ADVERTISEMENT

Prom gets commit from Brady Ernst

hooper56

HR Legend
Gold Member
Oct 1, 2001
New strategy for the cyclones going after an Iowa kid. Very interesting as I don't think Ernst is a high major kid.

I believe it has been 7 years since the clones have taken an Iowa kid.

New strategy for the cyclones going after an Iowa kid. Very interesting as I don't think Ernst is a high major kid.
Nothing new about the strategy. ISU never stopped recruiting Iowa kids.

Ernst had no other high major offers. Quite a few from mid-majors, including UNI. He tore an ACL in February and didn't play the rest of the season.

Cyclones need immediate help up front, had 2 scholies open, coaches probably thought it was worth taking a chance with one of them. That still leaves space for a transfer if one becomes available -- a couple of them have been discussed by fans, if not by coaches -- and if the Greek kid doesn't come back, which seems possible, that would open another spot for this year's class.

Nothing new about the strategy. ISU never stopped recruiting Iowa kids.

Ernst had no other high major offers. Quite a few from mid-majors, including UNI. He tore an ACL in February and didn't play the rest of the season.

Cyclones need immediate help up front, had 2 scholies open, coaches probably thought it was worth taking a chance with one of them. That still leaves space for a transfer if one becomes available -- a couple of them have been discussed by fans, if not by coaches -- and if the Greek kid doesn't come back, which seems possible, that would open another spot for this year's class.
Let's get real, they may have sent a few letters and brochures to Iowa kids but I don't think they have put the full court press on an Iowa kid in a long long time. It IS a strategic change I think. And I am not saying there is anything wrong with that at all.

Let's get real, they may have sent a few letters and brochures to Iowa kids but I don't think they have put the full court press on an Iowa kid in a long long time. It IS a strategic change I think. And I am not saying there is anything wrong with that at all.
They probably would have gotten Jok if Lefty Moore hadn't screwed up with the NCAA regulations. They offered Gesell. They tried to get Uthoff twice. They obviously offered Paige and Barnes. What Iowa preps in recent years who could have been major contributors at ISU were not recruited by ISU?

Wasn't Helmers almost (if not) 7 feet tall? 6'8" is a long way from that. Not that Helmers was that good. Ernst might be a good player but if the Clones want to be anywhere near where they have been, kids at his level aren't going to keep them there.

Wasn't Helmers almost (if not) 7 feet tall? 6'8" is a long way from that. Not that Helmers was that good. Ernst might be a good player but if the Clones want to be anywhere near where they have been, kids at his level aren't going to keep them there.
Helmers was listed at 6-9, 230 as a collegian. This kid is listed as 6-8/9, 215.

Cyclones need a big body to spell Niang and McKay. They don't need him to be a starter or even a potential starter. It isn't like they gave their last scholarship to him instead of to some 4-star from Power Memorial.

I think this surprised everybody, though. I'd never seen his name mentioned by the posters who follow recruiting, even when they were talking about the need for a big guy in this year's class.

I think it is most surprising because the previous administration would have probably opted for a transfer.

They probably would have gotten Jok if Lefty Moore hadn't screwed up with the NCAA regulations. They offered Gesell. They tried to get Uthoff twice. They obviously offered Paige and Barnes. What Iowa preps in recent years who could have been major contributors at ISU were not recruited by ISU?
Do you know which of those players mentioned visited ISU? If you didn't bring a kid in on an official visit then I think you could argue you are not recruiting him very hard. I am surprised ISU did not recruit the Jones kid from Waterloo.

Back in High School, I remember seeing Helmers get schooled by kids a foot shorter than him.

Funny how isu fans on cyclone fanatic love to say Iowa recruits players destined for the MVC. Now they take a kid that UNI and others in the MVC quit recruiting.

I think it is most surprising because the previous administration would have probably opted for a transfer.
Agreed and, if they were remotely interested in a guy like this, he would have been asked to walk on. OK to use an "extra" scholarship on a guy that has been in your program working hard for 2-3 years as a redshirt. Kind of weird to tie up a 4 year deal on a guy like this. Obviously, they'll 86 him anyway.

Im shocked by this offer. I did not think Ernst was a Div 1 caliber player. He is a solid player, but very slow of foot and not crazy athletic. I don't know maybe he will get bigger faster and stronger at ISU, but I just don't see it.

I mean there were kids in the MAC who were better than him on most nights. He didn't impress me the few nights I got to see him. I thought he would dominate at the Div 2 level, but also did not see him at UNI either.

Reactions: nffly
helmets was a top 100ish recruit. back when van Coleman was relevant he was rated a little below Raef. both played small school ball.

Late in the day.

They need some bodies.
But I would not discount this kid all that much after a Redshirt year.

I thought the Michigan transfer was theirs for the taking before Fred left.

Not a lot left to choose from at this point when you have 2-3 slots open for the Fall.

Ouch, not real impressive at initial glance, but then again, the kids knee injury may have hampered his options as well. I'll be interested to see how it shakes out, but if I was an ISU fan, I wouldn't be thrilled with the pickup.

Greg Helmers.....good recall. Recruited at 6'11", signed at 6'10", played at 6'9" and had a career rebounding average under 3 (honestly, I don't know but....).

i'm wondering if they reached on this guy because Prohm either does not want to go the transfer route as often or knows that ISU will not be as instant of a transfer destination now that Hoiberg is gone.

Reactions: KeyWest Tim
i'm wondering if they reached on this guy because Prohm either does not want to go the transfer route as often or knows that ISU will not be as instant of a transfer destination now that Hoiberg is gone.

That's interesting.

But let's say they do. This gives them a quick and easy way to assess if his eye for talent works at this level.

Guessing dude throwing chair and ruining what could have been a great season may change their philosophies on life. But that may be short-sighted :)

Helmers was listed at 6-9, 230 as a collegian. This kid is listed as 6-8/9, 215.

Cyclones need a big body to spell Niang and McKay. They don't need him to be a starter or even a potential starter. It isn't like they gave their last scholarship to him instead of to some 4-star from Power Memorial.

I think this surprised everybody, though. I'd never seen his name mentioned by the posters who follow recruiting, even when they were talking about the need for a big guy in this year's class.
Lol this guy isn't spelling anyone this year as long as the game is within 20.

The offer to Iowa high schooler Ernst by ISU was/is very interesting...I do not believe Hoiberg would have had he stayed at ISU...

I know that Iowa did see this kid a number of times..open gym...etc.
I know he was not high their list (thus no offer up to ISU's offer)

IMO...Ernst has some skill...it is a matter of whether the effort matches it.

Ernst dated Brig Tubbs daughter for over a year. Broke up with her a week before his injury in the last regular season game of the year vs Muscatine. In the last seconds of the half, he had a break away, and a Wieskamp, either the Iowa verbal committ or his older brother, fouled him at the rim. Landed awkwardly, and tore his meniscus. Teams played a week later in the playoffs, and Muscatine won as Clinton didn't have its best player.
Ernst had offers from Florida Gulf Coast and Bowling Green last summer/fall. UNI had offered way back, about same time as Dubuque Sr.'s McDonnell, 24 months ago. Think they kinda cooled & maybe didn't have any left by the time Ernst would have said yes.
Ernst wasn't psyched about Bowling Green and FGC in September. Brig Tubbs had former teammate, Paul Lusk, head coach at Missouri State, counsel Ernst. Told him he didn't have to grab things in September. 750 D1 scholarships become available every spring. So, Ernst rolled the dice and played his senior year without a scholarship lined up. Looked like a bad break (literally) upon the injury.
Ernst was averaging 19 pts a game for a .500 team with only one other offensive option (Howard) in a league where he was the only player over 6-5.
Don't think he really changed the minds of anybody with his senior season, but had a chance something more to his liking might come his way with the annual spring transfers and coaching changes, which is what happened.
I have no inside info, but I don't see how he would have played JC ball this season and try to impress on a knee that wasn't healthy. Kind of like Dale Jones sitting a year, except it would have been his first right out of high school.
I don't know how much practice fodder he even offers this season in Ames. Fred, Fran, & Ben had no interest when Ernst was healthy. Prohm had scholarships to give, and wanted to send a message ISU will be in play for Iowa preps.
Understand the previous post regarding rewarding guys who've been in the program for 3 years with a scholarship, but ISU has nobody like that in the program.
Hilarious side note, the Kansas City freshman guard who didn't play much this season & transferred to Loyola because of the former Cyclone assistant connection, now sees the assistant return to Ames. It's a topsy turvy world.
Ernst was soft when healthy. Baer ate him alive twice a year for 2 years in high school.
ISU needed to fill a roster, and is taking a flyer. There isn't a lot around in late June. Ernst was in their back yard. Makes sense. But Iowa, UNI, and even Drake aren't shaking in their boots.
Speaking of Drake, that's where Brig Tubbs daughter will play volleyball, but not until the fall of 2016.

it will surprise me Ernst last 4 years at ISU...and yes Baer outplayed him. Soft doesn't make it in D1. Iowa staff saw it and thus no offer.

If Prohm offered Ernst to send a message to other Iowa high schoolers...kudos...hope he keeps that up.

and just to be clear...Ernst does have some skill...its the application part that needs work...well at least it did the last time I spoke with a conference coach.

Ernst dated Brig Tubbs daughter for over a year. Broke up with her a week before his injury in the last regular season game of the year vs Muscatine. In the last seconds of the half, he had a break away, and a Wieskamp, either the Iowa verbal committ or his older brother, fouled him at the rim. Landed awkwardly, and tore his meniscus. Teams played a week later in the playoffs, and Muscatine won as Clinton didn't have its best player.
Ernst had offers from Florida Gulf Coast and Bowling Green last summer/fall. UNI had offered way back, about same time as Dubuque Sr.'s McDonnell, 24 months ago. Think they kinda cooled & maybe didn't have any left by the time Ernst would have said yes.
Ernst wasn't psyched about Bowling Green and FGC in September. Brig Tubbs had former teammate, Paul Lusk, head coach at Missouri State, counsel Ernst. Told him he didn't have to grab things in September. 750 D1 scholarships become available every spring. So, Ernst rolled the dice and played his senior year without a scholarship lined up. Looked like a bad break (literally) upon the injury.
Ernst was averaging 19 pts a game for a .500 team with only one other offensive option (Howard) in a league where he was the only player over 6-5.
Don't think he really changed the minds of anybody with his senior season, but had a chance something more to his liking might come his way with the annual spring transfers and coaching changes, which is what happened.
I have no inside info, but I don't see how he would have played JC ball this season and try to impress on a knee that wasn't healthy. Kind of like Dale Jones sitting a year, except it would have been his first right out of high school.
I don't know how much practice fodder he even offers this season in Ames. Fred, Fran, & Ben had no interest when Ernst was healthy. Prohm had scholarships to give, and wanted to send a message ISU will be in play for Iowa preps.
Understand the previous post regarding rewarding guys who've been in the program for 3 years with a scholarship, but ISU has nobody like that in the program.
Hilarious side note, the Kansas City freshman guard who didn't play much this season & transferred to Loyola because of the former Cyclone assistant connection, now sees the assistant return to Ames. It's a topsy turvy world.
Ernst was soft when healthy. Baer ate him alive twice a year for 2 years in high school.
ISU needed to fill a roster, and is taking a flyer. There isn't a lot around in late June. Ernst was in their back yard. Makes sense. But Iowa, UNI, and even Drake aren't shaking in their boots.
Speaking of Drake, that's where Brig Tubbs daughter will play volleyball, but not until the fall of 2016.
You know I love Nick, but you also have to admit he was a year ahead of Ernst and Bettendorf was just a far better team, so...;).

That being said, I think Nick is definitely the better overall player and Iowa got a good one. I would much rather have Nick than Ernst. Nothing against him personally, but from my observations Nick's a much harder worker, and just seems to have a nose for the ball. While Ernst is a good HS player and provides some size, it doesn't look like things come easily to him; it looks like he has to think instead of simply reacting.

Get Nick up to 210-215 lbs and he'll be a solid contributor in the rotation before it's all said and done.

Interesting comments. I know nothing about the kid. The only thing I know about his recruitment is that T.J. went after him immediately upon returning to Ames in April. That doesn't mean Fred would have offered him, of course.

I don't know how athletic he is, but he was second in the state big-school high jump last year at 6-6, so he isn't entirely a slug.

I would point out, however, that giving Ernst a scholarship does not preclude bringing in a transfer, as there are scholarships available, and in addition, there are no walk-ons who might reasonably be given the scholie. The two last year are both gone now.

Somebody asked about the official visits....Barnes took one, of course. I'm pretty sure Uthoff did. I don't think Paige did, but I'm not sure. Jok was not at that point yet when the Lefty Moore thing forced ISU to stop recruiting him. I think an "official" visit is a lot less significant for an Iowa kid, anyway.

I don't think it's fair to make a conclusion that Prohm "won't go transfer route" based on being in the job 2 weeks. Every coach in America (other than maybe Duke) is just fine taking transfers if they are good. It's one thing to be interested in transfers, it's another to actually get the guy to come to your school. Hoiberg developed a reputation for being able to work with guys and assimilate them into his program. And he avoided having any of them really blow up on him (although it turns out that Bryce Dejean-Jones wasn't a great neighbor).

Fran accepted Uthoff, and was in the market for a few other guys in recent years (the guy from Nevada who ended up at Michigan is one, I can't remember his name).

It's possible that the transfers won't be lining up now that Hoiberg is gone. time will tell.

I think an "official" visit is a lot less significant for an Iowa kid, anyway.

Yes I agree but my point is if a school does not even get a kid in on an official visit then they are not really recruiting him very hard. (Or I suppose the other scenario is that they are just woefully inept recruiters, and I don't think that is the case here.)

I don't think it's fair to make a conclusion that Prohm "won't go transfer route" based on being in the job 2 weeks. Every coach in America (other than maybe Duke) is just fine taking transfers if they are good. It's one thing to be interested in transfers, it's another to actually get the guy to come to your school. Hoiberg developed a reputation for being able to work with guys and assimilate them into his program. And he avoided having any of them really blow up on him (although it turns out that Bryce Dejean-Jones wasn't a great neighbor).

Fran accepted Uthoff, and was in the market for a few other guys in recent years (the guy from Nevada who ended up at Michigan is one, I can't remember his name).

It's possible that the transfers won't be lining up now that Hoiberg is gone. time will tell.
If the kid knows he isn't going there, why should he waste an official visit on the place, and why should he waste the school's time and money? I don't think Iowa gave Fred an official visit when he was a high school senior. Doesn't mean they didn't want him.

I'm also a little puzzled by the comments by some posters (not necessarily you) that they expect Prohm to avoid transfers. He sure as hell didn't avoid transfers at Murray State. I think there were four of them playing major roles this season.

Never said he "won't go the transfer route." I was noting that it might be possible this means it won't happen as often and/or might decrease significantly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT