Aug 10, 2006
Linked below. Iowa players:

Blythe (C) 2nd Team
Smith (WR) 3rd Team
Duzey (TE) 4th Team

Ott (DE) 2nd Team
King (DB) 3rd Team
Lomax (DB) 4th Team

No Iowa players made an All-BIG Special Team.

My opinion: King and Lomax should be ranked higher. Not sure if Duzey was discounted because of injury; he is probably 2nd Team TE if healthy. A case can be made for Walsh (OG) and Koehn (K). Let's hope the post-season teams include players like Beathard, Boettger, Canzeri, J.Johnson, Niemann, and Jewell

http://www.philsteele.com/All_Conference/2015/2015 Preseason/BigTen.html

nu2me, amirite?

haha good one:)

In my defense, I just searched back 9 pages on this forum, back to around the Spring game, and did not see a topic listed on this subject. On June 11 Blair Sanderson posted a similar topic concerning Athlon's pre-season picks but no mention of Steele anywhere. So yeah, nu2me.

King had a quieter sophomore season or so it seemed. I think teams tried to stay away from him a bit more similar to Amari Spievey in 2009.
He does still need to show progress. Can't just live off the hype from his freshman season. And nothing is set until the games are played.

Blythe, Ott, - 1st
Smith, King, Koehn - 2nd
CJ, Lomax, Jewell, Niemann-3rd
J. Johnson, Duzey, Walsh - 4th

Blythe, Ott, - 1st
Smith, King, Koehn - 2nd
CJ, Lomax, Jewell, Niemann-3rd
J. Johnson, Duzey, Walsh - 4th
Ott will have a better season than Bosa and Calhoun? It would be great if he did, but that is a high hill to climb to get over those two proven studs...Ott is in the same group as Dean Lowery and J. Ward. A tier below the elite players listed above. He is a good/solid player. Not in the same class as Calhoun and Bosa. Both of those guys are expected to be top 25 picks, correct?

Ott was neck and neck for a while there last year but we started tapering off as a team down the stretch. Meanwhile Bosa was winning a national title.

If he can be more consistent, as well as the team (I know, LOL right?), then I think he could compete for 1st team.

Ott was neck and neck for a while there last year but we started tapering off as a team down the stretch. Meanwhile Bosa was winning a national title.

If he can be more consistent, as well as the team (I know, LOL right?), then I think he could compete for 1st team.
Shillique Calhoun is a 2 time 2nd team All American and a 2 time first team all B10 player. Like I said, Ott has a high hill to climb to get over guys like Bosa and Calhoun. Ott is in the 2nd tier of B10 DE's. The first team is made up of proven elite players. I'm not downplaying Drew Ott's abilities. He is just not better than those two players.

Ott will be an early 2nd round draft pick. Our Def this year will put opponents offense in 2nd and 3rd and long. He'll pin his ears back and get 13-15 sacks. Plus we don't have all those high round rb's to worry about.

Ott will be an early 2nd round draft pick. Our Def this year will put opponents offense in 2nd and 3rd and long. He'll pin his ears back and get 13-15 sacks. Plus we don't have all those high round rb's to worry about.
Ok. Is he better than Bosa and Calhoun? These two are predicted to be picked ahead of Ott. Which of these two will Ott bypass to earn first team all B10 honors this year?

[QUOTE="SigMaintHawk, post: 521943, member: 7268"]Ok. Is he better than Bosa and Calhoun? These two are predicted to be picked ahead of Ott. Which of these two will Ott bypass to earn first team all B10 honors this year?[/QUOTE]

Not close. No offense to the
player but not close

Looking at his all Big 1G players is no surprise. As you know, this year's Big 1G has plenty of talent. Iowa's players are marked where they deserve to be marked. Now pardon me...I am sipping coffee.

If you are going off of NFL potential yes Calhoun is above Ott but Ott had a better season than Calhoun last year statistics wise. He had a lot more tackles and he had the same amount of sacks, same amount of tackles for loss but Ott had an interception and blocked a punt which he returned for a TD. Calhoun also benefits from playing on a more aggressive defense where they go after the QB more.
Now Bosa is a different story. He is just a beast.

Ott was second team all big ten last year by the media so definitely can get first team if he has another great year.

Ok. Is he better than Bosa and Calhoun? These two are predicted to be picked ahead of Ott. Which of these two will Ott bypass to earn first team all B10 honors this year?

He doesn't have to be better than them to go on the first team. They pick four dlineman. so they could all be on there together. Last year Gregory was on the first team with Bosa and Calhoun.

Early 2nd round pick....LOL

The BIG difference is the Iowa off-season. Ott was pissed as heck on how the season ended. He's been a man on a mission since the bowl game. Bosa and Calhoun have been reading that they are top draft picks and All B1G and All American. See our DT last season. Save this post and we'll see come December.

If you are going off of NFL potential yes Calhoun is above Ott but Ott had a better season than Calhoun last year statistics wise. He had a lot more tackles and he had the same amount of sacks, same amount of tackles for loss but Ott had an interception and blocked a punt which he returned for a TD. Calhoun also benefits from playing on a more aggressive defense where they go after the QB more.
Now Bosa is a different story. He is just a beast.

Ott was second team all big ten last year by the media so definitely can get first team if he has another great year.

MSU had a better offense than Iowa and a better defense. Sparty's defense got stops, whereas Iowa's couldn't which led to Ott being on the field more than Calhoun. It's my guess. Also, no I don't think Ott will be a second rounder, possibly a 3rd or 4th.

I never bought into Carl Davis being a first round pick either. That was just fanaticism.

I think Davis could have been a first round pick but he didn't play nearly consistent enough. If he went as hard as LTP every play he might have been a first rounder.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT