ADVERTISEMENT

Potentially Dangerous Podcast - Alex Marinelli

Really excited about Alex. I think he's got the potential to be a beast! Hawkeyes are damn lucky we got him.

Oh man you guys weren't kidding! I can't wait to see Bull in a Hawkeye singlet! I loved when he said if he could sign early he would.

It would have been really easy for him to keep his commitment to Ohio St....it was close to home and would have made a lot of friends and family happy. But this "kid" (who has a better beard than I do) followed his gut and his heart and decided to switch because it's what HE wanted. Put yourself in those shoes as a 17 year old when he was making this decision. That takes BALLS. That's the kind of guy he is off the mat...and we all know he's a BEAST on the mat. Bull is a Hawkeye through and through.

Will oprf be at any of the tourneys Graham is? White vs Marinelli would be fun to watch

The last two seasons OPRF has attended the Walsh Ironman tourney in Ohio. Not sure if that's in their plans for this year, but Marinelli will be there.

The last two seasons OPRF has attended the Walsh Ironman tourney in Ohio. Not sure if that's in their plans for this year, but Marinelli will be there.
OPRF will be at the Ironman this upcoming season. Not sure if White will be at 152 or 160 yet. He's a 152 but will wrestle where the team needs him.

Crazy to think that he thinks he could be a 157 after his redshirt. Makes you wonder with Kemerer, Young, and now Alex all battling for two spots.

Crazy to think that he thinks he could be a 157 after his redshirt. Makes you wonder with Kemerer, Young, and now Alex all battling for two spots.
Kemerer- 149/157
Young- 157/165
Marinelli- 165/174

This is the way I see things. I thought Young looked like a big 160 this summer and wouldn't be shocked if he is eventually in the 174 conversation. Marinelli looks like he would be a good sized 165 out of the gate, but he obviously knows his body much better than me. I hope each one of these guys will have flexibility between a weight or two, and can all get in the lineup together. If not, sitting a talented kid for a year or two is not uncommon (Gilman, Brooks, Meyer...etc)

Reactions: andegre
Marinelli made it pretty clear in the podcast he is closer to 157 than he is to 174, so him being at the same weight in college as Hall is a non-factor.

They would be at the same International weight.

Sorensen, Kemerer, Marinelli, Hall
Isn't Kemerer a bit smaller than Sorensen? Taller? I don't really know, just curious. Throw in Keegan Moore and anyone related to Lou Banach and we're golden...................

Kemerer- 149/157
Young- 157/165
Marinelli- 165/174

This is the way I see things. I thought Young looked like a big 160 this summer and wouldn't be shocked if he is eventually in the 174 conversation. Marinelli looks like he would be a good sized 165 out of the gate, but he obviously knows his body much better than me. I hope each one of these guys will have flexibility between a weight or two, and can all get in the lineup together. If not, sitting a talented kid for a year or two is not uncommon (Gilman, Brooks, Meyer...etc)

Young has wrestled up at 170 with Young Guns quite a bit for duals and he doesn't look like it hurts him too much up a weight. He looks huge for 160. I could see him at 160 this year and then maybe redshirts at 165/174 for the Hawks. Anybody who hasn't seen Kaleb Young wrestle should check him out on Youtube or whatever, he's pretty fun to watch. He's real aggressive and has a nice top game. He could fill in perfect for Alex Meyer at 174 his redshirt freshman year. With the bull at 165 and Kemmerer at 157. Assuming Hall isn't a Hawk of course.

Young has wrestled up at 170 with Young Guns quite a bit for duals and he doesn't look like it hurts him too much up a weight. He looks huge for 160. I could see him at 160 this year and then maybe redshirts at 165/174 for the Hawks. Anybody who hasn't seen Kaleb Young wrestle should check him out on Youtube or whatever, he's pretty fun to watch. He's real aggressive and has a nice top game. He could fill in perfect for Alex Meyer at 174 his redshirt freshman year. With the bull at 165 and Kemmerer at 157. Assuming Hall isn't a Hawk of course.
We do still have Paddock 165/174. Think he might surprise a few people down at 165 this year.

Reactions: Krupnyakov
I agree that Paddock will be at 165 this year and probably next year as well. But after that Marinelli is going to man that spot IMHO. Then we should have some good competition between Paddock and Young for 174.
I agree. Think it was always the plan to have Paddock at 165 for two years and let him grow into 174 his last two years.

It's great to see some conversation about a positive topic. Time to let the negative thread die, or at least take it in a positive direction.

Very excited to see Alex and his fellow classmates tear it up in black and gold! Likewise, I'm sure they'll enjoy competing in front of the biggest and most passionate fan base in college wrestling.

I love how he said he is independent. Sounds like all of his friends and family wanted him at OSU. The fact that he followed his own heart to Iowa City is a good sign. He is the real deal folks!

Sounds like a very level-headed kid. I think he is going to be a great one for the Hawks - on and off the mat. I like his intensity and I like that he made the choice that he felt was best for him. When his coaches and family/friends are wanting you to stay in your own backyard, that's not an easy move to say 'I am packing my bags for Iowa City.' I think he is going to be a special kid.

ADVERTISEMENT