ADVERTISEMENT

Run Game Coordintor - thoughts?

wyldhawk9

HR MVP
Dec 27, 2004
Columbus, OH
Copied below is a shameless repost of mine that didn't get any responses...I'm wondering if anyone noticed anything different in our running game (at scrimmage) as a result of adding the Run Game Coordinator responsibilities to BF. OR if anyone in the know can comment about communication issues between the offensive staff the last few seasons.

(KF spring presser thread). This is a bit of a head-scratcher but may be somewhat enlightening. Take this tidbit for example:

"We're hearing one voice from the run coordinator on, 'This is how this ties in with the O-line. This is what the coach is telling the back, and you need to know that he's pressing the hole here. He's reading this. These are the line calls. This is how it all ties in together,' " (Coach White)

Aren't these typically the kinds of details that normally fall under the OC's responsibility? Perhaps the real problems with the offense have been a lack of effective communication/instruction to the various units on how the game-plan is supposed to work.

Or take this:
White said he has been asking Davis and Brian about putting in a lag-draw running play for Akrum Wadley, "who ripped off a couple the other day." That's one example of how communication has improved.

I'm confused about how implementing the new RGC position has improved this type of request from one coach to another. Were requests such as this one unwelcome previously or what? Something about this new position doesn't smell right, but I am eager to see things improve. So if it works, great.

I'm just really hoping that we don't end up in the situation PSU was in during JoePa's last few seasons where they had co-OC's (one calling run plays and one calling pass plays if I remember correctly).

What does a run game coordinator do?

There will only be one coach calling plays and it's not Brian Ferentz. There are still a lot of Hawkeye fans that are still confused.

Originally posted by GarryO37:
There will only be one coach calling plays and it's not Brian Ferentz. There are still a lot of Hawkeye fans that are still confused.
As confused as Iowa's QBs under Greg Davis?

I would look to other coaching staffs for a hint.

http://www.examiner.com/article/q-a-with-stanford-football-assistant-coach-greg-roman-part-ii-run-game

Q: What is the run game coordinator? Are you designing the plays? Are you imputing the running game for each game? How does that work and how will it manifest itself on game day?

A: Essentially it is designing the running game. Basically taking all the different possibilities and narrowing them down, then on game day, calling the run game. By the time the season rolls around we'll be running on all cylinders hopefully. I will look for a lot of input on game day as well.

Q: So when coach Harbaugh is calling a play, and he wants to run the ball does he asks for a recommendation or are you calling the play?

A: I would say that is pretty accurate. But at the same time it is going to be a lot more flexible then that. There will be times when someone will say "I think this would be good" and I'll say go for it. Every game will be a little bit different. It will be smooth though. When you are on the clock you have to have a play in your hip pocket and you have to be ready at all times for the next call. It is something that we will all be involved in. Everybody has responsibility. I like to build sequences before a game. If everything holds true sometimes you stay with those sequences. Sometimes you need to adjust though. It will be a lot of fun.

With this coaching staff, wouldn't surprise me in the least if our coaches/players do not fully understand the role this position fills. 'Learning on the fly' seems to be pretty much the MO of the Greg Davis epoch during Kirk's reign. Maybe why we had so many players that were still "learning the system" 3 years into it last year.

If it was a demotion for Greg Davis, in terms of reassigning some coordinator duties that previously were part of his job, do you expect that Coach Ferentz would say that publicly? I don't. I would expect him publicly to minimize the impact of the changes rather than saying something critical of a coach who remains on his staff.

This is the type of communication problems I would expect to see with Junior High Volleyball or maybe flag football.

Originally posted by jdv77:

If it was a demotion for Greg Davis, in terms of reassigning some coordinator duties that previously were part of his job, do you expect that Coach Ferentz would say that publicly? I don't. I would expect him publicly to minimize the impact of the changes rather than saying something critical of a coach who remains on his staff.
One should wonder why someone getting such a demotion would remain employed in the first place.

No sheet it's confusing. That's the point.

Run game coordinator is not a real position.

Reminds me of when Paterno had his son promoted to co offensive coordinator and tried to split up run pass play calls.

It makes no sense. You can't have more than one guy calling plays. Part of calling plays is setting up other plays.

It wreaks of desperation.

Kirks plan was to have Davis be a place holder for a few years then move Brian to OC. Obviously things haven't gone as planed and he couldn't fully make the move.

It's all at the expense of the program and winning.

So what's the verdict here?.......Outrage? Ban going to Kinnick? Fire Barta in the literal sense with flammable materials used from Sally Mason's home?

We expect results on these message boards fellas. Not criticisms that lack conclusions and resolution. And don't ask me for advice. You guys are the ones that think this is important stuff that needs to get worked out (or at least discussed about how those who can actually do something about it should). Figure it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMFwFgG9NE8

Originally posted by EvilMonkeyInTheCloset:
So what's the verdict here?.......Outrage? Ban going to Kinnick? Fire Barta in the literal sense with flammable materials used from Sally Mason's home?

We expect results on these message boards fellas. Not criticisms that lack conclusions and resolution. And don't ask me for advice. You guys are the ones that think this is important stuff that needs to get worked out (or at least discussed about how those who can actually do something about it should). Figure it out.
giphy.gif

The fact you posted this at 4:00 in the morning makes it that much better.

Well done. A- effort, B+ execution. This is how you troll kids.

Im a bit of a conspiracy theorist by nature but I fully believe there was a plan to bring BF to prominence by KF that has had to be rushed due to poor results. The problem is by rushing it it made it way to visible.

Prior to BF serving as the run game coordinator the OL, TE and RB's have never had shared meetings to integrate coaching objectives and player awareness across these obviously connected entities. Blame that on who you want but it seems fairly obvious that RB's should have some understanding of blocking schemes and where holes typically develop and why. Hate on BF all you want but if we identify as a running team it seems well past time to raise the level of sophistication and coordination. And yes, it will take some time to thoroughly integrate this approach so if you expected a dramatic difference during the 6th practice in DSM, well, what can I say. Do you brainiacs think this is an Iowa only position?

Originally posted by RocknRollface:
No sheet it's confusing. That's the point.

Run game coordinator is not a real position.
What's confusing? The coaches have explained what the position entails and what BF is doing. Thank you to the poster above who explained again. They have stated that Greg Davis is the only coach calling the plays.

If you still don't understand, then I don't know what to tell you. Stop watching sports?

Originally posted by Arbor1:
Prior to BF serving as the run game coordinator the OL, TE and RB's have never had shared meetings to integrate coaching objectives and player awareness across these obviously connected entities. Blame that on who you want but it seems fairly obvious that RB's should have some understanding of blocking schemes and where holes typically develop and why. Hate on BF all you want but if we identify as a running team it seems well past time to raise the level of sophistication and coordination. And yes, it will take some time to thoroughly integrate this approach so if you expected a dramatic difference during the 6th practice in DSM, well, what can I say. Do you brainiacs think this is an Iowa only position?
Well in the past bascially running the same running scheme it seemed like these RBs Ladell Betts, Russell, Lewis, Young, Greene, etc did not have much issues grasping the blocking scheme. Maybe the issue has been lack of quality running backs the last 3 seasons.

Originally posted by ThatsFootball:

ec

Hmm, not an A+ though. Perhaps I need to include the disregard for the water tower, and the Iowa City Brute Squad/police force and their rampage against people just-drinking beer, to get this thing over the top......

Originally posted by ThatsFootball:

ec

Hmm, not an A+ though. Perhaps I need to include the disregard for the water tower, and the Iowa City Brute Squad/police force and their rampage against people just-drinking beer, to get this thing over the top......
Too many people agree on the water tower (plus we sometimes get a cool led tigerhawk). I would go with no logo at midfield. You throw that it, you're top billing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT