ADVERTISEMENT

QB Poll

BK Hawk1

Rookie
Dec 13, 2014
I know it's going back a ways for many, but how would you rate the following Iowa QBs 1through 7 ? Chuck Long. Chuck Hartlieb. Matt Rogers. Matt Sherman. Brad Banks. Drew Tate. Ricki Stanzi.

This is an exercise in armchair quarterback masturbation. Hard to compare QB's from year to year. First, Brad Banks had one of the all time great offensive lines of Iowa to hide behind. Next you have to look at who had the better receivers and which team had an above average running game that makes the play action pass work. Chuck long had a phenomenal receiver out of the backfield to throw to(Ronnie Harmon). Which team had a great defense to give you the ball with good field position. Which QB had Ferentz calling the plays and which had Fry calling the plays. I know I would want Fry calling my plays compare to KF. Too many variables to be fair. The fair thing to say is that they all had talent, and were all great players.

Originally posted by bouma1415:
This is an exercise in armchair quarterback masturbation. Hard to compare QB's from year to year. First, Brad Banks had one of the all time great offensive lines of Iowa to hide behind. Next you have to look at who had the better receivers and which team had an above average running game that makes the play action pass work. Chuck long had a phenomenal receiver out of the backfield to throw to(Ronnie Harmon). Which team had a great defense to give you the ball with good field position. Which QB had Ferentz calling the plays and which had Fry calling the plays. I know I would want Fry calling my plays compare to KF. Too many variables to be fair. The fair thing to say is that they all had talent, and were all great players.
you just described message boards, thank you

1. Long

2. Tate, Banks -tie (if forced to name a starter, I'd pick Drew)

3. Hartlieb

4. Stanzi

5. Rodgers

6. Sherman

My write-in candidate: Nathan Chandler.

From Hawkeyesports.com

2003 Honors - - Academic all-Big Ten . . . Coaches Appreciation Award, offense . . . selected to compete on Gridiron Classic post-season game . . . 2003 - - Listed as first team quarterback following spring practice . . .started all 13 games . . . completed 12-19 passes for 129 yards and two scores in opening win over Miami, with no interceptions . . . gained 24 yards on seven rushing attempts . . . scoring passes covered seven and 28 yards . . . completed 8-11 passes for 113 yards and two scores and rushed three times for 14 yards and one touchdown in win over Buffalo . . . completed 7-14 passes for 72 yards and one score in win at Iowa State, while rushing three times for 53 yards . . . completed 15-23 passes for 154 yards and three touchdowns in win over Arizona State, despite throwing first interception of the season . . . passed for 154 yards at Michigan State, completing 11-23 attempts, with one touchdown and one interception . . . completed 17-34 passes in win over Michigan for 195 yards and two scores, while rushing for a six-yard score as well . . . completed 14-27 passes for 153 yards at Ohio State, with one interception, and gained 25 yards on 10 rushing attempts . . . 51-yard completion to Ramon Ochoa set up Iowa?s lone touchdown . . . completed 13-26 passes for 174 yards and two touchdowns in win over Penn State . . . touchdown tosses covered two- and four yards, and he also had a one-yard touchdown run as he rushed for 22 yards on seven carries . . . passed for career-best 243 yards in win over Illinois . . . completed 14-23 attempts, with one touchdown and no interceptions, and rushed for 15 yards on three attempts . . . completed 16-28 passes for 203 yards at Purdue, with one interception and one touchdown . . . ran three yards for Iowa?s first touchdown and passed eight yards to Jermelle Lewis for second score . . . completed 17-28 passes for 210 yards in win over Minnesota, with one TD pass and one interception . . . scoring pass covered six yards and his two-yard TD run gave Iowa the lead in the second quarter . . . rushed six times for 29 yards against the Gophers . . . completed 8-26 passes in win at Wisconsin for 66 yards, including a six-yard touchdown pass . . . ran seven times against the Badgers for 23 yards . . . had best overall game of the season in leading Iowa to 37-17 Outback Bowl win over Florida . . . completed 13-25 passes for 170 yards and one score, with no interceptions . . . scoring pass covered three yards for Iowa?s first touchdown of the day and he ran five yards for Iowa?s second touchdown..
This post was edited on 4/19 5:46 PM by hknation

Long (easy #1 pick)
Rogers, hartlieb, banks tie for second
Tate, stanzi tie for third
Vlassic should be on the list way before sherman, he had a very solid senior year. Jim hartlieb and chandler were also a very fine qbs.

Great question - but not enough information.

Is it most talented QB? Guy you would want in a big game? Guy you most enjoyed watching? Guy that was most valuable to the team he was on? Best career? All have different answers. I'll provide my answer with the caveat that I was born in 1984 and some of these guys were consumed by me in stories and replays. Rankings are based on a mixture of everything.

Brad Banks - Unfair because of the quality of his line and running game. I mean - that team ran the jail break screen and it worked all the time!!! You take out that ISU game and there were almost no mistakes his senior season. I'm not sure there has ever been a less stressful QB to watch. Clearly less talented passer than Chuck, but so perfect for what that team needed. Deserved the Heisman

Chuck Long - Memories and video tape, but man he made it look easy. The consecutive completions he had is hugely underrated. Unfairly loses points from me for being an apparent prick after he left Iowa (I hate strategic bankruptcy). Deserved the Heisman

Drew Tate - Reverse spin move, "the catch", screaming at teammates.... one of the most exciting guys we've had. Really disappointing senior year (and I think he was hurt) cost him legend status for me.

Matt Rogers and Chuck Hartlieb - these guys just seem to blend for me. Feels like the right spot.

Ricki Stanzi - This one was hard.... Such a solid Junior year, but all those picks for TD's hurt him his senior season. I loved this dude, but was never sure how good he was. Came through in big moments, but also made really dumb decisions at other times.. I also never remember yelling "WOW" after a play he made (which was very common with Banks/Tate/Long).

Matt Sherman - I mean he was fine.... but if you're going to include him why not Nathan Chandler?

Originally posted by Hawk and Awe:

Ricki Stanzi - This one was hard.... Such a solid Junior year, but all those picks for TD's hurt him his senior season.
weren't all of the pick-6's during his junior season? as I remember, he was much more conservative his senior year and didn't take the chances that he did the year before.

my list:

1. Long - only #1 ranking for QB's listed
2. Tate - injury senior year limited output. extended so many plays. gritty. put him on the 2002 team...
3. Banks - one of the most exciting years in iowa football history. not entirely due to QB. complete team.

these guys are interchangeable I think
t4. Hartlieb
t4. Stanzi
t4. Rogers
t4. Vlassic

as I recall watching Sherman, he would blow 2 timeouts before there were 10 mins gone in the game. I always felt he was way more frustrating to watch, than enjoyable.

Originally posted by Kurt Warner:
Long (easy #1 pick)
Rogers, hartlieb, banks tie for second
Tate, stanzi tie for third
Vlassic should be on the list way before sherman, he had a very solid senior year. Jim hartlieb and chandler were also a very fine qbs.
Pickles always seems to be left out of these conversations for some reason; perhaps because he was only a starter for one year. He is the only Iowa QB to really do anything in the NFL

Question for old timers who remember. I was exiled from the state in the late 80s and I really missed out on the 1989 season for some reason. Can somebody tell me exactly what happen to Tom Poholsky? I really liked how he looked when he was thrown in as a freshman in 86 when Vlasic went down for a few weeks. Hartlieb's two fine seasons in 87 and 88 kept him off the field and sent McGuire packing, but I really thought Poholsky would be good to go his senior year and keep up a strong player at that position. Did he get hurt or did a young Rodgers actually beat him out?

ADVERTISEMENT