ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue....YIKES!

Purdue just jumped in to the BiG championship discussion. They may have been there anyway.

I would still put Maryland slightly ahead of Purdue in the "Yikes" factor. Conservatively, at this time Maryland looks to me to be a top five team, nationally. Purdue I believe is somewhere around top ten. It is worth noting that the "Things Change" department has yet to close and Maryland still has two scholarships should more talent present itself.

Michigan State and Indiana could be top fifteen teams. I would not be surprised at all if Michigan State meets that mark. Indiana, I wonder if Crean is up to coaching at that level.

As to Iowa, if we're worried about size, at least three of the Big Ten's biggest teams are listed (if my guesswork counts for anything) ahead of us already. The rest of the league will not overwhelm with talented bigs. And! Many of the leagues best bigs, Costello, Hammonds, Stone is likely a one and done, will be gone by next season.

we are the best team with the best coach in the country
I would still put Maryland slightly ahead of Purdue in the "Yikes" factor. Conservatively, at this time Maryland looks to me to be a top five team, nationally. Purdue I believe is somewhere around top ten. It is worth noting that the "Things Change" department has yet to close and Maryland still has two scholarships should more talent present itself.

Michigan State and Indiana could be top fifteen teams. I would not be surprised at all if Michigan State meets that mark. Indiana, I wonder if Crean is up to coaching at that level.

As to Iowa, if we're worried about size, at least three of the Big Ten's biggest teams are listed (if my guesswork counts for anything) ahead of us already. The rest of the league will not overwhelm with talented bigs. And! Many of the leagues best bigs, Costello, Hammonds, Stone is likely a one and done, will be gone by next season.

By the end of this year, Purdue won't know how to play against a team that isn't defending them with a zone defense, because that's all they're going to see this season.

Due to the massive girth of Purdue's front line, new travel arrangements have been made...

C17.globemaster.arp.jpg

I am not sure who is going to beat Maryland and Purdue next season. Perhaps they will beat each other. Everyone else is probably playing for third, although you never quite know what injuries might factor in.

I am not sure who is going to beat Maryland and Purdue next season. Perhaps they will beat each other. Everyone else is probably playing for third, although you never quite know what injuries might factor in.

Purdue's conference sched was weak as hell last year with their best win at Indiana. I'm not saying they'll be a bad team, but pump the brakes a little bit with Purdue.

Reactions: cocoem
I think Purdue will be solid in the post, but who do they have has guards?? I know they got a transfer from somewhere, but their guards were pretty bad this year. Hammonds & Haas when they were allowed to push & Shove underneath dominated the game. When the games were called tight, then they disappeared and Purdue struggled.

I gotta think Maryland is the clear favorite with Purdue, MSU, and Indiana battling it out for 2nd place.

I think Purdue will be solid in the post, but who do they have has guards?? I know they got a transfer from somewhere, but their guards were pretty bad this year.
This is why I keep saying they're going to be zoned like crazy this year.

I think Purdue will be solid in the post, but who do they have has guards?? I know they got a transfer from somewhere, but their guards were pretty bad this year. Hammonds & Haas when they were allowed to push & Shove underneath dominated the game. When the games were called tight, then they disappeared and Purdue struggled.

I gotta think Maryland is the clear favorite with Purdue, MSU, and Indiana battling it out for 2nd place.

Davis, Stephens, Smotherman and Cline are solid shooting guards....if Hill is good at the pg slot, they will be very solid in the backcourt.

This is why I keep saying they're going to be zoned like crazy this year.

I think Davis was one of the most underrated players in the B1G last year, and is one of the best defenders in the conference. Purdue's other guards are pretty decent shooters. They don't really have a returning PG, but if they add that piece, they will be one of the top 3 or 4 teams in the B1G.

I think Davis was one of the most underrated players in the B1G last year, and is one of the best defenders in the conference. Purdue's other guards are pretty decent shooters. They don't really have a returning PG, but if they add that piece, they will be one of the top 3 or 4 teams in the B1G.
Saying you're just going to find a B1G caliber PG and just add him to the mix is easier said than done if you're not Duke or KY. And it doesn't stop the fact that their bigs are going to cause Purdue to see zone all the time. Their guards will have all kinds of opportunities to show that they're better than they actually are. If they are up to the challenge, Purdue could be contenders. But I note that the season stats show PD 12th in 3pt% in the B1G and 11th in 3pt% defense.
http://www.bigten.org/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2014-2015/confldrs.html

Just an opinion but I think having P. J. Thompson as a sophomore is Purdue's answer at point guard. This Hill kid from Texas-Arlington and their incoming freshman point guard will battle for reserve minutes. Also, as we saw last year having guys that can handle the ball at other positions is a plus...and Purdue has guys that can do that.

Remember how we missed Devyn Marble last year when Minnesota came to town and slapped a tough press on us? Gesell needed help. One guy doesn't break a press, passing over it and having multiple guys to bring the ball up beats a press. Again, Purdue has that.

As to three point shooting. The stats are a little misleading. Yes, Purdue only shot ..335 from three last season. That was 10th in the league. But look at two of the top three teams in the league, Indiana and Minnesota...and they didn't turn out so great. Wisconsin walked away #1, they shot .357

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...ear/2015/seasontype/2/id/7/big-ten-conference

The strength of the Purdue team will be the inside game, obviously. The question about their point guard is a good one. I have no special reason to brag about my guessing skills, last season half the Big Ten finished either better or worse than I predicted by at least two games! But I'm sticking to Purdue being right around a top ten team in the nation as my guess.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT