ADVERTISEMENT

Rudy Yates

edquinn06

HR All-American
Sep 25, 2014
IA-IL-WI
I think he also deserves his own thread. He beat Mitch McKee this past year and was I control the whole match, denies Kris Williams a 4th state championship, and a couple of years ago held his own against Yanni. This kid is a stud and he's only getting better!

Last edited:
Reactions: Huck
Watch some video on Yates on Flo. Looks really solid and being so close to home; IC might be a great place for him to be. We might need Mike Evans to recruit him bc his profile pic on Flo shows him with a fake stache and it looks hilarious. I'm just going off some people on this board saying Iowa has interest but has anyone said he is interested in us?!

Yes, some people more in the know than others have said there is mutual interest. I agree with the OP, tough kids, wrestles like he is having fun and seems to have a great attitude. I think he would be a fantastic fit!

Yes there is interest from both sides. Honestly it would not take much to get Yates here. He wants to wrestle for Iowa. Problem is Suriano & Lee are interested also. Add to the fact that we have 2 pretty damn good lower weight juniors verballed. Not a lot of room in the inn so to speak. With that being said I would REALLY like to get Yates on board. Reminds me of Dennis but a bit more talented.

Spoons I really enjoy your take on Iowa wrestling...IF you were a betting man what is your guess on who we get with this VERY important recruiting class?

Yes there is interest from both sides. Honestly it would not take much to get Yates here. He wants to wrestle for Iowa. Problem is Suriano & Lee are interested also. Add to the fact that we have 2 pretty damn good lower weight juniors verballed. Not a lot of room in the inn so to speak. With that being said I would REALLY like to get Yates on board. Reminds me of Dennis but a bit more talented.
Rudy has much more offense than Dan ever had. I don't see any similarity in styles. They are both short.

Reactions: el dub and HAWKMANN
Gobblin (and Spoons), would it be fair to say that we would really like to get either Suriano or Yates (but probably not both) in this class for continuity the year after Gilman and Clark are done?

I think Lee should be priority #1 at the lower weights and could be thrown in there as a true freshman.

I really like Renteria and Mejia and hope they become Hawkeyes, but they don't really fit the timeline as well as the others. Hard to pass up on the lightweight studs that do fit the timeline when it is just too early to count on these guys being Hawks 100%. I am certain that that is their full intention to become Hawkeyes right now, but that can change. Somebody offers full rides to these two and we don't have as much scholly money - they could go elsewhere.

Last edited:
Question for anyone who has an opinion: At what natural competition weight do you see the following people in 2017-18 (i.e. without regard to where they might fit up or down a weight to be in the Iowa lineup)?

Yates (I see him at 133; he grew from 106-113-126 over past 3 years, with a growth spurt last year to go up 2 weight classes; only1 of the 5 listed here to wrestle @126 this year)
Mejia (I see him at 125 but too early to tell for sure; went from 106-113 and appears to be going 120 in upcoming jr season)
Renteria (Same as Mejia)
Lee (I see him as a career 125; he went from 113-120 from fr to so, but still makes 113--I don't see him growing as much as Mejia/Renteria, but others may disagree)
Suriano (I see him as 125 or 133; he has grown from 106-113-120, and Flo has him ranked at 126 for upcoming season)

lee and mejia-126 renteria-133 yates and suriano-133/141 based on nothing but wishful thinking I want all 5, not realistic or evan fair because some would lose year or two of varsity. lee could wrestle right out of the box then rs later maybe evan oly shirt for 2020 someone else move up when turk graduates could work. sorry I did not follow your premise tarp, I get kind of wound up thinking of possibilities.

Reactions: TarpHawk
I honestly don't feel there is much separation in ability between Yates and Suriano. With the two guys committed from the next class and Lee in the picture I see two scenarios assuming the committed guys are all in. 1. We get Yates or Suriano this year and see what happens with Lee next year and worst case you got Renteria, Mejia and Yates or Suriano even if you miss on Lee. 2. If we for some reason feel Lee is not going to happen, maybe we get Hall and $$$ get tight then we try for Yates and Suriano both. I feel Yates will be a bit easier to land and I would be fine getting him. I don't want to mess around playing who's the favorite trying to get Suriano and end up not being the favorite there and losing Yates in the mean time. Pressure to get Lee would be huge if that happened. Geographically speaking I feel Yates is a great fit too as far as being used to the midwest and not far from home, may not be an issue for Suriano but it can and has been an issue with some kids before.

Reactions: wasdt21
Question for anyone who has an opinion: At what natural competition weight do you see the following people in 2017-18 (i.e. without regard to where they might fit up or down a weight to be in the Iowa lineup)?

Yates (I see him at 133; he grew from 106-113-126 over past 3 years, with a growth spurt last year to go up 2 weight classes; only1 of the 5 listed here to wrestle @126 this year)
Mejia (I see him at 125 but too early to tell for sure; went from 106-113 and appears to be going 120 in upcoming jr season)
Renteria (Same as Mejia)
Lee (I see him as a career 125; he went from 113-120 from fr to so, but still makes 113--I don't see him growing as much as Mejia/Renteria, but others may disagree)
Suriano (I see him as 125 or 133; he has grown from 106-113-120, and Flo has him ranked at 126 for upcoming season)

Yates did move up but he is very short as of last season at least. I don't think he cut much at all at 126 and likely could have easily gone 120. I see 133 as likely top for Rudy unless he shoots up more. Rudy = 125 or 133 IMO.

Mejia = 125 IMO. Maybe 133 but more likely 125 without growing.

Renteria seems more lanky to me and I could see him at 125 or 133. Outside shot at 141 if he hits a big spurt.

Lee= 125 IMO. Good enough to be very good at 133 but I don't think he will be a full sized 133.

Suriano was said to have been a good sized 120 last year cutting a bit. He seems more lanky as well and I could see him at 133 as well with an outside shot at 141.

Reactions: Knight563
suriano is very,very good if you say yates is compareable in talent, that makes me happy. I do believe we will get at least one of them

Yates is fun to watch, I would liken his style to a Cory Clark-type style. Kind of a slick bruiser if there is such a thing. Suriano is probably the more talented of the two and what separates him is his ridiculous takedown defense. He also has probably the best gas tank in his class. Getting either guy is a win for the Hawks. We don't need both, but if we don't get either, well have missed the boat and one these future 133lb studs.

I'm just curious as to how well some of you know a bunch of kids scattered across the country that you're able to determine how much they will grow and weigh in the next 6-7 years.

Reactions: clhawks00
One of the things I like most about Yates is his attitude and demeanor. He goes all out during the match, is physical and very competitive but he also has a side where he likes to have fun with things like the fake mustaches, great to have personalities like him on your team.. He seems like a smart well mannered and respectful kid who can also dish it out on the mat. He went up two classes and beat some tough kids last year. Mckee was a very nice win, not sure Rudy was even ranked at that point. Also beat Townsell and a good kid from Clovis. He then beat Williams and talk was Williams would rebound well the next time around and he beats him worse in the finals. He seemed to pick up momentum and just ran with it. One thing I see in him that was an issue for Moore, Meneely and Dennis at times is his footwork. He is cat quick and has great footwork and changes levels moving in and out very well. He does not hang out in collar ties. Those other guys plodded at times and got caught with the old cement foot, they also depended on power moves and horsing guys around a lot. Even in the loss to Yianni in the Flo finals I loved how he competed and walking off he looked like a kid ready to go some more, anxious for his next shot vs pouting he lost.

MVPFan, that's exactly what I meant about the comparison to Dennis. I should have specified that in my other post. His work ethic/wrestling personality reminds me of Dennis.

Suriano might be a bit pricey but I do like him as well. I really do believe that the Hawks will get either Yates or Suriano but I would be VERY surprised if we got both them.

Honestly if I were to pick one or the other I would lean towards Yates. I just like him a bit better than Suriano but I would be VERY happy with either one.

Pretty simple IMO. Lee and Hall are the targets. Give them boats. After that Mejia is he one to keep. He is a star in waiting. Then I'd look to add Yates,Happel and k.moore.

If that means we don't keep renteria or lose out on suri, rathbun. I m ok with that. I like them but I question if suri has enough offense to when he translates to d1. I like rent bit I love mejias makeup. Ramos part 2.

I recall some kids last year committing after Fargo and some kids when the school year starts or when the wrestling season starts. Probably won't see many guys for another month and a half or so.

Commitments will start coming in July 1st when coaches can start reaching out and making offers to kids after their junior year. Some will commit right away while others will trickle in over the next several months.

Reactions: Knight563
Is there a reason other than wishful thinking that makes you guys think Yates is interested in Iowa? I am not saying he isn't, I just did not know if he said something somewhere that leads people to believe that he is interested in being a Hawk.

I do not think anyone from his school has come to Iowa or am I wrong? He is a hustler and would make for a lot of exciting moments in a Hawk uniform - that is for sure. He will definitely come into college as a well coached wrestler and ready for a college room.

According to Rudy: "I started to dig deep and worked six days a week, twice a day and started to get after it," he said. "I give a lot of credit to Region Wrestling Academy in Indiana. They shaped me into who I am today. I was pretty decent before that and then I really turned the corner. Their coach, Alex Tsirtsis, is probably the best coach I've ever had in my entire life. He's very intense and teaches it like an Iowa-style program and does it all smartly. He has a plan for everything.''

I thought I also saw an interview where he said he liked Iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT