. From the occasional loud rumblings of the Indiana fans (Child like tantrums...give them the candy of one good recruit and they get all happy again) to the quiet, "again?" disappointment of Penn State, and the turn on a dime feral expectations of Minnesota and Illinois fans?

Of all of them I can imagine no greater potential for a massive mid-season breakdown between coach and EVERYONE else involved than Tim Miles and Nebraska. He already seems to be getting verbally testy with those who dare to have concerns. We know he is subject to odd actions and behaviors. And Nebraska didn't spend all that money on facilities just to look stupid! (Though it may turn out that way, they certainly won't give up after trying just one oddball coach, will they?)

Yeah, I can imagine a scenario where he is physically removed from job, office, Lincoln, pretty much the state of Nebraska. And if that happens I have just one request for the Cornhuskers. Don't toss him onto Iowa soil, pitch him back North where he came from.

Reactions: hooper56
The one reason why I would not see a massive mid-season breakdown between Miles and the Nebraska roster is that I think expectations have been significantly scaled back. Next year appears to be recognized as a rebuilding year where there will be low expectations. Other than Shields, the talent is young and unproven. If they get back to playing hard, and show signs of building towards the future, I think that will be enough for their fanbase.

That said, you can imagine a scenario where there are more shoes to drop. The coach who recently left had the recruiting ties to Australia/New Zealand. If the incoming recruit from Australia and Tai Webster (New Zealand) decide they want out, because he is gone, that would leave them really short on depth.

Count me among those who thought Miles had a bright future in Lincoln. He came in with a similar history as Fran of winning and turning around losing programs and seemed on the right track after that first season. You never really know coaches until they hit the big time and Miles certainly seems like a difficult personality who rubs those around him the wrong way. Nebraska seems to want to upgrade their basketball program and they have put themselves in a difficult position. It will certainly seem interesting to watch this unfold.

I

I wouldn't call them down and out quite yet. Next year is definitely a rebuilding year and I think they know that. Assistants leave all the time nowadays because they need to build their resume before they get offered a HC job, just look at Iowa State. Quite frankly, it's actually pretty amazing that Fran has kept all of his so far. Having said that, Miles is probably pinning his future on this year's recruiting class. In many ways it's similar to Fran's Woody and Gesell class, which has ended up paying dividends. If Morrow, Watson, and White (the KU transfer) can't push Nebraska into the top half by the end of their tenure, it probably won't be good for Miles.

When your leaders don't lead by example (Petteway), it makes it difficult to coach. Yeah, you have to set the culture and get guys to buy in, but if players are being a-holes and poisons the entire team and program.
I'm not writing off Miles yet.

Reactions: djwoody
When your leaders don't lead by example (Petteway), it makes it difficult to coach. Yeah, you have to set the culture and get guys to buy in, but if players are being a-holes and poisons the entire team and program.
I'm not writing off Miles yet.

Miles went the transfer route to re-build more quickly and ended up with a bad attitude in Petteway which I think really hurt them last season. That seemed his first major mistake although he seems an able coach and we probably have people writing him off too quickly. I've seen enough to make me wonder if that program does have some behind the scenes issues. We just need to see where things go from here with the talent he has brought in.

Yeah, I can imagine a scenario where he is physically removed from job, office, Lincoln, pretty much the state of Nebraska. And if that happens I have just one request for the Cornhuskers. Don't toss him onto Iowa soil, pitch him back North where he came from.

Good stuff, Dan. Well done, sir.

Reactions: DanL53
Not ready to dismiss Miles just yet. Watson looked great late in the year in the state tourney and probably is a 4 year starter at pg. Along with Morrow and Shields, that gives them a chance if howdy-doody does not screw it up...fake dude that he is.

Not ready to dismiss Miles just yet. Watson looked great late in the year in the state tourney and probably is a 4 year starter at pg. Along with Morrow and Shields, that gives them a chance if howdy-doody does not screw it up...fake dude that he is.

After the previous season, I thought Miles had Nebraska on the path of being a very solid program. He completely lost control of his team this past year, and it seems like he is willing to throw anyone under the bus to keep it from hitting him. Petteway might be addition by subtraction, but Miles has now lost his "great coach" luster. He will have the next couple of years to regain it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT