Sep 1, 2010
Arizona
Name_____Rebounds____Ast_____2_Pt____3_Pt____FT______Total
Utoff_______8___________5_______3/6_____3/7_____7/7_____22
Uhl________16__________2_______11/16___3/7_____4/8_____35
Gesell_____11__________10______4/12____3/6_____5/8_____22
Ellingson___5___________0_______2/5_____6/13____0_______22
Fleming____7___________7_______9/18____5/14____4/4_____37
Woodbury__13__________2_______13/18___0_______5/5_____31__**_ONLY_1_FOUL!
Williams____1___________1_______0/0_____3/10____6/6_____15
Jok_________5___________2_______5/10____2/4_____0/0_____14
Wagner_____11__________3_______5/9_____0/1_____3/6_____13
Clemmens__1___________8_______5/7_____4/6_____0_______22
Baer________5___________0_______4/5_____1/1_____1/2_____12

Thank you. I sure missing reports from the PTL and wonder if maybe they are being posted in the lounge?

Allow me put this disclaimer upfront: the PTL is not B10 level competition and individual results are not necessarily indicative of future performances. PTL stats should be taken with a grain of salt.

With that out of the way, one of the aspect's about this year's team that has me most excited is the sheer number of legitimate 3PT shooters. Tell me if any of the following players do not belong on that list:

Gesell
Clemmons
Jok
Uthoff
Jones
Uhl
Ellingson
Fleming
Moss

I don't know enough about Williams or Baer. I'm a little skeptical of Uhl and Gesell has not shot as well as he is capable IMO. Nevertheless, at any point in a game, Iowa's line-up will likely include at least 3 players, most often 4 players, who are legitimate 3PT threats. Of course, they still have to knock them down and some are more proven than others but this adds a potency to Iowa's offense we haven't seen in a while. The addition of Ellingson, Fleming, and Jones is a big boost to our outside shooting I think.

Allow me put this disclaimer upfront: the PTL is not B10 level competition and individual results are not necessarily indicative of future performances. PTL stats should be taken with a grain of salt.

With that out of the way, one of the aspect's about this year's team that has me most excited is the sheer number of legitimate 3PT shooters. Tell me if any of the following players do not belong on that list:

Gesell
Clemmons
Jok
Uthoff
Jones
Uhl
Ellingson
Fleming
Moss

I don't know enough about Williams or Baer. I'm a little skeptical of Uhl and Gesell has not shot as well as he is capable IMO. Nevertheless, at any point in a game, Iowa's line-up will likely include at least 3 players, most often 4 players, who are legitimate 3PT threats. Of course, they still have to knock them down and some are more proven than others but this adds a potency to Iowa's offense we haven't seen in a while. The addition of Ellingson, Fleming, and Jones is a big boost to our outside shooting I think.
I agree that you have to add disclaimers to some of those guys as 3-pt shooters. JU and Jok both get an unqualified yes. Gesell has found his game and it's midrange. Drives to the hoop and 3pters compliment that. Clemmons should be better this year but last year I would classify him as a complimentary 3pt shooter too. Uhl is better than he showed last year but not sure what that means this year. Jones, Ellingson, Fleming sure look good. Moss does too- on film. Think we'll get more than one consistent shooter out of that mix. But post-JO I'll wait to see it in real games.

First point, I'm confused since Williams wasn't there on Thursday, how did he put up 15/1/1?

Second, Wagner had a bye (along with Jones), so how did he put up 13/3/11?

Third, if Ellingson and Fleming could combine to go 11 - 27 from the arc every night, sign me up. And I say that being a guy that would rather watch players drive and dunk.

Big picture, thanks, it's nice being able to see them lined up instead of digging through each box score.

Maybe a different Williams??? Maybe Wagner too?
First point, I'm confused since Williams wasn't there on Thursday, how did he put up 15/1/1?

Second, Wagner had a bye (along with Jones), so how did he put up 13/3/11?

Third, if Ellingson and Fleming could combine to go 11 - 27 from the arc every night, sign me up. And I say that being a guy that would rather watch players drive and dunk.

Big picture, thanks, it's nice being able to see them lined up instead of digging through each box score.

Maybe a different Williams??? Maybe Wagner too?

Wagner did not have a bye. Hutton and Jones did. Wagner plays on the same team as Peter Jok. The Williams appears to be Malik Williams, from Mt. Mercy.

Wagner did not have a bye. Hutton and Jones did. Wagner plays on the same team as Peter Jok. The Williams appears to be Malik Williams, from Mt. Mercy.

Oops, I knew it was Hutton and was thinking Wagner for some reason.

There are what, 300+ teams in the NCAA D1? There are what, maybe 10-15 elite point guards. We are hardly alone.

He's not a gamechanger obviously, but considering his leadership, floor general abilities, and his steady offense, I'd say he's top 30 at least

Reactions: unIowa
I think Mike is going to have a break out year.

The last 2 seasons he's had to miss off season workouts and deal with injuries, foot, and hand. This year he's not only injury free but has a lot more free time as a graduate to be in the gym and work on his game.

I expect Mike to make major strides this year on being more consistent scorer to go along with running the team.

If he could bottle that Carolina game he would be considered an elite game changer imho. Hopefully his shot really comes around this year.

Cmon. "Just under that level" is a stretch at best.

It isn't, he was masterful last year on deciding when to push the pace and when to pull back...under appreciated but incredibly valuable (and one of the best in the BIG in this area). He finished at the rack better last season and his mid range pull-up game is filthy, he was really good on a really good team last year.

A quick look at point guards in the Big Ten, and there are several teams that would love to have Mike Gesell. Frankly there are some teams that would love to have Anthony Clemmons as their starter! The guys came a long way last year and should be a strength on the Iowa team.

I going to enjoy them while we have them.

There are 351 men's division I basketball teams and I think 347 women's.

I will believe our new freshmen and rs Ellingson can short 3s at a high percentage not based on Prime Time, but Big Ten conference. They get way too many wide open stand still threes in PT. They will not see those in conference. Shooting percentage will drop considerably and many shots they get this summer will not even be launched due to good defense in the league.
I am happy to have them on the team, but they will need time to become good perimeter shooters capable of impacting a game in our favor.

It is Revelation...which contains revelations...

Iowa needs elevated PG contributions to move up into the top 10-20 teams...pretty evident when you watch the games...

It is Revelation...which contains revelations...

Iowa needs elevated PG contributions to move up into the top 10-20 teams...pretty evident when you watch the games...

Iowa needs an elite player, period, to move into that level. Not just an elite point guard. Your obsession with trying to detract from one of the best point guards in the Big Ten makes you look foolish.

The last 2 seasons he's had to miss off season workouts and deal with injuries, foot, and hand. This year he's not only injury free but has a lot more free time as a graduate to be in the gym and work on his game.

I expect Mike to make major strides this year on being more consistent scorer to go along with running the team.

Actually he had the arm injury. He had to rest that for a while....but still a lot of off season to go.

I expect all of our seniors to have good seasons. They all had decent years last season, and they have achievable improvements to be had. Same with Jok & Uhl.

We will be a better team next year, and MG will be part of the reason for that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT