ADVERTISEMENT

Over signing in the SEC

HawkNorth

HR All-State
Nov 24, 2003
The SEC, by over signing players to a LOI, expects a lot of those players through academics, attitude, brushes with the law or lack of playing time to be jettisoned from their programs. What happens to those players? If they are good students and a good players but just not seeing the field, where do they go? If they are good enough to sign with Alabama, Texas A&M or Florida, why don't some of them end up in the B1G, like at Iowa?

So...they do the same thing Iowa does?

Iowa needs more numbers. I always bring up Tennessee but they signed 33 recruits two years ago , 31 made it to campus. Last year they brought in 29. How did those recruits look in their last bowl game ? This with the new 25 per year sec limit (note sarcasm ).

Its a little harder to oversign in the B1G than in the $EC. It's treated differently. Also, does the $EC offer 4 year scholarships yet or is it still 1 yea .

The SEC, by over signing players to a LOI, expects a lot of those players through academics, attitude, brushes with the law or lack of playing time to be jettisoned from their programs. What happens to those players? If they are good students and a good players but just not seeing the field, where do they go? If they are good enough to sign with Alabama, Texas A&M or Florida, why don't some of them end up in the B1G, like at Iowa?
After watching a young, rebuilding 6-6 Tennessee team "speed" you to death I would say you need more SEC caliber players. Seriously though I did enjoy the few Hawk fans I met in Jacksonville...nice people who love their football. From what I have seen of your coach I just don't know if he has the mojo to recruit in the South.

Reactions: funnyfletcher
This premise is a myth. The SEC teams are not allowed to sign more players than B1G schools. Most of LSU players who leave early go to the NFL though about 40% leave for other reasons. LSU has about 3-4 who leave because they don't make the depth chart. Some of these go to smaller programs.

Reactions: Bob Backlund
This premise is a myth. The SEC teams are not allowed to sign more players than B1G schools. Most of LSU players who leave early go to the NFL though about 40% leave for other reasons. LSU has about 3-4 who leave because they don't make the depth chart. Some of these go to smaller programs.

The SEC oversigning myth guy is back. Please google sec oversigning and see what pops up. How was Tennessee able to sign 33 recruits two years ago and 29 last year ? Butch jones said they would sign 35. That decade of national titles was helped nicely by sec oversigning. Supposedly the sec changed it's rules to 25 annual recruits two years ago. I thought that might bring the sec back to the pack and maybe that is already occurring.

Reactions: HobbieHawk
BHGP just posted two articles on this. Iowa has the highest attrition rate in the B1G over the last 4 recruiting classes.
I read that. And so what? We've always had a high rate. From 2002 to 2014 Iowa has a 40% attrition rate and the BT has a 37% rate. That's 1 more player every two years above average. What the rate will be after those classes graduate is the important stat. BHGP has Ferentz Fatigue and citing misleading statistics is a symptom of what ails them.

The issue seems to come down to how ruthless the coach wishes to be with players that cannot help the team. The degrees of ruthlessness vary and I'm not going to sit here and tell you it doesn't happen with every school, but I am going to tell you the SEC is much better at cutting the dead weight and freeing up those scholarships for the next group of potential stars. Would you disagree?

Reactions: Daggerfoot
So what, even if Iowa did over sign it would be like 7 or 8 more 2 star or unrated guys and 2 three star guys.

Fellas we don't recruit well period.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT