ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern doesn't looks so daunting anymore

Not world beaters, but their D is still legit, and our Offense hasn't looked great. I think we may be favored, but still more of a toss up to me.

They would handle both NW and Neb, with a bit more of their first team healthy.

Ott done.
Daniels not right.
T Smith not right.
Meyers not right.
Duzey not back full.
Beathard taking some ibuprofen.
Canzeri cannot handle this for 6 more.
Surely missing some.

First team is getting banged up.

A few players on both sides of the ball need to rise up...next week hopefully.

Reactions: naturalmwa
True. No doubt he had a good bit of talent in the cupboard on his arrival, but his roster isn't dramatically different from Hoke's, and he's getting the very best out of those kids. Guy is just a natural coach -- knows which buttons to push to get guys to perform to their potential.

Ott done.
Daniels not right.
T Smith not right.
Meyers not right.
Duzey not back full.
Surely missing some.

They are still probably one of the healthiest teamsin the Big 10. I know Michigan and Ohio State have lost multiple guys for the year. On the Wisconsin-Nebraska telecast they showed Nebraska was down 5 starters on defense alone. I have always given kudos to the S&C staff for keeping the team healthy, this year is no exception.

Not world beaters, but their D is still legit, and our Offense hasn't looked great. I think we may be favored, but still more of a toss up to me.

Gave up 38 points and Rudock only threw for 179 yards. Should be able to run the ball, our secondary has been solid. The LB's better be ready! There ranking is based on Stanford...and that was the first game of the season. Will see....

Even with our injuries, this is a very winnable game. That said, we've lost over there to far inferior teams. I like the character of this year's Hawks, though -- they'll battle tooth and nail, and I like their chances. Man, would 7-0 heading into the bye week be sweet. . . . We'd probably be ranked between 10 and 15, with time to heal and get ready for the home stretch.

I like the match up with our run defense vs their run game. Although Fitz will have them ready and it's their Homecoming. Boy, I'd love for Iowa to spoil it.

Michigan made the blueprint. Iowa is pretty comparable to Michigan offensively. Michigan has better playmakers at WR, especially with Tevaun Smith out, but Iowa has a better playmaker at QB. Defensively, I'll be surprised if Iowa doesn't hold a fairly one-dimensional offense under 20.

It's still gonna be a challenge for a few reasons:
- Injuries mounting up (they're probably healthier...as far as I know)

- They do still have a pretty good defense and we can't expect to have a lightning-fast start like Michigan got. Northwestern was down multiple scores before their offense really even got a chance to settle in. If Iowa does that, I'll be almost as ecstatic as I will be shocked

- Fat Pat is still bitter and prides himself on being an uber annoying ultra motivator, and no I don't care if you people like him. Deal with it.

Reactions: rfgiowa

Ott done.
Daniels not right.
T Smith not right.
Meyers not right.
Duzey not back full.
Surely missing some.

Boettgers left at some point today either early or midway through and did not return.

I'm thinking it's Ryan Ward time....make that 4-star shine!.....................

I'm sure they will play like the 85 Bears next week.

Michigan was a trap game for them since they play us next week :p

Reactions: IAFootball#1
Will they even be ranked next week? Dropping out all the way from 13th?
I think that people are looking for every reason to make Michigan out to be a top 10 team in the nation (likely in hopes that it will set up a huge OSU/Michigan game= $$$).

With that said, I'm sure it'll be more of a big jump for UM, than a drop for NW. I bet they are still ranked, but that's just my wishful thinking

Gave up 38 points and Rudock only threw for 179 yards. Should be able to run the ball, our secondary has been solid. The LB's better be ready! There ranking is based on Stanford...and that was the first game of the season. Will see....
Their D gave up 24--not bad considering fatigue and all--as their Offense did what Offenses do against Mich.

If you think that you can base our game with NW on what happened in Ann Arbor you have another thing coming. Michigan has the #1 defense in all of football. They can make you look bad. This is Fitz and they remember the beat down we gave them last year. NW has some quality wins this year and we are one banged up squad. If somehow we win this game I will be in awe. It's been a great year so far but to think we can take any opponent lightly is a mistake. We do not have 2002 or 2009 talent but we have great chemistry and belief this season. The ball is actually bouncing our way for once.

If you think that you can base our game with NW on what happened in Ann Arbor you have another thing coming. Michigan has the #1 defense in all of football. They can make you look bad. This is Fitz and they remember the beat down we gave them last year. NW has some quality wins this year and we are one banged up squad. If somehow we win this game I will be in awe. It's been a great year so far but to think we can take any opponent lightly is a mistake. We do not have 2002 or 2009 talent but we have great chemistry and belief this season. The ball is actually bouncing our way for once.

Agree with all of that except that I won't be in awe if the Hawks win. Impressed, yes, but NW is a very beatable team. They struggle on offense and don't have a mobile QB for a change. Even without Ott, I like the way our D matches up with their O. Hesse's early playing time this season will serve him well, and I think he'll have a solid performance. I like our chances quite a bit. Granted, NW usually plays way over their heads against us, but this team has what it takes to come out of Evanston with a win, injuries and all.

Reactions: Bigfann1966
If we can' t improve our tackle play we won't be able to throw the ball and CJ may get killed. Let's hope we get healthy fast. (Who is our back up if Daniels or Crofton go down?) I would be surprised if we can run the ball consistantly without a passing threat. We may go to more 2 back and or multiple tight end sets to help with protection. I can hear the screams from going back to a predictable basic offense already.

Defensively we will need to pick up the pass rush. Drew made the coverage look better then it was.

I still think we have a chance, but it won't be easy.

We can beat NU. We need to clean up our red zone play. How many times have we had first and goal and came away with a FG or nothing at all? We did one of each against Illinois. Got to quit leaving points on the field.

We're going to be leaning on the defense big time next Saturday. Like first team to double figures wins type score.

Fat Pat has them in a fury whenever they play the Hawks. Dont count them out

What he said....

We're going to be leaning on the defense big time next Saturday. Like first team to double figures wins type score.
I don't have any info, but I would imagine Boone Myers will be ready to go this week. Ott is the guy we will really miss.

We can beat NU. We need to clean up our red zone play. How many times have we had first and goal and came away with a FG or nothing at all? We did one of each against Illinois. Got to quit leaving points on the field.

Actually very few except for the last two weeks. Before that Iowa had only one FG in red zone trips, one fumble and then the rest were touchdowns. But I agree they left too many points out there. If Iowa converts TDs in the redzone in the first half instead of failing on 4th and then getting a FG the game would have been over at half.

The best thing for Pat and the Wildcats after last Saturday is that Iowa is up next. He will have no trouble getting them ready to play with his vendetta against the Iowa program.

Reactions: And1Hawk
ADVERTISEMENT