ADVERTISEMENT

Olympic wrestling results

Sadulaev had a brutal path to win gold and was never seriously challenged. Man that guy is good. Smart match...thought he could have been put on the clock in the second. He decided that he wasn't going to shoot a lot of shots and get stuck under Snyder and deplete his tank.
He definitely should have been on the clock. Ref put Snyder on the clock ten seconds after a shot attempt.
Freaking ridiculous.

I believe Dake was fine. If he was off or his strength was low he wouldn’t have tried to outmuscle the guy. I believe he just plain got out freestyled. Reminds me of a high school dual with Russia in Waterloo in the 90s. Our guys came out all muscled up and tried to bully the Russians and got embarrassed with crotch lifts and other exposures.
He won’t get past the Cuban (if he gets the chance) if he doesn’t respect the fact that maybe these guys are a bit stronger and more savvy.

He got outwrestled plain and simple.

He's a two time world champion, something was off. No way he's out of his league here. Imo
Saw this film breakdown on the first 6-point sequence of Dake's match and thought I'd share for those interested in such things. These techniques may have caught Dake off-guard early on. Brilliant positional wrestling by Dake's opponent.

Snyder was poorly coached. You beat Sadulaev by wrestling a hard pace to wear him out and finishing shots quickly. Snyder's corner should have had him push the pace more in the first period. Slippery super athlete Cox will give Sadulaev trouble if he pushes the pace. More pace=more sweat=tougher to chest wrap.

I actually think Gable will continue wrestling freestyle at least through 2024 and may be beyond. With the leaving the dream fund he could make $250,000 a year plus endorsements. I think Gable is the type who will look at Baumgartner's incredible achievements and want to do one better. Three Olympic golds are easily within his reach.

• Haha
Reactions: Hotshoe
Dake said in his Flo interview that the medical issue that affected his performance day one and miraculously was solved day two will be revealed in his upcoming documentary.

Used to really like him, but I have come to believe he is as entitled and whiny as Taylor. Douches both of them...

• Haha
Reactions: Hotshoe and Gobblin
Dake said in his Flo interview that the medical issue that affected his performance day one and miraculously was solved day two will be revealed in his upcoming documentary.

Used to really like him, but I have come to believe he is as entitled and whiny as Taylor. Douches both of them...
Yea, it is truly a shame that USA’s two stars are so unlikeable.

Someone really needs to take over from Burroughs in terms of being that public face of USA wresting with a smart, likable personality. Cox definitely has the personality, but he’s going to need a spot in the team. Snyder seems like a super good dude, but just a bit dull. Could try Gable if he sticks around, but obviously has some sticky off the mat issues and has probably built the heel persona too much

Spencer could turn into that guy. Carr also has that personality, but it’s too early to tell if he’ll ever make a team with such talent at his weight.

Who am I missing. Yianni? Seems like he has the right personality, but will need to start winning gold at a weight the US really struggles at.

Someone really needs to take over from Burroughs in terms of being that public face of USA wresting with a smart, likable personality. Cox definitely has the personality, but he’s going to need a spot in the team. Snyder seems like a super good dude, but just a bit dull. Could try Gable if he sticks around, but obviously has some sticky off the mat issues and has probably built the heel persona too much

Spencer could turn into that guy. Carr also has that personality, but it’s too early to tell if he’ll ever make a team with such talent at his weight.

Who am I missing. Yianni? Seems like he has the right personality, but will need to start winning gold at a weight the US really struggles at.
Cox is out as a face of USA Wrestling with the antics at trials. IMO

Carr and Yianni are good calls. Spencer obviously. Will get heat for this, but I also find RBY pretty likeable. He just might be a tweener at the senior level.

We'll see what the issue was for Dake. Maybe it was legit. Who knows with him. Maybe he accidentally got too young?

Carr and Yianni are good calls. Spencer obviously. Will get heat for this, but I also find RBY pretty likeable. He just might be a tweener at the senior level.

We'll see what the issue was for Dake. Maybe it was legit. Who knows with him. Maybe he accidentally got too young?
Good call on RBY. The whole “influencer” thing he’s going for doesn’t really do it for me, but obviously that’s the way to make a name for yourself these days.

Issue for Dake? I just watched some of that match. He got out wrestled. Period.

That's true, but he looked uncharacteristically off balance in multiple positions. I'm not sure he would have won healthy, but I'm also not sure that guy is "11-0" better than him.
Nobody in the world is 11-0 better than him. I don’t know if he was injured, but he was clearly off his game. I think he got a bit flustered after the first scoring sequence. He hasn’t been put in a position where he is behind and has to battle back in several years.

Talking to a friend of mine after Dake lost, I suggested that maybe he reverse-aged a few years to much, didn't get enough red light, and/or his patterns weren't functional enough.

That's true, but he looked uncharacteristically off balance in multiple positions. I'm not sure he would have won healthy, but I'm also not sure that guy is "11-0" better than him.
He was that day.

Some of those guys are at another level, as far as freestyle goes.

That was the case here. Watch it again.

Steveson won gold with two very late takedowns. There is zero chance he could be at the top of the pole trying to do both as each are full-time jobs. Jack of both, master of neither. He could be the GOAT if he stayed with wrestling. He could make a fortune with the WWE. Depends what is important to him.

Steveson won gold with two very late takedowns. There is zero chance he could be at the top of the pole trying to do both as each are full-time jobs. Jack of both, master of neither. He could be the GOAT if he stayed with wrestling. He could make a fortune with the WWE. Depends what is important to him.
Take the money

Reactions: el dub
Lesnar seems to be an influence in his life.

I see him as one more year in college, tho.

Lol He won the Olympic heavyweight division as a 21 year old. (I don’t care how many late takedowns he needed to win gold.)

Even his body looked off. He just looked weaker from the very first moment I saw him.
According to Flo interview, Dake will eventually disclose the problem he had. He didn't want to make an excuse at the time, but there was definitely an issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: LIV4GOD
According to Flo interview, Dake will eventually disclose the problem he had. He didn't want to make an excuse at the time, but there was definitely an issue.
FWIW, Corby from the matscouts show said he had heard about an issue before the tournament as well.

Reactions: lionlover
The problem he had was that kadi had a metzger waiting for his seat belt position. Dake is great but excuses are for wusses.
And who is to say that guy didn’t have something going on (some injury or other adversity). Burroughs won worlds with a broken ankle. S#!+ happens. Dake got outwrestled.

Reactions: Tcalumet and el dub
Gable had a blown out knee, Terry Brands could barely walk for his Bronze match, Gilman had three Dr.’s say surgery was requiredMaroulis concussions and the list goes on and on.

I’d be surprised if Dake blames his loss, on whatever his issues were. The ailments these guys and gals work through attest to the mental toughness it takes to wrestle at this level.

when Spencer said excuses are for wusses he was referencing his issues.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT