ADVERTISEMENT

Rich get richer wbb

Nile High

HR All-American
Sep 30, 2002
UConn has received a commitment from Strong, the #1 high school recruit in America. This fills up their allotment of
15 scholarships and leaves no room for adding from the transfer portal... think
Hailey.

If all of UCONNs kids had stayed healthy this year you’re likely looking at two undefeated teams playing tomorrow (unless they played earlier this year and I don’t remember). There was a ton of talent in sweats on their bench last night. I know—chemistry and such—but egads.

Paige will get her Natty, and I hope that for her.

HVL will end up at the Hawkeyes, at least I hope.

Not a huge HVL fan…as a player, not a person. If she were on our current team she’d be behind 4 players and maybe even Gabbie….🤷‍♂️

I get your talking next year and I’m happy with whatever Lisa wants, but..::

If all of UCONNs kids had stayed healthy this year you’re likely looking at two undefeated teams playing tomorrow (unless they played earlier this year and I don’t remember). There was a ton of talent in sweats on their bench last night. I know—chemistry and such—but egads.
Tbf, Iowa could've been undefeated this year as well, had they not pooped around in their close losses and got in their own heads against Indiana.

Reactions: amahawk and Chuck C
Please check out the normal WBB threads for more insight on all of this. This post screams "I don't watch WBB outside Iowa"
  • On HVL: HVL is not a fit for Iowa and Iowa is not a fit for her. For multiple reasons. Her style of play is not a fit with Bluder's sytem, for one. She thrives in the mid-range and Bluder has basically eliminated that from her offense except for occasional post players moves. We also need a PG -- HVL is a SG. We don't need more shooters, we have plenty of options at the 2 next year (Feuerbach, McCabe, and freshman Mallegni -- who has the best offer list of any recruit since Clark). This season she tried playing PG and it was a disaster for her. She will now want to somewhere that can develop her for the W and Bluder is not known for that. She will be looking for a program that focuses on D.
  • On Strong: UConn getting Strong is good for us. It helps us with our chances of getting Brynn McGaughy. We're her best offer after UConn and she just visited campus and it reportedly went very well. Look at how it turned out for us last time UConn passed on a recruit in favor of one ranked slightly higher. Also, it means UConn is now full for next year and they can't grab anyone from the portal. Another win for us. IMO Geno is retiring after next year (Paige's last year) anyway -- he certainly doesn't have many years left. Wouldn't be surprised to see her txfr to Duke or South Carolina then.

Last edited:
I suppose if Gino wanted Brynn and vice versa, he would find a spot for her.

Actually it would have been an epic rematch with revenge for one of them as UConn and USC played earlier this year. But yeah, they're definitely two loaded teams. I'd put money on them meeting in next year's final right now.

Please check out the normal WBB threads for more insight on all of this. This post screams "I don't watch WBB outside Iowa"
  • On HVL: HVL is not a fit for Iowa and Iowa is not a fit for her. For multiple reasons. Her style of play is not a fit with Bluder's sytem, for one. She thrives in the mid-range and Bluder has basically eliminated that from her offense except for occasional post players moves. We also need a PG -- HVL is a SG. We don't need more shooters, we have plenty of options at the 2 next year (Feuerbach, McCabe, and freshman Mallegni -- who has the best offer list of any recruit since Clark). This season she tried playing PG and it was a disaster for her. She will now want to somewhere that can develop her for the W and Bluder is not known for that. She will be looking for a program that focuses on D.
  • On Strong: UConn getting Strong is good for us. It helps us with our chances of getting Brynn McGaughy. We're her best offer after UConn and she just visited campus and it reportedly went very well. Look at how it turned out for us last time UConn passed on a recruit in favor of one ranked slightly higher. Also, it means UConn is now full for next year and they can't grab anyone from the portal. Another win for us. IMO Geno is retiring after next year (Paige's last year) anyway -- he certainly doesn't have many years left. Wouldn't be surprised to see her txfr to Duke or South Carolina then.
Josh A.
Definitely could use some size. McGaughy would be a huge pickup.

Reactions: Torg and amahawk
Josh A.
Salty shikreto.

Has a nice ring to it. ;)

The degree of difficulty playing for teams like UCONN, the old Tenn. teams, etc. is extremely low, not very impressive. Easy to cash in conference titles, final 4s, title game appearances, and some championships when the deck is stacked.
The Big East is an absolute joke in WBB. One of the few very good coaches (Duffy @ Marquette) just left for VTech. Creighton is really the only other perennially tough team but I don't think I've ever seen them get higher than 7 or 8 seed in the tourney.

That gives UConn the #1, #4, and #18 overall recruits in this year’s recruiting class. It goes with the overall #1 2020 recruit and the overall #1 2021 recruit.

Reactions: millah_22
I wish that PG from Colorado still had some eligibility and we threw the kitchen sink at her. She was nasty.
Deedee Haggeman is a VERY similar player in the portal from Michigan State. Actually many would say better, at least according to her HS espn rank (top 20) versus Sherrod’s (not ranked, IIRC). She would be a home run. Hopefully Raina can use her Michigan roots to sway her. On top of being an elite PG, she comes from a program that plays with pace — a real differentiator in terms of fit.

Deedee Haggeman is a VERY similar player in the portal from Michigan State. Actually many would say better, at least according to her HS espn rank (top 20) versus Sherrod’s (not ranked, IIRC). She would be a home run. Hopefully Raina can use her Michigan roots to sway her. On top of being an elite PG, she comes from a program that plays with pace — a real differentiator in terms of fit.
I still think you should pay a visit to Amoore and give her an offer she can't refuse to play for Iowa.

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
UConn has received a commitment from Strong, the #1 high school recruit in America. This fills up their allotment of
15 scholarships and leaves no room for adding from the transfer portal... think
Hailey.
Probably a good chance someone from UConn hits the portal. Someone knows they will be sitting on the pine next year.

Reactions: DewHawk
Paige will get her Natty, and I hope that for her.

HVL will end up at the Hawkeyes, at least I hope.
I would take HVL but I doubt she chases a natty at Iowa. I think she either ends up back at Louisville or another contender.

If Bluder wants HVL then she could certainly make some compelling arguments on why coming to Iowa and playing under her guidance would be a good fit.
Assuming that HVL fits chemistry wise, something I would never be able to judge, the thing that needs to be asked is, "Does Iowa have a shot at a title next year if HVL transfers?" They are going to be so young in so many places I'm not sure they realistically do. I imagine HVL will look for a school that has a legit shot at a title. Maybe go to USC to help out JuJu. Maybe UCLA has room for her. Even Ohio State or Indiana? I just think UConn and South Carolina don't have any room for her.

Reactions: Moral
HVL is going to look for a place that will raise her draft stock. I think she's all too aware that going to LSU hurt her more than helped, and she's getting out of dodge to find a decent place where she can shine and start immediately. And that place won't be Iowa.

However, do you often see transfers within conference? I dunno, just asking. 🤔

However, do you often see transfers within conference? I dunno, just asking. 🤔
Sara Scalia: Minnesota to Indiana
Mila Reynolds: Maryland to Purdue
Ashley Owusu: Maryland to PSU (via VT)

It’s not unheard of. Depends what she’s seeking. Does she want to win a B1G title? Or does she want a completely new experience? Depends what motivates her.

I’m just saying she is a MUCH better FIT and much more REALISTIC target than HVL. Bluder recruited her in HS, she is connected with a couple players on IG, for example. She knows Iowa / the B1G and we know her. Again — she comes from a program that plays fast.

There are 2-3 other transfers in the portal who also fall into this boat (Shey Cezki - PSU, Maddie Scherr - KY, Talia Von Oelhoffen - Oregon St, to name a few — and in that order in terms of best to worst fit IMO). HVL wouldn’t even be a top ten target for us tbh realistically or in terms of fit. And again I promise she has ZERO interest in Iowa. Zero.

Last edited:
Curious what Ediger will do and if she chooses to leave. She will be a senior with very few minutes available.

Reactions: shikreto
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT