ADVERTISEMENT

Rigors of WNBA

mr12182

HR MVP
Gold Member
Jan 14, 2009
Any concern that Caitlin is physically worn down from her season and will be injury prone during the upcoming season? I know she’ll have some time off but once the season starts, will the league or owners ever allow her to have a night off?

Any concern that Caitlin is physically worn down from her season and will be injury prone during the upcoming season? I know she’ll have some time off but once the season starts, will the league or owners ever allow her to have a night off?
I feel like Caitlin has pushed herself for most of her life. This will obviously be quite different with entirely new rigors she will need to navigate. I just feel that a person with experience regarding effort followed by rest will know how to take care of her body. Just my opinion.

Reactions: Ree4 and Hawksfor3
The difference is she may feel like she has the weight of the WNBA world on her shoulders…and not take care of herself from the pressure to perform…

I do think she will be fine but it's certainly not easy after 38 games and accounting for having the highest usage rate in the country and then getting 2-3 weeks off and then having to play 41 more games. I'm not underestimating her at all ( nobody ever should) but the WNBA is physical.

I do think she will be fine but it's certainly not easy after 38 games and accounting for having the highest usage rate in the country and then getting 2-3 weeks off and then having to play 41 more games. I'm not underestimating her at all ( nobody ever should) but the WNBA is physical.
I don’t know. She’s 22 in prime condition. Kids are used to playing hoops year ‘round. It’s not like playing 50 football games in a year, which would set you up with orthopedic issues for life.

You ever hear Gustafson describe her schedule?

She, at most, gets 2 weeks off after international play, then after the WNBA get another 2 weeks before heading back to an international team.

If Pancake can handle it I am sure Caitlin can.

I don't think Gustafson's minutes per game in her early WNBA years were close to what will be expected from Caitlin.

I don't think Gustafson's minutes per game in her early WNBA years were close to what will be expected from Caitlin.

I dont think her minutes per game this year will be anything close to Caitlin's. 20 more minutes on a court every two or three days is not much of a factor compared to practice, flying commercial, in the WNBA, around the country, etc. Only thing I said was that players currently have been going year round, non stop, for years. Think that Caitlin is at least tough enough to handle it for a year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT