ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

Mar 14, 2003
I want to say that I think it's great how many commits Ferentz & company have been able to receive this early. However, is there reason to be concerned that the majority of these recruits have little to no offers from BCS/Power 5 conference schools? A few do from schools like Illinois, Minnesota, Syracuse, etc...

I just find it a little concerning at how many of these guys just have MAC/FCS type offers and then Iowa.

I want to say that I think it's great how many commits Ferentz & company have been able to receive this early. However, is there reason to be concerned that the majority of these recruits have little to no offers from BCS/Power 5 conference schools? A few do from schools like Illinois, Minnesota, Syracuse, etc...

I just find it a little concerning at how many of these guys just have MAC/FCS type offers and then Iowa.
I think there's an issue that factors into this conversation: these are early commits and not fall backs in the 11th hour. With that in mind, I can see it 2 ways - the positive view being that the staff has evaluated well (and early), the negative view that they can't conjure up any interest from better players. With a couple of exceptions, I'm leaning towards the former. The reason being that there seems to be some real players on the list - I especially like Lattimore, Simon and Akinribade. I did some some digging into Billings (who isn't even rated) and found he is 1st team All Ohio, but hasn't gone to any camps. Bottom line is that the staff seems to be getting players they like.....and fans are either going to give them the benefit of the doubt....or not. Personally, I'm cautiously optimistic, but certainly can't hold a pessimistic view against anybody in light of recent history.

A lot of the commitments best offer right now is Iowa - I'll be interested to see how many bail for other schools if they get more offers.

Would not be surprised if at least 25% of the guys currently committed end up elsewhere when other offers come in.

Concerning to whom? A bunch of DB's that know nothing on free message board ,LOL. Geez, this is such an original thread I would make it a Power 5 thread, LOL.

Concerning to whom? A bunch of DB's that know nothing on free message board ,LOL. Geez, this is such an original thread I would make it a Power 5 thread, LOL.

Some of these kids will turn out to be really good college players. The only down side is when the injury bug bites, there's a big drop off in talent.

Some of these kids will turn out to be really good college players. The only down side is when the injury bug bites, there's a big drop off in talent.

When KF built this program and had a lot of success, he and NP constantly talked about 'Next man in'. When you have very little attrition (like they used to) there isn't a lot of drop off when someone gets hurt because you have someone who has been in the program 3-4 hrs. ready to step in. It isn't about a 'talent' drop off. They have had so much attrition (I've posted FACTS about this numerous times) that they don't have that experienced program guy ready to go, and THAT'S what hurts them. They are trending that way again. Sit back, watch, and enjoy the journey.

Who is responsible for the majority of the attrition?

You guys are always looking for someone to blame. I don't know, God? A lot of injuries. Who is responsible for that? Kids getting into trouble. Who is responsible for that? Kids saying 'they have to be closer to their dying father'. Who's responsible for that? I don't know why a lot of kids left, do you? A few cuz the were unhappy with their playing time, which happens. Especially in todays world. It's big combination of things that there may not be anybody to blame for. I'm sure some pretty sharp people are trying to figure out how to reduce it!

Not looking for blame. I was just asking for informed opinions. There seems to be a little bit of a pattern that has developed. Historically injuries, closer to home, disgruntled with playing time situations tend to level out for programs. When it is abnormally high for a stretch of time I think we can all agree there is generally something or combination of things that cause that. God doesn't all of a sudden decide to cause this pattern. To suggest that would fall into the 'uninformed' type of opinion that some on the board feel warrants name calling.

The attrition is obviously concerning, but it has been happening everywhere in recent years. Sure, you could argue that the players Iowa has lost have been more important to their potential success than most transfers, but it is definitely not something isolated to Iowa. I think it has to do with coaches having to promise certain things just to get kids on campus, and then those kids not willing to wait their turn in most cases if the promises arent immediately honored.

This might surprise some of you and I know it has been stated on here before but the Iowa staff does not look at who else has offered a kid when they decide to offer. They also don't look at Rivals, Scout, ESPN, or 247 to decide whether or not they should offer. They want to see them perform in person or at least on tape before offering. They offer based off of a certain set of criteria that the coaching staff has come up with, not stars or offers on the table.

This might surprise some of you and I know it has been stated on here before but the Iowa staff does not look at who else has offered a kid when they decide to offer. They also don't look at Rivals, Scout, ESPN, or 247 to decide whether or not they should offer. They want to see them perform in person or at least on tape before offering. They offer based off of a certain set of criteria that the coaching staff has come up with, not stars or offers on the table.

Everyone knows this about KF's system, JP. Therein lies the problem. KF is taking too many stretch kids, way too many borderline DI players. We already have a roster full of developmental kids. Not enough impact players. Guess that's probably why our results have been so poor the last few seasons. But hey, if taking kids that Towson State and Old Dominion wanted and that gets you excited, good for you.

Here's a fun fact: Iowa coaches actually use their own star system. Matt Foley, since you think you're so "in" with the program, you probably are aware of this. Tell everyone what the max number of stars you can get from the Iowa coaches evaluation.

If Iowa waited until after these kids played their senior seasons, yes, most would probably have many additional offers. If you like a kid now, though, why wait for someone else comes along? Not having an offer doesn't mean there isn't interest either.

The reality is better recruits usually lead to better college players. No assurance with any one player but as the general statistical result the team with good coaches and generally better recruits will beat the good coaches with generally lesser quality results..

ADVERTISEMENT