ADVERTISEMENT

PTL Week 1 Thread

StormHawk42

HR Legend
Nov 3, 2009
Just be easier to post all things PTL in one thread. Especially for those of us who don't live nearby and want some updates.

I believe it starts tonight. I'm really curious to hear how Dale Jones does since he'll probably be the newcomer who gets the most PT next year.

Edit: people wanted to use separate threads so that's what we'll do

Last edited:
Reactions: Touchdown_Iowa
Same here. I'm excited to hear about Dale Jones. If he's the stretch 4 everyone is talking about, he's going to help usher Iowa basketball into the new age of basketball. Spread the floor, dribble drive, and shoot threes.

Yes, to anyone that is going to the games tonight, updates would be greatly appreciated!

With so many new players there is much to look forward to this PTL season.

For me, Ellingson and Fleming are the shooters I'll be watching closely.

I'll be looking to see if Jok has taken his game to the next level where he can start becoming a legit go to scorer. He has the potential...would be nice to see him up his game.

Fleming, Hutton, Wagner just walked in together. Fleming and Hutton same height, Wagner maybe an inch taller. Talked with Baer's dad. He has grown to 6'8" 200 lbs. They want him at 210 by season. Christian Williams looks legit 6'6". Standing right next to Darius Stokes and maybe an inch shorter.

Reactions: DanL53 and nu2u
Watched first half of Christian Williams game. Very long, unselfish, constantly looking for teammates when he touched the ball. But he didn't get the ball much. Only took one shot that I saw and it was a smooth pull-up jumper that went in. Very thin, will definitely need some time in the weight room.

Moved over at half. Uthoff in street clothes. Uhl looks thicker. McDonnell from UNI looks like he is going to be a good one.

Edit: Uhl just drained two threes, nothing but net. Smooth.

Reactions: nu2u
Watched first half of Christian Williams game. Very long, unselfish, constantly looking for teammates when he touched the ball. But he didn't get the ball much. Only took one shot that I saw and it was a smooth pull-up jumper that went in. Very thin, will definitely need some time in the weight room.

Moved over at half. Uthoff in street clothes. Uhl looks thicker. McDonnell from UNI looks like he is going to be a good one.

Edit: Uhl just drained two threes, nothing but net. Smooth.

Edit: Dale Jones and Melsahn Basabe standing side by side. Nearly identical height and frame.

Reactions: DanL53
Jok/Wagner/Soukup team absolutely destroying Jones/Basabe/Hutton/Price at the half by a score of 71 to 35.

Wyatt Lohaus, Jok and Soukup lighting it up from 3 and Ahmad Wagner is a total beast on defense. Completely disrupting everyone he guards. Had a huge dunk to end the half.

Dale Jones is having a tough first game. Certainly not afraid to shoot, he missed his first half dozen or so before hitting two straight 3's. Hasn't hit again since. Hangs out on the perimeter and has a number of turnovers. Hutton is a much better ball handler than I expected, but is struggling to finish anything. He plays very hard and aggressive. I think he has two points.

Dale Jones opens the half with 5 straight on a couple gorgeous moves. Problem is Jok and Lohaus are having a 3 point contest and each hitting about 80%. Crazy shooting.

Last edited:
Jok/Wagner/Soukup team absolutely destroying Jones/Basabe/Hutton/Price at the half by a score of 71 to 35.

Wyatt Lohaus, Jok and Soukup lighting it up from 3 and Ahmad Wagner is a total beast on defense. Completely disrupting everyone he guards. Had a huge dunk to end the half.

Dale Jones is having a tough first game. Certainly not afraid to shoot, he missed his first half dozen or so before hitting two straight 3's. Hasn't hit again since. Hangs out on the perimeter and has a number of turnovers. Hutton is a much better ball handler than I expected, but is struggling to finish anything. He plays very hard and aggressive. I think he has two points.

Dale Jones opens the half with 5 straight on a couple gorgeous moves. Problem is Jok and Lohaus are having a 3 point contest and each hitting about 80%. Crazy shooting.

GREAT 12.....like others have said.....keep it coming. TKS!

Reactions: supahawk

Jok has a pretty pretty hot. If he is consistent and focused can be really good.

TOP 7...by minutes
PG Gesell / Clemmons
G Jok ... really impressive
F Uhl ... really impressive
F Uthoff / Dale Jones (Jones can stroke it ...I would suspect Fran will get him playing defense)
C Woodbury

Next group (3 spots for 8-9-10) ... anyones' guess..
Baer --- wouldn't surprise me he is in this group
Hutton --- the kid can play D...and he likes it.
Wagner --- he is my pick to be #8 in minutes.
Fleming / Ellington --- I would think one of them is Joks' back up.
Williams ... his PTL teammates over shadowed his game.

I think everyone of Iowa's freshman are really good team players...and all are willing to understand the learning process...it will be interesting to watch the 2nd group...who plays what.

Sounds like maybe Jones had some jitters being the first 'game' in front of fans, and settled down a bit in the 2nd half. I'm sure he'll work all the kinks out.

I really like the versatility of the players on this team; seems like everybody can play a couple of positions (save for Woodbury).

Like hearing the snippets about Wagner. I think that dude's pure athleticism will be great to see.

I was impressed with all of the newcomers. I think all 4 that I saw have the opportunity to be very solid players...some of them early. Definitely an athletic group.

Jones is an offensive threat for sure. How much he plays may depend on the defensive end of the court. He was wearing a pretty solid knee brace. Hopefully that holds up too. Didn't see much post work from him, but that may have been planned to give Basabe room to work.

Wagner impressed me the most. Big time athlete who was a constant disruptive nuisance on the defensive end. In the way, in the passing lanes, quick and aggressive. I can see him in the rotation just for that. Might not be a big scorer here, but could be a very valuable player.

Really liked what I saw from Hutton too. He isn't very big, maybe 6'5" with shoes on, but he is well muscled and quick. Can create his own shot and slash to the basket. A lot of hustle on D. Didn't see a lot of perimeter shooting.

Williams has a ton of potential, but IMHO he could benefit with a redshirt year. Will need to get stronger and adjust to the faster pace.

All the veterans looked about the same, with the exceptions of Baer and Uhl. Both looked thicker in the upper body. Amazing the difference 10 good lbs can make. Uhl's play was also very impressive. Much more confident.

My starting 5 currently:

Woodbury
Uhl
Uthoff
Jok
Gessell

Clemmons, Jones, Wagner and probably the best of Fleming/Ellingson as the main rotation.

Edit: Dale Jones might be the most courteous basketball player I have watched. Usually the first guy to run over and help someone up, no matter which team he was on.

Also, if Jok can shoot during the season like he did last night, things could really get interesting. He and Lohaus looked like the "splash brothers" out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: nu2u
Wish we could have see. Isaiah moss. Really good scorer athletic and can shoot wen I saw him on tv v bishop Gorman and another Chicago school. Think he had like 17 both games. Might be an instant offense guy off the bench.

The interviews were good, esp Wagner turning down Urban Meyer's FB consideration to commit to IA, his attitude is such a team player, as well as Hutton and Jones.

With the shooters we could put out, should open driving lanes for gesell. He was a much beter driver in the second half of last year.

I'd like to see a five out lineup with Woody out of Jones, Uthoff, Uhl, Jok and a pg. Lots of threes and open driving lanes for Uthoff and Uhl.

Reactions: freemanbrenner
I think you get a decent idea of a player at the ptl. I mean last year guys like tuttle and uthoff played really well. Both had really good seasons. Dickerson struggled in the ptl , and quit the team during the year. There's other examples and things can change but you can get an idea
On a player .
LOL. It's the PTL folks. Glorified YMCA league at best. What a player does or doesnt do MEANS NOTHING. LOL.

Reactions: RocknRollface
LOL. It's the PTL folks. Glorified YMCA league at best. What a player does or doesnt do MEANS NOTHING. LOL.
And there it is....always someone has to be THAT guy. God forbid we have any optimism at all because there is a chance things will go sour and we could be disappointed. What a horrible way to live life, never getting excited or enthused about anything because it just might not be that good. Name me an Iowa player who was a star that didn't FIRST put up big numbers in the PTL. There might be one but I sure cannot remember.

Reactions: icu81222
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT