ADVERTISEMENT

PG will be critical in the next class,

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
Who do we have the best shot of landing? Moore, Walker, Simpson?

Walkers video really impresses me.

I think I read the same thing last year about this year's class. I really like this class but I think Fran missed on both a true center and a pg, which were needed.

I think I read the same thing last year about this year's class. I really like this class but I think Fran missed on both a true center and a pg, which were needed.

Wrong. No super blue chip pg is going to come in and ride the bench for a year.

A few thoughts.

It is May 10th. Point guard, post, any position, we're going to see prospects come and go like a Going Out of Business Used Car Sales Lot. So is just about every college basketball program in Division One except for the very few elites. And even they still have to wrestle with each other for the cream of the crop. Look at this Painter kid we like out of Hershey, twenty-three offers so far! This is the nature of the recruiting game. One might as well have a big "MISSES RECRUITS" tattoo put on EVERY coach, for all the real accuracy of it.

We brought a point guard in last year, Trey Dickerson. He didn't work out. That too happens. In the next class, we brought in Christian Williams and everybody pretty much knows we're looking at playing him at point. To a lesser degree, Andrew Fleming can handle the ball at point if we are willing to trust McCaffery well enough to believe it. For me, that trust has been earned in the past five years.

Is Iowa perfect? Could we have used another post player in the 2015 class? No, Iowa isn't perfect and yes we could have used a post. We didn't get one and in the end McCaffery decided to go with talent by offering Dale Jones and Coach Fran has said we'll play three forwards this year when Woodbury sits.

As to next season, we might find ourselves starting a freshman big, maybe even a freshman point guard. If we do it will be much like 2012/13 when we started Gesell and Woodbury. We won twenty-five games that year and I have a feeling that Iowa will be much stronger across the board than we were that year. I like that we've got a very athletic group coming in with the 2015 freshmen. I like Pemsl. And I'm sure we'll get more talent even as the parade of "misses" gives many fans the hives.

We're fine. Perfect? No. But who is? This is supposed to be part of the fun of college basketball. Teams change every year. You take your best shot, get what you can, and make the most of them.

What's the alternative? To decide for some uncertain reason that Iowa is somehow the lowest of the low as far as destinations for a basketball player? Or McCaffery and staff, as hard as they work, are horrible salesmen? It's true Iowa has some natural handicaps. We're in a state with the second lowest population of all schools in the Big Ten. We're just coming off a generation of bad basketball. But we're far from entirely deficient, totally defunct. The program is thriving again having finished tied for third in the league and competing in the NCAA.

We're in great shape. It will be hard, I know, for some to handle the upcoming ride called recruiting. I'm not saying this to start an argument, but we're going to miss on far more players than we get. Again, that's the way it works.

Any of the 3 are more than capable. Moore dropped 49 in a game a couple weeks ago.

AAU ball rarely is about defense. The fact that Charlie Moore has a very slight build and is, at best, 5'8" does not bother you. Dean Oliver was 5'10" and he had a hard time his first two years. Charlie may have foot speed but how will adjust to D-1 ball is a critical question to pose when selecting a PG. One conditioning year will not be enough to make CM a starting PG for the B1G. I'd prefer a more physical guard.

Tony Carr is probably not the 6'5" list but 6'3"+ and a bit of a late bloomer who could become quite a leader. After Carr, Simpson is my #2 wish list PG for now with Micah Bradford #3.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...a__first_team__Tony_Carr__Roman_Catholic.html

I agree we need to get a good point guard and we have loads of time to do so. In the meantime we are going to have the athletes we need to get the ball up the court. You won't play for Fran if you don't listen. You won't play if you can't learn the offense and you won't play if you don't make some effort on defense. Sometimes when players leave, it is because they cannot or will not do these things.

Yes, Iowa needs a guy to play the point in this class. But I do hope I can land PF Tyler Cook and C/PF Dylan Painter as Iowa needs some goal protectors in the paint. Painter demonstrates a little outside game and that could free up the paint when his man has to go out to challenge his shot. Cook looks to dunk and control the boards and his vertical ability and size more than compensates for the height advantage the Rakocevic may offer. Cook seems to be a bigger version of Basabe and probably better in many aspects.

Wrong. No super blue chip pg is going to come in and ride the bench for a year.

Fran took Williams, hoping he will develop into a future PG, or at least a combo guard. With the 2015 class in the books, I agree that we need both a center and a true PG in the next class. Ideally, both will be good enough to step right into the rotation, because there will be a lot of minutes that need to be filled at both positions.

There are many good reasons to be optimistic. The lack of interior size and strength when Woodbury is on the bench is a huge concern. The fact that no one has shown any consistent shooting skill is a huge concern. But, McCaffery's teams have improved from year to year and finished strong every season but 2014. The seniors have played like starving lycans every season but the stretch drive in 14.

Lot of new faces and a lot to anticipate.

Who do we have the best shot of landing? Moore, Walker, Simpson?

Walkers video really impresses me.
It would probablybe good if you can get one of them but I don't see PG as a desperate need. From what I read Williams can play point. Fleming in an interview said he was told he would play some backup point. I watched a video of Moss and it looked like he was playing point and he was doing a very good job of it.

Last edited:
I like the way Charlie Moore plays and I think Fran has a real solid shot at landing him.

It would probably good if you can get one of them but I don't see PG as a desperate need. From what I read Williams can play point. Fleming in an interview said he was told he would play some backup point. I watched a video of Moss and it looked like he was playing point and he was doing a very good job of it.

Respectfully, if Fran didn't think PG was a need in 2016, then he wouldn't have put out so many offers to PGs already.

We have no idea how any of the young kids are going to do. We don't know who will play, we don't know who will redshirt, we have no clue how the kids are going to stack up. None. We will find out soon enough.

Respectfully, if Fran didn't think PG was a need in 2016, then he wouldn't have put out so many offers to PGs already.

+1 Williams is a hope, but definitely has potential at PG. Fleming has some ball handling skills, but he does not have the quickness needed to be a quality PG from what I have seen. I am not so sure about Moss, but he clearly seems to be a 2G coming in. I am not knocking any of these players, but Fran will almost certainly land a true PG in this class. I also will be surprised if we don't land a 4/5, in addition to Pemsl. Let's hope he can get a good PG and Center, because there are a lot of options at the 2, 3 and 4 already.

Reactions: FSHawkeye87
I like the way Charlie Moore plays and I think Fran has a real solid shot at landing him.

I completely agree. He is the only one currently not ranked in the Rivals Top 150, but I would not doubt if he ends up there as reports are he has played extremely well on the AAU Circuit so far. Also, in an interview a few weeks ago, he stated that Iowa was the only school so far that he would "definitely" visit. That was before Memphis offered, however, so who knows.

I'd be perfectly content with a PG, Santos and Cook/Rakocevic. In fact, I'd be more than content, I'd be pretty freaking excited.

Reactions: bjensen42
I don't think it was such a good idea for Fleming to go to Oak Hill. How many minutes a game did he get?

I don't think it was such a good idea for Fleming to go to Oak Hill. How many minutes a game did he get?

Fleming played about half the game, but he played twice as many games as a normal high school kid. And, he played against top competition in all games and all practices.

Not sure why you think it was a bad idea for Fleming to go to Oak Hill. As already mentioned he got far more exposure to top level ball players and higher levels of team competition. Other than having to play alongside Dwayne(Ballhog)Bacon I can't see a whole lot of negatives. When watching him play last season he seemed to be one of the more well rounded players they had. Not real flashy but very solid in all aspects.

That said i don't think there is any way he plays point guard in his career at Iowa.

Fran will get his traditional style point guard in this class, you can count on it.

AAU ball rarely is about defense. The fact that Charlie Moore has a very slight build and is, at best, 5'8" does not bother you. Dean Oliver was 5'10" and he had a hard time his first two years. Charlie may have foot speed but how will adjust to D-1 ball is a critical question to pose when selecting a PG. One conditioning year will not be enough to make CM a starting PG for the B1G. I'd prefer a more physical guard.

Tony Carr is probably not the 6'5" list but 6'3"+ and a bit of a late bloomer who could become quite a leader. After Carr, Simpson is my #2 wish list PG for now with Micah Bradford #3.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...a__first_team__Tony_Carr__Roman_Catholic.html
Not to nitpick, but Dean Oliver was excellent both as a freshman and as a sophomore.

Kurt, Uthoff shot only .430 from the field and .727 from the line. Very average for a forward, although his .372 from 3 is a little better than average. Uthoff finished stronger than he started so the trend line to consistency is up but he'll need to be a lot more consistent next year. I think he will and will average more than 17 points a game.

Dog, I wasn't bashing what you said at all. I was always comfortable with JU shooting when ever he could, just seemed as he had the best chance of making it. I'm with you and think he's gonna have a heck of a year, just wished he would have started out at iowa so we could have had him 4 years.

ADVERTISEMENT