ADVERTISEMENT

post a little known iowa football fact

You have an interesting view of history. It may be right. I have no idea. It is not consistent with biographies of the Burlington men who first used the name, but biographies can be mistaken.
The "last of the Mohicans does not refer to Uncas. It refers to Chingachkook (sorry for the spelling). Uncas would have been the last, but he assumed room temperature while his father was still alive, hence Dad was the last of the tribe.
Nathaniel Bumppo was, indeed, a white guy. Iowa sports fans who claim him as their role model and hero should realize they are lauding an illiterate, unwashed man who participated in mass slaughter of native Americans based on their tribal affiliation. No big deal.
Losing your touch, LC. Usually you are more subtle in your misconstruals.
First, whether the overview I laid out is "interesting" it is the standard commonplace view of historians who are focused on the period from the War of 1812 to the outset of the Civil War. I hesitate to assume that mutual defense of one newspaperman for even those of a bitterly partisan era when truth was not taeken seriously is enough to push you to ludicrous notions about the political polemics of a century ago.
Secondly, the Mohicans are a creation of Cooper: he chose to have Chingachgook killed by the Huron villain in the ambush at the waterfalls when the girls were taken prisoner. Since Cooper subsequently had Uncas rescue them, he meant for his storyline to leave Uncas the Last of the Mohicans. But it is only story telling, and you certainly are free to create your own version.
Third, Bumppo is just a character in the Cooper trilogy, and as fictional as a Republicvan balanced budget.
But as Cooper creates him, there is NO suggestion ever that he is illiterate or unsanitary in his personal hygiene. More importantly, there IS NO mention anywhere that he "participated in mass slaughter of native Americans: Cooper has him only serving as a scout to colonial & English troops fighting the French army and its Huron mercenaries from Canada---and Bumppo/Hawkeye joins the combat only in defense after French & Huron ambush.
It would be sad if after all the years of fighting th good fight you were to fall to the Gazette's standard of accuracy.

Hawkeye QB Randall "Hughie" Duncan is the only first pick in the NFL draft who never played in the NFL.

Three of the first four Heisman Trophy winners were from Iowa, but only one of them played for an Iowa university: Nile Kinnick (the first winner Jay Berswanger played for the U of Chicago, the second, Wally Frank, played for Minnesota. Kinnick was sort of the "least" Iowan, moving into the state from Nebraska for high school.

Evy once urged his players to engage in a brawl during a game against Illinois shortly after he became coach, to instill a fighting spirit in them. So they DID. Huge fight on the field as a result.

Not exactly.

The top HS basketball tandem in the Midwest in 1951 was Clarence "Deacon" Davis and Carl "Sugar" Cain of Rockford, Ill. Combes, the Illini coach, said he would not have "colored boys" on his team (the irony is that just four years earlier Illinois upped its bid to $25,000 over Southern Cal's mere twenty grand to get ex-GI & Illini All-American Buddy Young back to Champaign. Young, an African-American from Chicago's South Side had won FB & hoops titles for Illinois during WW2, and would lead Illinois to dominate the Big Ten in football, be a top competitor in basketball from 1946 to 1949).

Combes' racial rejection was a chance of the proverbial lifetime to the new Hawkeye coach, Bucky O'Connor. The HS coach in Boone, Iowa he tagged along with his star player, Pinky Clifton, to coach the Iowa freshmen in 1948-49. When Iowa Coach Pops Harrison was literally too drunk to stand up at game time a year later, O'Connor was instant coach. O'Connor knew that the way to get Cain, his primary target, was to bring Davis to Iowa as the first step to building his Fabulous Five. He was sure that Iowa HS stars Bill Logan of Keokuk and Hugh Leffingwell of Marion would commit: the key step was to get Cain, and that was the leverage to get Bill Seaberg & Bill Scheuerman from the Quad Cities.

It worked beautifully and pretty smoothly for everyone---everyone but Deacon Davis who took a year of extreme verbal abuse, threats, racial slurs, barrages of fruit & more dangerous thrown objects throughout his senior HS season.

But that October, BT football champion Illini were due to play In Iowa Stadium. And for weeks that Autumn Iowa students prepared (in that era, students got free tickets to all athletic events; the rub was that only about 5000 seats were set aside as the student section when enrollment was over 10,000; so you were at the gate when it opened at 9 AM for the 1:30 game time, keeping warm by means of five or six flasks of bourbon, brandy, rum). For Illinois you brought a knapsack of ammunition. Still, things did not get out of hand until the second half. The Illini, frustrated by surprisingly competitive Hawkeyes, went from physical to dirty----all the signal needed for onslaughts of tomatos & overripe apples, etc followed by charges into the Illlnois seating at the Southeast corner of the stadium.

But the carnage never spilled onto the field. Neither Iowa nor Illini players were involved in the fights. And neither Evy or AD Paul Brechlet did anything to encourage the outburst. The more significant truth, however, is that neither did anything to prevent it or halt it. The next morning a telephone conference call to all the BT schools resulted in a decision that Iowa-Illinois games ---FOOTBALL ONLY --- were suspended indefinitely.

The suspension lasted seventeen years. It proved more painful to Iowa, since for 12 or so years the Hawkeyes were on the rise to multiple national rankings, and several titles & bowl victories----including midway through Iowa's only #1 national ranking in 1958. The Illini, in contrast, were bottom feeders for a decade until 1964.

Last edited:
Another notable Hawkeye fact, though not quite correct. Evy was still the coach recruiting Sayers from Boys Town. And Gale Sayers had his heart set on becoming the next great Iowa RB, but Evy had two other recruiting he liked better. But he was so impressed with Sayers as a model youngster that he talked to the coach at Kansas, sold hin on Sayers, and as they say, the rest of the story is HOF college & pro. Sayers was so smitten with the Iowa campus that he returned here for summers while at KU, and later opened an auto dealership in Iowa City...which he kept for the next thirty years.

IIRC correctly, Jerry Burns was a strong advocate for giving Sayers the Hawkeye jersey he wanted so much.
Yes and no, Tigger. Mostly no.

Sayers went to Omaha Central, not Boys Town.

His visit to Iowa City was in his senior year of high school. He graduated high school in 1961. Evy's last year as head coach at Iowa was 1960. Jerry Burns was the head coach-designate when Sayers visited.

He wanted to play for Iowa, but he visited Iowa City the same weekend as Henry Carr from Detroit, and the coaches spent all their time on Carr, virtually ignoring Sayers. This pissed him off, and he went to Kansas. (Carr went to Arizona State, where he was an all-American in both football as a wide receiver and in track. He later won two Olympic gold medals, the 200 and a relay).

I have never heard about any connection to Chezik-Sayers, or any other car dealership in Iowa City. That may be true, but his various biographies mention a number of business interests and car dealerships isn't one of them.

An interesting note is that Sayers originally committed to Clay Stapleton at Iowa State, according to a story in the Omaha World-Herald. But in those days, it wasn't unusual for a recruit to say he was going to attend whatever the last school he visited happened to have been. Sayers signed 17 letters of intent.....obviously, the LOI was not the same as the one in force today. I don't think Iowa was one of them, but it might have been. In any case, there's no doubt he wanted to be a Hawkeye at the time of his visit there.

I saw Sayers in person once, when KU beat ISU at Ames my freshman year there. He was good.

An excellent source for true information about Gale Sayers is his autobiography, "I Am Third," which was the basis for the TV movie "Brian's Song."

Losing your touch, LC. Usually you are more subtle in your misconstruals.
First, whether the overview I laid out is "interesting" it is the standard commonplace view of historians who are focused on the period from the War of 1812 to the outset of the Civil War. I hesitate to assume that mutual defense of one newspaperman for even those of a bitterly partisan era when truth was not taeken seriously is enough to push you to ludicrous notions about the political polemics of a century ago.
Secondly, the Mohicans are a creation of Cooper: he chose to have Chingachgook killed by the Huron villain in the ambush at the waterfalls when the girls were taken prisoner. Since Cooper subsequently had Uncas rescue them, he meant for his storyline to leave Uncas the Last of the Mohicans. But it is only story telling, and you certainly are free to create your own version.
Third, Bumppo is just a character in the Cooper trilogy, and as fictional as a Republicvan balanced budget.
But as Cooper creates him, there is NO suggestion ever that he is illiterate or unsanitary in his personal hygiene. More importantly, there IS NO mention anywhere that he "participated in mass slaughter of native Americans: Cooper has him only serving as a scout to colonial & English troops fighting the French army and its Huron mercenaries from Canada---and Bumppo/Hawkeye joins the combat only in defense after French & Huron ambush.
It would be sad if after all the years of fighting th good fight you were to fall to the Gazette's standard of accuracy.
First, I said nothing about your superfluous recitation of the chief's life and times;
Second, I realize "The Last of the Mohicans" is fiction;
Third, it's been forever since I read it, so I may well have been misremembering the end and basing my comment on the end of the movie -- which is one hell of a good movie, with a great score -- in which case, my bad;
Fourth, thank you for giving me permission to poke fun at Iowa by exaggerating the characteristics of a nonexistent character.

In Iowa their worst fears came true. A state patrolman turned on his flasher and motioned their speeding car to the highway shoulder. Jack didn't give the trooper a chance to walk to the van. He swung open the van door and sprinted back to the patrol car.

"Sorry, officer, I guess I got a little excited about Iowa winning today. That was some game.."

"You're an Iowa fan?" The trooper seemed doubtful. "Those are out of state tags you got there."

"Hey, I'm just a football fan. No matter where I go I love to listen to football." Jack blabbered on. "You wouldn't give a speeding ticket to a football fan, would you? That would be kind of anti-American."

The trooper grinned. He was feeling good. Iowa had been a 21-point underdog in its win over UCLA. "I'll let you off easy this time but be careful when you cross the border into Nebraska. They got upset by Wisconsin, you know." He put his ticket away without inspecting the van.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/guerrilla/filmmore/ps_stone.html

First, I said nothing about your superfluous recitation of the chief's life and times;
Second, I realize "The Last of the Mohicans" is fiction;
Third, it's been forever since I read it, so I may well have been misremembering the end and basing my comment on the end of the movie -- which is one hell of a good movie, with a great score -- in which case, my bad;
Fourth, thank you for giving me permission to poke fun at Iowa by exaggerating the characteristics of a nonexistent character.

The old "misremembering" defense. Translation = I made stuff up / lied thinking no one will call me out - OOPS. If I've seen it once..................

The old "misremembering" defense. Translation = I made stuff up / lied thinking no one will call me out - OOPS. If I've seen it once..................
Bullshit. In fact, I'm giving Tigger the benefit of the doubt, assuming he remembers the book better than I do. In the movie, Uncas is killed and his Dad survives. That's what I based my comment upon. I hadn't realized they had made that dramatic a change in the story.

And in fact, I just checked, and it turns out it was Tigger, not I, who misremembered the end. In the book, as in the movie, it is not Uncas, but his father, Chingachook, who is the title character.

So........, since apparently mistakes don't occur in your world, were you lying in your post, or just writing out of ignorance?

Iowa has played in two of Florida's coldest bowl games in history. Florida vs Iowa in the 1983 Gator Bowl...Georgia Tech vs Iowa in the 2010 Orange Bowl.
Yours truly attended both of these games. I was in 3rd grade in 1983...still remember that game. Tough loss to the gutters.

• Iowa's football stadium is named after Nike Kinnick Jr. His father, Nike Kinnick Sr., graduated from Iowa State.
  • Iowa State's football stadium from 1915 through 1975 is named after Clyde Williams. Clyde Williams was an All-American quarterback at the University of Iowa.

• Iowa's football stadium is named after Nike Kinnick Jr. His father, Nike Kinnick Sr., graduated from Iowa State.
  • Iowa State's football stadium from 1915 through 1975 is named after Clyde Williams. Clyde Williams was an All-American quarterback at the University of Iowa.

Wow, I never knew that. I had to go to Clyde Williams' Wikipedia page as I couldn't believe I had never heard anything about this before.

When Iowa initially lined up for the most famous FG in Hawkeye history, against #2 Michigan in 1985, the tee was placed only 6 yards behind the LOS (they could use a tee back then for FG). They noticed the error only when UM called a TO to ice the kicker, Rob Houghtlin. The tee was moved back another yard to the correct distance, Houghtlin made the kick and...history.
I was at that game in the tunnel directly behind the goal posts. It's a long story I've told before, but I won't bore you with the details. I've always claimed I caught the winning FG (which I didn't).

Reactions: cohawk
Gail Sayers owned a minority share in the car dealership but also did signings there from time to time.

How many other college stadiums were fans able to arrive by passenger trains right to the stadium? The number of trains also had to be very numerous until the early 70s.

It is truly unknown how many years KF has left at Iowa.

I heard that Knute Rockne was about to board a train for Iowa City to become the Head Hawkeye when Notre Dame boosters stopped him and wouldn't let him leave.

The Knute Rockne story was he indeed did interview to become Iowas head coach...it appears that is as far as it had gotten. Rockne insisted on secrecy about the interview and possible Iowa offer. Seems like Iowa really screwed the pooch on that deal. The following is a telegram Rockne sent to Iowa.

“BELTING AND FIESLER [medical supervisor in athletics and
a key negotiator in the affair] BOTH PROMISED ABSOLUTELY
NO PUBLICITY. MY DUTY NOW LIES HERE. FURTHER
DISCUSSION IS USELESS. I VOLUNTARILY SIGNED NEW
TEN YEAR AGREEMENT ON SAME TERMS AS PAST AND
WHOLE MATTER IS NOW CLOSED. GOOD LUCK.

K.K. Rockne"

Reactions: VicHawkeye
2 years ago Iowa played LSU in a bowl game that lead the Nation in Draft picks with 9.
A year later they played Tennessee that for the first time in 50 years did not have a draft pick.

Not exactly.

The top HS basketball tandem in the Midwest in 1951 was Clarence "Deacon" Davis and Carl "Sugar" Cain of Rockford, Ill. Combes, the Illini coach, said he would not have "colored boys" on his team (the irony is that just four years earlier Illinois upped its bid to $25,000 over Southern Cal's mere twenty grand to get ex-GI & Illini All-American Buddy Young back to Champaign. Young, an African-American from Chicago's South Side had won FB & hoops titles for Illinois during WW2, and would lead Illinois to dominate the Big Ten in football, be a top competitor in basketball from 1946 to 1949).

Combes' racial rejection was a chance of the proverbial lifetime to the new Hawkeye coach, Bucky O'Connor. The HS coach in Boone, Iowa he tagged along with his star player, Pinky Clifton, to coach the Iowa freshmen in 1948-49. When Iowa Coach Pops Harrison was literally too drunk to stand up at game time a year later, O'Connor was instant coach. O'Connor knew that the way to get Cain, his primary target, was to bring Davis to Iowa as the first step to building his Fabulous Five. He was sure that Iowa HS stars Bill Logan of Keokuk and Hugh Leffingwell of Marion would commit: the key step was to get Cain, and that was the leverage to get Bill Seaberg & Bill Scheuerman from the Quad Cities.

It worked beautifully and pretty smoothly for everyone---everyone but Deacon Davis who took a year of extreme verbal abuse, threats, racial slurs, barrages of fruit & more dangerous thrown objects throughout his senior HS season.

But that October, BT football champion Illini were due to play In Iowa Stadium. And for weeks that Autumn Iowa students prepared (in that era, students got free tickets to all athletic events; the rub was that only about 5000 seats were set aside as the student section when enrollment was over 10,000; so you were at the gate when it opened at 9 AM for the 1:30 game time, keeping warm by means of five or six flasks of bourbon, brandy, rum). For Illinois you brought a knapsack of ammunition. Still, things did not get out of hand until the second half. The Illini, frustrated by surprisingly competitive Hawkeyes, went from physical to dirty----all the signal needed for onslaughts of tomatos & overripe apples, etc followed by charges into the Illlnois seating at the Southeast corner of the stadium.

But the carnage never spilled onto the field. Neither Iowa nor Illini players were involved in the fights. And neither Evy or AD Paul Brechlet did anything to encourage the outburst. The more significant truth, however, is that neither did anything to prevent it or halt it. The next morning a telephone conference call to all the BT schools resulted in a decision that Iowa-Illinois games ---FOOTBALL ONLY --- were suspended indefinitely.

The suspension lasted seventeen years. It proved more painful to Iowa, since for 12 or so years the Hawkeyes were on the rise to multiple national rankings, and several titles & bowl victories----including midway through Iowa's only #1 national ranking in 1958. The Illini, in contrast, were bottom feeders for a decade until 1964.
Freeport, Illinois, Tigger, not Rockford, was the home of Davis and Cain. Nolden Gentry, a few years later at Iowa, was from Rockford. . And as far as the "Apple Bowl" if that is the game with Illinois that you are referring to, well, in those days many people purchased a box/sack lunch for the game, which usually came with an apple or orange. When Evy was upset about a penalty during the game, or maybe as you imply, a lack of penalty, he wandered out into the field to talk to the officials, but all for naught. People had been booing, but after that, they started throwing their apples and oranges out onto the field. ( Grownups, then, like modern kids in school lunchrooms hardly ever ate the fruit that comes with their lunches Or maybe they were saving them to eat later in the game). It rained apples and oranges. I don't remember any tomatoes. Yes, I was there.

Last edited:
Actually, Nile Jr. was Nile Clarke Kinnick while his father was Nile Clark Kinnick. The extra "e" in the younger Nile's name was for his grandfather Clarke who was a governor of Iowa. So he wouldn't be actually a Jr.

Chingachgook
There is a disagreement on the board about that. Tigger thinks Uncas was the last of the Mohicans, as he was Chingachgook's son. I maintain that the title refers to Gingachgook, because Uncas assumed room temperature before the end of the book and Gingachgook was still kicking.

Despite what you hear in the stands virtually every home Saturday (and anywhere else it is sung), the words "we're gonna" or "we're going to" appear absolutely nowhere in the lyrics of the Iowa Fight Song.

This is a really good one. It still surprises me how many people get this wrong.

Hawkeye QB Randall "Hughie" Duncan is the only first pick in the NFL draft who never played in the NFL.

Three of the first four Heisman Trophy winners were from Iowa, but only one of them played for an Iowa university: Nile Kinnick (the first winner Jay Berswanger played for the U of Chicago, the second, Wally Frank, played for Minnesota. Kinnick was sort of the "least" Iowan, moving into the state from Nebraska for high school.
Where did Jay Berwanger play in the NFL?

Where did Jay Berwanger play in the NFL?
I hate to keep correcting Tigger's errors, but somebody has to. He's got the Kinnick thing backward. Kinnick moved TO Nebraska for his senior year of high school, was in Adel prior to that. He graduated from high school as a Benson Bunny.

I hate to keep correcting Tigger's errors, but somebody has to. He's got the Kinnick thing backward. Kinnick moved TO Nebraska for his senior year of high school, was in Adel prior to that. He graduated from high school as a Benson Bunny.

Didn't Kinnick play or try and play for Minnesota initially. I thought I had read that somewhere. Basically something happened where he decided to move along and head to the University of Iowa.

I was at that game in the tunnel directly behind the goal posts. It's a long story I've told before, but I won't bore you with the details. I've always claimed I caught the winning FG (which I didn't).

BS. Kinnick Stadium doesn't have tunnels behind the goalposts. They are on the sides just outside the end zone on the north side where the kick occurred.

Reactions: RothMatt
There is a disagreement on the board about that. Tigger thinks Uncas was the last of the Mohicans, as he was Chingachgook's son. I maintain that the title refers to Gingachgook, because Uncas assumed room temperature before the end of the book and Gingachgook was still kicking.
But Chingachgook calls himself the Last of the Mohicans at the end

Didn't Kinnick play or try and play for Minnesota initially. I thought I had read that somewhere. Basically something happened where he decided to move along and head to the University of Iowa.
Yes, Minn was the Alabama of the day in 1935, but they passed on NCK because he was too small. Iowa was his fallback

Iowa Football has never been good and will never be good - Enough said.
That's completely wrong.
Iowa was a national power, national champions, nearly bringing HOF coach Knute Rockne in to replace HOF coach Howard Jones, until the nakba of 1929

Recovery took ten years and then.... WWII
Recovery took ten years and the good times lasted until Evashevki sabotaged the football program as AD
Evy gone in 1970, recovery took about ten years until Hayden Fry.

So the trend is that Iowa is a GOOD program

Reactions: gryzz14
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT