ADVERTISEMENT

Pleeassse not Rick Heller!

May 25, 2013
We don't want a coach looking for a retirement party! There is a reason why we didn't want him 10 years ago or last week! He interviewed 2 weeks ago and The committee/ad decided to offer others the job after that! We shouldn't go back to him now! I know there are a couple younger guys who are great coaches wanting the job! We need young energy! We need someone who is prepared to work hard and willing to put in the time here at Iowa to turn this program around.

You are funny - that SHOULD have been the hire 10 years ago....you are saying you were happy with Dahm? Look at Heller's record since that time! He has a lot of years left in him, has won at every level! Great recruiter, game coach, and person. I've watched him from his days at UIU, you are uninformed or just haven't been paying attention!

Great recruiter? Didn't win at UNI.... Won with meggs players at ISU... His assistant at Indiana State was arrested for picking up a prostitute on a recruiting trip in a school car and he didn't fire him! That speaks for his morals! Do I need to continue to point out why maybe we passed on him again a couple weeks ago! You can say I'm wrong but misinformed I'm not!

How old is Heller? Last I saw him was several years ago at the Corridor Classic, I'd have put him at mid-late 30's

I remember hearing that after Heller interviewed at Iowa Dahm called him making small talk about his interview with and asked what was all asked etc. Dahm then interviewed at Iowa shortly after without Heller knowing.

I agree Heller should have been hired the last go around. What he did at UNI special. Also he has done things at every stop that has shown he can win with the hand he would be delt from day one at Iowa (budget, facilities etc).
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Hope - live in facts....he WON at UNI throughout, has won at Indiana St. both to NCAA regionals. What has Dahm done? Why did Iowa pass on him? No idea....but history has proven...it was WRONG choice. Would like to understand your logic on why not. Dahm really panned out didn't he? While Heller went to tournament with UNI and ISU. Good try.

I hope it's Heller! Instant respectability, getting quality recruits, a proven track record and an energy in the program. Hope - you can't argue records, Heller has won twice in a conference that is tougher then the big 10. I really question your logic...you'd not want someone that has won at UNI and ISU..in a conference that is way better then the Big 10 in baseball???? You have a bone to pick for some reason, let's get it out on here and discuss. You can't argue W/L and conference? What else you got to hang your hat on?

I think Heller is the ONE guy that understands 100% what its going to take to win at a place like Iowa. I would feel very comfortable with him as head coach.

Originally posted by hope4thehawks:
Great recruiter? Didn't win at UNI....

Uhhhh..wut? No. Yes...I am calling you misinformed.

Iowa is finally righting a wrong from 10 years ago. Rick is the man. Good hire.

We don't want a coach looking for a retirement party! There is a reason why we didn't want him 10 years ago or last week! He interviewed 2 weeks ago and The committee/ad decided to offer others the job after that! We shouldn't go back to him now! I know there are a couple younger guys who are great coaches wanting the job! We need young energy! We need someone who is prepared to work hard and willing to put in the time here at Iowa to turn this program around.
Age 49 is looking for a retirement party? Tell that to Fran.

You just might be..................delusional.

This is a great hire; one that should have happened ten years ago.

From what I understand--in addition to being a great game coach, he'll keep the best Iowa kids home. Something that JD didn't do consistently.

Originally posted by cruhawk:

From what I understand--in addition to being a great game coach, he'll keep the best Iowa kids home. Something that JD didn't do consistently.
Not according to the Nebby board, it's just a "meh" hire and the best baseball coach ever Darin Erstad will still "pluck" whatever Iowa kids he wants.

Originally posted by IowaHawkeyeFBnBB4Life:

Originally posted by cruhawk:

Not according to the Nebby board, it's just a "meh" hire and the best baseball coach ever Darin Erstad will still "pluck" whatever Iowa kids he wants.
If that were ever true (I doubt it was), it will end with this hire.

I hope so, but keeping top the notch players in Iowa is a crap shoot. I have always thought that the top Iowa high school baseball players could be divided into 3 groups: Those that get drafted and go pro, those that get selected by top Southern schools and go there, and the rest. Of "the rest" some get picked by other schools. Not much left. Iowa picks from these.

Originally posted by Section8:
I hope so, but keeping top the notch players in Iowa is a crap shoot. I have always thought that the top Iowa high school baseball players could be divided into 3 groups: Those that get drafted and go pro, those that get selected by top Southern schools and go there, and the rest. Of "the rest" some get picked by other schools. Not much left. Iowa picks from these.
From what I hear about Heller, he's the kind of coach who could cut into all three of those categories. Actually, there should be a fourth category---include one with Iowa kids who get drafted and are actually ready to go pro. Not everyone who gets drafted is really ready to go pro. There have been Iowa kids who've gone pro out of high school, but probably shouldn't have when they did because they weren't ready (eg Loveless). They may think twice if Iowa's program becomes good enough to give them a good alternative. There have been Iowa kids who've gone to out-of-state programs, including "top Southern schools"; same situation with them. Lately, the Iowa program hasn't been good enough to even be in the mix with those caliber of players--Iowa kids or not. Will Heller get them all? No. But he will get a lot more them than coaches before him--esp Dahm--did.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT