ADVERTISEMENT

Renteria competing at UWW Cadet Nationals

1stplacehawk

HR All-American
Feb 10, 2013
Competing at 54 kg with Spencer Lee, Daton Fix, Austin Gomez, Cade Olivas and a handful of other ranked wrestlers. Can't get a much more loaded field than that.

Competing at 54 kg with Spencer Lee, Daton Fix, Austin Gomez, Cade Olivas and a handful of other ranked wrestlers. Can't get a much more loaded field than that.

Would like to see a Lee vs. Renteria match to see how much better Lee is.

Quarterfinal - Paul Bianchi (Wisconsin) won by tech fall over Jason Renteria (Illinois) (TF 12-4)
Cons. Round 4 - Jason Renteria (Illinois) won by tech fall over Tyler Delaware (Illinois) (TF 8-0)

Quarterfinal - Drew West (Iowa) won by decision over Cody Trybus (Maryland) (Dec 3-2)
Semifinal - Paul Bianchi (Wisconsin) won by decision over Drew West (Iowa) (Dec 10-5)

Quarterfinal - Alston Nutter (Wisconsin) won by tech fall over Bryce West (Iowa) (TF 16-8)
Cons. Round 4 - Bryce West (Iowa) won by tech fall over Jarod Maes (Wisconsin) (TF 14-2)

JRent 6th in Greco

5th Place Match - Drew West (Iowa) won by tech fall over Jason Renteria (Illinois) (TF 8-0)

3rd Place - Bryce West of Iowa
5th Place - Drew West of Iowa
6th Place - Jason Renteria of Illinois

Brackets are up...Renteria has Bryce West in the first match and maybe Daton Fix in the quarters. Wow.

Champ. Round 2 - Bryce West (Iowa) won by decision over Jason Renteria (Illinois) (Dec 13-9)

Champ. Round 2 - Bryce West (Iowa) won by decision over Jason Renteria (Illinois) (Dec 13-9)
Renteria constantly in on the legs but West is clearly a much more savy freestyle wrestler at this point in time. I thought both guys looked good

Renteria constantly in on the legs but West is clearly a much more savy freestyle wrestler at this point in time. I thought both guys looked good
Great win for west but I really like what renters brings to the table and think he will be a better get for the hawks.

Is Renteria the kid without much, if any, Greco or Freestyle experience?
Papabear would have to confirm but I believe this is the first summer he has had any emphasis on international styles. The West brothers are very good, but I would bet the farm on Renteria in folk. I'm sure we'll have plenty of overreactions to the loss

Papabear would have to confirm but I believe this is the first summer he has had any emphasis on international styles. The West brothers are very good, but I would bet the farm on Renteria in folk. I'm sure we'll have plenty of overreactions to the loss

That's what I was thinking. Thus these results mean little to me. Good to see him on the mat.

Freestyle results can be a good indication or mean very little. Depends if both parties are experienced in the style as many FS points are nothing in Folk and an expierienced guy can score a lot with those exposures. Also West is a year older and Renteria is moving up a weight class into the class West was at during the season. Jaybo lost a number of FS matches he would not lose in folk. Jake Kerr beat some high level studs in FS by doing counter exposures off their shot.

Alex Lloyd from Shakopee Mn is supposed to really good, he is at 58 Kg. A program to watch close as former Apple Valley front man Jim Jackson is the new coach there.

This is the 1st off season Renteria has dedicated to training the international styles. He competed on the Illinois school boy teams without focused training on the styles a couple years ago.

Lee will have his hands full with Olivas. Lee should get the win, but don't look past Cade
I don't think so. Lee will handle all in the bracket with possible Fix being the exception. Kid is just too good. The rest of the guys are the best in the US but Lee has already proven to be the best in the world. Fix's size, strength and defense may slow Lee down but Lee will win.
Olivas has to get through Austin Gomez first I believe.
Olivas will have a much tougher time with Gomez than Lee would have with Olivas. Toss up match here but Gomez is the more dangerous guy and his style gives him the best shot against Lee/Fix. Gomez steps up in big matches and is a homerun hitter with feet to back moves.

Freestyle results can be a good indication or mean very little. Depends if both parties are experienced in the style as many FS points are nothing in Folk and an expierienced guy can score a lot with those exposures. Also West is a year older and Renteria is moving up a weight class into the class West was at during the season. Jaybo lost a number of FS matches he would not lose in folk. Jake Kerr beat some high level studs in FS by doing counter exposures off their shot.
From my perspective, and what I've seen with the new rules and all (that everyone seems to agree is much better), I think Freestyle translates very little, if any. Just the back exposure element even from the feet, it's a totally different animal in my book, the approach and caution you have to have on takedowns, etc. I know many people think otherwise, I don't see it. At all.

I've long struggled to get into Freestyle, and recently watched a few matches with Ramos and Metcalf, thinking somehow the new rules would enhance my experience and maybe change something...............and I still can't handle watching it. Not sure what it is, it's just odd to me. Glad our post-grads are doing well, and happy to see the youngsters out competing anywhere they can, but I put zero stock in their placement in Freestyle or Greco events relative to what they could do in Folkstyle.

why no marinelli its right there in ohio. does he not like free.
He's a St Paris Graham kid, pretty much none of their guys go to offseason Free and Greco tournaments. They always have a few show up at big Folk tourneys like Super 32 and Flonats, but for the most part they don't go to big offseason events. With as successful as Jeff Jordan's camps and room is the competition basically comes to them.

Lee teched Fix a couple of years ago. Will be interesting to see if the gap has closed, but still think Lee has the upper hand.

Olivas beats Renteria 6-2. Jason was down 4-2 and was extremely close to getting exposure on two separate occasions with a gator roll. He tried it one last time in desperation and gave up late exposure. Not a bad showing from Jason. Cade has much more freestyle experience and I do believe the wrestlers are about the same age even though Jason is a year ahead in school. Keep on getting better young man.

Watched the Fix-Lee match....Some observations...Fix a lot bigger than Lee. Ref really wanted to get Lee on passivity from the start. Even tried to get him after Lee had been initiating all the shots and got white paddled when he tried to give Fix one point. Just weird and worth mentioning. Anyways, Fix just really good at impromptu scoring in freestyle. He scored all of his points off of Lee's shots. Lee looked like he couldn't believe it. Remember when you were so used to winning that when the ref goes to raise the other guy's hand, your hand wants to automatically go up? Kind of like that.

Reactions: letsgohawks44
Watched the Fix-Lee match....Some observations...Fix a lot bigger than Lee. Ref really wanted to get Lee on passivity from the start. Even tried to get him after Lee had been initiating all the shots and got white paddled when he tried to give Fix one point. Just weird and worth mentioning. Anyways, Fix just really good at impromptu scoring in freestyle. He scored all of his points off of Lee's shots. Lee looked like he couldn't believe it. Remember when you were so used to winning that when the ref goes to raise the other guy's hand, your hand wants to automatically go up? Kind of like that.
We'll still take Lee in Folkstyle though right? :D

ADVERTISEMENT