ADVERTISEMENT

Olympic Spotlight: van Aalsum Unstoppable For Iowa Field Hockey

erut17

Scout Team
Gold Member
Feb 8, 2023
It was another banner week for Iowa field hockey, led by freshman Dionne van Aalsum. She notched a pair of four-goal games for the #1 Hawkeyes in their weekend games and has now scored multiple goals in every game this season. The Hawkeyes bested Central Michigan 8-0 and UMass Lowell 5-1. The Hawkeyes have quickly turned into a juggernaut this season, dominating the pace of play with a stout defense and a potent offense. van Aalsum has been an instant superstar on campus, putting up numbers against ranked and unranked opponents. The Hawks will finish up non-conference play with games against Vermont and Merrimack College this week.

Elsewhere in Hawkeye sports, Iowa Soccer drew against #18 Virginia and picked up a convincing 3-0 win over George Mason. The Hawks were ranked #23 in the latest Top Drawer Soccer rankings, led by Samantha Carey, who won Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week for the second straight week. Iowa will now turn their focus to conference play, starting with a match against Illinois this Sunday.
Iowa Volleyball was 2-2 last week, dropping a heartbreaker against Iowa State before going 2-1 over the weekend. Mac McClear took home the ANF Fall Classic title for Iowa golf after shooting -12 over the tournament and Hawkeye cross country took part in the Badger Classic.

You can catch up on all things Hawkeye Olympic Sports here.

Reactions: GolfHacker1
Van Aalsum has been nothing less than remarkable. Is there any comparison in Iowa Field Hockey history in regards to freshman production or scoring? Her star power can elevate an already very good Iowa program the next 4 years.
Kristy Gleason scored 27 as a freshman at Iowa in 1989. That'd be a huge mark for van Aalsum to pass, as Coach Cellucci called Gleason the best to ever play for the Hawks. van Aalsum's got chance since she's already at 16 and has at least eleven more games to play (plus any conference or NCAA tournament games).

She's perhaps the biggest field hockey story in the country right now. It'll be exciting to see if she can track the record down.

I'd like to know the recruiting story of DvA. She was slo name National FH player of the week.
I've been doing some digging but there's unfortunately not as much infrastructure to cover FH recruiting as there is for the bigger sports. Coach implied that the other big programs were after her as well but I haven't been able to track down an offer list or anything like that.

I'm going to keep digging because it's got my interest as well.

I've been doing some digging but there's unfortunately not as much infrastructure to cover FH recruiting as there is for the bigger sports. Coach implied that the other big programs were after her as well but I haven't been able to track down an offer list or anything like that.

I'm going to keep digging because it's got my interest as well.
There is this article about her recruitment to the US(might need to translate it), but doesn't describe her as a prodigy.

Of course, Netherlands is #1 in the women's world field hockey rankings, and the US is 22. So, there could be more like her.

There is this article about her recruitment to the US(might need to translate it), but doesn't describe her as a prodigy.

Of course, Netherlands is #1 in the women's world field hockey rankings, and the US is 22. So, there could be more like her.
I read the article and it is more about getting to camp in Netherlands and then Amerca vs how she ended up at Iowa. Interesting none the less, so thanks.

Van Aalsum has been nothing less than remarkable. Is there any comparison in Iowa Field Hockey history in regards to freshman production or scoring? Her star power can elevate an already very good Iowa program the next 4 years.

Kristy Gleason scored 27 as a freshman at Iowa in 1989. That'd be a huge mark for van Aalsum to pass, as Coach Cellucci called Gleason the best to ever play for the Hawks. van Aalsum's got chance since she's already at 16 and has at least eleven more games to play (plus any conference or NCAA tournament games).

She's perhaps the biggest field hockey story in the country right now. It'll be exciting to see if she can track the record down.

I'd like to know the recruiting story of DvA. She was slo name National FH player of the week.
Well, she’s already at 21 now.”, and we haven’t even gotten to B1G play. Saw her in person today and WOW. Do yourself a favor and get out to see her in person. The Caitlin Clark of Field Hockey. I think this sums it up:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT