ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Nebraska's finest

About as many times as he swept Christian Peters rape incidents under the rug. A lot.

TO was nearing the end of his run as coach he looked the other way on everything to sellout for his title.

You're right - there is no way Nebraska could have won a national championship with Ahman Green. The only option had to be Phillips.

Originally posted by Hawki_dynasty:
I wonder how many times TO swept this kid's transgressions under the rug. What a scum bag.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
What was the old rule that allowed schools to take non-qualifiers? I remember it's something that most B1G schools resisted doing, but many of the others (including Nebraska) took advantage of it. It allowed schools to put more "high risk" players on their roster who were phenomenal athletes.

Before you hate on Nebraska for it, we all remember Nebraska used to be really great at football, but we don't so quickly remember the shady characters until stories like this come up. I would guess a number of those players ended up straightening themselves out and turned into productive adults.

Originally posted by thewop:

I wonder how many times TO swept this kid's transgressions under the rug. What a scum bag.

What was the old rule that allowed schools to take non-qualifiers? I remember it's something that most B1G schools resisted doing, but many of the others (including Nebraska) took advantage of it. It allowed schools to put more "high risk" players on their roster who were phenomenal athletes.

Before you hate on Nebraska for it, we all remember Nebraska used to be really great at football, but we don't so quickly remember the shady characters until stories like this come up. I would guess a number of those players ended up straightening themselves out and turned into productive adults.
The term you are looking for is "Prop 48" players.

Originally posted by Husker "C":

Which required that 48 be either A) their IQ, or B) number of days sentenced to community service or jail.

Can't speak for what kind of background checks Nebraska did on Phillips while they recruited him, but the Rams had a major screw up when they signed him. Still remember coach DV's big speech on how with the right coaching they could change him and with his talent they could make him into a good NFL back. That turned out really well with DV coming close to getting fired. If it wasn't for the lucky find of Kurt Warner he probably would of been gone.

Yeah, this one seems like a real stand up guy.

Peter

Ahman Green? The same Ahman Green arrested three times for domestic violence? Let's not go there...but compared to LP a Boy Scout.

Originally posted by Husker "C":

Thank you Husker C, that was it.

Originally posted by Teenage Dirtbag:
Ahman Green? The same Ahman Green arrested three times for domestic violence? Let's not go there...but compared to LP a Boy Scout.
Nebraska could have had a Mark Weisman with rhabdomyolysis play all year in 1995 and still would have won the National Title. Most dominant college football team of all time.

Weisman...with rhabdomyolsysis?...that might be a bit of a stretch to win the title. Plus he would have only been a 4-year old at the time. I just don't think he could have taken the pounding. Long long time ago.

You Hawkeye 's would not know because it's 20 years later, but Nebraska was loaded at running back in 1995. ( Who wouldn't like to have 4 great running backs on the same team) well we DID.

Besides Ahman Green they also had Clinton Childs and Damon Benning.

Did TO make a mistake for trying to straighten him out.....Well easy to say 20 years later but the bottom line is Larry Phillips made his choices after leaving Lincoln and failed miserably

This post was edited on 4/14 5:46 PM by scarletred

It's easy to understand why people would attack Tom Osborne. Whether your were an opposing fan or player, Tom's teams basically handed you your lunch and their wasn't anything you could do. So when a weak moment in a stellar career opens up people pounce. Lawrence Phillips was a nasty individual. But let's be clear Tom Osborne didn't need him to kick butt or to win National Championships (just go to the stats)! The mistake that Tom made was thinking he could help. Many of us at the time tried to convince coach to let him go but Tom wouldn't give up on him. Tom felt everybody had a good side, even those who bashed him and continue to bash him today. So when I read about people who don't have any skin in the game popping off, still carrying hate nearly twenty years later I must assume its their way of getting back for the ass whooping's.

Originally posted by KcRoyals13:

Originally posted by Teenage Dirtbag:
Nebraska could have had a Mark Weisman with rhabdomyolysis play all year in 1995 and still would have won the National Title. Most dominant college football team of all time.
As well as one of the most corrupt. Rape, beating women, attempted murder, etc. You name it you were dominant in it.

Originally posted by N.Legend:
It's easy to understand why people would attack Tom Osborne. Whether your were an opposing fan or player, Tom's teams basically handed you your lunch and their wasn't anything you could do. So when a weak moment in a stellar career opens up people pounce. Lawrence Phillips was a nasty individual. But let's be clear Tom Osborne didn't need him to kick butt or to win National Championships (just go to the stats)! The mistake that Tom made was thinking he could help. Many of us at the time tried to convince coach to let him go but Tom wouldn't give up on him. Tom felt everybody had a good side, even those who bashed him and continue to bash him today. So when I read about people who don't have any skin in the game popping off, still carrying hate nearly twenty years later I must assume its their way of getting back for the ass whooping's.
You're right, it is EASY to understand why people would attack Tom Osborne.

"I don't tell Tom Osborne how to run the football department,"
Lancaster County Attorney Gary Lacey says, "and he should stay
out of the criminal justice system. He hasn't done that at all."
According to Lacey, Osborne has taken it upon himself to
interview witnesses in criminal cases, offered very public
opinions on the probable innocence of players who have yet to
stand trial and attacked the credibility of witnesses testifying
against his players. In January 1994 he and an assistant even
locked away a gun that had allegedly been used by one of his
players in the commission of a felony.
"That's Osborne using his influence to disrupt the criminal
justice system," Lacey says. "Osborne talks to witnesses.
Whether he tried to influence them or not ... someone with his
reputation would have an effect."
In four recent cases involving criminal charges against his
players, Osborne has aggressively rushed to their defense:

Now listen up, you silly Fuskers. Your teams that you are so proud of were full of hooligans, rapists, future murderers, woman beaters, and all around bad kids. It was the price you put on your championships. Who know what else happened that didn't make the press. Roids were rampant, and criminals disguised as students disgraced your school in the name of winning football games. This is a fact, and trying to say other schools did the same DOES NOT change the fact, that this is the TRUTH about your beloved team.

Your former coach may have been a meanie, but at least he was someone who didn't allow this #$#$. Yet, because you guys are unrealistic and upset, you drove him mad. I can only hope Riley doesn't get Pelini'd or Solich'd.

And you call yourselves the greatest fans in college football.....you're on the same level as the Paterno deniers. FACT.

"You're right, it is EASY to understand why people would attack Tom Osborne."

Tom Osborne was a pioneer in steroid use, how many Nebraska farm boys did he turn into NFL linemen. I think we know how he did that.

Originally posted by dekhawk:

Tom Osborne was a pioneer in steroid use, how many Nebraska farm boys did he turn into NFL linemen. I think we know how he did that.
He was also a pioneer in 'Paterno style' coverup for the sake of football wins. Poor Pelini, he knew the evil he faced in Lincoln, and he absorbed some of it. I'm willing to bet he does well in Youngstown and finds peace and happiness again.

Pelini may have rightfully scolded the Fusker faithful for being the lie they are, but at least he ran a ship that was full of honorable sailors, rather than pirates.

Lots of BS being spoken on this thread by those who don't know what they are really talking about. LOL!

Originally posted by BuffSurveyor:

Lots of BS being spoken on this thread by those who don't know what they are really talking about. LOL!
I know right? Do you think you can set the rest of your Husker friends straight and use the facts provided by my Hawkeye friends and I to help them face the truth?

Originally posted by Aegon_Targaryen:

What have you ACTUALLY done to help victims of sexual crime?

Must be nice to make the right call in every facet of life.

I'm sure you've noticed this by now, but yer kind of a big ol' jag off.

I know this is a "feel good" moment for you all, but this will be old news and you have to go back to your same old program you have always had - irrelevant. So yes, enjoy your temporary escape from misery with some focus on this story, but eventually you have to go back to reality. Carry on...

Pelini and honorable in the same sentence is funny. Carl says 'hi'.

Pelini running his honorable program still beat you 75% of the time - what is your excuse this time for Nebraska doing what it always does to Iowa - winning?

So an already despicable human being who was enabled in your program now kills someone and your rationale is 'it will become old news' and we still won more games? That speaks volumes about the mindset that some have about your program. I probably wouldn't be sharing that thought process with pride.

And what would a Husker fans opinion of Barry Switzer be? Class guy? Or still mad about him handing Osborne 4 of his 8 most lopsided defeats? (Yeah Nebraska took some whippings too). How about the legendary OU coach Gary Gibbs who defeated Osborne 45-10. Maybe we should talk modern day era. What's your opinion of Brett Bielema? Still mad about the 70-31 whooping from him? Guessing no ill will towards Rhodes, who also has a win over Nebraska. You respect Switzer, or mad about the beatings? I have a lot of respect for Nebraska, but don't act like they haven't had their share of losses and believe it or not, the 90's aren't coming back.

Keep this banter coming I love it. There is no greater sorrow than to try and rip somebody in times of misery. Keep working at it Hawk fans and you might create a rivalry yet (off field).

Originally posted by NebRGR5634:
It is amazing just how jelly Iowa fans are.
This.

At the end of the day Iowa is a 6-7 win program. And their fans and administration are just fine with that. So is Kirk...as he laughs himself to the bank after each and every loss to NU.

Originally posted by dekhawk:

He was also a pioneer in 'Paterno style' coverup for the sake of football wins. Poor Pelini, he knew the evil he faced in Lincoln, and he absorbed some of it. I'm willing to bet he does well in Youngstown and finds peace and happiness again.

Pelini may have rightfully scolded the Fusker faithful for being the lie they are, but at least he ran a ship that was full of honorable sailors, rather than pirates.
Worst case maybe he will land at Iowa once Kirk retires with his boatload of money and 7 wins a year? Iowa fans would kill and anoint Pelini king if he could squeak out 9 wins for your little program.

Originally posted by B1G RED RULES:

Pelini running his honorable program still beat you 75% of the time - what is your excuse this time for Nebraska doing what it always does to Iowa - winning?
No excuse, your team has won 3 out of 4. Who the #$# is Carl? Make no mistake, Iowa will likely win again, and many times at that. You're now feeding us an ABC style football scheme. No one out conservatives Kirk. Not even Riley.

I like Pelini to be honest. He was a great example of what's wrong with you guys. How'd you drive him so mad? Hell the entire staff lost their #$#$. Kaz, who was already a cretin, became even more of a cretin. There are evil things going on in Lincoln.

What do you make of it B1G?

No excuse, your team has won 3 out of 4. Who the #$# is Carl? Make no mistake, Iowa will likely win again, and many times at that. You're now feeding us an ABC style football scheme. No one out conservatives Kirk. Not even Riley.

I like Pelini to be honest. He was a great example of what's wrong with you guys. How'd you drive him so mad? Hell the entire staff lost their #$#$. Kaz, who was already a cretin, became even more of a cretin. There are evil things going on in Lincoln.

Meanwhile...in Iowa City it's setup as a nice retirement community for Kirk. Just stashing away his benjamins and 7 wins a year before calling it quits. Sure....Iowa will beat NU again....probably once every five years or so. Kudos to you. I realize in the Hogeyes mind that equals success.

The biggest sign of how boring Nebraska football has gotten is the fact you are on our message board and not reading about your own program!! That would have never happened in the Osborne days!! So post again...and spend more time with the Hawkeyes!! Glad to have you aboard...but you won't find me wasting my time on a Nebraska message board. Have a good day boys...this thread is officially dead. GO HAWKS!!

Meanwhile...in Iowa City it's setup as a nice retirement community for Kirk. Just stashing away his benjamins and 7 wins a year before calling it quits. Sure....Iowa will beat NU again....probably once every five years or so. Kudos to you. I realize in the Hogeyes mind that equals success.
That Kirk, he's a slick one, that's for sure. But he has brought us some conference championships, BCS trips, and 4 end of season top ten rankings.

Meanwhile in Lincoln,....The Fuskers are now relying on a guy who hasn't won a championship for an even longer period of time than your team has failed to do so.

Just do me a favor, Be nice to Mike. He's a good guy, and he's getting up there in age, don't let his final years be drenched in madness. You guys are awfully abusive towards your coaches.

That Kirk, he's a slick one, that's for sure. But he has brought us some conference championships, BCS trips, and 4 end of season top ten rankings.

Meanwhile in Lincoln,....The Fuskers are now relying on a guy who hasn't won a championship for an even longer period of time than your team has failed to do so.

Just do me a favor, Be nice to Mike. He's a good guy, and he's getting up there in age, don't let his final years be drenched in madness. You guys are awfully abusive towards your coaches.
Rich Kirk is 26-25(15-17) since Nebraska graced the Big Ten with their presence. Coincidence? I think not. But then again, when taking into account Iowa's football history...that four solid seasons for your nice little program. Probably why Kirk gets to hang around and count his money.
This post was edited on 4/15 8:19 AM by KcRoyals13

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT