ADVERTISEMENT

OL recruiting

coe76

All-Conference
Aug 21, 2002
Just wondering where we stand with two OL recruits. Matt Farniok and Jake Heinrich have drawn some attention on here. We just offered Farniok's younger brother and Heinrich appears to be a priority for the Cyclones. Both appear to be highly rated by Rivals. Not sure how many more OL guys we will accept but either/both would be nice. One concern is Rivals does not show an official offer for Heinrich. Wonder if the staff has gotten assurances from him about a commit and they can wait for the class to fill up more. Thanks for the insight folks.

Iowa and Nebby are Farniok's top two. Stanford is right up there as well. I'm sure both Iowa and Nebby fans will claim their respective school has the lead.

Heinrich wanted an offer before he attended a camp with Iowa. Iowa staff wanted to evaluate his performance at their camp before offering.

That raises a couple questions then with Heinrich. Did he go to the camp after all? Has the relationship deteriorated to the point the Hawks should not pursue anymore? If he has an attitude is it worth pursuing?

I don't believe JH has been to any recent camps at IC. The weekend Iowa brought in some Iowa based kids (Williams,Schulte,Hockenson, and Banwart sp received offers based on their performances at this camp), Heinrich went to a camp in Arkansas (they had previously offered).

I don't believe JH has been to any recent camps at IC. The weekend Iowa brought in some Iowa based kids (Williams,Schulte,Hockenson, and Banwart sp received offers based on their performances at this camp), Heinrich went to a camp in Arkansas (they had previously offered).
Sounds like the odds are not good with him. After not offering Foster and apparently not Heinrich either I hope the other OL recruits like Farniok can be reeled in. I really like how aggressive we have gotten this year in overall recruiting efforts. Just a bit surprised at who has not gotten offers though. What do I know, I coach baseball and basketball so my football evaluation skills are made from the recliner!

Michigan just threw their hat into the ring for Farniok. An earliar statement I made, needs to be corrected....According to him, he has not narrowed his list down to 2 like I previously stated. My apologies.. I took what some "informed" posters(claimed to know the family well) had posted, and ran with it. My fault.

Bulaga and Diesel need to walk down the street and talk to Cole Van Lanen. Would be a big step to making this a really good class. Don't know about his pass blocking skills, but the kid is a road grader and has quite the offer list which would make all the Debbie downers on this site happy.

We should just wait until some other power 5 schools offer before we extend an offer. Then, all our recruits would be good ones or something...

Bulaga and Diesel need to walk down the street and talk to Cole Van Lanen. Would be a big step to making this a really good class. Don't know about his pass blocking skills, but the kid is a road grader and has quite the offer list which would make all the Debbie downers on this site happy.

Van Lanen, Farniok, Williams and Jackson and I'd be good with that.

Liking recruits to have power 5 offers=Debbie Downer, makes sense
Let's try that for once. Last year's class of "studs" had a grand total of 7 guys that were capable of earning an offer from a power 5 school.
7 out of an entire class.
I'll try to explain some things. They offered a ton of kids with 'power 5' school offers last year (and years past) and landed very few of them because they got in too late and they will lose going head to head with Ohio st.s etc... (Hilliard, Cornell, etc..) almost every time. I don't (and neither do the coaches) worry too much about who offered Iowa kids or S. Dakota kids.
This year, they are trying to identify talented, 'gettable' kids earlier, BEFORE anyone else gets their mitts on them and I like it. You do understand that none of these kids has played a down of their senior year yet and their offer lists would have grown big time (and may still) with an impressive senior year. Most of you don't seem to really understand much, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Yes, it appeared that KF was reluctant in the past to go after kids too hard until they had completed their senior years. That's the way it used to work and actually probably still should work, but it seems he has finally seen the writing on the wall and is making good adjustments. They don't really care who offered last years class and neither do I. The key is that the depth be sufficient with upperclassmen to have the time to properly develop these kids and things are trending that way again. Go Hawks!

It would be nice to pull Van Lanen out of Wisconsin. Michigan got the top recruit in Wisconsin and OL to commit which surprised me.

Let's try that for once. Last year's class of "studs" had a grand total of 7 guys that were capable of earning an offer from a power 5 school.
7 out of an entire class.

By definition, every player in the class had an offer from a P5 school.

Iowa and Nebby are Farniok's top two. Stanford is right up there as well. I'm sure both Iowa and Nebby fans will claim their respective school has the lead.

Don't really care to speculate. Still early. I do know that Farniok will be visiting Lincoln for the 4th time toward the end of this month and Raridon is meeting him there at the same time. That's all I know from the Husker board writers.

OL recruiting is not an area of concern. WR and CB is the greatest need now.

KF and staff know how to develop O-line talent.

Get back to us after the season. This looks like it will be one of the worst lines that Iowa has ever put on the field, and last year's group wasn't very good, either.
This is a frustrating argument. Easy to pin your ears back on the offensive line when the QB can't throw a spiral ten yards. By the time the guys that played last year are done as seniors, I'm going to guess 60-75% will be at least practice squad players in the NFL.

Reactions: ichawk24
Get back to us after the season. This looks like it will be one of the worst lines that Iowa has ever put on the field, and last year's group wasn't very good, either.

Yes the line was so horrible that both tackles got drafted. It didn't look great because Weismann couldn't hit the hole
fast enough at times, and guard play was inconsistent.

Reactions: ichawk24
Michigan had both of their tackles drafted the year before and led the country in TFLs allowed.

Two good players do not make a good line, genius.
So, in what way was the line the worst ever? I'm not saying they were great, they weren't...but that's a far cry from horrible. There were a lot of issues last year, o-line was far from the biggest one that hurt us.

You say that it's going to be the worst line, not taking into consideration growth, consistency, and familiarity. I don't think last year's line was great. But this one won't be the worst ever.

So, in what way was the line the worst ever? I'm not saying they were great, they weren't...but that's a far cry from horrible. There were a lot of issues last year, o-line was from the biggest one that hurt us.
I have to ask when was the last time Iowa had a bad football team? I guess I'm old enough to remember when we had bad football teams and believe me it could happen again very fast.

This is what I have heard from the Nebraska side. Sounds like Nebraska and Iowa are the top two and some west coast teams are a little ways back. It sounds like Bama and some southern schools have visited him as well. The kids film looks good. He will succeed wherever he ends up.

Iowa just needs to keep putting the full court press on Farniok. They should have him visit and bring in Scherff to talk to him.

Reactions: fbmom73
FBmom, if that is how your son handled his recruitment then I tip my hat to him and to your family. It is a strong showing of character to declare what you want and not be distracted by the bells and whistles. I am going to say that is the exception rather then the rule. In general kids/families like the attention and are still willing to at least listen to other offers.

Yes the line was so horrible that both tackles got drafted. It didn't look great because Weismann couldn't hit the hole
fast enough at times, and guard play was inconsistent.

Agreed. The line play was not helped at all by using a FB as a RB and the general offensive identify issues. Iowa game up only 22 sacks in 13 games (5th in B1G). That number (22 sacks against) is a number you can win with.

The line play is a definite concern for this year, especially if injuries occur. But a bit too early to just say it will be terrible.

They line play last year was pretty good and at times great but the RBs were just bad most of the time because they either weren't quick enough, or didnt have good vision. Look at what happened when they actually had a RB in Wadley that could find the holes and was quick and fast enough to get through them. He looked great!

Iowa just needs to keep putting the full court press on Farniok. They should have him visit and bring in Scherff to talk to him.

He just got back from his Nebraska visit. He said he's going to visit Iowa again this summer.

"Matt Farniok said that he has no other visits scheduled at this time, but he intends to visit Iowa one more time this summer. His latest offer came from Michigan and Tennessee has also started talking to him."

It also sounds like his recruitment is going to be strung out for awhile.

"I'm not sure if I'm going to decide at that game yet," Farniok stated. "I'm thinking at the end of the summer I'm going to cut it down to maybe eight schools. I haven't thought through how many officials I'm going to be taking, but it will probably be at least three."

https://nebraska.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1778166

I consider Farniok a fairly strong Nebraska lean.

1. Of all the schools who have offered, he has unofficially visited Nebraska the most - by far.

2. His former teammate at Sioux Falls Washington, starting Safety Nate Gerry, is talking to him and selling the Husker program. This is a big advantage because the two have developed a friendship and Gerry is considered a legend at Washington (and also by the Sioux Falls media).
2016 Husker OL commit Raridon is also in his ear.

3. Parents have stated a preference for a school closer to home. Lincoln is about 150 miles closer to Sioux Falls than Iowa City.

Iowa will need to make a very strong impression on his visit later this summer (and again, especially, on his official visit) in order to make it a contest IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT