ADVERTISEMENT

Next Dark Horse

Azchief32

HR Heisman
Dec 20, 2012
With the resurgence of Daniel Dennis in freestyle, who do you all think is going to be our next Little Engine that Could...the recruit that nobody paid attention to that makes it big? Be interested to hear the predictions. I am going to go with Vince Turk. He did well at Montini who had a murderous schedule. Finish 3rd at Ironman. He is aggressive and seems like the type to fully buy in to Brands madness. Can't wait to see him at Opens.

I agree Vince Turk could emerge as a stud. I like him a lot.
If I had to pick one Dark Horse though, it'd be Steve Holloway. He just pinned Ritter, the Number 4 guy in his weight class. Once he gets to Iowa, he'll be fully focused on wrestling. The kid seems to have a swagger about him that fits with the Hawkeye wrestling mold.

Reactions: andegre
Tagen Lambotte? I know he's already been in the room for a year, but I know there were a few posters very high on him.

With the resurgence of Daniel Dennis in freestyle, who do you all think is going to be our next Little Engine that Could...the recruit that nobody paid attention to that makes it big? Be interested to hear the predictions. I am going to go with Vince Turk. He did well at Montini who had a murderous schedule. Finish 3rd at Ironman. He is aggressive and seems like the type to fully buy in to Brands madness. Can't wait to see him at Opens.
While I agree Turk will have a good to great run in IC, he's not coming in as unheralded as Dennis. Turk is a multi sc, Ironman place winner, Fargo Champ, was top 10 in his weight class and wrestled on a perennial national top 20 team that travled to all the big tournaments. He was paid attention to before he hits IC which IMO disqualifies him from "Little Engine that Could" status

Reactions: DonHawkeye
Holloway! Kid is going to be a beast and helps us out with recruiting dollars since we won't need to chase after a top 97er. More money for Hall and Lee!

Turk and Holloway are both top 100 recruits, I believe. Though I sense both may be underrated it is tough for me to think of them as dark horses.

I was thinking about him, Gobblin. Several folks high on him last year, then he never wrestled a match. What's the scoop?

Had shoulder surgery in early in the season... Kept him out the rest of the year. Absolutely could be our '57 this year. Tough as nails and takes on/hangs with all comers in the room. Remind you of anyone?; )

As far as where he could fit next year and beyond? That remains to be seen, but he'll most certainly have something to say about it.

Cole Erickson could surprise after couple years in the room. Didn't he beat some stud from Illinois his jr year? ;)

I'll weigh in and go with Joey Gunther. Everything I've read about him says he's a goer with a great attitude and lots of upside. I've watched him a few times and he's talented. Wasn't nationally ranked, so definitely qualifies as a dark horse type. He has some Greco success. Two X Fargo finalist I believe. I suppose his success ultimately depends on where Marinelli ends up weight wise.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT