ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern is becoming a pain in....

DanL53

HR Legend
Sep 12, 2013
First they nabbed a couple guys we were interested in last season. This year they got a commit from Rapolas Ivanthehardtospellhisnamekid. And now another guy we offered, Barret Benson has committed to Chris Collins and the Wildcats.

I suppose this should be no surprise as the son of Doug Collins is going to attract players, even to Northwestern. And, should Collins earn Northwestern that first ever NCAA invite he might just cash in for greener pastures.

But in the meantime, for the sake of humanity Big Ten, stop these guys from getting that invite! Nothing good can come of it.

Collins is building something there. I just hope they have a couple good enough seasons so that he moves on to somewhere else.

Fran is making headway in Illinois.
Northwestern is allowed to live. So the Wildcats might eventually pass Illinois as the best team in the conference in their state. That's okay. Now, if the Cats & Illini were both locking up in state talent, then one could worry.
Hayden beat Northwestern like a drum. At least 15 straight times I believe. It's funny how, after a while, you can begin to think its your God given right to beat a school. I bet if you take Hayden's last few years and add Ferentz's record, Iowa football is around .500 vs Northwestern
Barnett bailed for Colorado. Walker did okay, but where the Purple struck gold was when they nabbed a capable alum, Pat Fitzgerald. He's not really a threat to go anywhere, and they are going to be competitive as long as he's there.
Collins will do a Barnett. He'll get them to win enough that they might actually invest in improving the arena. But he will be gone, and they will return to their usual self. I don't see a capable hoop alum on the horizon who will stay forever and make Wildcat hoops a perennial competitive concern.
Over time, schools tend to fare as well as their attendance. Iowa was in the top 20 for the 20th plus time this season, & 7th in a conference that led the nation for the 39th straight time. The BIG has always been a brutal basketball conference. Iowa's tradition pegs them in the bottom middle. Definitely the best program to never have won a national title. It can be disconcerting when the perennial worst is making progress, but it's not Iowa who they'll leap frog. Fran's got it going. And this uptick in Evanston will not be permanent. Worst case, they make the tourney 1 year, & Iowa is in the NIT. More than likely, they'll join Iowa in the tourney.

Reactions: CO_hawk
Collins will do a Barnett. He'll get them to win enough that they might actually invest in improving the arena. But he will be gone, and they will return to their usual self.
I read Collins differently. I think his goal is to replicate what his mentor Coach K did at Duke, but under the even more challenging circumstances at NU. A greater accomplishment than jumping ship to an existing power would be to build NU into a national power. That way he builds his own legacy, in his hometown to boot. I could be wrong, but that's the way I read the guy.

The issue continues to be that we cannot close on a pg or a big. We haven't had a true one of either since Mike and Woody's class and Mike wasn't really pg coming out, Sapp was.

Duke had a great tradition before coach K came (2 NCAA Finals, early 60's, late 70's) but had fallen on tough times after Bill Foster's departure (the same Bill Foster who later coached Northwestern).
Worst case, if Collins gets NU going, he'd be the best protege to take over when Coach K leaves (barring Wojo @ Marquette going great).
Might have a point though. If Barnett hadn't bolted for Colorado & had stayed @ NU, he'd be in same breath & conversation as Bill Snyder.

The issue continues to be that we cannot close on a pg or a big. We haven't had a true one of either since Mike and Woody's class and Mike wasn't really pg coming out, Sapp was.

I think you explained the issue within your own post.

Considering it sounds like there was never much traction there to begin with, I have no idea how this counts against the "being able to close" abilities of Fran. Ulis, Morrow? Sure. This? Not even close.

And for the record, while he seems like a really good player and is a great get for Collins, I honestly don't think Benson fits stylistically at Iowa. From everything I've seen and read he is a true back to the basket type player and not much of an inside out guy. Outside of Woody, for reasons which should be obvious considering state of the program and timing, Fran hasn't really pushed hard for that type of big. He seems to continually go after more dynamic, versatile type bigs.

What? Gesell has been playing PG since he was 10 years old. He played PG all 4 years at South Sioux City. Aside from that brief period as a true frosh when Fran experimented with Marble at PG, Mike has run the PG his entire career at Iowa.

Duke had a great tradition before coach K came (2 NCAA Finals, early 60's, late 70's) but had fallen on tough times after Bill Foster's departure (the same Bill Foster who later coached Northwestern).
Worst case, if Collins gets NU going, he'd be the best protege to take over when Coach K leaves (barring Wojo @ Marquette going great).
Might have a point though. If Barnett hadn't bolted for Colorado & had stayed @ NU, he'd be in same breath & conversation as Bill Snyder.
The "hard times" after Bill Foster were coach K's first three years. He even went to the NIT his first year which is the equivalent of a 10-12 seed in the NCAA today. I don't think Collins has that to build on.

It's probably just me but I've always considered Northwestern and DePaul sleeping giants because they are ground zero for one of the most fertile breeding grounds of homegrown high school talent anywhere.

If Northwestern finally takes the step to upgrade their facilities, IMO all it will take is the right coach and a small spark of success to light the campfire and make NW a perennial powerhouse. There is no reason to believe that it can't happen at NW because they are a small private school - just look a short distance across the border to Notre Dame to get an idea of what the basketball program could become.

What? Gesell has been playing PG since he was 10 years old. He played PG all 4 years at South Sioux City. Aside from that brief period as a true frosh when Fran experimented with Marble at PG, Mike has run the PG his entire career at Iowa.

Yeah I don't get the MG wasn't a PG statement. Pretty obvious that was going to be his position in college. Sure he may have played a lot of 2 guard on his AAU team but that is bc Marcus was on the same team.

Mike has been an outstanding PG IMO and the team will miss him when he is not running things. This last year I thought he did a terrific job of knowing when to push the ball and when to hold things up and run the motion or a set.

I think MG will have a huge senior season.

It's probably just me but I've always considered Northwestern and DePaul sleeping giants because they are ground zero for one of the most fertile breeding grounds of homegrown high school talent anywhere.

If Northwestern finally takes the step to upgrade their facilities, IMO all it will take is the right coach and a small spark of success to light the campfire and make NW a perennial powerhouse. There is no reason to believe that it can't happen at NW because they are a small private school - just look a short distance across the border to Notre Dame to get an idea of what the basketball program could become.
I see what you're saying, but I always thought NW had an inherent impediment to becoming a national presence in sports because of their academic standards. It's hard enough for an athlete (with their sports obligations) to make grades at any D1 school, let alone Northwestern. If Collins can make it happen there, it will be more impressive than coach K at Duke, for the academic standards alone. But signing guys doesn't mean they'll be able to be handle the classroom and be excellent BB players. We'll see.

It will be interesting to see if Collins stays. I agree that he is taking them somewhere. If I was Groce, I'd be concerned about becoming little sister in ChicagoLand and the state.

Duke, UNC will be opening up in the next few years. Maybe Louisville. Calipari and Self will get themselves in trouble ($$$) at some point soon.

That's my concern. Stanford has done pretty well. If Northwestern spends the money they could be a problem. Time for the Big Ten to shut them down before they get started.

Self is not going anywhere. Might already be the greatest coach of all time at kansas. And caliparis strengths are best suited for kentucky not the nba. Pitino and coach k will be interesting to see when they step down. Also roy williams but my guess is they can choose when they want to step down since they are hall of fame coaches.
It will be interesting to see if Collins stays. I agree that he is taking them somewhere. If I was Groce, I'd be concerned about becoming little sister in ChicagoLand and the state.

Duke, UNC will be opening up in the next few years. Maybe Louisville. Calipari and Self will get themselves in trouble ($$$) at some point soon.

I see what you're saying, but I always thought NW had an inherent impediment to becoming a national presence in sports because of their academic standards.

Notre Dame's admission standards are very high also. Same for Stanford. Even schools like Georgetown and Gonzaga have relatively high academic standards. I don't believe academic standards are the main problem.

Notre Dame's admission standards are very high also. Same for Stanford. Even schools like Georgetown and Gonzaga have relatively high academic standards. I don't believe academic standards are the main problem.
The conventional wisdom is that Stanford is the only major conference school that imposes higher academic requirements for athletes than Northwestern. Duke is ranked higher than NU as a school, but reportedly cuts its coaches much more slack on academic exceptions. Notre Dame's academic standards for athletes are better than most, but nowhere near those of Stanford or NU. With that said, NU's primary obstacles in hoops are lack of tradition and lack of facilities.

Private schools with high academic standards that want to be national powers in hoops have to relax their academic entry requirements & create majors that abet graduation. (Patrick Ewing & every All American after him @ Georgetown, where a 32 ACT score for a regular applicant is a prerequisite).
Everybody does it. See North Carolina.

But the real order of business is, they have to go national in recruiting, which eliminates NU's Chicago geography. Duke plucked Collins & John Scheyer from the Chicago suburbs. Name any other Chicago hoopster in that talent range that Illinois has produced that would have survived NU's academic rigor (besides Kaminsky) in the last 15 years.

The class that saved Coach K's ass was his 3rd. Dawkins from Washington, DC,, Alarie from Phoenix, AZ, Bilas from Palos Verde, CA and Henderson from Warrenton,NC. No class has won more games, or ever will.

Collins knows the recipe, and it's not going through inner city Chicago.

A good idea would be to try international players. St Mary's has made a living in Australia, getting Pstty Mills & NBA Finals favorite Matthew Dellavedova. Internationals usually have no problems academically, & are so happy to be in the U,S., they are not affected by a lack of winning tradition.
Welsh Ryan is no Cameron. And never will be. All you have to do is go to a Big Ten Tournament in the United Center to see what NU is up against. It has a student body of 10,000 compared to state schools of 50,000. The fan base is dwarfed by everybody else, and the tourney is even in their home town. Lots of Big Ten fans don't have degrees from the schools they follow. It's just that the school represents their state. But, If you aren't an NU grad, you have no interest in the Wildcats. And casual
Sports fans will take hold of the Bulls or BlackHawks, Bears, Cubs & Sox.

In 23 days revenue sport scholarship athletes begin getting cost of attendance stipends. The landscape of college sports is entering a brave new world. The NU AD already is on record, saying if things proceed much further beyond the student athlete as amateur model, Northwestern will go another route.
For several reasons NU will never be a long term viable threat to Iowa basketball. Yes, they are on the upswing. But, that's not saying much. Look from whence they came. Northwestern will never be what Duke is. Collins is not a grad. He knows it's a business. His dad has bounced around. NU's hoop rise will come at others expense. They'll enjoy a blip on the radar screen. It's not long term. If Collins stabilizes them, they won't be able to keep him. Deep pocket suitors will whisk him away.

Private schools with high academic standards that want to be national powers in hoops have to relax their academic entry requirements & create majors that abet graduation. (Patrick Ewing & every All American after him @ Georgetown, where a 32 ACT score for a regular applicant is a prerequisite).
Everybody does it. See North Carolina.

But the real order of business is, they have to go national in recruiting, which eliminates NU's Chicago geography. Duke plucked Collins & John Scheyer from the Chicago suburbs. Name any other Chicago hoopster in that talent range that Illinois has produced that would have survived NU's academic rigor (besides Kaminsky) in the last 15 years.

The class that saved Coach K's ass was his 3rd. Dawkins from Washington, DC,, Alarie from Phoenix, AZ, Bilas from Palos Verde, CA and Henderson from Warrenton,NC. No class has won more games, or ever will.

Collins knows the recipe, and it's not going through inner city Chicago.

A good idea would be to try international players. St Mary's has made a living in Australia, getting Pstty Mills & NBA Finals favorite Matthew Dellavedova. Internationals usually have no problems academically, & are so happy to be in the U,S., they are not affected by a lack of winning tradition.
Welsh Ryan is no Cameron. And never will be. All you have to do is go to a Big Ten Tournament in the United Center to see what NU is up against. It has a student body of 10,000 compared to state schools of 50,000. The fan base is dwarfed by everybody else, and the tourney is even in their home town. Lots of Big Ten fans don't have degrees from the schools they follow. It's just that the school represents their state. But, If you aren't an NU grad, you have no interest in the Wildcats. And casual
Sports fans will take hold of the Bulls or BlackHawks, Bears, Cubs & Sox.

In 23 days revenue sport scholarship athletes begin getting cost of attendance stipends. The landscape of college sports is entering a brave new world. The NU AD already is on record, saying if things proceed much further beyond the student athlete as amateur model, Northwestern will go another route.
For several reasons NU will never be a long term viable threat to Iowa basketball. Yes, they are on the upswing. But, that's not saying much. Look from whence they came. Northwestern will never be what Duke is. Collins is not a grad. He knows it's a business. His dad has bounced around. NU's hoop rise will come at others expense. They'll enjoy a blip on the radar screen. It's not long term. If Collins stabilizes them, they won't be able to keep him. Deep pocket suitors will whisk him away.

Well done sir!

The "hard times" after Bill Foster were coach K's first three years. He even went to the NIT his first year which is the equivalent of a 10-12 seed in the NCAA today. I don't think Collins has that to build on.

Duke's all time winning basketball percentage is 71%.
2,033 - 834 All time through 2014/15

It was 66% before Coach K took over
1,084 - 568

Northwestern's all time winning basketball percentage, including Chris Collins' 2 years, is 40% (977-1442)
Collin's 2 year record of 29-35, .453, is slightly above the school's winning percentage before he arrived.

Evanston will not be Collins' final destination. It was a good choice for him. Carmody had the Cats on the precipice of the NCAA. Five overall winning seasons in 13 years was a yeoman's effort and should not be discounted. Any act without a super spike, glory year over 13 seasons tends to wear thin. Ask Dr. Tom, whose fate might have been different if 30-5 had been somewhere in the middle, instead of out of the gate.

Conventional wisdom is Collins has the Cats on the move. However, he inherited a much stronger program than the one O'Neil left Carmody, 0-16 in Big Ten. In the public perception, Northwestern had nowhere to go, but up when Collins arrived. If he's the first coach to get them in the tourney, and does it more than once, and more impressively, gets NU it's first conference winning record since '67/'68, he'll have his choice of jobs.

However, there is little penalty for just keeping NU afloat, and occasionally knocking on the door. Carmody got 13 seasons. Modern pressures being what they are, Collins gets a half life of that, at least.

I think it is safe to say that Collins will not be taking the UNC job

I also think that it's no mistake that the majority of coach K's disciples are at private schools where they can run the show their way with minimal accountability to the state institution. Amaker, Wojo, Collins, Bray, Dawkins, etc. all found their way to the private collegiate path post Duke. It's also becoming more and more a reality that if you go to a private university, you also went to a private HS. The domination of private HS's as athletic factories is becoming mainstream in all sports today.

Ill be interested to see the day when coach k steps down, who replaces him. I guess jon scheyer is an ovoius choice knowing he's an assistant or one of his disciples. I would guess mike brey in terms of wins an tournament appearances probably is the most successful an would make the most sense.

Amaker did not fare well @ Michigan.
Snyder blew up @ Missouri.
David Henderson lasted only 3 years @ Delaware.

1BigGaloot hit some nails on the head about recruiting in Chicago. Generally coaches want to stay away from the inner city public school kids unless the kid is an exception. However, the suburban public schools are the polar opposite, and are quite good academically. Tons of good players are in the suburbs, which have more schools and great conferences. Iowa should be able to do well in the suburbs of Chicago, because that area is probably THE prime academic recruiting area for the University of Iowa. As far as Collins, I think he's going to get it done at Northwestern, if the uber-conservative school is willing to put some bucks into new facilities. And top private schools like Northwestern do lower their academic standards to get the 1-2% of the student body they need to fill out their athletic rosters. They all do it. A kid (a real student) needs an ACT of at least 32 or above to get into Notre Dame or Northwesterm, but if you are an All-American jock, a 20 will get you in. Maybe even less in some cases. Even Stanford and Harvard, where you need an ACT of 34 or higher to get the admissions dept. attention, athletes can get in with a 25 or 26 ACT. Sports announcer James Brown likes to tell the story of how he got into Harvard with an ACT below 20 because they recognized his special talents, and his deprived background.

1BigGaloot hit some nails on the head about recruiting in Chicago. Generally coaches want to stay away from the inner city public school kids unless the kid is an exception. However, the suburban public schools are the polar opposite, and are quite good academically. Tons of good players are in the suburbs, which have more schools and great conferences. Iowa should be able to do well in the suburbs of Chicago, because that area is probably THE prime academic recruiting area for the University of Iowa. As far as Collins, I think he's going to get it done at Northwestern, if the uber-conservative school is willing to put some bucks into new facilities. And top private schools like Northwestern do lower their academic standards to get the 1-2% of the student body they need to fill out their athletic rosters. They all do it. A kid (a real student) needs an ACT of at least 32 or above to get into Notre Dame or Northwesterm, but if you are an All-American jock, a 20 will get you in. Maybe even less in some cases. Even Stanford and Harvard, where you need an ACT of 34 or higher to get the admissions dept. attention, athletes can get in with a 25 or 26 ACT. Sports announcer James Brown likes to tell the story of how he got into Harvard with an ACT below 20 because they recognized his special talents, and his deprived background.
I agree with 1BigGaloot on some issues, but not others. He says that Collins' recruiting strategy needs to be nationwide and international, as if that were something new. In reality, Carmody recruited a ton of international players (more than most college coaches at the time), and also was fairly national in his recruiting. If anything, the first stage of Collins' successful recruiting strategy has been to go the opposite direction and lock down the top suburban Chicago kids. There has been some speculation that he realizes he first needs to get the top local three- and four-star kids to stay home in order to build a solid foundation for the program. Until he does that, and gets the team to the tournament, he'll never get the five-star national-type players who will be the real program changers. I think Collins is a confident and motivated guy who believes he can turn NU into the next Duke. I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that he would leave for another job. And while NU is not his alma mater, Chicago is his hometown.

And to be clear on academics: Of course ALL schools apply a lower admission standard to athletes, including the Stanfords and Northwesterns of the world. But some schools relax their standards more than others. Stanford and Northwestern are notorious for cutting athletes much less slack than schools such as Notre Dame or Duke. A relatively famous story circulated when NU tried to hire Tommy Amaker before it hired Carmody. Amaker was close to taking the job when he pulled out three high school transcripts with the names redacted, pushed them across the table, and asked NU administrators whether he would be able to get those student athletes into NU. The answer was "no." Two of the transcripts were those of Christian Laettner and Bobby Hurley. Amaker turned down the job. Lack of tradition, tough academics, and crappy facilities are the biggest challenges at NU. Collins can overcome the first one on his own with a tourney appearance, but he probably would need help from the administration on the latter two for the program to reach the elite level.

Last edited:
Reactions: nu2u
Great catch, Cutty, UNC will not be a final destination for any Dukie. But the new UNC hire will send the dominoes falling as they won't hire a no-name coach to fill that.

Brey is interesting for Duke. Will he be too old when K retires? He has something good going right now, no doubt about that. He would be a different mentality. Much less intense than Coach K. More Hoibergish.

There will be a TON of applicants for the Duke job unless K basically names somebody on his way out the door. If he wants somebody to be the next coach, they will be the next coach.

Didn't Northwestern just invest some bucks in renovating Welsh-Ryan? And essentially, it is still a glorified high school arena. Unless Collins can get a commitment from Northwestern to blow it up and build a new arena, I suspect once he has established himself, he will be bolting for greener pastures. Doesn't mean he can't make a little noise while he's there. The bar is set pretty low.

Ill be interested to see the day when coach k steps down, who replaces him. I guess jon scheyer is an ovoius choice knowing he's an assistant or one of his disciples. I would guess mike brey in terms of wins an tournament appearances probably is the most successful an would make the most sense.

I think Duke(Coach K) wants someone with coaching experience. That is why Collins and Wojo left when they did. If either one can prove they can win at a private school, I think it is their job. Dawkins/Amaker are not having a ton of success. If Hurley keeps it going, he could be a sleeper.

That's my concern. Stanford has done pretty well. If Northwestern spends the money they could be a problem. Time for the Big Ten to shut them down before they get started.

How does the Big Ten do that?

Gladeskat, I am assuming the poster was not referring to the Big Ten as the conference body but rather teams need to beat the 'Cats to not allow for some meteoric rise!

I do think there are some flawed arguments in all of this. For example, you cannot compare ND to Northwestern from a rooting perspective and historical perspective. There is a natural affinity in the Chicago area to cheer for ND as there are millions of people who profess the Catholic faith and go to Catholic schools. Plus ND has had this type of following for a century.

Northwestern has a very diverse student base with most having no previous lineage to Northwestern athletics. The university has not historically made athletics a priority. Stanford has always had a major presence in baseball, football, etc. Stanford also has access to better resources athletically and resides in a state nearly 3x the size of Illinois.

Back to the original premise, yes, Northwestern basketball can get better and it's realistic to think that Chris Collins might get them to their first NCAA bid in the next 2-3 seasons. But, to think they are now going to be Duke is a huge stretch and flies in the face of history.

Although we offered Benson, I'm not sure he was one of our top targets. Sometimes you put your lure in the water to see what bites.

Unless we get a visit, it really isn't a legit possibility.

Gladeskat, I am assuming the poster was not referring to the Big Ten as the conference body but rather teams need to beat the 'Cats to not allow for some meteoric rise!

I do think there are some flawed arguments in all of this. For example, you cannot compare ND to Northwestern from a rooting perspective and historical perspective. There is a natural affinity in the Chicago area to cheer for ND as there are millions of people who profess the Catholic faith and go to Catholic schools. Plus ND has had this type of following for a century.

Northwestern has a very diverse student base with most having no previous lineage to Northwestern athletics. The university has not historically made athletics a priority. Stanford has always had a major presence in baseball, football, etc. Stanford also has access to better resources athletically and resides in a state nearly 3x the size of Illinois.

Back to the original premise, yes, Northwestern basketball can get better and it's realistic to think that Chris Collins might get them to their first NCAA bid in the next 2-3 seasons. But, to think they are now going to be Duke is a huge stretch and flies in the face of history.

Pretty close. I don't want to see Northwestern become competitive for NCAA invites as they look like they could be this season. Iowa has plenty of tough competition in the Big Ten the way it is, a few games penciled in as victories every year would be nice.

As to the part in bold, correct that's how I feel. Not sure what the poster you replied to was thinking could be the alternative.

Collins has done a great job at Northwestern. Perhaps the best thing would be for him to move one before someone higher up decides to seeks money to actually buy concrete and steel and make a place to play.

I agree with 1BigGaloot on some issues, but not others. He says that Collins' recruiting strategy needs to be nationwide and international, as if that were something new. In reality, Carmody recruited a ton of international players (more than most college coaches at the time), and also was fairly national in his recruiting. If anything, the first stage of Collins' successful recruiting strategy has been to go the opposite direction and lock down the top suburban Chicago kids.

Thanks for the compliment HawkCat, but to clarify, a review of the thread would indicate my post was a reaction to a previous one concerned with Northwestern's proximity to so much talent. My point was a significant part of that was off limits from an admission standpoint anyway (Moss, an immediate case in point). I never claimed that nationwide and international recruiting for private schools competing in basketball was new, just that it was necessary.

We all should remember that Collin's first recruit was a local kid whose parents were pissed when Carmody didn't recruit him, even though he wanted to go there. The kid committed somewhere else by default, but with the coaching change, Collins was able to get him back. It was a big deal in the Tribune, and had all of Chicago talking as an example of the benefit of the change in regimes.

I'm not faulting Carmody, whom as I mentioned in a later post in this thread, actually did a great job at NU. He is the Wildcats version of Tom Davis. He got the fan base and school repetitively on the verge of a level that he just couldn't crack, and after 13 years, marketing considerations, if nothing else, required a change. BUT, Chasson Randle is an example that makes all of our points. Stanford's All Time Leading scorer was a 4.0 high school student out of Rock Island, Illinois. Johnny Dawkins, ironically, saw Randle play in the Quad Cities on a December, Saturday night just hours after playing Northwestern in Evantston in a 1 pm game. Carmody never made the 2 1/2 hour trek West to watch Randle, whom I'm sure his parents would have encouraged him to play at NU so they could have a chance to see him play. If Randle had been a Wildcat, Carmody surely isn't winless in his last conference season.

Randle wasn't a Chicago area talent, but was an instate one. What was national recruitment for Stanford, would have been local for NU. Yes, Mike Montgomery took Stanford to a level Tom Davis never did (several conference titles and a Final 4), but pre Davis arrival in 1982, Stanford's only basketball tradition was being where Hank Luisetti invented the jump shot.

You and I are right. Collins has gone after local suburban talent that Carmody rarely or ever did (You). He also has an advantage over his predecessor in this regard, since he was one of these prep players, himself. However, there isn't enough for this to be his exclusive talent base, and national and international players will stock his roster.

Rarely is reinventing the wheel the reason for success. Usually, it's just being better at working the wheel. If the wheel is recruiting, Collins' task is to get better players, whether they are from the Chicago suburbs, across the country, internationally, or outer space. Conventional wisdom is, he's doing that. DanL started this thread because they supposedly got a guy, Iowa had expressed interest in. When is the last time that happened?

So, here we are. : )

I was comparing NW to Notre Dame in terms of academic standards at private colleges and the supposed competitive disadvantage that causes.

I understand there is gap between ND and NW from a "rooting perspective" and in terms of historical success - that was part of my main point - with the right coach and a major upgrade in facilities, I submit that NW could build a powerful program (like Notre Dame) because NW is located in middle of Chicago metro, an area which annually produces top level basketball prospects.

"DanL started this thread because they supposedly got a guy, Iowa had expressed interest in.", Too often lately Galloot. :) Guys we offered early, which always holds meaning to me if McCaffery wants them.

Chris Collins has no short-term, or long-term, plans to leave Northwestern. He loves the Chicago area and the powers at NW have finally figured out that a financial investment in athletics can actually benefit the entire university. Basketball recruits not only meet current players and coaches, they are introduced to the AD and President of the university during their official visits. With an endowment of about $8 billion to use to benefit the university, the financial resources are there to provide CC with whatever he needs in terms of facilities.

The reason prospective athletes at Northwestern now meet the A.D. and university President is in hopes a warm and fuzzy welcome will inoculate them from unionizing, as if, if Kain Colter and other football players had occasioned the same welcome, it would have over ridden their desire to remedy the issues they hoped to address with their thoughtful stance.

Three weeks from today, the long overdue slippery slope of paying student athletes in revenue generating sports begins with the "Cost of Attendance Stipend." Student athletes across the country owe the same debt to Colter and his mates as modern day MLB players owe Curt Flood.

Per the below story this spring quoting Northwestern President Emeritus Henry Beinen, given recent trends, there is a far better chance Northwestern will deescalate athletics, as opposed to investing in them.
http://www.athleticbusiness.com/college/athlete-as-employees-model-would-change-nd-approach.html

University and athletic department administration are not going to invest in a new basketball arena until it is assured the fast approaching outmoded student athlete as amateur model is upheld. Despite Notre Dame A.D. Jack Swarbrick's threat, college sports will find a way to exist without the Irish.

Northwestern will face its University of Chicago 1946 moment in the next five years. All In, or All Out.

The 8 billion endowment didn't just appear. It's been available for athletics for a long time. It hasn't been overly accessed over the years, and there is no reason to believe athletics is going to receive more than it has in the past while the administration is reading athlete as employee tea leaves.

Money has never been an issue at Northwestern. Will is.

Northwestern basketball and Chris Collins have more to over come than a lack of tradition, lame facilities, and high academic standards. The administration's stance toward the future of D1 collegiate athletics is a bigger, more viable, and more immediate threat.

Northwestern is Chris Collins' training wheels job. Anybody who can't see that is blinded by Purple and White.

Actually, some good points were made by Big Gallott--disagree with the last sentence tho, Anyone who has the insight to raise the other points should know CC well enough to know that NW is not a "training wheels job" for him--and no, I am not blinded by Purple and White,

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT