Ott on Rudock

greenelite

HR All-American
Oct 11, 2008
"I thought he had a little more fight in him," defensive end Drew Ott
said on Wednesday's Big Ten spring teleconference. "But maybe an
opportunity (arose) over there at Michigan."

LINK

Agree with ott 5th. JR will be a 5th yr senior fight for your spot this summer and fall practice. Nothing set in stone for CJ to start first game. Also no guarantee he plays at Michigan.

Ott echoing the thoughts of everyone concerning Rudocks play the last couple years

"A smart football player," Ott said. "He's going to run an offense and know what to do."

Is he a leader?

"I don't know. You'd have to ask someone else."

Smack.

Originally posted by 3rd Generation Hawk:
I don't know how much an indictment that is on Rudock's leadership ability. After all, Ott probably hasn't spent much time in the offensive huddle.
Leadership comes in many forms. A starting quarterback should definitely assert himself in more than just the offensive huddle. It is definitely an indictment on Rudock.

Originally posted by clhawks00:

Originally posted by 3rd Generation Hawk:
I don't know how much an indictment that is on Rudock's leadership ability. After all, Ott probably hasn't spent much time in the offensive huddle.
Leadership comes in many forms. A starting quarterback should definitely assert himself in more than just the offensive huddle. It is definitely an indictment on Rudock.
Agreed I don't think Adrian Clayborn would ever have expressed wonder if Stanzi was a leader...

Originally posted by Hawknado:
Ott echoing the thoughts of everyone concerning Rudocks play the last couple years
135943d1363926343-*who-do-you-think-going-win-most-improved-contest*-4194259736_0b3d3edfeb.jpg
R.I.P. Leonard

This would go against what a lot of those Rudock and KF supporters have been saying all last season.

Originally posted by Aegon_Targaryen:
Is he a leader?

This is the most telling comment probably ever to come out of the football building in KF's tenure IMO. The fact that Ott doesn't know or won't say what kind of a leader JR was tells me that the team didn't have total confidence in him and probably why KF and Co made the switch to CJ.

Originally posted by whatsup12579er:

Is he a leader?

This is the most telling comment probably ever to come out of the football building in KF's tenure IMO. The fact that Ott doesn't know or won't say what kind of a leader JR was tells me that the team didn't have total confidence in him and probably why KF and Co made the switch to CJ.
Well we know it wasn't because CJ "gave us the best chance to win" in Kirk's eyes. He made that clear throughout the season.

Is he a leader?

It means nothing unless you ask him if he feels CJ is a leader.

Originally posted by Titanhawk2:

Is he a leader?

Great point. Think any of the local reporters will catch on and actually follow up with this story?

Originally posted by Titanhawk2:
Is he a leader?

Great point. Think any of the local reporters will catch on and actually follow up with this story?
Dochterman wrote a piece on it, but added little to the discussion.

I worked briefly with 2 incoming freshman football players (no longer with the team) that came in the same year as Rudock. I'm not going to divulge details, but they were clowning on him and had 0 respect for the future leader of the squad. I'm not going to say that's what made up my mind, but that started the process of doubt before JR even took his first spring game snap.

Watching the CJB vs JR battle in the the following year's spring game is what locked in my opinion. TR FR Beathard clearly had the best arm of all the QBs, including SR Vandenberg. Rudock panned out exactly as I expected. Smart player, but weak velocity and no balls. Would have been nice to have him as a backup, but I'm very happy he is gone as we get to avoid another year of that bullshit QB ¨rotation.¨

Dochterman Link

Originally posted by ichawk24:
Somehow Ott is showing leadership with these comments?
Answering a question honestly about a player who quit on his team?

You need to step up your trolling game son.

I loved Otts candid comment, share his opinion, and see nothing wrong with it.

Why, simply in my era people competed for spots, and didn't quit when they didn't win it. Vlassic didn't quit, Pohlosky and Hartlieb didn't quit, Jimmy Hartlieb and Burmeister didn't quit...nor did you see it at other positions. It's a long, long list of hawkeyes over the years that stay 5 years and don't quit if they never start, let alone start for for 2 full years. Many through the years once started, then didn't, yet did not quit.

I also give little credence to the opinion of 2 players from JRs incoming class that aren't around. It appears from your description that whoever they are bailed long before JR.

Originally posted by greenelite:

I worked briefly with 2 incoming freshman football players (no longer with the team) that came in the same year as Rudock. I'm not going to divulge details, but they were clowning on him and had 0 respect for the future leader of the squad.
These two guys barely knew him, had zero respect, and couldn't manage to stay in the program. And you're basing your opinion on this?

The stupidity on these boards knows no bounds.

That Dochterman piece didn't add anything to the comments by Ott. The next time the players are open to meet with the media, they need to ask Ott about CJB's leaderships abilities then write a column comparing the comments.

I worked briefly with 2 incoming freshman football players (no longer with the team) that came in the same year as Rudock. I'm not going to divulge details, but they were clowning on him and had 0 respect for the future leader of the squad.
These two guys barely knew him, had zero respect, and couldn't manage to stay in the program. And you're basing your opinion on this?

You get tired of getting made fun of on the other site for your 'Golden Boy Has Arrived' thread? What is your deal with CJ anyway? Why do you dislike the kid your favorite coach picked over Jake so much? Pretty unhealthy obsession from the looks of it.

I'm willing to bet that these two knew him a hell of a lot better than you or anyone else on this board. However, I explicitly said that I did not base my opinion on Rudock on this story. What I'm trying to say is that Ott's statements (also, the way the team reacted to Beathard taking over during 2nd half Pitt, CJ Fied's comments, etc) make sense to me.

Ott's answers seem matter-of-fact. He is a defensive player and didn't experience JR's leadership qualities first hand. Best he could do is offer hearsay. Too much being extrapolated in this thread.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by Auger:
This would go against what a lot of those Rudock and KF supporters have been saying all last season.

So, we talking about Kilroy and Matt Foley?

Originally posted by desihawk:
Ott's answers seem matter-of-fact. He is a defensive player and didn't experience JR's leadership qualities first hand. Best he could do is offer hearsay. Too much being extrapolated in this thread.

Please point out what part of:

seems matter-of-fact to you. That is almost the most non matter-of-fact way he could have answered the question.

roll.r191677.gif

It was two of the following.

Torrey Campbell - Couldn't hack it
Marcus Collins - Couldn't stay out of trouble
Rodney Coe - Couldn't study or eat a salad
Marcus Grant - played as a freshman but then got home sick
Nico Law - Couldn't live up to the HR hype. Yes all the brilliant posters here that knew more than the coaches.
Mikail McCall - Couldn't give a rats ass what he thinks. He serving time?
John Raymon - Couldn't handle Kaz's demeanor
Dean Tsopanades - Never played a snap.

Originally posted by ThatsFootball:

Originally posted by desihawk:

Please point out what part of:

seems matter-of-fact to you. That is almost the most non matter-of-fact way he could have answered the question.

roll.r191677.gif

Nothing?

Originally posted by heat_dawg:

It was two of the following.

Torrey Campbell - Couldn't hack it
Marcus Collins - Couldn't stay out of trouble
Rodney Coe - Couldn't study or eat a salad
Marcus Grant - played as a freshman but then got home sick
Nico Law - Couldn't live up to the HR hype. Yes all the brilliant posters here that knew more than the coaches.
Mikail McCall - Couldn't give a rats ass what he thinks. He serving time?
John Raymon - Couldn't handle Kaz's demeanor
Dean Tsopanades - Never played a snap.
Hey, you remember when you were wrong about Rudock? Yeah, almost as bad as when you said the Hawks threw the ball down the field during the 2012 season.

ADVERTISEMENT