ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Ryan Boyle arriving early

TomKakert

Publisher, HawkeyeReport.com
Sep 16, 2001
Prospects signed are arriving earlier and earlier each summer. I think Ryan Boyle is the earliest for a senior who didn't come in at semester. He's graduating on the 15h of May and will get to Iowa City on May 18th. Here's our spring interview with Boyle.

Q: What have you been doing as far as training this spring? Is it strictly football training for you?

BOYLE: Yeah, I have been doing the Hawkeye weight training program. I have been running just about every day on my own and throwing the ball with some of the guys back here and I have been doing some yoga.

Q: How much throwing have you been doing?

spacer1.gif

BOYLE: I've been throwing in moderation right now. I was out there throwing the other day with some of the wide receivers from Dowling and even some of the guys who have come back for the weekend.

Q: Working with the Iowa weight program that Coach Doyle sent you, how has that gone for you and have you seen the results physically?

BOYLE: Yeah I have seen results. It's a good variety of lifts, stretching, and conditioning. That's all in the package they sent me. So far it's been great and I have seen results from it. I have gotten up to about 220 and my speed has increased as well and my flexibility. I can't wait to get with Coach Doyle this summer.

Q: This recruiting class that is coming in has a lot of in-state guys and it seems like all of you have developed a pretty strong bond with each other. Why have you guys clicked so well?

BOYLE: Every time we are together, there's no awkwardness or anything like that. We really felt comfortable with each other right away. Even if we don't see each other in person for a while, we still talk to each other. It's like a big family already and we can't wait to get there and work this summer and then start camp in August.

Q: A little bit has changed at the quarterback position since you signed with Jake Rudock leaving the program this spring. How has that impacted you and has that changed your mindset going into your freshman year?

BOYLE: Obviously it is more of an opportunity, but C.J. (Beathard) is the guy and Tyler Wiegers is the #2 guy now. I am just looking to go in there and compete and do my best and learn from those two guys and Coach Davis.

Q: You were at a few practices this spring. What are you watching and learning when you watch?

BOYLE: I try to pick up every little thing that I can. I try to focus on different situations and mainly just the calls that the quarterbacks make in terms of formations and plays. I try to learn as much as I can about Coach Davis and his terminology so I can prepare when for when I get there.

Q: When you are planning to get to Iowa City?

BOYLE: I get there on May 18th.

Q: That's coming up very soon.

BOYLE: Yeah, it's coming up very soon. I graduate on May 15th and I will be there on the 18th.

Q: How anxious are you to get to Iowa City and what do you hope to accomplish this summer at Iowa?

BOYLE: I am really starting to get anxious. The day I received the offer, committed, and signed have all been leading towards the day when I get there. I am just looking forward to getting there, starting my summer classes, throwing to the guys, working with Coach Doyle, and learning the playbook.

Q: How much communication have you had with the Iowa coaches since signing day?

BOYLE: I have been talking to Coach Davis and Coach Morgan. I have been talking to Coach Kennedy too. He's a really funny guy and make me laugh. All the communication has been very positive.

Q: What are you most excited about in officially becoming a Hawkeye?

BOYLE: Just getting there and being part of the atmosphere and putting on the pads and the Iowa uniform. I can't wait to get there and run out to Back In Black at Kinnick Stadium and hopefully someday get the opportunity to play.

Q: Have you reflected back on the recruiting process at all? What do you remember about it?

BOYLE: The recruiting process was a stressful time. I did end it earlier than most, but the thing I remember is studying to figure out which school fit me best academically and for football. It clearly showed that Iowa was the perfect fit for me. I am really proud to be going to Iowa.

Q: What number will you be wearing?

BOYLE: I don't know for sure, but I would love to wear #11.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News