ADVERTISEMENT

Over 90% of us believe in God and half don't believe in . . .

Originally posted by HoundedHawk:
I see I touched nerve with "You go girl." I repent in sack cloth and ashes. You're usually quite civil with me and I don't want to ruin that.

Sorry HH. There are 3 people on this board who chronically engage in unprovoked personal attacks and I make a point not to let their nonsense pass without a counter-attack. You're not one of them. We all let one slip occassionally. And sometimes we forget the smilie to take the sting off our dig. I was just in counter-attack mode from something else and, like Bush fired at the wrong target.

Originally posted by PhilHartman:
Most of the brainwashing takes place in science classes when they revert to pseudo science. Kids are exposed far more to evolution before school, than the other. It's everywhere, even on their cereal boxes.

Maybe the reason the Christian/Satanism brainwashing is more effective is because it has serious penalties for the unbelievers. Science doesn't comdemn you to never ending torment and pain if you don't truely believe it, but Christianity and Satanism do.

These "believers" are probably just believers not becuase they really believe, but because they're weighing the potential penalties of believing in their answers.

The first and only brainwashing I have personally recieved was at the hands of Christians when I was a young and naive child. They actually tried to make me believe that a book written by men thousands of years ago was the word of God. I've come to realize that these were very evil people, they tried to hide the true nature of God from me and substitute the word of mortal men.

This post was edited on 3/31 4:19 PM by PhilHartmanif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

Not a brainwashing story and has nothing to do with this thread, but here I go anyway.

As a youngster (maybe 6 or 7 years old) a couple of adults in a grocery store were making small talk with me as I paid for my candy. At some point in the exchange one asked, "Are you a christian?" Not having any idea what-so-ever what a christian was I replied, "No". The guy then says deadpan as can be, "Oh, I'm sorry" and turns and walks away. Needless to say it made this little kid feel like he had done something wrong. This is one of the most vivid memories as a youngster I have and has obviously turned me into THE_DEVIL I am today.

Originally posted by THE_DEVIL:

Most of the brainwashing takes place in science classes when they revert to pseudo science. Kids are exposed far more to evolution before school, than the other. It's everywhere, even on their cereal boxes.

Maybe the reason the Christian/Satanism brainwashing is more effective is because it has serious penalties for the unbelievers. Science doesn't comdemn you to never ending torment and pain if you don't truely believe it, but Christianity and Satanism do.

These "believers" are probably just believers not becuase they really believe, but because they're weighing the potential penalties of believing in their answers.

The first and only brainwashing I have personally recieved was at the hands of Christians when I was a young and naive child. They actually tried to make me believe that a book written by men thousands of years ago was the word of God. I've come to realize that these were very evil people, they tried to hide the true nature of God from me and substitute the word of mortal men.

This post was edited on 3/31 4:19 PM by PhilHartman
if(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

Not a brainwashing story and has nothing to do with this thread, but here I go anyway.

As a youngster (maybe 6 or 7 years old) a couple of adults in a grocery store were making small talk with me as I paid for my candy. At some point in the exchange one asked, "Are you a christian?" Not having any idea what-so-ever what a christian was I replied, "No". The guy then says deadpan as can be, "Oh, I'm sorry" and turns and walks away. Needless to say it made this little kid feel like he had done something wrong. This is one of the most vivid memories as a youngster I have and has obviously turned me into THE_DEVIL I am today.

MickerHawk had a similar occurence (only a little older, at 18) that was apparently also life-changing. Instead of a christian it was a homosexual.

Originally posted by whatdidido:
[The creation science] school of thought never cured a disease! It led to opened veins bleeding into bowls and anuses stuffed full of spices in order to cure maladies caused by evil spirits.
Perhaps worth pointing out that it was mainly the alleged "cause" that was nonsense. We now use blood thinners and take our herbal remedies in capsule form.

A somewhat serious question was prompted by your post, dido. If reactionary religious forces continue to gain ascendancy - in all regions under the sway of Abrahamic religion - will we see people claiming that demons and evil spirits are the cause, once again?

Seriously, a lot of things in the various bibles that people used to take as allegory or metaphor are now taken literally by vast populations. Jesus cast out demons and had conversations with them. The having conversations with them part pretty clearly indicating they were real entities, not just a metaphor for disease.

So why hasn't the evil spirit view of illness returned? Is it just a matter of time? Or is it that we have a conflict between the desirable dumbing down of the populace so they'll blindly give allegiance to their leaders and media vs the need to still sell pharmaceuticals?

I look forward to a commercial pushing a pill that "let's you cast out the demons of illness just as our Savior did."

Originally posted by nolookpass:
Originally posted by FMHoosier:
Just a reminder as this thread moves forward, Hounded does not represent all Christians.

LOL. Its hilarious to see a dude who used Christs name in vain in a link putting disclaimers on a real Christian.

Where is said link? I honestly cannot think of an instant where I have ever done that. You have confused me with someone else.

You espouse more hate on this board than most, so your opinion means little, if nothing to me.

You should try being a bit more Christian.

Just a reminder as this thread moves forward, Hounded does not represent all Christians.
No, I certainly do not. But then again, there are people who claim it is alright to sodomize a young boy and call themselves Christians. I'm glad I don't represent them.

Well, I personally know this priest, and he doesn't claim it is alright.

Fr Doyle

Originally posted by uiowa08:
If there really is a god in heaven that I will have to stand in front of someday, I am going to have no problem telling him that he gave me no reason to believe in him, and that his system of faith really makes no sense. I will tell him thanks for the gift of reason, but no thanks for making up a system that does not allow me to use it to its fullest. If he damns me to hell, so be it.
This post was edited on 4/1 12:08 AM by uiowa08if(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

applause_2.gif

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Originally posted by fsu1jreed:

Originally posted by uiowa08:
If there really is a god in heaven that I will have to stand in front of someday, I am going to have no problem telling him that he gave me no reason to believe in him, and that his system of faith really makes no sense. I will tell him thanks for the gift of reason, but no thanks for making up a system that does not allow me to use it to its fullest. If he damns me to hell, so be it.

This post was edited on 4/1 12:08 AM by uiowa08
if(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

applause_2.gif

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I second that.

The unfortunate part about this debate is that there is no debate.

Nothing you say or do will change Hounded's mind. No matter how thorough your argument is, there is no logical counterargument to faith. The Bible has perfectly addressed any notion of questioning of faith or individualism of thought or logical reasoning with threats of going to Hell, or the fact that these are simply examples of the Devil testing us. Am I correct Hounded?

But just in case i'm wrong, here are some potential counterarguments for your reading pleasure:

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins
End of Faith by Sam Harris
The Blind Watchmaker by Richard Dawkins
Letter to a Christian Nation by Sam Harris

I'd be interested in you responses to the arguments laid out in these books.

BTW usually when I recommend these books to a person of religion, they usually recommend a book to me....the Bible. I've read it. Still not buying it.

Originally posted by Scothawk:

Nothing you say or do will change Hounded's mind. No matter how thorough your argument is, there is no logical counterargument to faith. The Bible has perfectly addressed any notion of questioning of faith or individualism of thought or logical reasoning with threats of going to Hell, or the fact that these are simply examples of the Devil testing us. Am I correct Hounded?

But just in case i'm wrong, here are some potential counterarguments for your reading pleasure:

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins
End of Faith by Sam Harris
The Blind Watchmaker by Richard Dawkins
Letter to a Christian Nation by Sam Harris

BTW usually when I recommend these books to a person of religion, they usually recommend a book to me....the Bible. I've read it. Still not buying it.

I agree completely. It is just odd that HoundedHawk says all this stuff like he knows god's thoughts.

jrotten666,

I think Hounded's point is that humans don't actually change either without "His" help. So like software not changing if something goes on with it unless a programmer steps in, humans don't either without the "ultimate programmer" stepping in.

Also, 91% believe in God, can this be the end of the horrible attack on religion? Please stop comparing science to religion, it is dishonest.

LOL. Its hilarious to see a dude who used Christs name in vain in a link putting disclaimers on a real Christian.

Where is said link? I honestly cannot think of an instant where I have ever done that. You have confused me with someone else.

You espouse more hate on this board than most, so your opinion means little, if nothing to me.

you responded to a post last week and started it by saying "Christ, ". I didnt save it but responded in the thread and you never returned.

You are correct, I should try and be more Christian. Its odd tho that you would make that statement, as you have lauded yourself and your church for being non judgemental.....

Preachers who represent the hateful fundamentalist, evangelical, end times, Pentacostal, and dominionist franchises of pseudo-Christianity (and others) are the ones misusing God's name. They're selling a mean, small-minded and even dangerous distortion of Jesus's message.

Thinking God would care about a little cussing or an occasional expression of exasperation that references God's name is childishly primitive.

Unfortunately, what we are witnessing in America these last few decades is a progressive dumbing-down, a progressive primitivization of religion - discarding most that is good about religion along the way.

I used to know quite a lot of decent, caring religious people who by their words and deeds gave Christianity a good name. I thought them odd for believing in what was so unlikely to be true, but thought their kindness, tolerance and liberal views quite admirable and, by inference, that Christianity was a respectable philosophy.

Judging by the noise made these days, there aren't a lot of those kinds of Christians in America any more. Or maybe they've just had their heads down. With the result that Christianity - the kind pushed by the phonies I mentioned earlier - has become a religion no longer worthy of respect.

Hounded has consistently shown nothing but disdain for God's world and the logical reasoning that the system of evolution has bestowed upon us. If anyone on this board truely hates God and his creation, it's Hounded. You can see the hatred of God and what he created in every post that Hounded makes. He prefers to take the word of dead men over the word of God, that's his choice I suppose, but not one most thinking people would choose.

Why exactly do you hate God so much Hounded? Why do you trust the word of men more than the word of God that all around you. It's plain to see, written in natural processes, physical laws and wonderous processes like evolution. Why do you hate God?

This post was edited on 4/1 2:01 PM by PhilHartmanif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

you responded to a post last week and started it by saying "Christ, ". I didnt save it but responded in the thread and you never returned.

You are correct, I should try and be more Christian. Its odd tho that you would make that statement, as you have lauded yourself and your church for being non judgemental.....

Not judgmental at all. For someone who talks a good game when it comes to Christianity, you sure carry around a lot of hate for anyone and anything different. That is all. If you feel it was judgmental, maybe you have some work to do?

Originally posted by jrotten666:
In the first place, whether you are speaking about the first life forms coming into being vs. evolution is relevant, because you are speaking about two different things. The birth of the first life forms was not merely the "passing of information". You are trying to combine the two.
No, I'm not really trying to combine the two. The first cell is a complete mystery to evolutionists. I don't even need to go there. Your lucky I didn't bring it into this. They'll never solve that. And I will maintain life is nothing more or less than the passing on information in the code. It's everything. And it's no more likely happening than a hard drive mutating better info.

In the second place, you do not understand computers or software. Software does not "mutate" or replicate itself, even if there is a failure.
You can keep telling yourself whatever about my knowledge of computers. I know what I know and it doesn't matter to me what you think about it. Software certainly mutates. It happens all the time. Haven't you ever had to reload a program?

Also, hardware failures do not duplicate executable code (or even duplicate code unless there is something in the OS that would do so in case of problems). Computers do NOT mutate. If your lucky they just bug out. If not, they outright crash.
Tell me something I don't know. Of course, they don't. Why bring up straw man arguments? I can see this has gone over your head. It's a waste of time.

And your reference to the "next generation of software life" is not analogous to reproduction in the natural world. I gave you the closest example as far as software was concerned.

Says you. Software does mutate and it's passed on to the next boot. I can see you have no answers now. You just say it isn't so, but give no reasons.

I maintain what I said. A DNA code developing is no more likely than Windows Vista forming from a randomly mutating software on an imperfect hard drive.

I'm sure your metaphor goes over well with the google-eyed Jesusites, but some of us know better,.
Ah, ad hominem. I love its validation. It's a sweet smell indeed.

But God does actually require something from us, our worship of Him.
Why are you doing this? Are you expecting me to believe you don't understand the difference between requiring something and needing something?

He doesn't need anything. He just does what is right.

If he just does what is right, then he must have some compelling need to do create such a law. Or is worshipping him a categorical imperative that even transcends God himself?
God is committed to righteousness & justice over all else. He loves it more than anything. And that's why He won't change, or even let Himself off the hook. Thus, He had to become flesh and sacrifice Himself to satisfy it. And God requires our worship because it's also the proper thing to do.

And there are numerous scientists in history who would disagree with you as they studied what they found in God's creation and then made a magnificent contribution from what they've learned.

Oh baloney. Creationism says "This is the truth, now go find support for it." Just like Bush with the Iraq war and WMDs.

That school of thought never cured a disease! It led to opened veins bleeding into bowls and anuses stuffed full of spices in order to cure maladies caused by evil spirits.[/B]
It's an undeniable fact that scientists completely dedicated to creationism have made wonderful contributions. Period.

The concept of Macro Evolution has never produced one single microspeck of any contribution of any conceivable nature to humanity.

I don't think you know what the theory of evolution really is. You've been doing this for years, the straw man thing. Your caricature of evolution is as ludicrous as the Creationist peddler who holds up a picture of a chimp and says "This doesn't look like my grandpa, does it kids?" The theory of evolution simply suggests a biased change in population gene allele frequencies as a function of time in response to selective pressures. That it appears to somehow advance in form or improve life as a function of time is both a coincidence and a gross error in perception.

It's just science. Science solves real problems, and Creationism is not science at all. The next time one of your children gets an infected cut, are you going to pray it away, or "gamble" on antibiotics?[/B]
No, I understand it quite well. Macro evolution has nothing to do with real science. It's just a faith system.

I love science and always will.

Originally posted by DTP2:

What a load of crap! Besides the fact that many believers disagree with you on what God's supposed rules are, it is beyond absurd to think that scientists invented macroevolution just so they could fulfill any desires they may have without any accountability to your god.
No, it's not ludicrous. Freedom from what people perceive as tyranny has always been a strong motivator through history. It's just sad that many people don't see God as the liberator He is.

If they believe God is real, how does convincing others he is not by way of their big lie allow them to avoid god's judgment? I doubt such a being would be fooled.
People fool themselves into believing a lie all the time. Are you this naive?

Furthermore, you didn't tell me why they need to convince me of this "lie" if they need to believe it to fulfill their own desires.
It's like you don't understand the very basics of obtaining power in a democratic system.

I'm an atheist and the things that convince me that your god is imaginery have nothing to do with evolution. And guess what? I'm not out running around breaking all of your god's rules precisely because I have no desire to do so. I don't disbelieve in your god because I want to do all sorts of things that go against his rules.
I think you have lied to yourself. I don't believe you.

If I believed such a being was real and I disagreed with its rules, I'd still follow my own morality. Your god's morality does not trump my own simply because he might squash me like a bug. For example, no matter how many times people like yourself tell me that homosexuality is an abomination to god, I will still never spend one moment bothered it.

Yes, just as I suspected. You're already contradicting your earlier statements. I can easily see how you wanting it your way really does get in the way of believing in God.

Originally posted by Grant Wood:
In church faith trumps reason. Everywhere else its a slam dunk the other way.

Why do you hate people with brains?
It doesn't it mine.

We love people with brains.

You are no person to speak of doing anything due to reason. You are simply a slave of your own passions. You serve them and they make your analytical side its slave.
This post was edited on 4/1 4:11 PM by HoundedHawkif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

Originally posted by nmaddog:

I see I touched nerve with "You go girl." I repent in sack cloth and ashes. You're usually quite civil with me and I don't want to ruin that.

Sorry HH. There are 3 people on this board who chronically engage in unprovoked personal attacks and I make a point not to let their nonsense pass without a counter-attack. You're not one of them. We all let one slip occassionally. And sometimes we forget the smilie to take the sting off our dig. I was just in counter-attack mode from something else and, like Bush/images/smilies/wink.gif fired at the wrong target.
Thank you for the forgiveness.

No, not really. I am constantly being corrected and consider it all a fantastic blessing.

I only wish you people could know me as the true cynic I am of just about anything. I have put biblical morality/principles/ judgments to the strongest tests I can possibly muster. I cannot find a flaw.

If you want to post arguments from them I will respond. But I truly detest "link wars" and don't participate in them.

Originally posted by GoHawkeyes811:
I agree completely. It is just odd that HoundedHawk says all this stuff like he knows god's thoughts.
I believe I do know God's thoughts, but not that I am in some special rapport with deity or have a pipeline to His mind. I repeat what I read in what I believe to be His communication to mankind.

Preachers who represent the hateful fundamentalist, evangelical, end times, Pentacostal, and dominionist franchises of pseudo-Christianity (and others) are the ones misusing God's name. They're selling a mean, small-minded and even dangerous distortion of Jesus's message.
I'm not disagreeing here. But I would like to point out that Jesus' message was quite judgmental and would be considererd vastly negative by listeners today. He put out some doozies like this.

Mt 10:34-36 - ÒDo not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35ÒFor I came to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; 36and a manÕs enemies will be the members of his household.

Thinking God would care about a little cussing or an occasional expression of exasperation that references God's name is childishly primitive.
Wouldn't that depend on what God truly thought about that?

Unfortunately, what we are witnessing in America these last few decades is a progressive dumbing-down, a progressive primitivization of religion - discarding most that is good about religion along the way.
Boy, I don't know. If you think it's bad now, you should have listened to the preaching in the 1800's. It's make us look wimpy.

Judging by the noise made these days, there aren't a lot of those kinds of Christians in America any more. Or maybe they've just had their heads down. With the result that Christianity - the kind pushed by the phonies I mentioned earlier - has become a religion no longer worthy of respect.
I don't think the world minds strict rules. Many are searching for just that. I think it minds hypocrisy more.

Hounded has consistently shown nothing but disdain for God's world and the logical reasoning that the system of evolution has bestowed upon us.
I love God's world. And I love the logic behind it. But I don't like the illogic of macro evolution. I think it's a faith system.

If anyone on this board truely hates God and his creation, it's Hounded. You can see the hatred of God and what he created in every post that Hounded makes.
Wowser. I will go on record saying I love all of God's creation. (OK - I'm not big on brussel sprouts).

He prefers to take the word of dead men over the word of God, that's his choice I suppose, but not one most thinking people would choose.
I am a thinking man. And this thinking man believes God has communicated through His prophets in the past.

Why exactly do you hate God so much Hounded? Why do you trust the word of men more than the word of God that all around you. It's plain to see, written in natural processes, physical laws and wonderous processes like evolution. Why do you hate God?
I strive to love God with all my heart, soul, mind and strength. I believe it is you who hates Him. It seems you can't stand the way He did things and therefore twist other alleged processes into the role of God and worship them instead.

What's the religious/creationist explanation for junk DNA?
That's a great question. I believe that it is not as junky as we think.

Evolution has nothing to do with how life arose. Please learn the difference.
I do know the difference. You know evolutionists sure do spend a lot of time on how life arose though evolution doesn't having anything to do with how life arose.

I do know the difference. You know evolutionists sure do spend a lot of time on how life arose though evolution doesn't having anything to do with how life arose.

And that right there shows you don't know jack-squat about this subject. Species arose through evolution, evolution does not deal with in any shape or form on how life started.

And that right there shows you don't know jack-squat about this subject. Species arose through evolution, evolution does not deal with in any shape or form on how life started.
I know plenty about the subject and I distinctly know the difference. Ad hominem will not help you.

What a load of crap! Besides the fact that many believers disagree with you on what God's supposed rules are, it is beyond absurd to think that scientists invented macroevolution just so they could fulfill any desires they may have without any accountability to your god.
No, it's not ludicrous. Freedom from what people perceive as tyranny has always been a strong motivator through history. It's just sad that many people don't see God as the liberator He is.

If they believe God is real, how does convincing others he is not by way of their big lie allow them to avoid god's judgment? I doubt such a being would be fooled.
People fool themselves into believing a lie all the time. Are you this naive?

Furthermore, you didn't tell me why they need to convince me of this "lie" if they need to believe it to fulfill their own desires.
It's like you don't understand the very basics of obtaining power in a democratic system.

I'm an atheist and the things that convince me that your god is imaginery have nothing to do with evolution. And guess what? I'm not out running around breaking all of your god's rules precisely because I have no desire to do so. I don't disbelieve in your god because I want to do all sorts of things that go against his rules.
I think you have lied to yourself. I don't believe you.

If I believed such a being was real and I disagreed with its rules, I'd still follow my own morality. Your god's morality does not trump my own simply because he might squash me like a bug. For example, no matter how many times people like yourself tell me that homosexuality is an abomination to god, I will still never spend one moment bothered it.

Yes, just as I suspected. You're already contradicting your earlier statements. I can easily see how you wanting it your way really does get in the way of believing in God.

I realize people fool themselves into believing a lie all the time. You are Example A. Even worse, you lie about the motives of your ideological opponents (is that bearing false witness?) in order to advance your beliefs. Based on the things you have said here, apparently the only reason people could disbelieve in your god is so that they would have an excuse to engage in all kinds of "sinful" behavior. This isn't the least bit true and I think you are a liar for arguing otherwise. Furthermore, I did not contradict myself at all. Besides the fact that I have no evidence that your god has handed down any rules (and I doubt any two people agree on what god's rules are), I simply stated that despite being an atheist, I'm not out breaking your god's rules because I don't want to. Therefore, my atheism is clearly not an excuse to do so. However, if I knew your god was real, I still wouldn't allow its morality to trump my own. And my morality does not allow me to honor or respect a being that would sentence a person to hell for an eternity for any reason let alone many of the trivials reasons given for a person deserving such a fate.

I strive to love God with all my heart, soul, mind and strength. I believe it is you who hates Him. It seems you can't stand the way He did things and therefore twist other alleged processes into the role of God and worship them instead.

No, it's clearly you that hate God, you hate that the clues he left us are only for hard working, logical minded scientists and you hate that faith really plays no part in discovering God.In reality, faith is just a way to ignore God.

You'd like them to be for faithful people like yourself because you want the easy answer, and the one that will set you apart from others with less faith.

You remind me of a story about a guy stranded on his roof during a flood...

Once upon a time, a fundamentalist was stranded on a roof during a flood. A man came by in a boat and yelled, "Get in!" The fundamentalist replied, "No thanks! I believe in God, and He will grant me a miracle." Soon the water was up to his waist. Another boat came by. Again he refused help saying God would grant him a miracle. When the water got up to his chest, another boat came. He turned it down, too. "God will grant me a miracle," he said. As the water reached his chin, a helicopter threw down a ladder. But he would not grab it. Choking on the water, he mumbled that God would send him a miracle. A few minutes later, when he arrived at the gates of Heaven, he started to complain that God had let him down and not sent any miracle! But St. Peter cut him off saying: "What are you talking about? We sent you three boats and a helicopter!"

You're the man on the roof, and your pride is stopping you from seeing the truth. God has given us all the reasoning and clues we need to discover him through science, but you refuse to look.

Everytime you get caught up in one of these threads it becomes more and more obvious. You truely hate God. Now granted, you LOVE the Christian myth of a god that requires worship and faith, but that's not the real God, that's the man-made god, the false god.

These threads you start are clearly cries for help, but only you can abandon your man-made myths and truely start seeking to know God.

This post was edited on 4/1 8:12 PM by PhilHartmanif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

Hounded Hawk = 'I love God's world. And I love the logic behind it. But I don't like the illogic of macro evolution. I think it's a faith system.'

Castichawk24 =

If eveolution really happened with the start being lighting and sustances here on earth interacting to create one celled living creatures, then why has science not replicated this in the lab. I am not talking about creating proteins in a dish, why has science not created living cells in dish from nothing?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT