ADVERTISEMENT

Prom gets commit from Brady Ernst

Will he go the route of taking kids kicked out of other programs like Freddy did? Transfers are one thing, taking kids who were dismissed is another.
I sincerely hope he will use the same standards in taking transfers that Fred did.

basically needed another big body and that is why they signed him. Mid major player before the injury. They wouldnt have needed him if Fred stayed because they would have probably kept the JUCO that they released and also gotten the transfer from Michigan.

basically needed another big body and that is why they signed him. Mid major player before the injury. They wouldnt have needed him if Fred stayed because they would have probably kept the JUCO that they released and also gotten the transfer from Michigan.
From what I have heard and read, this is an accurate assessment. To which I would add that they were also a finalist for the 5-star big man who ended up at Kansas. So the situation regarding big men is considerably different than it was a couple of months ago.

ISU's scholarship situation makes this pretty much a no-risk offer. Nobody should expect big things but you never know.

I think it is becoming quite clear that Fred knew he was on a 4 or 5 year plan at ISU and that's why he went the quick fix route. He needed instant success. He didn't really care about building the future of the program. It worked out well for him but I think Prohm will find it a little tougher sledding.

I think it is becoming quite clear that Fred knew he was on a 4 or 5 year plan at ISU and that's why he went the quick fix route. He needed instant success. He didn't really care about building the future of the program. It worked out well for him but I think Prohm will find it a little tougher sledding.

Is that why he left them with what most call a Top5-10 team this year?

Reactions: Myvue
Quite a but different goin from "full court press" on cheick diallo to brady ernst. Would be really surprised if he turned into seth tuttle.

Keep hoping.

What about the year after?
The year after looks like a building year, but it isn't like the cupboard is going to be entirely bare. Prohm is inheriting a situation similar to, but much better than, Tim Floyd inherited from Johnny Orr.....and he did OK.

We are talking about the 2016-17 season. As it stands today, Monte Morris, Matt Thomas, Deonte Burton and Halice Cooke will be back, which makes a pretty strong nucleus. Not to mention the 7-1 Greek kid and this year's freshmen, Ernst and Noskowiak. While there's a chance Morris will go to the NBA a year early and the Greek will stay in Europe, there's also a chance Prohm will pick up one or more additional guys.

Floyd had Jacy Holloway and Derrick Hayes, and nobody else.

The year after looks like a building year, but it isn't like the cupboard is going to be entirely bare. Prohm is inheriting a situation similar to, but much better than, Tim Floyd inherited from Johnny Orr.....and he did OK.

We are talking about the 2016-17 season. As it stands today, Monte Morris, Matt Thomas, Deonte Burton and Halice Cooke will be back, which makes a pretty strong nucleus. Not to mention the 7-1 Greek kid and this year's freshmen, Ernst and Noskowiak. While there's a chance Morris will go to the NBA a year early and the Greek will stay in Europe, there's also a chance Prohm will pick up one or more additional guys.

Cyclones will be just fine. They're poised to have a very good year this season plus Prohm runs a fun style of play, which in turn will make recruiting easier. As long as there are no significant controversies they'll continue having success.

I wouldn't be counting on the greek kid or Ernst for contributions after this year.
Also wouldn't count on Morris being back. Not sure you can count guys like Cooke or Burton either as part of a strong nucleus when they haven't played a game for Iowa State yet. Thomas hasn't shown he is more than a bench player and who knows how good Noskowiak will be.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
I wouldn't be counting on the greek kid or Ernst for contributions after this year.
Also wouldn't count on Morris being back. Not sure you can count guys like Cooke or Burton either as part of a strong nucleus when they haven't played a game for Iowa State yet. Thomas hasn't shown he is more than a bench player and who knows how good Noskowiak will be.
Well, if we don't count any of the players who will be on the team, I concede we'll have a terrible year. Have to forfeit every game.

Seriously, all we can do is look at what we know at this point -- which I think I made clear in my post.

Well, if we don't count any of the players who will be on the team, I concede we'll have a terrible year. Have to forfeit every game.

Seriously, all we can do is look at what we know at this point -- which I think I made clear in my post.

No you didn't . You said those players make a good group but you don't know how good they will be or that Morris will be around so like I said it is not clear that they are going to be good that year.

it will surprise me Ernst last 4 years at ISU...and yes Baer outplayed him. Soft doesn't make it in D1. Iowa staff saw it and thus no offer.

If Prohm offered Ernst to send a message to other Iowa high schoolers...kudos...hope he keeps that up.

and just to be clear...Ernst does have some skill...its the application part that needs work...well at least it did the last time I spoke with a conference coach.
I can assure you that "soft" had nothing to do with why the IA staff never offered Brady. Fran and staff evaluated Brady very heavily and there was one major factor that led to them deciding to go in a different direction which is the same reason Texas didn't offer right away (prior to the staff changes) but they were very intrigued by his skillset. The Texas asst coach actually said to me, "he is more skilled than half the bigs in the big 12". Brady has improved TREMENDOUSLY in the past 3 years and was always much better in July than April/May you have to understand he has no one to push him in Clinton thus he improves when playing vs kids bigger/stronger/more athletic than him on the AAU/Grassroots circuit. He would always start off slow and finish the grassroots season playing like a hi-major big but the inconsistency scared a lot of bigger schools. He has fell in love with the weight room and gotten much stronger and playing against the talent he will face in practice next year will help him to reach a higher level of consistency.

Let's wish him well as it's not like he spurned Ia for ISU, not sure why people feel like downing this kid makes there day or lives better. He is an IA kid who will work very hard with the opportunity he has been given.

Iowa will struggle that year as well, per your logic, since most of the members of that team has not played yet. I'm not disagreeing with your logic. Just saying.

I can assure you that "soft" had nothing to do with why the IA staff never offered Brady. Fran and staff evaluated Brady very heavily and there was one major factor that led to them deciding to go in a different direction which is the same reason Texas didn't offer right away (prior to the staff changes) but they were very intrigued by his skillset. The Texas asst coach actually said to me, "he is more skilled than half the bigs in the big 12". Brady has improved TREMENDOUSLY in the past 3 years and was always much better in July than April/May you have to understand he has no one to push him in Clinton thus he improves when playing vs kids bigger/stronger/more athletic than him on the AAU/Grassroots circuit. He would always start off slow and finish the grassroots season playing like a hi-major big but the inconsistency scared a lot of bigger schools. He has fell in love with the weight room and gotten much stronger and playing against the talent he will face in practice next year will help him to reach a higher level of consistency.

Let's wish him well as it's not like he spurned Ia for ISU, not sure why people feel like downing this kid makes there day or lives better. He is an IA kid who will work very hard with the opportunity he has been given.

Did you ever mention what that factor was? If so, it was more subtle than I expected. TIA.

No you didn't . You said those players make a good group but you don't know how good they will be or that Morris will be around so like I said it is not clear that they are going to be good that year.
I made it clear to anybody who understands English. I also made it clear that I wasn't predicting they would be particularly good -- I said the cupboard wasn't going to be bare, as it was for Floyd when he replaced Orr. Moreover, while Cooke and Burton haven't played for ISU yet, they have played major college basketball, which is a much better indicator of what they will add than if it had just been high school or JC ball. Cooke started at PG for a P5 school as a freshman.

I made it clear to anybody who understands English. I also made it clear that I wasn't predicting they would be particularly good -- I said the cupboard wasn't going to be bare, as it was for Floyd when he replaced Orr. Moreover, while Cooke and Burton haven't played for ISU yet, they have played major college basketball, which is a much better indicator of what they will add than if it had just been high school or JC ball. Cooke started at PG for a P5 school as a freshman.

Yeah Burton has played and shown that so far he is just ok and Cooke is coming off major hip surgery.

Iowa will struggle that year as well, per your logic, since most of the members of that team has not played yet. I'm not disagreeing with your logic. Just saying.

I agree. Well a lot of them have played (Gesell, Jok, Uhl, Clemmons, Woodbury, Uthoff) but they haven't been very consistent or good except for Uthoff. no guarantee at all they will get back to NCAAs.

What would clone fans say if Iowa got a commit from Ernst?I'm sure there would be the usual derision from them. Seriously don't you guys think it was an early reach by the new coach? What was the hurry could have waited and got someone better.

What would clone fans say if Iowa got a commit from Ernst?I'm sure there would be the usual derision from them. Seriously don't you guys think it was an early reach by the new coach? What was the hurry could have waited and got someone better.
Many IA fans would have been questioning that commit and wondering why McC would recruit a reach like that, especially coming off knee surgery. A lot of fans wondered about A White initially, too.

I would have been highly skeptical of any claims that it was a great get. But if he appeared to fill a need and there was no question of needing the scholarship for somebody else, I doubt if I would have ridiculed the decision.

Not sure how much of an early reach it is. My impression is that Prohm is probably putting a lot of stock in what Otzelberger is telling him, since Otz has been recruiting the kid for some time.

On the flip side of your question's coin, though, have you seen any Cyclone fans bragging about what a great coup it was to get Ernst?

In my uneducated view, he looks like another in a long line of relatively unheralded Iowa prep big men who have gone to ISU and Iowa over the years. Some have never contributed; others have turned out to be really valuable players. It would be nuts to make a solid prediction about Ernst at this point, even if he hadn't suffered a serious injury.

I would have been highly skeptical of any claims that it was a great get. But if he appeared to fill a need and there was no question of needing the scholarship for somebody else, I doubt if I would have ridiculed the decision.

Not sure how much of an early reach it is. My impression is that Prohm is probably putting a lot of stock in what Otzelberger is telling him, since Otz has been recruiting the kid for some time.

On the flip side of your question's coin, though, have you seen any Cyclone fans bragging about what a great coup it was to get Ernst?

In my uneducated view, he looks like another in a long line of relatively unheralded Iowa prep big men who have gone to ISU and Iowa over the years. Some have never contributed; others have turned out to be really valuable players. It would be nuts to make a solid prediction about Ernst at this point, even if he hadn't suffered a serious injury.

Good post Lone Clone. Iowa was taking a hard look at Ernst for a long time. For some reason we never offered, perhaps because we already have Pemsl committed. I've been told a thing or two about Ernst but you know what, I'm not going to bash or predict doom and gloom for a high school kid. I hope he does well for you guys.

And it just may be that at some point down the road Iowa extends an offer to Ryan Kriener. And there's the in the mirror State/Ernst, Iowa/Kriener type commit. Nothing wrong with it.

You're half right. Coach Hoiberg did want to build instant success so he could make the move to the NBA quicker.

However, Fred did bring in Niang and Morris from high school and it took both of them a season to be Big XII ready.

Look at Bleacher Report of yesterday/ probably still there today.

The article was about @5 players blowing up this summer.

And they are in on 2 of them.

Plus they had the kid who de committed from SMU that looks like he can play-- and play this Fall visit campus last weekend.

I think they will be just fine.

Look at Bleacher Report of yesterday/ probably still there today.

The article was about @5 players blowing up this summer.

And they are in on 2 of them.

Plus they had the kid who de committed from SMU that looks like he can play-- and play this Fall visit campus last weekend.

I think they will be just fine.
I'm satisfied with how recruiting has gone so far.

Sure Brady Ernst jumped at the first Power 5 offer he received, but Iowa State is in a two-team race with Oregon for a 3-star 6-8 forward (Simeon Carter) who will be eligible this fall. Bringing in a 3-star forward at a definite needed position at this late in the game would be a great get. Iowa State is also a finalist for 2016 Top 100 Xavier Simpson, a point guard from Ohio, even though that is more than two teams as his finalists at this point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT