ADVERTISEMENT

Outsider Thoughts...

Nebraska fans can make fun of Ferentz and what not. But if you take a closer look they hired the closest thing the PAC 12 had in coaches that is similar to KF in Mike Riley who is even older than him. Granted sure people can point out differences but his record at OSU (little worse than KF), elevating programs that had been down, interest from and connections to the NFL (Riley actually coaching briefly) and their personalities.

I would say Oregon State, especially when Riley was hired, was a tougher job than Iowa. Iowa is more a mid-level P5 program historically whereas Oregon State has been a true bottom feeder.

In the 25 years leading up to the Riley hire Oregon State won 52 games total. 2 wins a year for a quarter century. I'm sure Iowa's gone through some rough stretches but that's on another level.

I think Ferentz is a solid coach fwiw, but I don't like his defeatist attitude in recruiting.

LOL - leave it to an Iowa fan to try and make an argument about education and mess up the institution. If you can't get it done on the field, talk about your academics, or your band, etc..
Last time I checked education is the thing in college that actually gets you a job and helps you earn money, I don't know if I'd "LOL" at that.

Reactions: ozziesimmons22
LOL - leave it to an Iowa fan to try and make an argument about education and mess up the institution. If you can't get it done on the field, talk about your academics, or your band, etc..
The Big Red trolls return! I guess they have "unlocked" their locker room since the Hawks nearly demolished your pathetic Basketball program. I like your coach, but he is way too good for the cornheads! See you in November-Nebby!

How will it take for Nebraska to win the Big Ten. It was all we heard about when they weren't in the leagues and then it ramped up when they joined.

Maybe they should return to the weak big 12.

The only team in the B1G with a winning record vs Nebraska since Nebraska joined the B1G in 2011 is Wisconsin. That's it. 1 team.

GTFOH talking about the weak Big 12 when Iowa beats Iowa St 50% of the time the last 20 years.

Last time I checked education is the thing in college that actually gets you a job and helps you earn money, I don't know if I'd "LOL" at that.
I didn't say education was not important, I said if you are going to discusd education - at least get the institution you are trying to make a point with correct.

The Big Red trolls return! I guess they have "unlocked" their locker room since the Hawks nearly demolished your pathetic Basketball program. I like your coach, but he is way too good for the cornheads! See you in November-Nebby!
Basketball??? I completely understand why you would want to change the sport. That 3-1 lifetime advantage over you has to sting.

The only team in the B1G with a winning record vs Nebraska since Nebraska joined the B1G in 2011 is Wisconsin. That's it. 1 team.

GTFOH talking about the weak Big 12 when Iowa beats Iowa St 50% of the time the last 20 years.

How many championships has that gotten you. Zero. I thought UNL was about winning titles. I guess not so much any more.

Nebraska has to come to the Iowa board to talk smack because they are irrelevant nationally. They have to take it out on somebody.

Do it Right - Graduate - Win
Actually, that looks like the correct order to me. People may disagree, but UI and life are still more important than football.

And, yes, it should go without saying that I wanna win every game. People here don't know me personally, obviously, but I doubt if you talked to people who do know me, they would say they know a bigger Hawkeye fan than I am.

I would say Oregon State, especially when Riley was hired, was a tougher job than Iowa. Iowa is more a mid-level P5 program historically whereas Oregon State has been a true bottom feeder.

In the 25 years leading up to the Riley hire Oregon State won 52 games total. 2 wins a year for a quarter century. I'm sure Iowa's gone through some rough stretches but that's on another level.

I think Ferentz is a solid coach fwiw, but I don't like his defeatist attitude in recruiting.
What does Oregon State have to do with how Riley coaches and his philosophy? Are these going to change now that he is at Nebraska? Probably not. You are going to have a coach who is conservative, runs the ball, and is development first. Sounds quite a bit like Ferentz doesn't it?

Iowa's problem is that Kirk is ridiculously conservative, to a crazy degree. This helps out in games vs better teams as Iowa rarely gets blow. Out, but it also leads to Iowa losing games to crap directional schools, Iowa St, and is frankly why I wouldn't be surprised if Iowa struggles with Illinois St.

The play that sticks out to me most is the Nebraska-Iowa game in Iowa City a few years ago. Iowa is at like the 30 it like 4th & 6. It's super windy so a field goal is not an option, so what does Kirk so? He punts the ball for like a net 6 yards. Short of an interception for a TD, the worst possible scenario is Nwbraska gets a sack and is at like te 35 yard line.

Small decisions like that just highlight tithe problem with Iowa. I really don't understand how your fans put up with it.

Don't forget it was late in the 4th quarter too. Neither team had been able to move the ball well, it was late in the game with less than one score differential and likely our last real chance to score. There are scenarios where punting may make sense and scenarios where you need to go for it. If ever there was a case for going for it, that was it. Basically he conceded the game with that punt and was just trying to minimize how much Iowa lost by.....

The play that sticks out to me most is the Nebraska-Iowa game in Iowa City a few years ago. Iowa is at like the 30 it like 4th & 6. It's super windy so a field goal is not an option, so what does Kirk so? He punts the ball for like a net 6 yards. Short of an interception for a TD, the worst possible scenario is Nwbraska gets a sack and is at like te 35 yard line.

Small decisions like that just highlight tithe problem with Iowa. I really don't understand how your fans put up with it.

It wasn't like 4th and 6. It was 4th and 13 from the 31. We were leading 7-3 in the 2nd quarter. The previous possession it was 4th and 1 from the Nebby 39 and we went for it and Weisman got stuffed. Where was that ridiculous conservative playcalling then? You only remember what you want to remember.

We had struggled to move the ball all year and in a game we are leading early you are bitching about a play call 3 years later. Why weren't you bragging about Kirks River Boat gambling on the

It wasn't like 4th and 6. It was 4th and 13 from the Nebraska 31. It wasn't late in the game it was in the 2nd quarter and we were leading 7-3. It was a stiff wind as Meyer missed a shorter FG on the next possession. You are pointing to a season where Iowa struggled to move the ball all season and we relied on defense. But here you are and bitching about not going for it on 4th and 13 from the 31 into a heavy wind. Because KF is so fricken conservative isn't he?

Why aren't you bragging about his river boat gambling he did on the possession before on 4th and 1 from the Nebraska 39 and Weisman got stuffed. Guess that would make your point look stupid.

Like KF or hate KF I don't really care, but you should at least try to get your facts right every now and then. You can make a great argument that KF is too conservative but you just exaggerate facts to make your story seem more dramatized. Got caught. Better luck next time.

Stay angry. Here's an outsiders thought. It's a gorgeous summer out there folks. Go outside and play and stop bitching about something that happened 3 years ago. Cheers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT