ADVERTISEMENT

Rudock will thrive in Harbaugh system

What if we just don't think he'll be that successful? Will you be bitter that your assumption of him thriving at Michigan was incorrect?
First post, huh? Lots of that lately............been banned?

What if we just don't think he'll be that successful? Will you be bitter that your assumption of him thriving at Michigan was incorrect?
First post, huh? Lots of that lately............been banned?
Kid has the tools. He was handcuffed by the Iowa staff. Kid hand the ball off to RB and throw 10 yard outs to the sideline.

Reactions: hwksforlife
Kid has the tools. He was handcuffed by the Iowa staff. Kid hand the ball off to RB and throw 10 yard outs to the sideline.

Yes, KF & GD ran out on the field and forced him to check down.

I hope JR does well. Perhaps his receivers will get more separation. Perhaps better pass patterns will enable them to get open. But there was no one in the pocket with him forcing him to check down - what, 30-40 times this season?

Good luck at Mich JR. We appreciate your effort. I wish we could have surrounded you with more talent.

Reactions: ozziesimmons22

You joined this site in 2013 and it took you over 2 years to come up with that brilliant statement! LOL
And it's so original also. I'm pretty sure you're the first to ever say it. LOL. Ok, after thinking it over, you are probably the 101st. I can't wait to see what you come up with in another 2 years, LOL.

Last edited:
Who cares what he does? We know what he did for us both positives and negatives. He did a solid job but could not get us over the top based on his skill set. He needs more talent around him like they have at Michigan. At the end of the day he's done in one year anyway.

Some seem to think JR will undoubtedly do better due to all that talent he'll be surrounded by. Iowa had the better O-line last year compared to Michigan. Their leading rusher had (if memory is correct) just over 500yds compared to MW who had 812 (who many wished he'd stayed a FB, and GD gone). If Michigan's receivers were so much better, why so many picks since they had so much separation?...Gardner threw 15 while running for his life (or was he just plain bad).
Harbaugh is no doubt an excellent coach, but I don't think he has that much magic to turn Michigan into a 9-10 win team in less than a year even with JR.....jmo

I think it mostly depends upon how much Ruddock improves. This is true of almost every college player from year to year, but especially QB.

If JR develops better pocket awareness and makes better decisions on pass plays, I believe he can indeed succeed at Michigan. He has the physical tools but I believe that his QB IQ and instincts need to catch-up. Just my opinion. Maybe he can put it all together in his final year. I like Jake and hope he does well.

How many QB's are on their roster? Like 9? I know it's a large number for QB's unless they've riffed some.

Right now, I'm not so sure he'll even play.

he is not going to be asked to do alot at michigan. dont turn the ball over and hit the wr when they are open. michigan should have a very good defense and special teams and they will play to that this year

If Rudock does great, I think it makes GD & KF look really bad.

If he doesn't play or starts and doesn't perform well, some people will praise KF & GD for pulling the plug. And some will say CJB should have been starting sooner.

I think it's a no-win situation for KF & GD. I also think the timing of KF's announcement was in part so Jake could weigh his transfer options.

Reactions: DewHawk
Bubba,

Recruiting rankings aside, what sort of talent will Jake have around him? Outside of Funchess, none of the WRs did much for UM last year. I assume that it is expected that Darboh will step up in his second year back from injury, and Jake Butt will be the starting TE, but Michigan's spring game was pretty anemic offensively. What is the OL going to look like? If I recall correctly there was some attrition in the spring at that position.

Michigan has been recruiting well under Hoke, so talent is there. Harbaugh has pretty much shown he'll turn around anything. They should be solid this year.

I think JR will have a better statistical year than Beathard. Still think that Beathard is the better QB, but Harbaugh's system fits JR and he will have better talent around him. I know that not everyone on here will agree, but Harbaugh is a better coach than Ferentz.

Bubba,

Recruiting rankings aside, what sort of talent will Jake have around him? Outside of Funchess, none of the WRs did much for UM last year. I assume that it is expected that Darboh will step up in his second year back from injury, and Jake Butt will be the starting TE, but Michigan's spring game was pretty anemic offensively. What is the OL going to look like? If I recall correctly there was some attrition in the spring at that position.
OL will be fine. WR is a mystery right now.

There is talent, but as with the whole team there was no improvements in development. This is where Harbaugh comes in to the picture. Guy is a genius with getting the best out of players.

Remember, 49'ers were a below .500 when he took over and turned them into a Super Bowl contender.

They also drafted Aldon Smith, had Navarro Bowman, Patrick Willis, Colin Kaepernick, Justin Smith, Frank Gore, Vernon Davis, Anquan Boldin and Michael Crabtree et al.

I'm a 9ers fan (mostly, I like the Bucs because I played on that team in MYFA), and I love what Harbaugh did for them, but it isn't like he took the Raiders to the Super Bowl. The team had talent, just no cohesion. He was more competent than Mike Singletary, sure.

They also drafted Aldon Smith, had Navarro Bowman, Patrick Willis, Colin Kaepernick, Justin Smith, Frank Gore, Vernon Davis, Anquan Boldin and Michael Crabtree et al.

I'm a 9ers fan (mostly, I like the Bucs because I played on that team in MYFA), and I love what Harbaugh did for them, but it isn't like he took the Raiders to the Super Bowl. The team had talent, just no cohesion. He was more competent than Mike Singletary, sure.
There was talent with Singletary and the team sucked. Make no mistake, a good coach makes all the difference.

There is talent, but as with the whole team there was no improvements in development. This is where Harbaugh comes in to the picture. Guy is a genius with getting the best out of players.

Remember, 49'ers were a below .500 when he took over and turned them into a Super Bowl contender.

OL will be fine
signed uofm fans every year of the last 5...
Harbaugh is good but come on... is there a single group of wr's that have proven less than uofm?

Hoke is gone. Harbaugh will have this team ready, I can promise that.

All Rudock needs is a coach who knows what he is doing with QB's

So.....is Ruddock more suited for the Kappernink or Andrew Luck system.

Dont forget what the Harbaugh puke did with Alex Smith as well. If JR starts and plays well we will be looking awfully hard at our coaching staff.

Rudock's arm is not as weak as many make it out to be. Beathard has an absolute cannon, which made Jake's arm look weaker than it actually is. He put up some pretty good stats while he was the starter here and I expect him to do well at Michigan too.

Rudock has great footwork, good pocket presence, is very smart, and has an average arm which is good enough to succeed in college, but I don't see any way he plays at the next level. It's unfortunate the fans turned on him here because he was a good kid and a good QB.

I will be rooting for Rudock, but as long as Beathard stays healthy, I don't think Iowa will miss him too much.

Reactions: ichawk24
Rudock's arm is not as weak as many make it out to be. Beathard has an absolute cannon, which made Jake's arm look weaker than it actually is. He put up some pretty good stats while he was the starter here and I expect him to do well at Michigan too.

Rudock has great footwork, good pocket presence, is very smart, and has an average arm which is good enough to succeed in college, but I don't see any way he plays at the next level. It's unfortunate the fans turned on him here because he was a good kid and a good QB.

I will be rooting for Rudock, but as long as Beathard stays healthy, I don't think Iowa will miss him too much.
He has a Drew Tate arm with none of the Drew Tate intangibles.

I think Jake had the tools to be an above average QB but checking out of plays into a running play or a safe out passing play seem just a lack of confidence on his part. Throwing some of the interceptions he threw, in the Nebraska game for example, looked like he was unsure and maybe pressing. If Harbaugh can fix his mental problems maybe he will become a great pick-up for Michigan, if not he will probably be benched.

Reactions: NomisHawk
I think Jake had the tools to be an above average QB but checking out of plays into a running play or a safe out passing play seem just a lack of confidence on his part. Throwing some of the interceptions he threw, in the Nebraska game for example, looked like he was unsure and maybe pressing. If Harbaugh can fix his mental problems maybe he will become a great pick-up for Michigan, if not he will probably be benched.

I do think there was a confidence issue, in combination with our staff's mentality, particularly Kirk's risk averse/field position focused offense. Jake's most winning quality was that he made the right read and was risk averse. But I go back to that first game of 2013 vs Northern Illinois with that late pick. It lost us the game and I know he knew it too. I think that was a moment that stuck with him a long time and he often chose the safe play even if something bigger was open. He often hesitated before throwing an open crossing route or something down the field. Oftentimes, the only time he would really air it out was when the situation dictated and we were already down by two scores. As cerebral a player as he was - and I really liked that about him - I think he was in his own head too much. CJB seems to trust the receivers a bit more and is more assured in his ability to compete. As scary a moment as it was in the spring scrimmage when he laid a hard hit on Brandon Snyder down the sideline after he intercepted him, but I think it shows Beathard's mentality and toughness. I don't think Jake would have taken off after him - I think he would have hung his head.

I don't know enough about Michigan's or Harbaugh's system to comment on how well he will fit, but my guess is if the already don't have a good option for QB (which they haven't seemed to) having Jake who is a game manager and will help keep you from making a lot of stupid mistakes, I think it could work. I wouldn't expect any electric play or for him to be some kind of revelation there, but if he can lead them to a 7-8 game season with their tough schedule, I think that is a win for him and their program. A lot more than just better QB play would have to happen for them to do better than that IMO.

Reactions: Rocket98
Is Jake even the starter? I watched their spring game and didnt remember seeing him even take the field. I was under the impression he was fighting for the #2 job with someone else. I could take the initiave and search their boards but its easier being lazy, anyone heard is he even the #1 guy?
I wish the kid luck and hope he has a great experience, I thought he handled everyhting a lot better and with more maturity than most people in their early 20's would. I dont like Harbaugh and dont want michigan to be good, so maybe him getting to start having decent stats and Mich losing 8 games would be a great outcome for me.

Dont forget what the Harbaugh puke did with Alex Smith as well. If JR starts and plays well we will be looking awfully hard at our coaching staff.

I might be in the minority, but I thought JR played pretty well last year. If Michigan has a poor running game, a below average defense and lousy special teams, and find themselves needing Jake to win games for them, they are in trouble.

In other words, Jake is not the reason for the teams poor performance last year. He's just not the guy that can overcome a lot of other deficiencies on the team. Actually, he is kinda like Alex Smith.

So, do let us know when its time to start "looking awfully hard at our coaching staff". :rolleyes:

I think every Iowa & Mich fan expects Rudock to suck next year. Mich will be the same old Mich, struggling to make a bowl.
Been a Michigan fan since the 70's, I expect JR to do an acceptable job for Michigan. Since his transfer, I've watched some Iowa games on You Tube, I thought he looked like he was playing in the system, and a good % of Michigan fans expect him to do better for us.

I think JR will have a better statistical year than Beathard. Still think that Beathard is the better QB, but Harbaugh's system fits JR and he will have better talent around him. I know that not everyone on here will agree, but Harbaugh is a better coach than Ferentz.

I don't agree. First I think both will do well. CJ throw s more yards and TDs, Jake less INTs.

Been a Michigan fan since the 70's, I expect JR to do an acceptable job for Michigan. Since his transfer, I've watched some Iowa games on You Tube, I thought he looked like he was playing in the system, and a good % of Michigan fans expect him to do better for us.

New fresh start and a year older id be shocked if he didn't preforms well.

Reactions: nu2u and ichawk24
Is Jake even the starter? I watched their spring game and didnt remember seeing him even take the field. I was under the impression he was fighting for the #2 job with someone else. I could take the initiave and search their boards but its easier being lazy, anyone heard is he even the #1 guy?
I wish the kid luck and hope he has a great experience, I thought he handled everyhting a lot better and with more maturity than most people in their early 20's would. I dont like Harbaugh and dont want michigan to be good, so maybe him getting to start having decent stats and Mich losing 8 games would be a great outcome for me.
I don't think he was on campus yet, finishing some IA classes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT