ADVERTISEMENT

post a little known iowa football fact

That I didn't know. Was it just the mascot was the team called the bears as well.

Always known as the Hawkeyes. The Bear was kept below the bleachers at the old stadium near the river. The river flooded and the bear drowned. Sooooo... no more bear mascot.

This appears to have devolved into various arguments over some of these posts, but I'll share another factoid:

Warren Holloway had one career touchdown catch. I think we all know when that happened. Also, he at least occasionally attends games at Kinnick, because I saw him as we exited Kinnick after a game last season (don't remember which one).

In 1891 Henry Kallenberg came to Iowa from Springfield Mass. College, where he was a classmate of James Naismith. Six months later after Kallenberg's arrival at Iowa, where he served as the 1st physical education director and also played QB on Iowa's 1891 football team, he received a letter from Naismith to try out a new "basket" ball game that he had just invented.

For the 1st 5 yrs., most games were played between Iowa students and towns people with as many as 9 players per side. Both field goals and free throws counted as 1 pt. and a soccer ball was used to shoot at a peach basket tacked to the visitor's gallery. Games were held in a 40-by-40 ft. gym in Close Hall, home of the YMCA and located at the corner of Iowa and Dubuque St.

Gale Sayers, a native of Omaha, visited Iowa City with a desire to play for the Hawkeyes. Jerry Burns, and/or staff as I recall, basically showed indifference, and Sayers ended up at Kansas, and the rest is history.

Has anybody else heard this story, as I recall it.
I've heard that story. I've also heard that Sayers wanted a new car. Iowa, perhaps loaded at the time, balked. KU apparently did not.

Reactions: BronxHawkeye
I've heard that story. I've also heard that Sayers wanted a new car. Iowa, perhaps loaded at the time, balked. KU apparently did not.
The Sayers thing has been discussed earlier in the thread, at some length.

Three of the first four Heisman Trophy winners were from Iowa, but only one of them played for an Iowa university: Nile Kinnick (the first winner Jay Berswanger played for the U of Chicago, the second, Wally Frank, played for Minnesota. Kinnick was sort of the "least" Iowan, moving into the state from Nebraska for high school.

The second Heisman winner was Larry Kelley, who played at Yale. The third was Clint Frank, who also played at Yale. Neither of these guys ever lived a day of their lives in the state of Iowa.

You are so bad at posting accurate information, it's like you're intentionally trying to look like an idiot.

And to that I say: job well done.

I heard that Knute Rockne was about to board a train for Iowa City to become the Head Hawkeye when Notre Dame boosters stopped him and wouldn't let him leave.
A side story: John Wooden was about to be offered the U of Minnesota basketball head coach position but a severe blizzard knocked out the phone lines thus preventing the call from going through. UCLA was able to make a connection and Wooden accepted their offer. Upon getting phone service back, Minnesota offered the position to Wooden but he refused due to his recent commitment to UCLA and being a man of his word, etc.....and the rest is history.

Alex Karras was hid by the Iowa coaches in Okoboji the summer before his freshman year, keeping opposing coaches from recruiting him away from the Hawks.

BS. Kinnick Stadium doesn't have tunnels behind the goalposts. They are on the sides just outside the end zone on the north side where the kick occurred.
In addition to tunnels aligned with the sidelines, there are tunnels at the hash marks. But I was so convinced it was directly behind the goalposts, I went looking for 1985 pictures of Kinnick. I didn't find many old pictures. I found one from 1982 that looks like there is a center aisle, but I can't see any tunnels anywhere. But what the heck. I had a lot to drink that day which was why I ended up in the tunnel in the first place after relieving myself during that last drive.

kinnickmapupdated2014.jpg

kinnick-1982.jpg

http://thegazette.com/2008/04/10/ha...a-survives-michigan-state-rally-to-finish-7-4

November 20, 1982
At Spartan Stadium in East Lansing, Iowa defensive back Ron Hawley ran into an upright of the wooden goalpost while trying to defend against a Spartan pass. The goalpost toppled. Later, officials perched on stepladders holding temporary uprights aloft so play could continue normally. Iowa won the game, 24-18.

I can't find a video link either.

In 1968 Ron Podalak broke the single game Big 10 rushing record against NW in a 68-34 blowout at Kinnick stadium, only to have the record broken again the next week.

Haven't seen it yet so SIAP but Iowa go smoked by South Central Louisiana State University Mud Dogs in the Waterboy. Looks like they got the rights to the full logo too.

waterboy01-large.jpg

Not exactly.

But that October, BT football champion Illini were due to play In Iowa Stadium. And for weeks that Autumn Iowa students prepared (in that era, students got free tickets to all athletic events; the rub was that only about 5000 seats were set aside as the student section when enrollment was over 10,000; so you were at the gate when it opened at 9 AM for the 1:30 game time, keeping warm by means of five or six flasks of bourbon, brandy, rum). For Illinois you brought a knapsack of ammunition. Still, things did not get out of hand until the second half. The Illini, frustrated by surprisingly competitive Hawkeyes, went from physical to dirty----all the signal needed for onslaughts of tomatos & overripe apples, etc followed by charges into the Illlnois seating at the Southeast corner of the stadium.

But the carnage never spilled onto the field. Neither Iowa nor Illini players were involved in the fights. And neither Evy or AD Paul Brechlet did anything to encourage the outburst. The more significant truth, however, is that neither did anything to prevent it or halt it. The next morning a telephone conference call to all the BT schools resulted in a decision that Iowa-Illinois games ---FOOTBALL ONLY --- were suspended indefinitely.

The suspension lasted seventeen years. It proved more painful to Iowa, since for 12 or so years the Hawkeyes were on the rise to multiple national rankings, and several titles & bowl victories----including midway through Iowa's only #1 national ranking in 1958. The Illini, in contrast, were bottom feeders for a decade until 1964.

From what I've read, there were indeed brawls during the game between Iowa and Illini players, with several being ejected from the game, with the crowd then throwing things onto the field and fights then breaking out in the stands. I've also read that Evy encouraged his players to engage in some of the in-game chaos to toughen them up. I found a source for this a few years ago, will look again for it.

Other facts: the top two NFL career interception leaders are both Iowa grads, Paul Krause and Emlen Tunnell. Chuck Long is likely to be the only player to ever appear in FIVE bowl games, a quirk of eligibility that is no longer possible.

The best team in Iowa in the early 40's was neither Iowa nor ISU. It was Iowa Pre-Flight, arguably the best team in the nation for a couple of seasons during that time.

Nile Kinnick was a Christian Scientist and did not seek formal medical care even when injured. In addition to playing football at Iowa, he also played basketball. He also had about the worst nickname ever, the 'Cornbelt Comet'. Ugh.

Kinnick's famous Heisman speech was given off-the-cuff, without written notes. I suspect it will remain the only Heisman speech to reference a French military honor for quite some time.

The best coach to ever coach the Hawkeyes? Not Ferentz. Not Fry.

Answer: Howard Jones, in the early 1920's (look him up, amazing man, amazing career). He left Iowa in a strange dispute with the physical education department and U of I administration, which is also kind of an amazing sort of event considering that this guy was probably a better coach than Knute Rockne, on par with Bear Bryant and A A Stagg.

The name of our mascot, 'Herky,' is a corruption of the word 'Hawkeye'. So obvious, that it didn't dawn on me for thirty+ years until I read it someplace.

The 1968 Iowa helmets did not look the same every game. If you look at old photos, they change subtly all the time. 'IOWA' is on the lower back of the helmet for one game, 'HAWKS' is then there for another, and--unless the negatives are backward--it seems that the 'flying Hawk' logo is sometimes on one side of the helmet, sometimes on the other, and--I think--sometimes on BOTH sides. I would love to have Ed Podolak, or another 1968 team member, tell me why these things occurred.

The best part about the famous 1970's streaker was that he not only ran naked the length of the field (north to south), but that he did so holding a little IOWA pennant on a stick in his hand. He might have been naked, but he never stopped being a Hawkeye fan.

From what I've read, there were indeed brawls during the game between Iowa and Illini players, with several being ejected from the game, with the crowd then throwing things onto the field and fights then breaking out in the stands. I've also read that Evy encouraged his players to engage in some of the in-game chaos to toughen them up. I found a source for this a few years ago, will look again for it.

Other facts: the top two NFL career interception leaders are both Iowa grads, Paul Krause and Emlen Tunnell. Chuck Long is likely to be the only player to ever appear in FIVE bowl games, a quirk of eligibility that is no longer possible.

The best team in Iowa in the early 40's was neither Iowa nor ISU. It was Iowa Pre-Flight, arguably the best team in the nation for a couple of seasons during that time.

Nile Kinnick was a Christian Scientist and did not seek formal medical care even when injured. In addition to playing football at Iowa, he also played basketball. He also had about the worst nickname ever, the 'Cornbelt Comet'. Ugh.

Kinnick's famous Heisman speech was given off-the-cuff, without written notes. I suspect it will remain the only Heisman speech to reference a French military honor for quite some time.

The best coach to ever coach the Hawkeyes? Not Ferentz. Not Fry.

Answer: Howard Jones, in the early 1920's (look him up, amazing man, amazing career). He left Iowa in a strange dispute with the physical education department and U of I administration, which is also kind of an amazing sort of event considering that this guy was probably a better coach than Knute Rockne, on par with Bear Bryant and A A Stagg.

The name of our mascot, 'Herky,' is a corruption of the word 'Hawkeye'. So obvious, that it didn't dawn on me for thirty+ years until I read it someplace.

The 1968 Iowa helmets did not look the same every game. If you look at old photos, they change subtly all the time. 'IOWA' is on the lower back of the helmet for one game, 'HAWKS' is then there for another, and--unless the negatives are backward--it seems that the 'flying Hawk' logo is sometimes on one side of the helmet, sometimes on the other, and--I think--sometimes on BOTH sides. I would love to have Ed Podolak, or another 1968 team member, tell me why these things occurred.

The best part about the famous 1970's streaker was that he not only ran naked the length of the field (north to south), but that he did so holding a little IOWA pennant on a stick in his hand. He might have been naked, but he never stopped being a Hawkeye fan.

Good post, except Herky is short for Hercules. Also, the most common depiction of him was created in the 80s, a mix of Iowa wrestler Barry Davis and Mighty Mouse. And this from Wikipedia:

On November 22, 1997, during a below freezing[1] Iowa 31-0 football victory over Minnesota at Kinnick Stadium, a Golden Gopher drummer[2] had a cup of water thrown on his face by Herky.[3] As Herky skipped away he was tackled from behind by the drummer. Rather than take a hand offered to help the mascot to his feet, Herky broke the drummer's glasses with a punch to the face. The end result of Herky's assault on the drummer was the breaking of the historic 40-year-old cheer-bird's head.[4] Members of the Minnesota band took small trophy pieces of the broken helmet back to Minnesota. The helmet was re-made of Kevlar for the 1998 season.[5]

Reactions: HobbieHawk
In 1968 Ron Podalak broke the single game Big 10 rushing record against NW in a 68-34 blowout at Kinnick stadium, only to have the record broken again the next week.

I was at that game when Ed Podolack ran for 286 yds. against NW. He was also the 1st Hawkeye to surpass 4,000 yds. in total offense with 1,710 in rushing yds. and 2,316 in passing yds.

The three Stoops brothers all wore # 41 when they played at Iowa. However, one brother wore a different number for one year before his older brother graduated. It was Mike and he wore #2.

Just heard Freddie Coleman on ESPN radio comment on Al B Sure! being a top rated QB from NY in HS... didn’t know it was Iowa he turned down to pursue a music career... google it & here it is... crazy! Lol

Iowa has played in two of Florida's coldest bowl games in history. Florida vs Iowa in the 1983 Gator Bowl...Georgia Tech vs Iowa in the 2010 Orange Bowl.
Yours truly attended both of these games. I was in 3rd grade in 1983...still remember that game. Tough loss to the gutters.
And I can say I went to both! I was in elementary school in 1983.

The name Hawkeyes comes from the character Hawkeye, an Indian in the novel "the Last of the Mohicans." ( Pierce from the show MASH also got his nickname from the novel.) So, technically, we have an Indian for a mascot. And a fictional character, like the Terminator or Tyler Durden.
Author was James Fenimore Cooper.

In 20 years or so, someone can post this (but I can't wait that long).

In 2009, Iowa defeated UNI by blocking FG's on two consecutive plays in the final seconds.

Iowa once played a game during the WW1 influenza epidemic with NO FANS in the stands for health reasons. Armed guards were posted to keep people from congregating to watch it.

Evy once urged his players to engage in a brawl during a game against Illinois shortly after he became coach, to instill a fighting spirit in them. So they DID. Huge fight on the field as a result.

Iowa was essentially kicked out of the Western Conference/Big Ten in the late 20's for rather egregious rules infractions, but was eventually reinstated.

In the late 60's, embattled coach Ray Nagle was, for a time, rumored to be dead, and people believed it! He had to provide 'proof of life' to prove them wrong. He was eventually fired, anyway., despite being alive.

A track guy named, Charlie Jones (IIRC) caught a long TD pass in a game in the early 80's (I recall it was against Indiana, or maybe it was Purdue). Thing is--it was his ONLY collegiate reception in his only college game.

TE Scott Chandler never did catch a TD pass thrown by his QB brother, Nathan. But boy did they try, over and over and over again! It got comical after a while, watching this repeatedly not happen.

When Iowa initially lined up for the most famous FG in Hawkeye history, against #2 Michigan in 1985, the tee was placed only 6 yards behind the LOS (they could use a tee back then for FG). They noticed the error only when UM called a TO to ice the kicker, Rob Houghtlin. The tee was moved back another yard to the correct distance, Houghtlin made the kick and...history.

IIRC Charlie Jones taught my Rhetoric course.

She was a member of the SLA by then and wanted for murder. She was on the lam. She was with a guy named Jack Scott, driving from Pennsylvania to California when they were stopped by a highway patrolman for speeding. Scott jollied the guy out of a ticket by saying he'd been excited listening to Iowa beat UCLA.
The trooper then warned him to slow down through Nebraska, because the Cornhuskers had been upset that day.

Could you talk more about this? No idea what this means, but I am intrigued.

After Patty Hearst was kidnapped she was "brainwashed" as a member of the SLA. Months later when multiple members of the SLA robbed a bank and Hearst was caught on video helping out. After that months later there was a huge shoot out in LA between the SLA and police where the house they were in caught on fire and a lot of the members died there. The few members not at the house went out to I believe PA to hide out. I'm not for sure if this was on her way out there or on the way back to LA but they did get stopped by an Iowa State Trooper and used the Iowa upset excuse to get out of him running their IDs. Technically it was not a chance for her to be rescued but she avoided being arrested with a warrant out for her arrest for the bank robbery.

There was a really good mini series documentary on this a few years ago on CNN where they interviewed a lot of people which Hearst declined. But this was brought up in it.

Reactions: FlickShagwell
Need a little help with this one. An Iowa football player (Could it have been Dave Long in the 60's?) leaving the field, took his helmet off, swung it and accidentally knocked a ref out cold.

This appears to have devolved into various arguments over some of these posts, but I'll share another factoid:

Warren Holloway had one career touchdown catch. I think we all know when that happened. Also, he at least occasionally attends games at Kinnick, because I saw him as we exited Kinnick after a game last season (don't remember which one).

What makes the Holloway story and stat so amazing is that he scored that first and only touchdown in the last second of the last game of his career. Literally as the clock hit 00:00

Talk about the ultimate walk-off.

Reactions: VicHawkeye
TE Scott Chandler never did catch a TD pass thrown by his QB brother, Nathan. But boy did they try, over and over and over again! It got comical after a while, watching this repeatedly not happen.

Dude.

2003 wasn't THAT long ago. You’re really exaggerating here.

Last edited:
Tom Arnold talked his drunk buddy into tackling the Miami Hurricanes mascot in the 92 season. He told his buddy Sebastian the Ibis was mocking him. I was there watching security walk out a guy not knowing the rest of the story till years later when Tom discussed on a late night talk show.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT