ADVERTISEMENT

Not Fans Fault

BK Hawk1

Rookie
Dec 13, 2014
I think Iowa has one of the best fan bases in the country. The 2 biggest problems in ticket sales are schedule and TV. I love college football and have had season tickets in the past, but with the Big Ten Network and all the other channels I can watch Iowa, plus all the other Big Ten games on TV. There home schedule is brutal. There isn't one home game that excites me, maybe Minny. The Western Division is so weak, they need to schedule up in the non conference.

I agree that schedule is a huge factor and one of the top 2 reasons. But, I think the product on the field is the second. While the defensive system that Iowa employs can sometimes be frustrating with the bend don't break style, the offense has been downright brutal to watch. There seems to be no gas pedal, just brakes.

Reactions: sloehawk
I agree that schedule is a huge factor and one of the top 2 reasons. But, I think the product on the field is the second. While the defensive system that Iowa employs can sometimes be frustrating with the bend don't break style, the offense has been downright brutal to watch. There seems to be no gas pedal, just brakes.
I can agree with that !!

#1 by far has been the on the field product. We are something close to .500 at home the last 4-5 years. We look weak and take no chances or play inspired football at times. I think that is about to change with the message being sent to Barta. He can talk about all this other ancillary stuff including the schedule but bottom line he knows it's just win baby.

Iowa games have been on TV for years. Did folks forget ESPN+ which was there prior to BTN. TV is nothing new.

Reactions: sloehawk
I think Iowa has one of the best fan bases in the country. The 2 biggest problems in ticket sales are schedule and TV. I love college football and have had season tickets in the past, but with the Big Ten Network and all the other channels I can watch Iowa, plus all the other Big Ten games on TV. There home schedule is brutal. There isn't one home game that excites me, maybe Minny. The Western Division is so weak, they need to schedule up in the non conference.
We had one of the best home schedules you could ask for last year and still lost 10k season tickets. Ferentz and the tailgate nazi's ran people off. It has nothing to do with tv or national trends.

Were not D1 fans. It's time for us to look in the mirror and take ownership. We suck as fans, it's that simple. If Iowa has a great football team do you sit around and brag about how good WE are. Well when times are tough it's time to cowboy up and accept the fact that as fans we pretty much bite. Stay angry everybody.

Were not D1 fans. It's time for us to look in the mirror and take ownership. We suck as fans, it's that simple. If Iowa has a great football team do you sit around and brag about how good WE are. Well when times are tough it's time to cowboy up and accept the fact that as fans we pretty much bite. Stay angry everybody.

I for one have no problem with down years, I have a problem with a coach that does nothing to change his system to fit the talent he does have. Who plays players that should have never been in a Div-1 football program. A QB that struggles to throw the ball over 10 yards and gets 2 years before he pulls the plug. KF is paid to win football games, you can rant about graduation rates, clean program, yada yada yada. Bottom line is what have you done for me lately....very little! Losing records against one of the worst teams in college football (ISU), that alone should have gotten him fired. I guess after all that my point is...times are rough because of coaching, not the players!

Our fans are starving for something to get excited about. Ferentz takes the fun out of Iowa football. Go up by 10 points and he's ready to run out the clock, even in the first half !?!

Look at how much talk there was about Damond Powell, J. Parker or even Akrum Wadley last year. They flash a little glimpse of speed or athletiscm and Hawk fans are delirious.

You put something entertaining on the field and Kinnick will be full.

"#1 by far has been the on the field product. We are something close to .500 at home the last 4-5 years. We look weak and take no chances or play inspired football at times. I think that is about to change with the message being sent to Barta. He can talk about all this other ancillary stuff including the schedule but bottom line he knows it's just win baby."

BINGO! "Who" is on the schedule doesn't give credit to one sense of rational for not selling season tickets. In fact in Iowa's case a weak schedule would benefit ticket sales. As was stated above, fans come to watch a team win. A weaker schedule gives a team like Iowa a better chance of winning thus... Their are two themes on this board from time to time that defy reason. One being Iowa struggles with recruiting because of location and ticket sales are down because of a weak schedule. Both can be solved quite simply...win baby win.

"#1 by far has been the on the field product. We are something close to .500 at home the last 4-5 years. We look weak and take no chances or play inspired football at times. I think that is about to change with the message being sent to Barta. He can talk about all this other ancillary stuff including the schedule but bottom line he knows it's just win baby."

BINGO! "Who" is on the schedule doesn't give credit to one sense of rational for not selling season tickets. In fact in Iowa's case a weak schedule would benefit ticket sales. As was stated above, fans come to watch a team win. A weaker schedule gives a team like Iowa a better chance of winning thus... Their are two themes on this board from time to time that defy reason. One being Iowa struggles with recruiting because of location and ticket sales are down because of a weak schedule. Both can be solved quite simply...win baby win.

Fans show up for important games. A good SOS is huge for attendance. Nobody gives a rat's behind about Illinois St, Ball St, etc.

The other TV factor is the increased dead time with all the waiting for TV breaks, it just takes away all the fun and excitement and it drags out way too long

We had tickets for some years and this was the biggest issue for me. There were so many stoppages in the game, it took forever for a game to get over. I mean every change of possession there was a Time out or something under review.

I also just think the atmosphere around Kinnick isn't the same and maybe that's because I am getting older. I just can't stand the traffic and the cops coming around at least 2-3 times during a 4 hour tailgate checking in on us. We are all middle age people and they still come and check us?

And finally the whole per seat donation is kind of screwy and I don't like it. We donate the minimum of 100 dollars a seat and it still annoys me. We got tickets this year mainly because my brother in law wanted them. He moved back to the midwest and wants to attend some games. I told him its not what it used to be, but he doesn't care.

ADVERTISEMENT