ADVERTISEMENT

New question. someone here claimed that Iowa was at a disadvantage in

-MDVOL

HR Legend
Nov 1, 2013
recruiting with other conferences due to No Spring Practice.

The BIG -10+4 HAS Spring Practice as I see dates set for Penn State, OSU, Rutgers and Nebraska already set and Iowa's listed as TBA.

So somebody please elaborate. Does Iowa have Spring Practice or not? I could understand about starting later than teams in the south and west due to the weather.

Who the he'll said Iowa doesn't have spring practice. Every D1 school in America has spring practice. I believe they all get 20 practices?

Now, if you are talking high school, then no, we do not have spring practice.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Re: New question. someone here claimed that Iowa was at a disadvantag

I've never seen anyone say this but if they did they were probably talking about Iowa high schools not having spring ball whereas some schools in the south do. I know our crappy spring weather has a pretty negative impact on baseball but I don't know how much it impacts football.

Where did you read this? I believe whatever you read was referring to Iowa not being a gold mine for recruits because high schools don't have spring ball and high school players don't play near as much as their counterparts in the south and west. I would equate football in the south to basketball in the midwest, maybe wrestling in Iowa.

One of the dudes here tried to claim that in one of the threads I had regarding recruiting and claimed it as one of the disadvantages Iowa has in with the football crazy south. . I'd have to go back and comb through every thread. But it's done. I don't need to try to hold anyone up for ridicule. Might have been meaning High Schools.but used the name Iowa so that perhaps I took it to mean the University.

It didn't sound right so I thought I'd look up Spring Game dates around the country in each conference.

Don't know if your Spring Game is as boring as UTs is. It used to be that they would have the 1st team offense play the 2nd team defense and the 2nd team offense play the 1st team defense. Made things interesting. It was almost like watching a real game.

Now, pfffffft.

Wish that they'd invite another team and have a real game, albeit with limitations as you don't want anybody to get hurt, especially Q/Bs. No Ko's. Start on the 20. Get 10 plays to score. Run the play clock so players get used to getting plays in and run on time.

But that's just me.

This post was edited on 1/23 10:24 PM by -MDVOL

Baseball in the spring in Iowa? Not high school, at least not March or April. That's for golf, track, and soccer. Unless they play Babe Ruth league or something similar.

You are probably correct and it was a misunderstanding on my end.

Wouldn't be the 1st time that has happened with me
ashamed0005.r191677.gif

Re: New question. someone here claimed that Iowa was at a disadvantag

Iowa just started having the final spring practice be in game format. Prior to two years ago it was just an open glorified practice. Now they scrimmage and keep scores for defense and offense.

I live in AZ. Here they have spring/summer 7 on 7 'passing' leagues for high school kids. I think the coaches can even work with the kids, but am not sure. Does Iowa have anything like that? I don't think so, but am not sure. That should help these kids enormously too.

I know Mediapolis in Iowa has played in 7 on 7 leagues the last few years. Especially when they had Ertz (KSU) as QB.

Iahsaa could care less about athlete development. They worry more about how much money they can rake in. Now that I think about it, they're just like the NCAA.

Originally posted by MepoDawg#:
I know Mediapolis in Iowa has played in 7 on 7 leagues the last few years. Especially when they had Ertz (KSU) as QB.
Yes, they have these leagues in Iowa.

Iowa as a state wide is starting to do more 7-7 camps and even Nike is starting to hold more camps in IA, in the past IA players had to go to Chicago, ST Louis or KC to get their exposure to be evaluated,

QB Boyle went to Chicago for their Elite 11 camp they only extend 1 QB a invitation to the open, as it is the lack of these camps such as 7 on 7 instate has hurt the development of IA FB players, also in IA with it being a small population state most kids excel in 3-4 sports. not just one,

with expansion of AAU teams in BB the BB players are exposed to that sport year round and it shows.

in the 90's there was really only 1 or 2 AAU teams that started with a group and went from grade school till they graduate, now there are multiple AAU team at multiple ages playing,

somebody on here posted about a group of FR FB team tearing it up on the national scene.

Iowa hasn't had a true spring game in 10 years, they have a "controlled" scrimmage where both offense and defense earn points. Last year Iowa held 2 of those in different parts of the state.

Originally posted by Hawkeye2222:

Iowa as a state wide is starting to do more 7-7 camps and even Nike is starting to hold more camps in IA, in the past IA players had to go to Chicago, ST Louis or KC to get their exposure to be evaluated,

QB Boyle went to Chicago for their Elite 11 camp they only extend 1 QB a invitation to the open, as it is the lack of these camps such as 7 on 7 instate has hurt the development of IA FB players, also in IA with it being a small population state most kids excel in 3-4 sports. not just one,

with expansion of AAU teams in BB the BB players are exposed to that sport year round and it shows.

in the 90's there was really only 1 or 2 AAU teams that started with a group and went from grade school till they graduate, now there are multiple AAU team at multiple ages playing,

somebody on here posted about a group of FR FB team tearing it up on the national scene.
Played AAU ball in the 90s and this is not true. Please stop making stuff up. AAU ball was more regional in Iowa from grade school till HS where you played with a lot of kids you'd go to HS with or nearby High Schools. We had tournaments almost every week in the Winter all over Iowa especially for the years of 5th-8th grade. In 9th grade and beyond is where you started to see who had college potential and this is when teams formed like Martin Brothers with Collison and Heinrich who traveled all over the country besides the Midwest. Plus a few other teams like that that traveled to tournaments outside of Iowa. But fair share would travel to tourneys in Midwest and surrounding states or do so with their HS teammates or combine members from few teams.

Now they are forming these teams earlier and earlier and players spread out around the state are more likely to play with one another at earlier ages. Pros and cons I guess with early developers and late bloomers.

Originally posted by Titanhawk2:

Iowa hasn't had a true spring game in 10 years, they have a "controlled" scrimmage where both offense and defense earn points. Last year Iowa held 2 of those in different parts of the state.
I believe this is wrong. Iowa had a practice in West Des Moines and a spring game at Kinnick. The spring game is scored differently, that is all. I went to the practice in WDM. It was definitiely a practice with very little scrimmage.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT