ADVERTISEMENT

Officials set to advertise University of Iowa president position soon

gryzz14

Rookie
Sep 24, 2004
http://www.kcrg.com/subject/news/of...sity-of-iowa-president-position-soon-20150508

This is most likely the hiring that will have the biggest effect on the future of Iowa football. Faculty have called for a candidate with an educational research background rather than a corporate one; students at town halls have requested candidates that will address campus sexual assaults and diversity.

As for football, new presidents may bring in new ADs. After the reign of Mary Sue Coleman at U of Michigan, the new president at Michigan selected an AD that got Jim Harbaugh after the resignation of Dave Brandon. Brandon resigned after it was revealed that a Michigan QB played in a game with a known concussion and issues with ticket policies.

Iowa AD Gary Barta is currently dealing with a field hockey Title IX lawsuit and is most likely joined at the hip with the mediocre showing of the Iowa football program due to his large extension of Ferentz's contract. Hopefully, the later is alleviated with a better season than last; however, the president will probably stay in office past the end of Ferentz's contract and will likely have some large impact on the future of Hawkeye football.

The Board of Regents and U of I websites are taking nominations for a new president. I am nominating Hawkeye2222. /s

Would be great to get a President who realizes athletic teams are a great way to advertise your University.

A hands off the Athletics Department approach by the new president would be acceptable.

Getting a I hate athletics president would be horrible.

I'm not sure if the original poster meant educational research or education/research experience when talking about hiring a new president. Regardless, either would seem preferable to a corporate background. UI is an educational entity that does much research, and I want it to be as successful in this as possible. It also has an athletic program that I LOVE. But, I feel UI should maintain matters of academics the priority. This doesn't mean a president with a corporate background could not be successful in this regard, but he/she would be coming from a different environment and possibly have different motives. Ideally, Iowa would have world class academics and athletics. I just feel academics, and leaders with this concern and acumen, should be the priority. Just an opinion.

Reactions: Endoman
No way Skorton leaves an Ivy League school for Iowa...even if the money is there, it's a step back from where he is now.

ADVERTISEMENT