ADVERTISEMENT

Noah Shannon (and 25 others) will file a Federal Lawsuit this week

I have to admit I posted months ago that Shannon should sue the NCAA. I'm thrilled that it's happening, but no amount of money can ever give him back his final year of college football.
Totally agree with ^^^. He could have played a lot, played with the defense against Mich in Big Champ game when the hawks really shut down the wolves.

Besides that he probably had his rights violated in a MAJOR way. And I hope the State of Iowa twits involved get caught in this and the state pays.

Gov Dimmy and her cohort love to crow about their state money surplus so now is the time to dip into it.

She certainly isnt using the surpluc to make education and social services better.

I have to admit I posted months ago that Shannon should sue the NCAA. I'm thrilled that it's happening, but no amount of money can ever give him back his final year of college football.

The State of Iowa is going to pay dearly.

They better settle, imo. Can you imagine if this went to a jury trial and the truth comes out in terms of what the DCI did? Punitive damages comes to mind.

I agree wholeheartedly that what this DCI agent and any others involved was wrong, heavy-handed, violated these young men’s 4th Amendment rights, and was a political move that blew up in their face. For that those involved should have been fired. If I was the state I would have fired them long ago.

Part of the defense will be that Noah was violating an NCAA rule, that he admitted to, and that’s the only reason he didn’t play last fall. (He wasn’t violating any law). That he shouldn’t have been caught by the state’s illegal action doing something he knew he shouldn’t have been doing is tricky and not necessarily a slam dunk. Then again, I don’t know all of the facts or all of the possible legal theories.

With that, I hope he gets paid.

I don’t think he has any claim against the NCAA. Iowa Football self-reported his gambling when they found out about it. The gambling he did was against the NCAA rules. So they suspended his eligibility. Because it was self reported and not obtained by the NCAA through nefarious means there isn’t really a claim to be made.

The state on the other hand should be screwed. He violated no law so the DCI should not have unprompted given any evidence of his perfectly legal activities to the university. They’ll make a claim that it is one state organization sharing info with another, so there should be no issue with them doing that. But the problem is that the information seems to have been illegally obtained by the DCI.

Warrantless surveillance is now a feature of today's america in case you didnt notice recent events in congress. As some of you cheer on the legal contortions of political lawfare events happening daily, remember your ox gets gored eventually too. The outrage over free speech, censorship and citizen rights should be hand in glove but instead political tribalism compels many to ignore the implications of a rogue intelligence, surveillance state and crooked judiciary. Enjoy the inevitable!

Warrantless surveillance is now a feature of today's america in case you didnt notice recent events in congress. As some of you cheer on the legal contortions of political lawfare events happening daily, remember your ox gets gored eventually too. The outrage over free speech, censorship and citizen rights should be hand in glove but instead political tribalism compels many to ignore the implications of a rogue intelligence, surveillance state and crooked judiciary. Enjoy the inevitable!
Exactly.
We're all screwed.
And for those of you that say "I've got nothing to hide...let 'em do it!", well, as crooked as they are, if they want you, they will get you (anytime, anywhere).
Too easy for them.

And most people don't even care. They give up all their information voluntarily. They want to be surveilled.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
Good.

Next.lawsuit should be from every single student, staff member, or person that was in those dorms, could have been in the dorms, or was at or near any of the athletic facilities. The dci violated every single person's civil rights not just the athletes they decided to try and destroy.
The rationale for not allowing people under 21 gamble (or drink or smoke) is something to the effect of them not having the developmental maturity to make those decisions, so we as a society will protect them from themselves. And it's so important to protect them from themselves that we are going to impose penalties that will have significant negative impacts on their future. It's pretty illogical.

State of Iowa will never want this to go to court.

There will be a negotiated settlement and the Iowa AG can skate.
Some schmuck st the DCI will be the scapegoat.

Those attorneys in Ames got this started.
Bravo to them.
Well they did lose their starting QB over this.... so there's karma.

I'm all for getting retribution for the kids who lost a year of eligibility. They dedicate their lives to their sports and are Hawkeyes to their core. With that said, there is a doctrine of unclean hands that will come into play.

The kids knowingly and admittedly broke the rules and were subject to severe punishment as a result. None of them denied gambling when they shouldn't have. Many of them came up with elaborate ways to cheat the system, gambling through their parents phones or signing up under fake names. Some of them were under the legal gambling age of 21 and some bet on Hawkeye sports. It's not like the players are innocent victims here who did nothing wrong.

It's kind of like getting pulled over going 90 mph and using as a defense that "everyone else was speeding too." Ya still did the crime even if it's not fair that you were singled out for committing a crime that everyone else was committing as well.

The rationale for not allowing people under 21 gamble (or drink or smoke) is something to the effect of them not having the developmental maturity to make those decisions, so we as a society will protect them from themselves. And it's so important to protect them from themselves that we are going to impose penalties that will have significant negative impacts on their future. It's pretty illogical.
Not mature enough to drink, gamble, or smoke/chew/vape, but old enough to stick a gun in their hands and send them off to a foreign country to fight and die. Totally logical.

Totally agree with ^^^. He could have played a lot, played with the defense against Mich in Big Champ game when the hawks really shut down the wolves.

Besides that he probably had his rights violated in a MAJOR way. And I hope the State of Iowa twits involved get caught in this and the state pays.

Gov Dimmy and her cohort love to crow about their state money surplus so now is the time to dip into it.

She certainly isnt using the surpluc to make education and social services better.
Wrong board for your misguided political crap. Keep politics to yourself or get off this site.

I'm all for getting retribution for the kids who lost a year of eligibility. They dedicate their lives to their sports and are Hawkeyes to their core. With that said, there is a doctrine of unclean hands that will come into play.

The kids knowingly and admittedly broke the rules and were subject to severe punishment as a result. None of them denied gambling when they shouldn't have. Many of them came up with elaborate ways to cheat the system, gambling through their parents phones or signing up under fake names. Some of them were under the legal gambling age of 21 and some bet on Hawkeye sports. It's not like the players are innocent victims here who did nothing wrong.

It's kind of like getting pulled over going 90 mph and using as a defense that "everyone else was speeding too." Ya still did the crime even if it's not fair that you were singled out for committing a crime that everyone else was committing as well.
Not like I'd make a habit of it, but I actually agree with most of your post. They DID indeed commit the crime for which they were punished, for the most part. I'd still say though that Noah got bent over losing an entire season. He was of legal age, didn't falsify who was betting, and his bet was placed on a sport in which he has zero connection. I'm all for guy like Blom getting slammed for betting on a game where he in fact COULD have definetly affected the score.

STFU. Nobody cares what you have to say.

full text of tweet:

Attorneys Van Plumb and Matt Boles, representing Iowa State, Iowa, and Ellsworth Community College athletes, filed a federal lawsuit today against the State, DCI, DPS, and agents and administrators. The lawsuit was filed in Federal Court for alleged violations of the student-athletes' constitutional rights in last year's sports gambling investigation.

Plumb and Boles filed suit on behalf of Eyioma Uwazurike, Jirehl Brock, Isaiah Lee, DeShawn Hanika, Cobe Siebrecht, Nelson Brands, Ahron Ulis, Dodge Sauser, Keaton Anthony, Jake Remsburg, Hunter Dekkers, Noah Shannon, Benjamin James Tallman, Jacob Henderson, Jake English, Cullan Schriever, Tony Cassioppi, Aaron Blom, Jeremiah Williams, Abe Assad, Howard Brown, Patrick Kennedy, Gehrig W. Christensen, Arland Bruce IV, Jack Johnson, and Harry Bracy against the State of Iowa, the Iowa Department of Public Safety, the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation, Commissioner Steven Bayens, Director of the Iowa DCI Paul Feddersoen, Agent David Jobes, Agent Troy Nelson, and Agent Brain Sanger.

The plaintiffs are seeking damages for deprivation of their constitutional rights; humiliation, degradation, public ridicule, loss of personal reputation, and emotional distress; actual and compensatory damages including, but not limited to past, present, and future pain and suffering and medical expenses; punitive damages; all expenses associated with the prosecution of the instant action, including, but not limited to, court costs, anticipated discovery expenses, anticipated expert expenses, and the maximum legally allowable judgment interest; and any other expenses allowed by federal or state law, including but not limited to reasonable attorney’s fees and costs under 42 U.S.C. §1988.

The story from WHO:

26 Hawkeye, Cyclone athletes file federal lawsuit over DCI’s failed sports gambling investigation

by: Dan Hendrickson
Posted: Apr 26, 2024

IOWA — More than two dozen current and former Iowa Hawkeye and Iowa State Cyclone athletes have filed a federal lawsuit accusing the State of Iowa, the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation and law enforcement officials of violating their constitutional protections from illegal searches and seizures. The group of athletes is seeking unspecified damages for loss of competition time and the impact it has had on them personally and financially.

The athletes were investigated in 2023, with more than a dozen being charged with violating state laws on sports gambling after an investigation from the DCI. DCI agents relied on a technology owned by an outside company, GeoComply, that placed a ‘geofence‘ around athletic facilities at UI and ISU to find evidence of possible illegal gambling activity. The results of the geofence were used to spur the investigation, leading to charges.

However, the athletes and their attorney – Van Plumb – contest that the use of the geofence is tantamount to a warrantless search. The lawsuit contends that DCI agents had no information about illegal gambling at the schools until they used the geofence to identify it. GeoComply has ended its contract with the State of Iowa in response to these same concerns.

Ultimately, those athletes under the age of 21 were charged with gambling underage. However, prosecutors chose to pursue charges of Tampering With Records against some of the athletes who were old enough to gamble but were accused of using other people’s accounts to place their own bets. Prosecutors eventually dropped all of those charges as the state’s investigation methods were again called into question by Plumb.

The athletes are seeking unspecified damages, claiming the investigation and resulting charges, for some, caused loss of reputation, loss of opportunity and potentially loss of income. Eyioma Uwazurike, a former Iowa State Cyclone, remains suspended by the NFL after the investigation uncovered his gambling activity.

The full list of athletes in the lawsuit includes:

• Eyioma Uwazurike
  • Noah Shannon (FB)
  • Nelson Brands (WR)
  • Tony Cassioppi (WR)
  • Jirehl Brock
  • Hunter Dekkers
  • Isiah Lee
  • Arland Bruce IV (FB)
  • Dodge Sauser
  • Deshawn Hanika
  • Ahron Ulis (Basketball)
  • Aaron Blom (FB)
  • Jack Johnson (FB)
  • Jake Remsburg
  • Jeremiah Williams
  • Harry Bracy
  • Howard Brown
  • Keaton Anthony (BB)
  • Jacob Henderson (BB)
  • Gehrig Christensen (BB)
  • Benjamin Tallman (BB)
  • Abe Assad (WR)
  • Cobe Siebrecht (WR)
  • Cullan Shriever (WR)
  • Patrick Kennedy (WR)
  • Jake English
The list of defendants named in the lawsuit includes DPS Commissioner Stephan Bayens, DCI Director Paul Feddersen, DCI Assistant Director David Jobes, DCI Agent Troy Nelson and DCI Agent Brian Sanger as well as the State of Iowa, Iowa DPS and the DCI. DPS Commissioner Bayens has previously given his full support to the investigation and has questioned why prosecutors chose to drop charges.

Last edited:
I count 18 former & current Iowa student athletes that were named in the gambling scandal.

Some notes:

* On March 22, 2023 BB player Ahron Ulis announced that he was entering the transfer portal. He ended up at Nebraska

* FB players Reggie Bracy & Arland Bruce transferred in the offseason.

Of the Iowa student athletes (former & current) tied to gambling, here's the breakdown BY SPORT of who's been named publicly:

Wrestling:
Tony Cassioppi--suspended for season
Nelson Brands--suspended for season
Abe Assad--suspended for season
Cobe Siebrecht--suspended for season
Cullan Schriever
Patrick Kennedy

Baseball:
Keaton Anthony
Jacob Henderson
Ben Tallman
Gehrig Christensen

Football:
DL Noah Shannon--placed ONE bet on an Iowa sport; ONE YEAR SUSPENSION
Jermari Harris--suspended 2 games
Chris Reames--suspended 2 games

WR Jack Johnson--criminally charged
Kicker/Punter Aaron Blom--criminally charged

DB Reggie Bracy (now at Troy)--criminally charged
WR Arland Bruce (now at OK State)--criminally charged

Basketball:
Ahron Ulis (now at Nebraska)--criminally charged

Men's Track & Field:
no one yet named

Student Managers:
Evan Schuster, Iowa Men's Basketball--criminally charged (accused of betting on Iowa games over the last 2 seasons)

Coaches:
FB Grad assistant Owen O'Brien--criminally charged

He's not wrong. Any Republican believes in Fascism. After all it is defined as extremely authoritarian, intolerant or oppressive ideas or behaviors. Now that defines the Republican party to a T.
Why can't you keep this nonsense out of the football threads? If you're so incapable of controlling your word vomit, don't you think that's an issue? Seriously, people just want to talk sports and have fun - they don't want to read this hysterical garbage.

Why can't you keep this nonsense out of the football threads? If you're so incapable of controlling your word vomit, don't you think that's an issue? Seriously, people just want to talk sports and have fun - they don't want to read this hysterical garbage.
I agree. I can't stand by and watch these true fascist idiots spread their bullshit propaganda. But I will try and do better. Thanks.

So the State of Iowa breaks the law to charge the student athletes with breaking the law. Heads need to roll at the state level with their disregard for following the letter of the law by trampling all over these citizens constitutional rights.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT